Who is going to vote on Thursday?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
# 101
IanMcL
Posts: 14020
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:27 pm
Been Liked: 2740 times
Has Liked: 3029 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby IanMcL » Thu May 02, 2019 2:01 am

Clarets4me wrote:Her reply when asked to respond to John Profumo's testimony ... " Well, he would say that, wouldn't he ? " .....

I presume that is why you continue to get re-elected for your Council, in what most would regard as unpromising territory for your National party. That, and because you're diligent, trustworthy and hard working, of course ... ;)

Insightful!

# 102
martin_p
Posts: 3966
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:40 pm
Been Liked: 1478 times
Has Liked: 372 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby martin_p » Thu May 02, 2019 7:34 am

My vote has been cast.

# 103
South West Claret.
Posts: 5023
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:55 pm
Been Liked: 693 times
Has Liked: 469 times
Location: Devon

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby South West Claret. » Thu May 02, 2019 8:08 am

Come on you non voting Muppets get out there and vote, and when I say vote I mean properly and not spoiling it in any way!

.. One exception no voting for the "Con"artists got it or else I send the boys around :arrow:

# 104
Lancasterclaret
Posts: 14318
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:09 pm
Been Liked: 4715 times
Has Liked: 2644 times
Location: Riding the galactic winds in my X-wing

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby Lancasterclaret » Thu May 02, 2019 8:10 am

nil_desperandum wrote:No it's not, and I'm surprised that with the views you appear to hold that you posted that.
Everyone should vote and if you don't like the choices you should put "none of the above", or similar. At one extreme you could even write a short essay as to why none of them are worthy of your vote, or at the other simply spoil the paper, but I believe we all have a duty to vote. It's something that our forefathers / mothers fought hard for and we should value.
If everyone who didn't like the field of candidates put "none of the above", it would be a massive wake-up call to the main parties. Not voting sends out the message that you are apathetic or lazy and can't be bothered.


Fair enough, but I don't think doing that will make a difference (they haven't been bothered by loads of people not bothering to vote before for example)

# 105
pureclaret
Posts: 720
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:38 pm
Been Liked: 188 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby pureclaret » Thu May 02, 2019 8:39 am

I would like to vote but no election in our area so can i go to another?

# 106
nil_desperandum
Posts: 5110
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:06 pm
Been Liked: 1225 times
Has Liked: 2202 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby nil_desperandum » Thu May 02, 2019 9:56 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Fair enough, but I don't think doing that will make a difference (they haven't been bothered by loads of people not bothering to vote before for example)

Yes, but that's sort of my point.
So long as people don't turn up, they'put it down to apathy. It wouldn't happen, but if "none of the above" won then it couldn't be ignored.
But if there was quite a significant "none" vote it would send out a strong message

# 107
deanothedino
Posts: 972
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:34 am
Been Liked: 576 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby deanothedino » Thu May 02, 2019 9:59 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Fair enough, but I don't think doing that will make a difference (they haven't been bothered by loads of people not bothering to vote before for example)

People not voting =/ people casting an invalid ballot.

If you spoil your ballot your turnout is recorded. If everyone who currently doesn't vote, spoilt their paper then the political parties would see it's a clear message.
Last edited by deanothedino on Thu May 02, 2019 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
These 3 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret nil_desperandum Guller Bull

# 108
Lancasterclaret
Posts: 14318
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:09 pm
Been Liked: 4715 times
Has Liked: 2644 times
Location: Riding the galactic winds in my X-wing

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby Lancasterclaret » Thu May 02, 2019 10:00 am

Cheers mate, thought it would be something like that but never really understood it.

# 109
tiger76
Posts: 3945
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:43 pm
Been Liked: 503 times
Has Liked: 1603 times
Location: Glasgow

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby tiger76 » Thu May 02, 2019 10:09 am

deanothedino wrote:People not voting =/ people casting an invalid ballet.

If you spoil your ballot your turnout is recorded. If everyone who currently doesn't vote, spoilt their paper then the political parties would see it's a clear message.


I've only ever spoiled my ballot once in the 2005 GE,it made no difference to the result in a safe Labour seat,but i couldn't bring myself to cast a positive opinion for any of the candidates,equally i didn't want to sit on my hands,and not participate.

# 110
Damo
Posts: 3151
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:04 pm
Been Liked: 1170 times
Has Liked: 1863 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby Damo » Thu May 02, 2019 10:26 am

Really hope there is nobody writing essays in the booths when I get there.
Just stay at home and try to calm down if you dont want to vote

# 111
Lancasterclaret
Posts: 14318
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:09 pm
Been Liked: 4715 times
Has Liked: 2644 times
Location: Riding the galactic winds in my X-wing

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby Lancasterclaret » Thu May 02, 2019 10:27 am

Damo wrote:Really hope there is nobody writing essays in the booths when I get there.
Just stay at home and try to calm down if you dont want to vote


I was in and out in two secs.

Dead easy, with three choices, and two of them being Brexit Parties.

# 112
Damo
Posts: 3151
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:04 pm
Been Liked: 1170 times
Has Liked: 1863 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby Damo » Thu May 02, 2019 10:28 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:I was in and out in two secs.

Dead easy, with three choices, and two of them being Brexit Parties.

Theres only two choices in my ward pal. Hope it's a quick in and out job

# 113
Lancasterclaret
Posts: 14318
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:09 pm
Been Liked: 4715 times
Has Liked: 2644 times
Location: Riding the galactic winds in my X-wing

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby Lancasterclaret » Thu May 02, 2019 10:30 am

Damo wrote:Theres only two choices in my ward pal. Hope it's a quick in and out job


There will be no one there.

Be interesting to see what the turn out is.
This user liked this post: Damo

# 114
Mala591
Posts: 689
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:02 pm
Been Liked: 162 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby Mala591 » Thu May 02, 2019 10:32 am

#IWillNeverVoteAgain

...until my last vote - which obtained a clear democratic majority- has been enacted by my national parliament

# 115
Clarets4me
Posts: 2517
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:31 pm
Been Liked: 1261 times
Has Liked: 508 times
Location: Ightenhill,Burnley

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby Clarets4me » Thu May 02, 2019 1:30 pm

South West Claret. wrote:Come on you non voting Muppets get out there and vote, and when I say vote I mean properly and not spoiling it in any way!
.. One exception no voting for the "Con" artists got it or else I send the boys around :arrow:


" Corbynite Labour supporter threatens Conservative voters with violence " .... you've got to admit, it's a kinder sort of politics ! :lol:

# 116
IanMcL
Posts: 14020
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:27 pm
Been Liked: 2740 times
Has Liked: 3029 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby IanMcL » Thu May 02, 2019 3:07 pm

That's not necessary, Southwestclaret. No one, in their right mind, would vote Conservative, unless told to by their masters!
This user liked this post: South West Claret.

# 117
claretonthecoast1882
Posts: 1727
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:59 pm
Been Liked: 872 times
Has Liked: 27 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby claretonthecoast1882 » Thu May 02, 2019 3:09 pm

IanMcL wrote:That's not necessary, Southwestclaret. No one, in their right mind, would vote Conservative, unless told to by their masters!



Not quite true, if the other options were Labour or SNP most would

# 118
IanMcL
Posts: 14020
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:27 pm
Been Liked: 2740 times
Has Liked: 3029 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby IanMcL » Thu May 02, 2019 3:17 pm

Not many/any SNP down your way!

I am sure the real Labour vote will hold up.

# 119
claretonthecoast1882
Posts: 1727
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:59 pm
Been Liked: 872 times
Has Liked: 27 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby claretonthecoast1882 » Thu May 02, 2019 3:19 pm

IanMcL wrote:Not many/any SNP down your way!

I am sure the real Labour vote will hold up.



Like the last few years ?

# 120
Corky
Posts: 877
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:37 pm
Been Liked: 305 times
Has Liked: 256 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby Corky » Thu May 02, 2019 3:40 pm

Given what our forefathers went through to gain one man one vote (against establishment wishes) I am always horrified by the casual approach some show to voting.
These 4 users liked this post: South West Claret. martin_p bfcjg longsidepies

# 121
South West Claret.
Posts: 5023
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:55 pm
Been Liked: 693 times
Has Liked: 469 times
Location: Devon

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby South West Claret. » Thu May 02, 2019 4:33 pm

IanMcL wrote:That's not necessary, Southwestclaret. No one, in their right mind, would vote Conservative, unless told to by their masters!


Yes of course Ian what was I thinking about :D

# 122
Top Claret
Posts: 2220
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:50 am
Been Liked: 464 times
Has Liked: 456 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby Top Claret » Thu May 02, 2019 7:08 pm

I went to vote and only had two options Labour or Conservative, I was hoping for more choices. If an independent had been up I would have voted independent, or anyone, but Labour or Conservative.

I was left with no choice but to scribble multiple lines across my paper.

# 123
Damo
Posts: 3151
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:04 pm
Been Liked: 1170 times
Has Liked: 1863 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby Damo » Thu May 02, 2019 7:52 pm

I finally got round to voting just now (conservative)

# 124
Guller Bull
Posts: 567
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:01 pm
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 201 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby Guller Bull » Thu May 02, 2019 7:57 pm

Corky wrote:Given what our forefathers went through to gain one man one vote (against establishment wishes) I am always horrified by the casual approach some show to voting.


They were not covered by the slime that is modern day politics.

Once upon a time politicians were representative of the ward they lived in. Now they represent a colour (Red/blue/green) and are trained in bullshit. Scared to step outside party politics, they do what they do to stay safe and electable.

I need more than this - I need representing - I need modern politics which is doing the right thing and working together to make it right regardless of your views.

if you cant do this - **** off.

# 125
Hroogar
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:07 pm
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby Hroogar » Thu May 02, 2019 7:59 pm

2 choices,,,,,,,,,,,,,,male or female, conservative or labour............one thing made my mind up ..............?

# 126
South West Claret.
Posts: 5023
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:55 pm
Been Liked: 693 times
Has Liked: 469 times
Location: Devon

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby South West Claret. » Thu May 02, 2019 8:54 pm

Damo wrote:I finally got round to voting just now (conservative)


What were your main reasons Damo?

# 127
Damo
Posts: 3151
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:04 pm
Been Liked: 1170 times
Has Liked: 1863 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby Damo » Thu May 02, 2019 9:27 pm

South West Claret. wrote:What were your main reasons Damo?

The main reason was of the way my local, Labour controlled council have mismanaged local funds.
(I say mismanaged, because nobody has been investigated by the police yet)

I will vote the same way in the next GE for similar reasons

# 128
tiger76
Posts: 3945
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:43 pm
Been Liked: 503 times
Has Liked: 1603 times
Location: Glasgow

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby tiger76 » Thu May 02, 2019 11:52 pm

Rumours on the BBC feed of lots of spoilt ballots due to Brexit frustration,depends what you call lots,these are local elections so why people would prioritise Brexit as an issue baffles me,but there you go,it's their choice,at least they bothered to vote.

UKIP polling well in Sunderland,including 2 gains from Labour,UKIP might regret not standing more candidates.

Greens also doing well,could be a good night for the smaller parties.

Turn-out pretty poor,especially among the youth,well! i never.

# 129
aggi
Posts: 4120
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:31 am
Been Liked: 1027 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby aggi » Fri May 03, 2019 1:25 am

I see Boris was proudly declaring that he'd voted conservative in the local elections.

Which was a little strange as there aren't any in London ...
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

# 130
hampsteadclaret
Posts: 3238
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:25 am
Been Liked: 1101 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby hampsteadclaret » Fri May 03, 2019 2:34 am

I spoil my ballot paper for the first time ever tonight.

Not interested that it was a local election, I wanted to register a one-man protest about the state of UK politics.
If there was a GE tomorrow, I don’t know who I would vote for, and that’s a first for me.. disgusted with nearly all of them.

- Just watching the local election coverage on the BBC (at 1.37 am) - a few minutes ago there was a leading Labour councillor on, from Sunderland, pretty much incandescent about the state of play. I feel his pain. Sunderland delivered the biggest LEAVE vote in the country, and they have lost ten Labour councillors (out of 43 nationally!) there already tonight.
In places like this many local people want Labour to deliver Brexit for them.
Many places in the north and elsewhere ( Labour voting areas) voted for OUT and expected the Labour party to push this for them. Corbyn and the Labour leadership are letting them down on this, many Labour voters feel, particularly in places like Sunderland.

Corbyn is trying to be all things to all men, and That Bloody Barry Gardiner is talking in circles as usual, not answering the questions.... he is still not getting it the dope... still denying what the ballot box is gradually telling him.
Apparently on the doorstep, many are complaining about the non-delivery of the Referendum result (as I am) - if there was a GE tomorrow with existing Labour policy ( and lack of action) re Brexit, they are going to get a bloody nose.

Margaret Beckett on telly now, in view of results already in....is dodging questions and talking absolute ********, still banging on about ‘people not knowing what they voted for’..! Very poor really because I know she is pretty smart. She is acting dim and confused, trying to make sense of the early results - now telling me that I didn’t know what I was voting for.

STFU woman, I knew exactly what I voted for, stop insulting me. She is acting dim, not quite sure what the early results mean.

My point is, really, that I have no-one to vote for... in a GE.

My usual party is letting me down...economically I am sort of with them, but on Brexit they are not doing it.

I could never vote Tory if I live to 100.. look at the shambles they have created on all levels, and still floundering as I type.

LibDems I see as irrelevant and duplicitous - they would shoot their grannies for a sniff of power.. tuition fees, Clegg and the ludicrous ‘pact’ with the Tories where they got sh@t on.. even now they want to forget that a referendum ever took place... what a bunch.

Greens and Independents = wasted votes (plus that Green MP from Brighton, always on the telly, truly does my head in).

UKIP = no... no need to explain.

So politically I am homeless.
I think many people are like me.. hundreds of thousands probably.
They will not turn to the Tories.. ( or that new ‘party’ with Chukka, no chance)

Confused.

** apologies for the slightly rambling post, well it is 2.53am.

# 131
nil_desperandum
Posts: 5110
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:06 pm
Been Liked: 1225 times
Has Liked: 2202 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby nil_desperandum » Fri May 03, 2019 8:32 am

hampsteadclaret wrote: Sunderland delivered the biggest LEAVE vote in the country,

Nowhere near correct. It was about 61%. I often disagree with you on brexit, but at least you are usually honest.
And if you really looked at the issues in Labour in Sunderland you would have to conclude that there were very big issues with the Labour Council there, and these were more than likely the reason for their losses. (I admit that brexit would have played some part though).

1. Boston (East Midlands): 75.6%
2. South Holland (East Midlands): 73.6%
3. Castle Point (East of England): 72.7%
4. Thurrock (East of England): 72.3%
5. Great Yarmouth (East of England): 71.5%
6. Fenland (East of England): 71.4%
7. Mansfield (East Midlands): 70.9%
8. Bolsover (East Midlands): 70.8%
9. East Lindsey (East Midlands): 70.7%
10. North East Lincolnshire (Yorkshire & the Humber): 69.9%
11. Ashfield (East Midlands): 69.8%
12. Havering (London): 69.7%
13. Hartlepool (North-east England): 69.6%
14. Tendring (East of England): 69.5%
15. Stoke-on-Trent (West Midlands): 69.4%
16. Doncaster (Yorkshire & the Humber): 69.0%
17. Cannock Chase (West Midlands): 68.9%
18. Basildon (East of England): 68.6%
19. Barnsley (Yorkshire & the Humber): 68.3%
20. Harlow (East of England): 68.1%

# 132
Quickenthetempo
Posts: 8127
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:35 am
Been Liked: 1808 times
Has Liked: 1039 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby Quickenthetempo » Fri May 03, 2019 9:14 am

Any local results in?

# 133
tiger76
Posts: 3945
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:43 pm
Been Liked: 503 times
Has Liked: 1603 times
Location: Glasgow

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby tiger76 » Fri May 03, 2019 9:22 am

nil_desperandum wrote:Nowhere near correct. It was about 61%. I often disagree with you on brexit, but at least you are usually honest.
And if you really looked at the issues in Labour in Sunderland you would have to conclude that there were very big issues with the Labour Council there, and these were more than likely the reason for their losses. (I admit that brexit would have played some part though).

1. Boston (East Midlands): 75.6%
2. South Holland (East Midlands): 73.6%
3. Castle Point (East of England): 72.7%
4. Thurrock (East of England): 72.3%
5. Great Yarmouth (East of England): 71.5%
6. Fenland (East of England): 71.4%
7. Mansfield (East Midlands): 70.9%
8. Bolsover (East Midlands): 70.8%
9. East Lindsey (East Midlands): 70.7%
10. North East Lincolnshire (Yorkshire & the Humber): 69.9%
11. Ashfield (East Midlands): 69.8%
12. Havering (London): 69.7%
13. Hartlepool (North-east England): 69.6%
14. Tendring (East of England): 69.5%
15. Stoke-on-Trent (West Midlands): 69.4%
16. Doncaster (Yorkshire & the Humber): 69.0%
17. Cannock Chase (West Midlands): 68.9%
18. Basildon (East of England): 68.6%
19. Barnsley (Yorkshire & the Humber): 68.3%
20. Harlow (East of England): 68.1%


Not everything is about bloody Brexit FGS,Otherwise the Lib Dems and Greens wouldn't be gaining traction in heavily leave council areas.

Thankfully some voters are able to distinguish between national and local issues.

The European Elections will show if the mood of the country is changing or not.

You don't need to be Einstein to surmise that the Brexit Party will poll strongly in the 20 places listed above,and should top the vote in those,essentially replacing the 2014 UKIP vote like for like.

# 134
Lancasterclaret
Posts: 14318
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:09 pm
Been Liked: 4715 times
Has Liked: 2644 times
Location: Riding the galactic winds in my X-wing

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby Lancasterclaret » Fri May 03, 2019 9:25 am

tiger76 wrote:Not everything is about bloody Brexit FGS,Otherwise the Lib Dems and Greens wouldn't be gaining traction in heavily leave council areas.

Thankfully some voters are able to distinguish between national and local issues.

The European Elections will show if the mood of the country is changing or not.

You don't need to be Einstein to surmise that the Brexit Party will poll strongly in the 20 places listed above,and should top the vote in those,essentially replacing the 2014 UKIP vote like for like.


That is true most years Tiger, but I suspect Brexit will have an impact on most (if not all) areas.

Conservatives losing heavily to Lib Dems suggests brexit is a factor, whether you want to acknowledge that or not. And they are losing to them in seats that the Lib Dems can win in a GE.

Too early to say about labour, but the actual fact they are going to lose 100+ seats should set alarm bells ringing in Corbyn HQ

# 135
hampsteadclaret
Posts: 3238
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:25 am
Been Liked: 1101 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby hampsteadclaret » Fri May 03, 2019 9:29 am

131.. I was attempting to be honest.

1) I did not look it up, to check.
2) I did not just sit on my sofa and make it up
( not my style that)
3) I must have heard one of the commentators /MP’s say it... they were wrong and I repeated their error.

Thanks for trying to suggest I was dishonest though.

I have no idea what you mean by ‘very big issues with the Labour Council there’.. I am not as well informed as others.
That would be because I don’t spend 20 hours a day on here, for months, fixating on Brexit related issues.. where people don’t properly listen to what others say, where the same circular arguments take place day after day, and where none of those involved change their position by one inch, no matter what they read or hear.

Thank God I’m not in that club.

** the point remains about Sunderland and disaffected Labour voters, though my statistic was unknowingly wrong... I must have upset you with my LibDem comments

Not like you to be pedantic.

# 136
Bordeauxclaret
Posts: 5387
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:36 pm
Been Liked: 1692 times
Has Liked: 871 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby Bordeauxclaret » Fri May 03, 2019 9:34 am

What a strange apology.

# 137
martin_p
Posts: 3966
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:40 pm
Been Liked: 1478 times
Has Liked: 372 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby martin_p » Fri May 03, 2019 9:38 am

hampsteadclaret wrote:131.. I was attempting to be honest.

1) I did not look it up, to check.
2) I did not just sit on my sofa and make it up
( not my style that)
3) I must have heard one of the commentators /MP’s say it... they were wrong and I repeated their error.

Thanks for trying to suggest I was dishonest though.

I have no idea what you mean by ‘very big issues with the Labour Council there’.. I am not as well informed as others.
That would be because I don’t spend 20 hours a day on here, for months, fixating on Brexit related issues.. where people don’t properly listen to what others say, where the same circular arguments take place day after day, and where none of those involved change their position by one inch, no matter what they read or hear.

Thank God I’m not in that club.

** the point remains about Sunderland and disaffected Labour voters, though my statistic was unknowingly wrong... I must have upset you with my LibDem comments

Not like you to be pedantic.


Is pointing out that someone is very wrong classed as pedantic now?

# 138
tiger76
Posts: 3945
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:43 pm
Been Liked: 503 times
Has Liked: 1603 times
Location: Glasgow

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby tiger76 » Fri May 03, 2019 9:55 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:That is true most years Tiger, but I suspect Brexit will have an impact on most (if not all) areas.

Conservatives losing heavily to Lib Dems suggests brexit is a factor, whether you want to acknowledge that or not. And they are losing to them in seats that the Lib Dems can win in a GE.

Too early to say about labour, but the actual fact they are going to lose 100+ seats should set alarm bells ringing in Corbyn HQ


I haven't seen the results in detail,but there appears to have been a significant Con-LD swing in remain areas,and yes several of those include parliamentary targets for the Lib Dems,brexit will have been a factor no doubt,by the same token this could simply be the Lib Dems recovering a lot of their natural councillor base,which was decimated during the Coalition years,don't forget the last time these seats where contested in 2015,there happened to be a GE on the same day,so turn-out would have been roughly double last night's,a lot of traditional Conservative voters might well have stayed at home,can't say i blame them TBH.

Labour's problem seems to be that in trying to square both sides of the brexit circle,they have ended up pleasing nobody,you'd expect the government to lose seats in what is essentially mid-terms,but for Labour to go backwards isn't a good sign for Corbyn.

Would suggest a political earthquake in the European Elections,if they happen,the winners so far are the Lib Dems and the Greens,UKIP'S vote has held up better then i expected,although they have had a mixed night.

# 139
hampsteadclaret
Posts: 3238
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:25 am
Been Liked: 1101 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby hampsteadclaret » Fri May 03, 2019 10:02 am

:lol: 136..

That was not an apology, it was an explanation.
Can you see the words apologise or sorry in there?

137.

‘very wrong’ ha :D

The pedantic bit was copying and pasting that list of stats to make an unimportant point.

I have already explained that I quoted someone else (who was wrong)..

Did you not see that?
Are you thick or blind or both?

See a few of you have migrated here from the other zzzzz thread.
That would be because most sane people left that one weeks ago, it’s populated now by a handful of fanatical
Leavers who tragically can’t think of anything else to do... same old comments.. round and round and round again.*
You need someone to talk to though, so you’re here.
Anything useful to say about last night..?

* not directed at Lancaster Claret.

# 140
Bordeauxclaret
Posts: 5387
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:36 pm
Been Liked: 1692 times
Has Liked: 871 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby Bordeauxclaret » Fri May 03, 2019 10:20 am

To be honest I think you are far too angry that you’ve been called out on your lie to apologise.
Perhaps when you calm down.
This user liked this post: Greenmile

# 141
claretonthecoast1882
Posts: 1727
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:59 pm
Been Liked: 872 times
Has Liked: 27 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby claretonthecoast1882 » Fri May 03, 2019 10:30 am

Like little snappy piranhas some of these rabid EU boys

# 142
Clarets4me
Posts: 2517
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:31 pm
Been Liked: 1261 times
Has Liked: 508 times
Location: Ightenhill,Burnley

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby Clarets4me » Fri May 03, 2019 10:46 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:Any local results in?


I believe Burnley, Pendle, Rossendale, Hyndburn, Ribble Valley & Calderdale all started their counts this morning ... nationally, 40% or so of Councils counted overnight, and the rest started this morning

Burnley's count started at St Peter's Centre at 10am with early results due between 12 - 1, I would suspect ....
This user liked this post: Quickenthetempo

# 143
hampsteadclaret
Posts: 3238
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:25 am
Been Liked: 1101 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby hampsteadclaret » Fri May 03, 2019 10:49 am

140.. Bordeaux..’called out on your lie’.

So every time on here someone innocently puts an incorrect stat. down ( think it happens most days) they are a liar are they..?

I was on the previous forum, and on here since the start and plenty of punters will disagree with some of my comments ( fair enough) - I think they would agree though that I am honest on everything.

Can I suggest then that you’re a trashy little tramp, happy to make stuff up, and incapable of making posts about anything which could be regarded as substantive?

# 144
aggi
Posts: 4120
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:31 am
Been Liked: 1027 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby aggi » Fri May 03, 2019 10:55 am

martin_p wrote:Is pointing out that someone is very wrong classed as pedantic now?


Is this the first time you've been on this messageboard?
This user liked this post: martin_p

# 145
martin_p
Posts: 3966
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:40 pm
Been Liked: 1478 times
Has Liked: 372 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby martin_p » Fri May 03, 2019 10:58 am

hampsteadclaret wrote::lol: 136..

That was not an apology, it was an explanation.
Can you see the words apologise or sorry in there?

137.

‘very wrong’ ha :D

The pedantic bit was copying and pasting that list of stats to make an unimportant point.

I have already explained that I quoted someone else (who was wrong)..

Did you not see that?
Are you thick or blind or both?

See a few of you have migrated here from the other zzzzz thread.
That would be because most sane people left that one weeks ago, it’s populated now by a handful of fanatical
Leavers who tragically can’t think of anything else to do... same old comments.. round and round and round again.*
You need someone to talk to though, so you’re here.
Anything useful to say about last night..?

* not directed at Lancaster Claret.


Typical Brexiter, never checks any facts. Calm down, you were wrong, it happens.

# 146
aggi
Posts: 4120
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:31 am
Been Liked: 1027 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby aggi » Fri May 03, 2019 11:07 am

In terms of Sunderland, according to the radio there are significant issues with the children's services there which they think was a big factor in the vote.

I suspect that Labour and Conservative lost votes both for not delivering Brexit and trying to deliver Brexit.

My guess would be that pro-Brexit votes went to either UKIP, independents (a fair few ex-tories I think) or just too ****** off to vote and pro-Remain votes went to Greens and Lib-Dems.

On top of that the Lib Dems probably recovered some of the seats they lost in 2015 (due to being blamed for the coalition's failings), Greens probably picked up some due to the prominence of climate change at the moment and I'm sure there were a variety of local issues too.

# 147
Bordeauxclaret
Posts: 5387
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:36 pm
Been Liked: 1692 times
Has Liked: 871 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby Bordeauxclaret » Fri May 03, 2019 11:07 am

hampsteadclaret wrote:140.. Bordeaux..’called out on your lie’.

So every time on here someone innocently puts an incorrect stat. down ( think it happens most days) they are a liar are they..?

I was on the previous forum, and on here since the start and plenty of punters will disagree with some of my comments ( fair enough) - I think they would agree though that I am honest on everything.

Can I suggest then that you’re a trashy little tramp, happy to make stuff up, and incapable of making posts about anything which could be regarded as substantive?


I’m sure you’d have apologised if it was an honest error.
To get so angry about it suggests to me you are furious that you’ve been caught out.
Perhaps when you calm down.

# 148
nil_desperandum
Posts: 5110
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:06 pm
Been Liked: 1225 times
Has Liked: 2202 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby nil_desperandum » Fri May 03, 2019 11:26 am

hampsteadclaret wrote:131.. I was attempting to be honest.

1) I did not look it up, to check.
2) I did not just sit on my sofa and make it up
( not my style that)
3) I must have heard one of the commentators /MP’s say it... they were wrong and I repeated their error.

Thanks for trying to suggest I was dishonest though.

I have no idea what you mean by ‘very big issues with the Labour Council there’.. I am not as well informed as others.
That would be because I don’t spend 20 hours a day on here, for months, fixating on Brexit related issues.. where people don’t properly listen to what others say, where the same circular arguments take place day after day, and where none of those involved change their position by one inch, no matter what they read or hear.

Thank God I’m not in that club.

** the point remains about Sunderland and disaffected Labour voters, though my statistic was unknowingly wrong... I must have upset you with my LibDem comments

Not like you to be pedantic.


Sorry for the suggestion that you were being dishonest, but as I implied in sentence one, I usually think your arguments are well presented and researched, and thus my surprise that you totally "misrepresented" the Sunderland constituency both at the referendum and yesterday.
As others have pointed out, i don't think it's pedantry to correct something that statistically is so far from the truth that it's a distortion.
And as I also pointed out, even the most basic knowledge of Sunderland or the most basic research reveals that it is a Labour
administration that has been wracked with scandal (of an unpleasant nature).
Basically, I just don't understand why you picked out Sunderland when you say in your subsequent post that you knew nothing about it.
Anyway I accept that you weren't being dishonest - and we move on.

# 149
tiger76
Posts: 3945
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:43 pm
Been Liked: 503 times
Has Liked: 1603 times
Location: Glasgow

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby tiger76 » Fri May 03, 2019 11:44 am

Some latest info from Burnley count.

The word on the street from the Burnley count is it could be a bad day for Labour who could have trouble keeping control with gains expected for the LibDems, Green Party and UKIP. No official rersults announced yet.

First results from Burnley. Ann Kelly holds Briercliffe for Liberal Democrats and council leader Mark Townsend holds Brunshaw for Labour.

More Burnely Council results. Labolur's Wajid Khan holds Daneshouse with Stoneyholme for Labour.

But UKIP's Peter Gill takes Hapton with Park from Labour.

Taken from the LET site so the spelling's not surprising as ever.

# 150
Quickenthetempo
Posts: 8127
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:35 am
Been Liked: 1808 times
Has Liked: 1039 times

Re: Who is going to vote on Thursday?

Postby Quickenthetempo » Fri May 03, 2019 11:52 am

Ukip win Hapton

Peter Gill - 752
Labour 318
Green 297
Conservative 163

Turnout was 34%


Return to “The Bee Hole End”