Who is going to vote on Thursday?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Post by tiger76 » Fri May 03, 2019 11:58 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:Ukip win Hapton

Peter Gill - 752
Labour 318
Green 297
Conservative 163

Turnout was 34%
Blimey nearly 50% of the vote for UKIP there,that's decisive,relatively strong showing by the Greens,nearly coming 2nd,mirrors a lot of overnight results in brexit areas.

UKIP have all 3 seats there now,as the BNP did at one time,seems to be a straight swap between the two for voters.

More results from Burnley.

Bank Hall. Labour hold for Serrish Lone.

Cliviger with Worsthorne. Conservatve hold for Cosima Towneley defeating former Labour MP Peter Pike.

Gannow sees Burnley and Padiham Independent Party's Charlie Briggs hold his ward.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Fri May 03, 2019 12:04 pm

And more news from Burnley.

Gawthopre ward sees Labour's John Harbour hold by just nine votes from UKIP's Karen Ingham.

Queensgate is a Labour hold for Mohammed Ishtiaq.

Rosegrove with Lowerhouse is a Burnley and Padiham and Independent Party gain from Labour for Lorraine Mehanna.

Gawthorpe result shows every vote matters,BAPIP cementing their council presence.

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Fri May 03, 2019 12:10 pm

aggi wrote:I see Boris was proudly declaring that he'd voted conservative in the local elections.

Which was a little strange as there aren't any in London ...
He lives in Oxfordshire, but hey, facts.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Fri May 03, 2019 12:19 pm

More Burnley results.

Lanehead. Laboru hold for Ann Royle.

Trinity. Green Party gain for Sarah Hall from Labour.

Whittlefield and Ightenhill. Burnley and Padiham Independet Party gain from the Conservatives for Emma Payne. She beat Green Party candidate Laura Fisk by two votes.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Fri May 03, 2019 12:32 pm

Rosehill with Burnley Wood. Liberal Democrat gain from Labour for Tracy Kennedy.

Coalclough. LibDem gain from Labour for Howard Baker, a former Labour Mayor before he witched parties.

Burnley now lose control of Burnley again with 22 councillors for the combined opposition's 23.

LibDem leader and former leader Gordon Birtwistle said: "It was good day for the LibDems and opposition parties and a terrible on for Labour."

Town hall talks could be interesting,who will Labour rely on to get their budget through?

aggi
Been Liked: 2113 times

Post by aggi » Fri May 03, 2019 12:38 pm

AndyClaret wrote:He lives in Oxfordshire, but hey, facts.
Fair enough. Although that makes it a bit strange that he deleted his tweet saying he'd voted.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri May 03, 2019 12:49 pm

I would imagine he's almost certain to be registered at his London constituency address, so that he can vote for himself in a GE, and also so that he is a bit nearer to Downing St for when he is elected as PM. :D

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri May 03, 2019 1:20 pm

aggi wrote:Fair enough. Although that makes it a bit strange that he deleted his tweet saying he'd voted.
So he just lied or 'misled' whoever asked the question!

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2319 times
Has Liked: 1039 times

Post by Clarets4me » Fri May 03, 2019 1:38 pm

In summary, Burnley moves to no overall control from a Labour majority .... in practise, Labour will continue, but as a minority administration ...

New Council:

Labour 22 ( -4 )
L/D 8 ( 0 )
B&P Ind. 5 ( +3 )
Con 4 ( -1 )
UKIP 3 ( +1 )
Green 2 ( +1 )
Ind. 1 ( 0 )

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri May 03, 2019 1:40 pm

The B & P independents are ex-Lib Dem aren't they? (pro-Brexit lads and lasses i think)

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3860 times
Has Liked: 2068 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri May 03, 2019 1:41 pm

Bit gutted UKIP lost the Gawthorpe ward by only 9 votes.
Labour hung on to their seat.
Too many people said they couldn't be arsed going to vote but wanted Labour out.

They would of made a difference.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Fri May 03, 2019 1:58 pm

He is registered to vote at his London address - he is a former Mayor of London so had to live there. MPs/rich people may have more than 1 address :roll:

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Fri May 03, 2019 2:00 pm

bfcmik wrote:He is registered to vote at his London address - he is a former Mayor of London so had to live there. MPs/rich people may have more than 1 address :roll:
Hey facts!

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Fri May 03, 2019 2:26 pm

Some local detail,

Former Labour Mayor Liz Monk saw her 2015 majority of 450 disappear in Trinity, and lost to the Green party Candidate by 561 votes.

Another former Labour Mayor, Howard Baker, now standing for the Lib Dems regained Coalclough & Deerplay from Labour by just 30 votes, from the Burnley & Padiham Independents, Labour came in 3rd.

Labour's John Harbour just retained his Gawthorpe seat, by 9 votes from UKIP's Karen Ingham, his majority in 2015 was 887 !!

UKIP's Peter Gill comfortably won Hapton with Park,with a majority of 434 from Labour in the seat vacated by Julie Cooper's PA, Joanne Greenwood. The Green Candidate came third ..

B&P Independent's Lorraine Mehanna defeated Labour's Gail Barton in Rosegrove with Lowerhouse with a 212 majority.

In Rosehill with Burnleywood, Lib Dem Tracy Kennedy retook the seat for her party from Labour's Margaret Brindle, who defected from the Lib Dems in February 2017, with a majority of 242.

The closest race was in Whittlefield with Ightenhill, traditionally a Consevative/Lib Dem shootout. The Conservative's Ida Carmichael retired after 21 years service, but the B&P Independent's Emma Payne took the ward with a majority of just 3, from the Green Party's Laura Fisk ( 593 - 590 ). Conservative Don Whittaker came third with 401 votes, whilst the LibDems polled just 59 votes. The retirement of the much liked & respected Coun. Tom Porter in 2018 seems to have hit their vote hard.

All the other seats were retained by the respective Parties .... full results are here ..

https://www.burnley.gov.uk/about-counci ... sults-2019

AndyClaret

Post by AndyClaret » Fri May 03, 2019 2:38 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:I would imagine he's almost certain to be registered at his London constituency address, so that he can vote for himself in a GE, and also so that he is a bit nearer to Downing St for when he is elected as PM. :D
https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1124259535340933120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AndyClaret

Post by AndyClaret » Fri May 03, 2019 2:38 pm

IanMcL wrote:So he just lied or 'misled' whoever asked the question!
https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1124259535340933120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1640 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Fri May 03, 2019 2:49 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:The B & P independents are ex-Lib Dem aren't they? (pro-Brexit lads and lasses i think)
Burnley is a rarity in having a moderate party that is pro Brexit - these four who resigned from the Lib Dems originally are now five following the results, and they only narrowly missed out on one more.

The entire council falling from Labour's grasp is another key thing I took from it.

Finally, I noticed that the National Front candidate only got a handful fewer votes than the Tory in that ward (Brunshaw).

It is hard to draw too many conclusions from all this because Brexit Party is not standing, and the Tories will be viewed differently after Brexit finally resolves itself, one way or the other. But one conclusion I do have is that the two party dominance in the UK is now over, and it is probable that FPTP is over too.

That will be the long term consequence of Brexit. I suspect it will make us more nationalistic (in a patriotic good way hopefully), but also more green and moderate. A little bit more Scandinavian, in a sense. I welcome it.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri May 03, 2019 2:51 pm

If Brexit means we no longer have FPTP, then its not all bad!

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Fri May 03, 2019 2:54 pm

There appears to be a misconception here ... you can be registered to vote at more than one address, but you cannot vote twice in the same set of Elections .... ie: If Johnson is registered in London and in Oxfordshire, he could vote in Oxfordshire this year, and in London say next year. What you can't do, is vote both in London AND Oxfordshire in local elections on the same day ...
This user liked this post: AndyClaret

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Fri May 03, 2019 4:01 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Bit gutted UKIP lost the Gawthorpe ward by only 9 votes.
Labour hung on to their seat.
Too many people said they couldn't be arsed going to vote but wanted Labour out.

They would of made a difference.
Shows exactly why people should get off their sofas,think there was 3 wards alone in Burnley where a handful of votes could have seen a different outcome,if UKIP have any nous they'll work this ward to death over the coming months,it's the LCC elections cycle next year,but the Greens have shown in Trinity that if you are visible and put the effort in the voters do notice.

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Fri May 03, 2019 4:14 pm

It's not the LCC elections until 2021, next year is Burnley Borough Council again, with the Councillors elected in 2016 up for re-election, should they wish.. ......

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Fri May 03, 2019 4:41 pm

Clarets4me wrote:It's not the LCC elections until 2021, next year is Burnley Borough Council again, with the Councillors elected in 2016 up for re-election, should they wish.. ......
Oh! well in that case UKIP need to stress they are the only alternative to Labour in Gawthorpe,and hope that the electorate are still in an anti-establishment mood.

Just browsing and i noticed UKIP gained a seat in Carlisle by 1 VOTE (Currock and Upperby),perfectly emphasises the reason people should exercise their democratic rights,it can make a difference in a tight race.

Greens performing really strongly everywhere,don't know if the Extinction Rebellion movement has given them extra stimulus,or they are merely attracting protest votes,the EU Elections should reveal the answer.

The Conservatives will be thankful the LCC isn't up for re-election next year,on these numbers they would be swept from office,they maybe swept from office anyway,but who knows how the picture will look in 2 years,impossible to predict the next fortnight,let alone 2 years hence.
This user liked this post: Clarets4me

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Fri May 03, 2019 5:10 pm

UKIP will be gone by then, or wholly BNP in disguise.

I hope those who voted are content with the outcomes. I hope those who didn't still don't care, or they feel a pang of regret!

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Fri May 03, 2019 5:32 pm

https://www.facebook.com/leaveeuofficia ... 698138520/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Fri May 03, 2019 5:34 pm

IanMcL wrote:UKIP will be gone by then, or wholly BNP in disguise.

I hope those who voted are content with the outcomes. I hope those who didn't still don't care, or they feel a pang of regret!
Possibly depends how the brexit outcome goes,some people would consider UKIP are already the BNP in disguise,yet despite all their travails over leaders etc,they haven't experienced the wipe out some envisaged.

Of course the circus comes to town again in a couple of weeks,joy of joys.

Lord Rothbury
Been Liked: 133 times
Has Liked: 68 times

Post by Lord Rothbury » Fri May 03, 2019 5:36 pm

IanMcL wrote:UKIP will be gone by then, or wholly BNP in disguise.

As you reside outside Burnley and quite some miles away you may be unaware that Hapton and Park have returned UKIP candidates for some time. The reason they have continued to have success is because they work very for the ward
This user liked this post: Clarets4me

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri May 03, 2019 6:00 pm

Lord Rothbury wrote:As you reside outside Burnley and quite some miles away you may be unaware that Hapton and Park have returned UKIP candidates for some time. The reason they have continued to have success is because they work very for the ward
No issue with that, but if they are so successful, established and respected, why not stand as independents rather than under the banner of a racist party?
Surely they'd get even more votes?

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Fri May 03, 2019 6:15 pm

Lord Rothbury wrote:As you reside outside Burnley and quite some miles away you may be unaware that Hapton and Park have returned UKIP candidates for some time. The reason they have continued to have success is because they work very for the ward
That is quite true, their other advantage is that they are not the Labour Party, who, rightly or wrongly, are considered to have taken the votes of Padiham residents for granted for far too long ....

Burnley and Padiham have traditionally been strong recruiting areas for our armed forces, and many families contain many former or current servicemen or women.
Labour's current leadership team do not exactly have much appeal to them, I'm hearing !! :)
This user liked this post: Lord Rothbury

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Fri May 03, 2019 6:23 pm

If we leave the EU, why would anyone need to vote for a party, whose purpose is to leave the EU? The danger is that it morphs, wholly, into a nazi party or similar.

Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 727 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Somethingfishy » Fri May 03, 2019 6:30 pm

tiger76 wrote:Blimey nearly 50% of the vote for UKIP there,that's decisive,relatively strong showing by the Greens,nearly coming 2nd,mirrors a lot of overnight results in brexit areas.

UKIP have all 3 seats there now,as the BNP did at one time,seems to be a straight swap between the two for voters.

More results from Burnley.

Bank Hall. Labour hold for Serrish Lone.

Cliviger with Worsthorne. Conservatve hold for Cosima Towneley defeating former Labour MP Peter Pike.

Gannow sees Burnley and Padiham Independent Party's Charlie Briggs hold his ward.
I would say the UKIP candidate won in Hapton/Park because we have another sitting UKIP councillor in Alan Hosker who has done a lot for the wardin sorting out antisocial behaviour, community skips and digging up info on Labours underhanded plans for Burnley Bridge. He actively sorts peoples issues out whilst the others play party politics at town hall. Peter Gill is a friend of his and he said it would help his efforts in getting things done if he had more backup in the chamber. Very much a local level victory i would say but quite why they still represent UKIP i do not know..certainly a handicap in being taken more seriously.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

PutTheWheelieBinsOut
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by PutTheWheelieBinsOut » Fri May 03, 2019 6:30 pm

I hope the results in Burnley will stop this unitary authority idea (merging of local councils) that Labour is pushing dead in its tracks. We just have to look at what happened to our NHS services to know what would happen, empty Burnley town hall offices with lots of jobs going and everything being concentrated in Blackburn.

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Fri May 03, 2019 7:06 pm

PutTheWheelieBinsOut wrote:I hope the results in Burnley will stop this unitary authority idea (merging of local councils) that Labour is pushing dead in its tracks. We just have to look at what happened to our NHS services to know what would happen, empty Burnley town hall offices with lots of jobs going and everything being concentrated in Blackburn.
The recent proposal of a pennine lancs unitary authority originated from Paul White, Tory councillor at Pendle Borough Council.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Fri May 03, 2019 7:27 pm

Clarets4me wrote:Burnley and Padiham have traditionally been strong recruiting areas for our armed forces, and many families contain many former or current servicemen or women.
Labour's current leadership team do not exactly have much appeal to them, I'm hearing !! :)
Apologies for taking this off track, but it's a political thread so I'm sure I'll be forgiven. This is an interesting point, and probably worth a discussion of its own, but its not difficult to imagine plenty of never-Tory working class voters voting for the Brexit Party in the EU elections not only for brexit-related reasons, but also because of disdain for Corbyn. Which is a perfectly rational position, until you realise that the party list for the Brexit Party's North West candidates is led by Claire Fox; a former member of the Revolutionary Communist Party, a party which refused to condemn the IRA bombing of Warrington. She has since been ambiguous about her position on the bombing when it really should be a simple answer, "I condemn the bombings etc etc etc," even if she doesn't believe it, but what's definitely notable is that, if the Brexit Party's current polling transfers to the elections, they are all but guaranteed to win at least one seat in the North West; and, as she's at the top of the party list, it will be her. (The second North West candidate on the party list is a Danish dentist.) So there you go. If you vote for the Brexit Party and you live in the North West, you're voting for a literal communist who refuses to condemn terrorism. Sweet irony.
Last edited by Spiral on Fri May 03, 2019 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Fri May 03, 2019 7:29 pm

IanMcL wrote:If we leave the EU, why would anyone need to vote for a party, whose purpose is to leave the EU? The danger is that it morphs, wholly, into a nazi party or similar.
If we leave the EU,UKIP have no USP to present to the public,and many of their current voters will return to their original home,be it Conservative or Labour in most cases,UKIP has certainly moved sharply to the hard right,borderline BNP in some cases,but a large % of the public will still vote for them in the absence of a Euro-sceptic alternative,until the brexit mess is sorted,they will find it harder to gain media attention and votes in the forth-coming EU elections,purely down to Nigel's mob taking the limelight away from them.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Sat May 04, 2019 10:34 am

It's quite possible of course that Johnson is registered to vote in Oxfordshire, and, of course, it's quite possible that he DID vote in Oxfordshire, but as your own link points out: if he did indeed vote in Oxford, then why did he delete his tweet after it had been pointed out to him that there were no elections in London.
There are surely only 2 possible reasons for this: either he'd lied in his tweet and got caught out because there were no elections in London, (which is his norm), or he did in fact vote in Oxfordshire, but he deleted it because he was embarrassed to admit that he'd voted Conservative.
Which do you think is the most likely?