Tarks

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
# 1
Tricky Trevor
Posts: 1678
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:06 pm
Been Liked: 384 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Tarks

Postby Tricky Trevor » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:43 am

Express reporting Leicester are keeping tabs on him as Utd & Citeh want Maguire.
Don’t shoot the messenger.

# 2
Millertime v1.7
Posts: 642
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:23 pm
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Re: Tarks

Postby Millertime v1.7 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:50 am

Every dog has his day. Sadly for our Russian friend he peaked two years ago and hasn't been able to maintain ANY consistency ever since.

# 3
Vegas Claret
Posts: 13810
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:00 am
Been Liked: 4293 times
Has Liked: 1928 times
Location: clue is in the title

Re: Tarks

Postby Vegas Claret » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:06 am

It's why we signed Gibson, Mee will make him worth 40 million :)

# 4
MRG
Posts: 903
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:13 am
Been Liked: 250 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Re: Tarks

Postby MRG » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:48 am

Vegas Claret wrote:It's why we signed Gibson, Mee will make him worth 40 million :)


Gibson is a left sided centre back, just like Mee. He is not a suitable replacement for Tarks

# 5
theroyaldyche
Posts: 2435
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:26 pm
Been Liked: 452 times
Has Liked: 226 times

Re: Tarks

Postby theroyaldyche » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:02 am

Why would he go to leicester

# 6
Hibsclaret
Posts: 1295
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:00 pm
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Re: Tarks

Postby Hibsclaret » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:06 am

theroyaldyche wrote:Why would he go to leicester


100 grand per week
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone MT03ALG

# 7
theroyaldyche
Posts: 2435
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:26 pm
Been Liked: 452 times
Has Liked: 226 times

Re: Tarks

Postby theroyaldyche » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:12 am

Hibsclaret wrote:100 grand per week


Theyl finish below us next season

# 8
Hibsclaret
Posts: 1295
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:00 pm
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Re: Tarks

Postby Hibsclaret » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:17 am

They may well do. Even if they do most footballers like money. Also, Rogers is touted as one of the best coaches of young players that has ever walked the earth...however, I think he may go to a bigger team than Leicester, perhaps nearer home.

# 9
claretblue
Posts: 3876
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:36 pm
Been Liked: 1055 times
Has Liked: 783 times
Location: cloud 9 since Dyche appointed

Re: Tarks

Postby claretblue » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:02 am

Hibsclaret wrote:I think he may go to a bigger team than Leicester, perhaps nearer home.


don't think so...Bolton have a transfer embargo! ;)
These 3 users liked this post: Bosscat nil_desperandum MT03ALG

# 10
cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 15549
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 6041 times
Has Liked: 8671 times

Re: Tarks

Postby cricketfieldclarets » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:08 am

Good player. Has been excellent for us. But I dont think he is as good as Keane was and has probably hit peak value.

Excellent defender. But sometimes can be guilty of thinking he is better than he is at passing. Which puts us under presssure.

If we got something around what we got for Keane we would have to consider it.

But we cant replace him with Gibson or Long.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

# 11
CaptainKirk
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:19 pm
Been Liked: 110 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Re: Tarks

Postby CaptainKirk » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:31 am

I think you may be underestimating Leicester a bit there. I think they will be a top team next season. Now he's left the pub league Rodgers is showing what a good manager he could be and they could be an attractive bet for any player given the chance.
This user liked this post: No Ney Never

# 12
Darnhill Claret
Posts: 741
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:55 pm
Been Liked: 166 times
Has Liked: 237 times

Re: Tarks

Postby Darnhill Claret » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:35 am

Don’t be fooled by the ritual that Tarks has. Early in the game he likes to put his foot through it with a long diagonal. Just helps to gauge the atmospherics for the rest of the game.

# 13
ClaretTony
Posts: 29276
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:07 pm
Been Liked: 13434 times
Has Liked: 2578 times
Location: Burnley
Contact:

Re: Tarks

Postby ClaretTony » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:38 am

Vegas Claret wrote:It's why we signed Gibson, Mee will make him worth 40 million :)


Gibson and Mee would never work

# 14
Shore claret
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:51 pm
Been Liked: 253 times
Has Liked: 620 times
Location: Starbug

Re: Tarks

Postby Shore claret » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:56 am

don't understand why any "top team " would want Maguire hes nothing more than ordinary.

# 15
cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 15549
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 6041 times
Has Liked: 8671 times

Re: Tarks

Postby cricketfieldclarets » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:59 am

Shore claret wrote:don't understand why any "top team " would want Maguire hes nothing more than ordinary.

People may say the same about Mee.

As a defender he is very good. And offers a threat at the other end too. But is pretty limited on the ball or when it comes to pace. But is still a very solid defender. Reminds me of Steve Bruce when he was at United.

# 16
cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 15549
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 6041 times
Has Liked: 8671 times

Re: Tarks

Postby cricketfieldclarets » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:59 am

ClaretTony wrote:Gibson and Mee would never work

It wont happen. Because there does seem to be a big reluctance to play two players who are left footed (or right footed) together. But I don't think its as big a deal as is made out.

# 17
ElectroClaret
Posts: 9247
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:07 pm
Been Liked: 2475 times
Has Liked: 1320 times

Re: Tarks

Postby ElectroClaret » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:00 am

Shore claret wrote:don't understand why any "top team " would want Maguire hes nothing more than ordinary.


If its United he rocks up at, he's certainly better than Smalling or Fat Jones.

# 18
cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 15549
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 6041 times
Has Liked: 8671 times

Re: Tarks

Postby cricketfieldclarets » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:00 am

CaptainKirk wrote:I think you may be underestimating Leicester a bit there. I think they will be a top team next season. Now he's left the pub league Rodgers is showing what a good manager he could be and they could be an attractive bet for any player given the chance.


Have to agree. Rodgers is a miserable f**ker. And not keen on him personally. But he is a very good manager who plays good football.

I thought Leicester was a bit of a strange move by him. But already showing what a good manager he is.

# 19
ashtonlongsider
Posts: 1047
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:07 pm
Been Liked: 296 times
Has Liked: 74 times

Re: Tarks

Postby ashtonlongsider » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:07 am

Wouldn't surprise me to see Tarks move on in the summer but I think it will be to a a bigger club than Leicester.

# 20
ClaretTony
Posts: 29276
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:07 pm
Been Liked: 13434 times
Has Liked: 2578 times
Location: Burnley
Contact:

Re: Tarks

Postby ClaretTony » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:09 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:It wont happen. Because there does seem to be a big reluctance to play two players who are left footed (or right footed) together. But I don't think its as big a deal as is made out.


Always found it strange that you can play two right footers but it doesn't work with two left footers.

# 21
cricketfieldclarets
Posts: 15549
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 pm
Been Liked: 6041 times
Has Liked: 8671 times

Re: Tarks

Postby cricketfieldclarets » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:54 am

ClaretTony wrote:Always found it strange that you can play two right footers but it doesn't work with two left footers.


Agree. I think its porbably because there are more people who are right footed therefore its more common, especially at junior level for two right footers to play together.

And it doesn't affect us in other areas of the pitch - Wood and Barnes. Westwood and Cork.

That said we did seem to have a good balance with Jones and Marney and always have with Duff and Shackell, Mee and Keane, Mee and Tarks.

# 22
gtclaret
Posts: 594
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:45 am
Been Liked: 158 times
Has Liked: 76 times

Re: Tarks

Postby gtclaret » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:24 am

I remember when I was a child, my dad telling me that I would never be a footballer unless I was able to use both feet. For months I would only use my left foot. Strangely it helped, not in football, but in my balance as a dancer. I do think though, that all professional footballers should be two footed
These 2 users liked this post: AndrewJB IanMcL

# 23
Shore claret
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:51 pm
Been Liked: 253 times
Has Liked: 620 times
Location: Starbug

Re: Tarks

Postby Shore claret » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:56 am

ElectroClaret wrote:If its United he rocks up at, he's certainly better than Smalling or Fat Jones.

That's uniteds problem, you can have one average centre back but you cant have 2, Smalling and Jones both average.
Liverpool are lucky they have Van Dijk, all their other centre back are average.

# 24
BurnleyFC
Posts: 725
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:51 am
Been Liked: 230 times
Has Liked: 237 times

Re: Tarks

Postby BurnleyFC » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:14 pm

Tarky must be a terrific technician and have wonderful character if Brendan is looking at him.

# 25
Tricky Trevor
Posts: 1678
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:06 pm
Been Liked: 384 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Re: Tarks

Postby Tricky Trevor » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:44 pm

I doubt we can afford him but expecting Jones to be heaved out of OT.
He would be perfect for us. Battles, plays CH or defensive MF. He might not be a top6 CH but he would do a great job for us.

# 26
AndyClaret
Posts: 723
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:08 pm
Been Liked: 120 times
Has Liked: 467 times

Re: Tarks

Postby AndyClaret » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:55 pm

If Leicester want £90M for Maguire, how much is Tarky worth ?

# 27
FactualFrank
Posts: 15423
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:46 am
Been Liked: 4217 times
Has Liked: 7436 times
Location: Leeds

Re: Tarks

Postby FactualFrank » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:06 pm

gtclaret wrote:I remember when I was a child, my dad telling me that I would never be a footballer unless I was able to use both feet. For months I would only use my left foot. Strangely it helped, not in football, but in my balance as a dancer. I do think though, that all professional footballers should be two footed


I've said this before and totally agree. A defender should be able to control, turn, pass or kick long with either foot, so it shouldn't make a difference. One of my nephews is 6 and whilst his strongest foot is his right, I've always got him using his left as well when we've been down at the park, in the garden etc and he can now pass with his left foot and shoot reasonably well with it too. They should certainly be coaching that more in the younger ages as it can be done in a fun way, which is what's important at that age.

# 28
FactualFrank
Posts: 15423
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:46 am
Been Liked: 4217 times
Has Liked: 7436 times
Location: Leeds

Re: Tarks

Postby FactualFrank » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:08 pm

As for Tarky, we'll be short changed if he goes for less than £50 million and I'd also want us to get a decent sell on % if he moved on again.

# 29
Vegas Claret
Posts: 13810
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:00 am
Been Liked: 4293 times
Has Liked: 1928 times
Location: clue is in the title

Re: Tarks

Postby Vegas Claret » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:10 pm

MRG wrote:Gibson is a left sided centre back, just like Mee. He is not a suitable replacement for Tarks


didn't realise he was left footed because he hardly ever plays, fair point !! In which case we'll need a new CB if Tarks leaves !
This user liked this post: MRG

# 30
Steve1956
Posts: 6470
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:57 pm
Been Liked: 1990 times
Has Liked: 1021 times
Location: Fife

Re: Tarks

Postby Steve1956 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:13 pm

AndyClaret wrote:If Leicester want £90M for Maguire, how much is Tarky worth ?

Like for like Tarkowski is a better player than Maguire,I think he will leave us in the summer for a bigger club than Leicester.

# 31
Taffy on the wing
Posts: 444
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:41 am
Been Liked: 130 times
Has Liked: 435 times

Re: Tarks

Postby Taffy on the wing » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:52 pm

Maguire is a big threat from set pieces!... When Tarky heads the ball, it often looks like it bounced off a cube.......flies anywhere and everywhere.

# 32
Lord Beamish
Posts: 4122
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:00 pm
Been Liked: 2788 times
Has Liked: 1824 times

Re: Tarks

Postby Lord Beamish » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:53 pm

Taffy on the wing wrote:Maguire is a big threat from set pieces!... When Tarky heads the ball, it often looks like it bounced off a cube.......flies anywhere and everywhere.

Biscuit tin head.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

# 33
Stayingup
Posts: 1691
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:02 pm
Been Liked: 268 times
Has Liked: 425 times

Re: Tarks

Postby Stayingup » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:00 pm

Millertime v1.7 wrote:Every dog has his day. Sadly for our Russian friend he peaked two years ago and hasn't been able to maintain ANY consistency ever since.


Whose this Russian then?

# 34
jrgbfc
Posts: 2538
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:30 pm
Been Liked: 626 times
Has Liked: 53 times

Re: Tarks

Postby jrgbfc » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:03 pm

So Tarkowski is better than Maguire who didn't put a foot wrong when England reached the world cup Semis? What are we basing that on, when we take off our claret tinted specs?

# 35
Stayingup
Posts: 1691
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:02 pm
Been Liked: 268 times
Has Liked: 425 times

Re: Tarks

Postby Stayingup » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:03 pm

Can't understand negative comments about Tarkowski. He's been fantastic for us. Big, strong and a absolute snip at 3 million

# 36
Stayingup
Posts: 1691
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:02 pm
Been Liked: 268 times
Has Liked: 425 times

Re: Tarks

Postby Stayingup » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:04 pm

jrgbfc wrote:So Tarkowski is better than Maguire who didn't put a foot wrong when England reached the world cup Semis? What are we basing that on, when we take off our claret tinted specs?


Yep right till we played a decent team

# 37
jrgbfc
Posts: 2538
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:30 pm
Been Liked: 626 times
Has Liked: 53 times

Re: Tarks

Postby jrgbfc » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:06 pm

Stayingup wrote:Yep right till we played a decent team


If anyone was at fault for Croatia's winner it was Trippier and Walker. I'm just struggling to see why people think Tarks is better than Maguire tbh.

# 38
Stayingup
Posts: 1691
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:02 pm
Been Liked: 268 times
Has Liked: 425 times

Re: Tarks

Postby Stayingup » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:39 pm

jrgbfc wrote:If anyone was at fault for Croatia's winner it was Trippier and Walker. I'm just struggling to see why people think Tarks is better than Maguire tbh.


One is left sided one is right sided. I havent seen too much of Maguire (in fact only 4 minutes this season !!!). But I would think.Maguire edges it.

# 39
Spijed
Posts: 9302
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:33 pm
Been Liked: 1680 times
Has Liked: 734 times

Re: Tarks

Postby Spijed » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:02 pm

Whether it's Tarkowski, Keane, Maguire, Stones, Walker, Trippier, Alexander-Arnold etc. there hasn't been an English top class defender since Terry, Ferdinand and Ashley Cole played for England.

# 40
boatshed bill
Posts: 4699
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:47 am
Been Liked: 981 times
Has Liked: 2222 times

Re: Tarks

Postby boatshed bill » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:02 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Gibson and Mee would never work


Did we sign Gibson because Mee had been stalling on his latest deal and may have wanted out?

# 41
ClaretTony
Posts: 29276
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:07 pm
Been Liked: 13434 times
Has Liked: 2578 times
Location: Burnley
Contact:

Re: Tarks

Postby ClaretTony » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:22 pm

boatshed bill wrote:Did we sign Gibson because Mee had been stalling on his latest deal and may have wanted out?


We signed him because we needed another central defender. The Mee deal was all but done. We moved for Gibson when we missed out on Mawson.

# 42
bodge
Posts: 521
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:04 pm
Been Liked: 242 times
Has Liked: 166 times

Re: Tarks

Postby bodge » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:23 pm

Wonder what Mawson is thinking now ?

Pity poor Alfie.

# 43
ksrclaret
Posts: 1806
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:56 am
Been Liked: 620 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Re: Tarks

Postby ksrclaret » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:43 pm

I can say with some certainty that Dyche would have no issues playing with two left footed centre halves in the team.

And I can say that because he simply wouldn’t have bought Gibson if that was the case.

# 44
gtclaret
Posts: 594
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:45 am
Been Liked: 158 times
Has Liked: 76 times

Re: Tarks

Postby gtclaret » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:44 pm

bodge wrote:Wonder what Mawson is thinking now ?

Pity poor Alfie.

He's thinking I got more money than I would have got at Burnley so I don't give a sh1t

# 45
Siddo
Posts: 657
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:48 am
Been Liked: 253 times
Has Liked: 1595 times

Re: Tarks

Postby Siddo » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:48 pm

FactualFrank wrote:I've said this before and totally agree. A defender should be able to control, turn, pass or kick long with either foot, so it shouldn't make a difference. One of my nephews is 6 and whilst his strongest foot is his right, I've always got him using his left as well when we've been down at the park, in the garden etc and he can now pass with his left foot and shoot reasonably well with it too. They should certainly be coaching that more in the younger ages as it can be done in a fun way, which is what's important at that age.

I totally agree, but modern coaches tend to concentrate on working on outfield players strengths, and only to a lesser extent on their weaknesses. Well, that's what Zidane said......

# 46
Spijed
Posts: 9302
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:33 pm
Been Liked: 1680 times
Has Liked: 734 times

Re: Tarks

Postby Spijed » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:06 pm

gtclaret wrote:I remember when I was a child, my dad telling me that I would never be a footballer unless I was able to use both feet. For months I would only use my left foot. Strangely it helped, not in football, but in my balance as a dancer. I do think though, that all professional footballers should be two footed


Both Arjen Robben & Ryan Giggs were pretty much one-footed throughout their careers and it never stopped them playing at the highest level.

# 47
Selby Claret
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:24 pm
Been Liked: 246 times
Has Liked: 73 times
Location: On a galloping horse with a blind man

Re: Tarks

Postby Selby Claret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:35 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Agree. I think its porbably because there are more people who are right footed therefore its more common, especially at junior level for two right footers to play together.


I actually think there's value in having left footed centre halves. Given that more players favour their right foot to shoot then they'd more likely take on a centre half to the defender's left in order to strike centrally towards goal - much like having a left footed left back to combat a right footed winger's crosses.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

# 48
IWOODLOVETT
Posts: 658
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:23 am
Been Liked: 295 times
Has Liked: 126 times

Re: Tarks

Postby IWOODLOVETT » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:05 am

You don’t often see a more one-footed player than our own Charlie Taylor. It limits his effectiveness as he never switches to deliver an in swinging cross with his right foot and, when isolated in defence, wingers will always cut inside on his weak right side.

Opponents know these are his weaknesses and set up for them.
Unfortunately Charlie will never become an international player or play at a higher level unless he can find a coach who can miraculously change his spots.

# 49
Tricky Trevor
Posts: 1678
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:06 pm
Been Liked: 384 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Re: Tarks

Postby Tricky Trevor » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:22 am

IWOODLOVETT wrote:You don’t often see a more one-footed player than our own Charlie Taylor. It limits his effectiveness as he never switches to deliver an in swinging cross with his right foot and, when isolated in defence, wingers will always cut inside on his weak right side.
Opponents know these are his weaknesses and set up for them.
Unfortunately Charlie will never become an international player or play at a higher level unless he can find a coach who can miraculously change his spots.


Agree but you can get a lovely, natural bend on the ball with the outside of your boot. Why can’t he check back and try that? Only negative being it is bending towards the keeper.

# 50
nyclaret
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:57 am
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 55 times

Re: Tarks

Postby nyclaret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:00 am

ksrclaret wrote:I can say with some certainty that Dyche would have no issues playing with two left footed centre halves in the team.

And I can say that because he simply wouldn’t have bought Gibson if that was the case.

He would play Long on the right side before Gibson.


Return to “The Bee Hole End”