Who is going to vote on Thursday?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
MT03ALG
Been Liked: 422 times
Has Liked: 4481 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Post by MT03ALG » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:47 am

No BREXIT candidate so it will have to be McBeth (UKIP)

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:50 am

Clarets4me wrote:Crass comment, really, Lancs ! You're usually more considered than that ....
UKIP are far more right wing now than they were

As they were pretty much as far right as you could go without being fascist before, you kinda draw the only possible conclusion.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:52 am

MT03ALG wrote:No BREXIT candidate so it will have to be McBeth (UKIP)
Cool

Brexit more important than equal rights for all

Brexit more important than not voting for racists

Brexit more important than not voting for fascists

But yeah, you keep the important stuff at the front of your voting choice.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:05 am

I know you come accross as knowing everything in politics Lancaster but you haven't got a clue who the hardworking candidates in our area are have you?

Maybe best to get on a local community forum near you and share your wisdom on candidates up there?
This user liked this post: AndyClaret

HatfieldClaret
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by HatfieldClaret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:06 am

I want Brexit as much as anyone, and yes I knew what I was voting for.

However, I wouldn't vote UKIP under pain of death.
These 2 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret nil_desperandum

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:18 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:I know you come accross as knowing everything in politics Lancaster but you haven't got a clue who the hardworking candidates in our area are have you?

Maybe best to get on a local community forum near you and share your wisdom on candidates up there?
Don't care to be honest. If you back UKIP, then you back what they stand for.

You might be the nicest, hardest working racist the world has ever seen, but you'd still be a racist.

Last time, when UKIP won the seat (only seat they won) I was perfectly happy with it for the reasons I've highlighted above.

Now?

They are the BNP, and people can ignore that if they want, but don't get all offended when its called out.
This user liked this post: IanMcL

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:19 am

Quickenthetempo wrote: But it will need a lot of Labour candidates getting defeated for the council to change for the better.
Maybe, but along with many, I think you're missing the point. It will be almost impossible for any council make much difference- no matter what it's make-up - if it continues to be starved of money by central government. It's not just Labour Councils who are really struggling and highly critical of the year on year budget cuts. (e.g. Northampton).
And let's also remember that in most cases it's northern seats like ours that have been cut the most.
This BBC article makes grim reading and highlights why local councils are struggling irrespective of who's in control
(It claims Councils have had to absorb cuts of £386 per head).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-46988310" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:20 am

HatfieldClaret wrote:I want Brexit as much as anyone, and yes I knew what I was voting for.

However, I wouldn't vote UKIP under pain of death.
Exactly

if you want Brexit, then just vote Conservative. They will be mega pro-Brexit before you know it with their membership base.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:51 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Don't care to be honest. If you back UKIP, then you back what they stand for.

You might be the nicest, hardest working racist the world has ever seen, but you'd still be a racist.

Last time, when UKIP won the seat (only seat they won) I was perfectly happy with it for the reasons I've highlighted above.

Now?

They are the BNP, and people can ignore that if they want, but don't get all offended when its called out.
You're calling these candidates racist without actually meeting them or knowing anything about them? Wow.

Maybe they know Independents rarely get in and it helps a lot having a party banner? Maybe they know that Conservatives wont get in the seat?Maybe they know how little the Labour councillors do for our area?

But yeah let's think the worst straight away.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:58 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:You're calling these candidates racist without actually meeting them or knowing anything about them? Wow.

Maybe they know Independents rarely get in and it helps a lot having a party banner? Maybe they know that Conservatives wont get in the seat?Maybe they know how little the Labour councillors do for our area?

Mate, you can vote for them, but don't try to tell me its about "local issues"

Cos it isn't.

If you want Brexit, then vote Conservative

If you want non-Brexit, then Green or Lib Dem

If you vote Labour regardless, then vote Labour regardless

But if you vote UKIP in 2019 (crucially different from 2016 UKIP in that they have gone after the Tommy Robinson vote) then there is a limited amount of conclusions to be drawn.

If your candidate is still happy to be in UKIP, then he's happy backing the likes of Tommy Robinson. And the people who vote for him are as well.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:27 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:You're calling these candidates racist without actually meeting them or knowing anything about them? Wow.

But surely you can't stand as a Ukip candidate unless you support their core policies. Does supporting racist policies make you a racist?
From your post one can assume that you don't believe that to be the case, but to most people it would be an unavoidable conclusion to reach.
If they are a good, popular and local then why not stand as an Independent. If as you say they are good and do a lot for the area, then I would vote for them as an Indy, but as soon as they attach themselves to Ukip, then my vote goes elsewhere. I'm sure many others think the same, so why not stand as a " Independent for Local people" (or similar).

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:27 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Mate, you can vote for them, but don't try to tell me its about "local issues"

Cos it isn't.

But if you vote UKIP in 2019 (crucially different from 2016 UKIP in that they have gone after the Tommy Robinson vote) then there is a limited amount of conclusions to be drawn.

If your candidate is still happy to be in UKIP, then he's happy backing the likes of Tommy Robinson. And the people who vote for him are as well.
Tommy Robinson is standing as an independent.

HatfieldClaret
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by HatfieldClaret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:41 am

AndyClaret wrote:Tommy Robinson is standing as an independent.
Are UKIP challenging him for the seat ?

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:42 am

Well we know these candidates are willing to stand for a party that has sought out and courted people such as Yaxley Lennon. From that it's not a great leap to suggest they're racist.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:45 am

tiger76 wrote:I'm confused why brexit is so salient in a local election campaign,but if that's your choice fair enough,i despise Nicola Sturgeon but have a very active and competent SNP councillor so he gets my vote,surely the UK public are smart enough to distinguish between different elections,and the impact that voting can have,take Burnley as an example if Labour have a bad night it's feasible Burnley will go to NOC,it's unlikely but not impossible.
It should be the case but it's clearly not. You can see that from when the Lib Dems were decimated in the local elections following the ConLib coalition. Round me we had some good Lib Dem councillors replaced by pretty poor Labour councillors because of that.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:53 am

HatfieldClaret wrote:Are UKIP challenging him for the seat ?
Hatfield, you need to just do a little research on the " list " system for European Elections ....

Labour, Con, L/Dem, Change UK , UKIP, Brexit Party, Greens etc are all challenging him for the 8 seats available, in the " North West " region ...

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:58 am

nil_desperandum wrote:But surely you can't stand as a Ukip candidate unless you support their core policies. Does supporting racist policies make you a racist?
From your post one can assume that you don't believe that to be the case, but to most people it would be an unavoidable conclusion to reach.
If they are a good, popular and local then why not stand as an Independent. If as you say they are good and do a lot for the area, then I would vote for them as an Indy, but as soon as they attach themselves to Ukip, then my vote goes elsewhere. I'm sure many others think the same, so why not stand as a " Independent for Local people" (or similar).
You would be better explaining that to the candidates (I presume you're local to Burnley/Padiham).

I brought it up with Alan Hosker who is the Lancashire County Councillor now as a lot want him to run for MP next time. I thought he might be better going as an Independent with UKIP dieing since Brexit (although it's coming back because of the balls up) but he thinks it's ******* in the wind as most vote for a party. Then you have the people that know you who will vote.

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:13 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Mate, you can vote for them, but don't try to tell me its about "local issues" ..Cos it isn't.

But if you vote UKIP in 2019 (crucially different from 2016 UKIP in that they have gone after the Tommy Robinson vote) then there is a limited amount of conclusions to be drawn. If your candidate is still happy to be in UKIP, then he's happy backing the likes of Tommy Robinson. And the people who vote for him are as well.
Actually, in Gawthorpe and Hapton with Park, where UKIP have their best chance, it is very much about local issues ...

Both the existing UKIP Councillors are hard working and diligent, and get things done ... local playing fields, dog mess, double parking, cutting back overgrowth, replacing bus shelters are the unglamorous side of their job, and they do it well, and communicate with their constituents regularly, not just 6 weeks before the May elections. Their main selling point is that they're not Labour ..

I agree that UKIP nationally have moved to an anti-islamist agenda since 2015, ( I resigned in Feb 2017, due to this, having stood 3 times at local elections ). My issue was always Sovereignty, as I've said on this forum many times and I have no truck with the new agenda. This did not stop me being listed, for a while, on the " Hope not Hate " website as a right-wing extremist, however ! :D

From your logic, I take it anybody still in Labour are happy with Mr Corbyn's past utterances and leadership, the prospect of Dianne Abbott as Home Secretary, and John McDonnell's chanting of " lynch the bitch " about a Conservative parliamentary candidate, and any body in the Tories are happy with Mrs May as leader and her handling of Brexit. Clearly that is not true, as it is not of all UKIP members ....

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:33 pm

Right, so why are they not standing as independents?

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:29 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Right, so why are they not standing as independents?
Probably the same reason why thousands of Conservative and Labour candidates are still standing, despite their disagreements with their Leaderships ... you wouldn't suggest all Labour candidates are anti-semitic or IRA sympathisers now, would you ?

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:56 pm

So they disagree with UKIPs racist policy then and the way its going?

There would be some evidence of this surely?

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1161 times

Post by Falcon » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:19 pm

I've had two leaflets through.

One from Mark Townsend (Labour) and one (batshit mental one) from Steven Smith (National Front).

I believe the Greens and Conservatives are also standing in my ward, though neither have seen fit to put anything through my door.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:49 pm

Clarets4me wrote:Probably the same reason why thousands of Conservative and Labour candidates are still standing, despite their disagreements with their Leaderships ... you wouldn't suggest all Labour candidates are anti-semitic or IRA sympathisers now, would you ?
I can understand ClaretAndy giving your post a "like", but actually it makes no sense at all, and it's not difficult to explain why.
Yes, there might be Anti-semites in the Labour Party, and Anti- Muslims in the Tory Party, (And there are most likely Irish who are broadly IRA sympathisers in all parties), but the essential difference is that this isn't party policy, whereas if you stand as an official UKip candidate then it is assumed that you share their core beliefs.
As I said in previous post I could well see myself voting for a good independent fighting for local issues, but once they campaign under the UKip flag then there's no way.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:16 pm

....errr...this is a local election...what happens to your bins, parks etc.

Get real and vite local issues.

Euro elections soon. Vote for the shambles of your choice then.
This user liked this post: Caballo

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:40 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:I can understand ClaretAndy giving your post a "like", but actually it makes no sense at all, and it's not difficult to explain why.
Yes, there might be Anti-semites in the Labour Party, and Anti- Muslims in the Tory Party, (And there are most likely Irish who are broadly IRA sympathisers in all parties), but the essential difference is that this isn't party policy, whereas if you stand as an official UKip candidate then it is assumed that you share their core beliefs.
As I said in previous post I could well see myself voting for a good independent fighting for local issues, but once they campaign under the UKip flag then there's no way.
It makes perfect sense, to be honest. People's views change or are in flux most of the time ...

In addition, if you hold strong views on the Government's handling of Brexit, or the levels of immigration etc, and want to have your voice heard, then Labour, Greens & the Lib-Dems are hardly the parties for you. Danger lurks when people feel there is no party/candidate out there to vote for, as I think the " Brexit " party will prove should the Eurpean elections actually take place ....

I agree with "IanMcL", ideally these local elections should be about local issues and competence in your Town Hall. However, when you just know that either Mrs May or Mr Corbyn will take your vote and spin it as an endorsement of " the great job we're doing ", you can quite see why National issues can take over the debate. In past locals, I've voted L/D ( Great councillor, infrequent poster on here ), Con ( worked very hard, retiring this time ), UKIP ( me ! ) and Independent ... :P

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:25 pm

Clarets4me wrote:It makes perfect sense, to be honest. People's views change or are in flux most of the time ...

In addition, if you hold strong views on the Government's handling of Brexit, or the levels of immigration etc, and want to have your voice heard, then Labour, Greens & the Lib-Dems are hardly the parties for you. Danger lurks when people feel there is no party/candidate out there to vote for, as I think the " Brexit " party will prove should the Eurpean elections actually take place ....

I agree with "IanMcL", ideally these local elections should be about local issues and competence in your Town Hall. However, when you just know that either Mrs May or Mr Corbyn will take your vote and spin it as an endorsement of " the great job we're doing ", you can quite see why National issues can take over the debate. In past locals, I've voted L/D ( Great councillor, infrequent poster on here ), Con ( worked very hard, retiring this time ), UKIP ( me ! ) and Independent ... :P
Frankly if you choose to vote or not for a party due to "brexity" / "immigration" issues then you're bonkers. It's not as though you'll have to wait more than a few weeks to express your view on this, meanwhile there's a crisis in local services due to the chronic under-funding and cuts that local councils have been enduring for a decade now.
But to get back to your opening sentence. It's nothing to do with people's views changing. A good local councillor will be elected on local issues, but if they choose to stand on the UKip ticket then one has to assume that they agree with the vast majority - if not all - their core policies. If not then why would the party select you as their candidate?

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:15 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:Frankly if you choose to vote or not for a party due to "brexity" / "immigration" issues then you're bonkers. It's not as though you'll have to wait more than a few weeks to express your view on this, meanwhile there's a crisis in local services due to the chronic under-funding and cuts that local councils have been enduring for a decade now.
But to get back to your opening sentence. It's nothing to do with people's views changing. A good local councillor will be elected on local issues, but if they choose to stand on the UKip ticket then one has to assume that they agree with the vast majority - if not all - their core policies. If not then why would the party select you as their candidate?
Your first paragraph argues against itself, it's how the local councillors deal with the level of funding they're allocated that should be the issue, not the " chronic under funding & cuts " arguement, which is a national issue.

Your 2nd paragraph adds nothing to the old ground, we all know many conscientous and hard working Councillors of all stripes have been voted out, due to National events over the years, and this week will be no exception. There will be hundreds of Labour candidates agreeing on the doorstep that " Corbyn's a fruitcake, and I personally abhor his attitude to the military & giving legal aid to ISIS brides " and hundreds, if not thousands of Conservative candidates nodding, " I agree that May needs to go, and we need a " no deal " Brexit " ....

Will you be voting Labour ? ;)

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:56 pm

Clarets4me wrote:
Will you be voting Labour ? ;)
No - absolutely not. Why do you ask?
I already implied in my posts to you that I wouldn't be.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:01 pm

Clarets4me wrote:Your first paragraph argues against itself, it's how the local councillors deal with the level of funding they're allocated that should be the issue, not the " chronic under funding & cuts " arguement, which is a national issue.
I think it's you that's arguing against yourself. It's EXACTLY as you say. You should be voting for local councillors to deal with local issues, not being influenced by "national issues" like brexit and immigration. (Which is what I said in my initial reply to you. It now appears that you agree).

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:08 pm

I never disagreed ...as stated I've voted for Individuals in the past ... it is however inevitable. Btw the majority of the B&P Independents were Lib-Dems at the time of the Referendum and those individuals were strongly in favour of Brexit !

Just curious as to how you might vote, should you wish to share ! It's a private ballot, however ...

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:31 pm

Clarets4me wrote:I never disagreed ...as stated I've voted for Individuals in the past ... it is however inevitable. Btw the majority of the B&P Independents were Lib-Dems at the time of the Referendum and those individuals were strongly in favour of Brexit !

Just curious as to how you might vote, should you wish to share ! It's a private ballot, however ...
I actually have a bit of a dilemma since no one has sent me any info, and on checking I find that there are only 2 candidates in my ward - Con and Lab.
I have major issues with both parties at NATIONAL level and particularly with Tory funding cuts, BUT, our Tory councillor is both a neighbour and a damn good councillor for our ward so as at previous LOCAL elections I'll be voting for her.

It will be a different matter in the EU elections though - and she knows it!!

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:44 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:I actually have a bit of a dilemma since no one has sent me any info, and on checking I find that there are only 2 candidates in my ward - Con and Lab.
I have major issues with both parties at NATIONAL level and particularly with Tory funding cuts, BUT, our Tory councillor is both a neighbour and a damn good councillor for our ward so as at previous LOCAL elections I'll be voting for her.

It will be a different matter in the EU elections though - and she knows it!!
Hell, from what I'm reading, SHE might not even vote Conservative in the EU elections on May 23rd !! :lol: :lol: :lol:
These 2 users liked this post: nil_desperandum Lancasterclaret

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Wed May 01, 2019 8:04 am

Hell, from what I'm reading, SHE might not even vote Conservative in the EU elections on May 23rd !! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh, I think she will!!!!!
(She's of that type and generation that would vote Tory despite all arguments , but being a very determined lady of that description makes her a formidable councillor, and someone who has worked hard for the community for several decades).

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Wed May 01, 2019 9:31 am

Vote for your local candidate about local issues!
These 2 users liked this post: nil_desperandum tiger76

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Wed May 01, 2019 11:48 am

UKIP

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Wed May 01, 2019 11:54 am

IanMcL wrote:Vote for your local candidate about local issues!
A touch of the " Mandy Rice Davies's " from you there, IanMcL !! :lol:

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Wed May 01, 2019 12:01 pm

I normally do but this time my choice is between Lab and Con and if I was voting on local issues I would go with Lab but as Corbyn will subsequently point to local gains as approval for his policies which I don’t support I will abstain from voting this Thursday.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed May 01, 2019 12:09 pm

drastic as it sounds (and admittedly contrary to what I said earlier in the thread) if you have a choice like that then I think its perfectly acceptable not to vote.
These 2 users liked this post: Dy1geo COBBLE

COBBLE
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 466 times

Post by COBBLE » Wed May 01, 2019 12:35 pm

Perfectly good advice. But I cannot get beyond the thought that the current first past the post system is broken. It disenfranchises usually over half the electorate and their concerns. So Green party it is for me as a protest.
These 2 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret nil_desperandum

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Wed May 01, 2019 3:16 pm

COBBLE wrote:Perfectly good advice. So Green party it is for me as a protest.
No issue...as long as it is a real candidate, who has informed you about local issues they wish to tackle, on your behalf....and you agree with those issues

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Wed May 01, 2019 3:18 pm

Dy1geo wrote:I normally do but this time my choice is between Lab and Con and if I was voting on local issues I would go with Lab but as Corbyn will subsequently point to local gains as approval for his policies which I don’t support I will abstain from voting this Thursday.
....they all do and always have/will.

Your one vote may serve to win the day for someone and not voting, may lose the day.

Will Corbyn's message be the same? Yes.
Will your community issues be tackled? Maybe not.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Wed May 01, 2019 3:20 pm

Clarets4me wrote:A touch of the " Mandy Rice Davies's " from you there, IanMcL !! :lol:
Not sure what that means.

Voting on local issues, for a local candidate, in a local election, seems sensible advice.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Wed May 01, 2019 5:41 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:drastic as it sounds (and admittedly contrary to what I said earlier in the thread) if you have a choice like that then I think its perfectly acceptable not to vote.
No it's not, and I'm surprised that with the views you appear to hold that you posted that.
Everyone should vote and if you don't like the choices you should put "none of the above", or similar. At one extreme you could even write a short essay as to why none of them are worthy of your vote, or at the other simply spoil the paper, but I believe we all have a duty to vote. It's something that our forefathers / mothers fought hard for and we should value.
If everyone who didn't like the field of candidates put "none of the above", it would be a massive wake-up call to the main parties. Not voting sends out the message that you are apathetic or lazy and can't be bothered.
This user liked this post: dsr

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Wed May 01, 2019 5:44 pm

IanMcL wrote:Not sure what that means. Voting on local issues, for a local candidate, in a local election, seems sensible advice.
Her reply when asked to respond to John Profumo's testimony ... " Well, he would say that, wouldn't he ? " .....

I presume that is why you continue to get re-elected for your Council, in what most would regard as unpromising territory for your National party. That, and because you're diligent, trustworthy and hard working, of course ... ;)

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed May 01, 2019 6:03 pm

It’s a shame there are not more independents, it’s probably their best chance in years to get elected.

I also understand people who have choice of the main two parties thinking why spend 20 minutes of my time to put none of the above.

I agree it would send a message, having stood watching votes being counted looking for spoiled voting papers.

On the votes can count, if I remember correctly my mother once won by 19 votes and my dad lost by 6 after 3 recounts.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Wed May 01, 2019 7:45 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote: I also understand people who have choice of the main two parties thinking why spend 20 minutes of my time to put "none of the above".
Most people can write 4 words a bit quicker than that though!! ;)

icu81b4
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by icu81b4 » Wed May 01, 2019 9:04 pm

I haven't read all this thread but anyone who doesn't vote deserve what they get.
This user liked this post: South West Claret.

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Wed May 01, 2019 10:37 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:It’s a shame there are not more independents, it’s probably their best chance in years to get elected.

I also understand people who have choice of the main two parties thinking why spend 20 minutes of my time to put none of the above.

I agree it would send a message, having stood watching votes being counted looking for spoiled voting papers.

On the votes can count, if I remember correctly my mother once won by 19 votes and my dad lost by 6 after 3 recounts.
My parents once arrived home from a day out and passed the polling station at five to nine, for a closing time of nine o'clock. They went in and both voted Liberal; the Liberal won by 1 vote. It does happen.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Wed May 01, 2019 10:46 pm

icu81b4 wrote:I haven't read all this thread but anyone who doesn't vote deserve what they get.
Yes I agree for reasons that I gave in post 50.

SmudgetheClaret
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by SmudgetheClaret » Wed May 01, 2019 11:26 pm

Gonna vote for the French candidate Spoile de vot en sleep....