Days like today, I realise how far we’ve come ..

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Days like today, I realise how far we’ve come ..

Post by bfccrazy » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:15 pm

In a few weeks time it will be a decade since Wade scored THAT goal at Wembley. I never thought that day that we’d see probably the greatest ever assembled team play 4 centre backs against us, time waste and throw hissy fits at our defensive efforts to try and clutch a 1-0 win.

In that last decade we carried on “the Burnley way” and lost our star players. Which as the trend goes (along with Judas) from way back .... most haven’t gone on to better things. We’ve had a steady line of players who have gone on to play for England and other international teams. We have built a world class training facility to replace a couple of portaloos and a patch of grass. We have what is arguably our greatest youth set up in half a century.

We, as a team have been relegated from the top table to then fight back and get promoted not only automatically, we have gone on to improve and win the 2nd tier whilst our fans called for our managers head on Boxing Day ... to go on a run of 23 games undefeated. We have learnt a whole new skill as a team that trusts its manager to stay in the premier league ..... which led us onto European football being played here. Followed by fans again calling for the managers head on Boxing Day ... to comfortably finish the season away from the relegation zone of what is the biggest league in the world.

In that decade we have beaten Man United, Chelsea, City, Liverpool, Everton, Spurs .... the “established teams”. We have broke our record transfer fees both incoming and outgoing and always evolved to fight our way to the next battle.

I have missed off so much more such as the disabled facilities and club improving facilities for fans and how we have a board who will buy fans a pint at away games and subsidise tickets for fans here and there .... without raising season ticket prices.

I don’t know about you lot, I never thought on the way home from the capital on the 25th of May 2009 that my club would be in the position it is now - I know Bolton are jokingly 10 years ahead of us .... but I can’t wait to actually see what happens in the next decade as I know with the trend we’ve set and the way the club is evolving - It’s going to be a hell of a ride.

UTC!!!!

Ps, Dyche Out ;)
Last edited by bfccrazy on Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 35 users liked this post: CanuckClaret jrtod61 PaintYorkClaretnBlue Carnsmerry12 Rick_Muller Vegas Claret boatshed bill Im_not_Robbie_Blake IAmAClaret randomclaret2 Guller Bull Colburn_Claret GodIsADeeJay81 DomBFC1882 bfcjg tim_noone SalisburyClaret cricketfieldclarets Pimlico_Claret DCWat Duffer_ ClaretTony CaptJohn Lancasterclaret CombatClaret Bop africlaret Darnhill Claret BFCmaj Shore claret elwaclaret sanderson370 The Enclosure Rumpelstiltskin Bosscat

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Re: Days like today, I realise how far we’ve come ..

Post by Bfc » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:37 pm

Bfc crazy, I think that's one of the best ever summaries that's been posted about our club.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:53 pm

Bfc wrote:Bfc crazy, I think that's one of the best ever summaries that's been posted about our club.
Hopefully I can post an even better one in 2029 :lol:

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:13 pm

They aren't the greatest team ever assembled, not by a long shot.

That's probably that Barca team

Claret
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 655 times

Post by Claret » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:21 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:They aren't the greatest team ever assembled, not by a long shot.

Brazil, 1970

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:36 pm

bfccrazy wrote:In a few weeks time it will be a decade since Wade scored THAT goal at Wembley. I never thought that day that we’d see probably the greatest ever assembled team play 4 centre backs against us, time waste and throw hissy fits at our defensive efforts to try and clutch a 1-0 win.

In that last decade we carried on “the Burnley way” and lost our star players. Which as the trend goes (along with Judas) from way back .... most haven’t gone on to better things. We’ve had a steady line of players who have gone on to play for England and other international teams. We have built a world class training facility to replace a couple of portaloos and a patch of grass. We have what is arguably our greatest youth set up in half a century.

We, as a team have been relegated from the top table to then fight back and get promoted not only automatically, we have gone on to improve and win the 2nd tier whilst our fans called for our managers head on Boxing Day ... to go on a run of 23 games undefeated. We have learnt a whole new skill as a team that trusts its manager to stay in the premier league ..... which led us onto European football being played here. Followed by fans again calling for the managers head on Boxing Day ... to comfortably finish the season away from the relegation zone of what is the biggest league in the world.

In that decade we have beaten Man United, Chelsea, City, Liverpool, Everton, Spurs .... the “established teams”. We have broke our record transfer fees both incoming and outgoing and always evolved to fight our way to the next battle.

I have missed off so much more such as the disabled facilities and club improving facilities for fans and how we have a board who will buy fans a pint at away games and subsidise tickets for fans here and there .... without raising season ticket prices.

I don’t know about you lot, I never thought on the way home from the capital on the 25th of May 2009 that my club would be in the position it is now - I know Bolton are jokingly 10 years ahead of us .... but I can’t wait to actually see what happens in the next decade as I know with the trend we’ve set and the way the club is evolving - It’s going to be a hell of a ride.

UTC!!!!

Ps, Dyche Out ;)
just got in thinking what a great day at the Turf.... Then read your post....I've nothing to add to it. Utc!

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:14 pm

I can add to it.

27 years ago today we won away at York. Whos have bloody thought it eh!?!
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3861 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:20 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:I can add to it.

Crazy thing is I was at both.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11032 times
Has Liked: 5644 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:24 pm

superb night :D

DCWat
Been Liked: 4139 times
Has Liked: 3603 times

Post by DCWat » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:25 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:They aren't the greatest team ever assembled, not by a long shot.

Needless pedantry
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Walkerpool
Been Liked: 115 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by Walkerpool » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:25 pm

That was a great day

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32390 times
Has Liked: 5270 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:26 pm

Read the OP and it really does make you sit back and realise just how much we have achieved as a club both on and off the field.

Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:01 pm

Unbelievable, I'd not realised the date today, thanks for the reminder. I remember that day from finishing work early, trip over,traffic congestion at Harrogate, late entry to the ground, Dean whats his name York keeper in front of our standing area, Johnny Francis, etc etc, driving round town after to find a pub that would serve us, arriving home thinking this must be the start of a new future.
Happy days, one of my own favourite personal Burnley memories.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:47 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Crazy thing is I was at both.
As were a few of us. One of my first vivid memories. BFC or otherwise.
This user liked this post: Quickenthetempo