NFL Draft

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Texanclaret16
Been Liked: 34 times
Has Liked: 31 times

NFL Draft

Post by Texanclaret16 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:47 am

So just wondering how many on here will be staying up and watching the live NFL draft tonight.

Got me wondering would this set up work in the football world would it make teams more even no big power houses :idea: probably been said every year the draft comes along but I need something to read whilst watching.

As you can tell by my name I’m a Texan so got to wait a while for our first pick.

Texanclaret16
Been Liked: 34 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Re: NFL Draft

Post by Texanclaret16 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:24 am

No surprise at number 1 pick

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11035 times
Has Liked: 5647 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:02 am

if it was on my front lawn I wouldn't watch it, I've watched the odd game but other than the last 5 mins (that they drag out for 30) it's far too boring. Far too much stopping and starting (and adverts)

exilecanada
Been Liked: 235 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by exilecanada » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:01 am

Good subject matter. The draft type system would no doubt be beneficial to footy in order to even the playing field considering the current ‘have, have not’ , out of control footy situation. Unfortunately that ship sailed many decades ago, matter of fact is that ship wasn’t ever designed, never mind built.

I’m with ‘Vegas Claret’ on the advertising issue, all Yank sports, except MLB who only show ad’s after an inning ends, are out of control regarding commercials. I’m waiting for the announcer to say “I’m going for a sh*t, brought to you by……………………”
This user liked this post: timshorts

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:18 am

No, it wouldn't work. The only reason that it wworks in the US is because it is the only show in town that pays top dollar.
If going to play in China for comparable reward was an option if you got drafted by the bills, say, then the system would become too flawed to properly function as a means of enforcing near parity.

The part that would help, I suspect would be to impose roster limits to prevent the likes of Chelsea factory farmimg footballers. If they had to release a player to make them availabl e without a transfer fee in order to sign another one once over their roster limit, yet still had to pay contractual wages, it might limit their willingness to try and monopolise talent at the expense of 'normal' clubs that don't have a rich but transient sugar daddy.