Club statement: Zero tolerance

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Club statement: Zero tolerance

Post by wilks_bfc » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:39 pm

Club have just released following statement
Following issues arising from games against Chelsea & Manchester City, we would like to remind supporters that Burnley FC takes a zero-tolerance approach to any form of discrimination across social media platforms.
We pride ourselves in being an inclusive, community-focused club.
What issues were there from yesterday’s game?

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Re: Club statement: Zero tolerance

Post by theroyaldyche » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:21 pm

Sterling got some ****

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:49 pm

theroyaldyche wrote:Sterling got some ****
Didn’t head anything out of the ordinary around us in the CFS. Just boos when he time wasted.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2194 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by fidelcastro » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:55 pm

bfccrazy wrote:Didn’t head anything out of the ordinary around us in the CFS. Just boos when he time wasted.
I think the clue was where the club statement mentioned social media platforms! ;)

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:57 pm

I fully endorse what the club has said on this matter and that any abuse of players should be fully punished. Whilst I don’t want to change the direction of the thread and it perhaps should be diverted elsewhere, but I do take issue with is the wording of the statement. How the club can say they are a ... “community focussed club” is a tough one for me to accept, having campaigned strongly against their frequent posting of gambling adverts, through social media....some of which were posted just minutes before or after advertising important initiatives such Samaritans Day or Mental Health Awareness Day.

I’ve been told that ‘money talks’ and that there’s ‘no harm in it’ when just the most simple of google searches can inform you about the level of damage gambling addiction can bring to a community such as Burnley.

I have no issue with people having a bet: I have huge issues with gambling promotions being forced on us and with the very poor timing of some of the messages put out into the public domain. Certainly doesn’t strike me as ‘inclusive!

To reiterate, I fully endorse the club’s statement. I struggle with its wording.

J
4990114B-C2B4-4CCC-A706-BDF165B7C021.jpeg
4990114B-C2B4-4CCC-A706-BDF165B7C021.jpeg (356.43 KiB) Viewed 7891 times
6F0A5488-61C9-43A2-9E9A-613B92D8F9D5.jpeg
6F0A5488-61C9-43A2-9E9A-613B92D8F9D5.jpeg (491.62 KiB) Viewed 7905 times
Attachments
1385A9E4-8AF5-43D6-9CD2-4EA38D7CD2AD.jpeg
1385A9E4-8AF5-43D6-9CD2-4EA38D7CD2AD.jpeg (559.61 KiB) Viewed 7891 times
These 4 users liked this post: simonclaret Flat Stanley Suratclaret longsidepies

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2272 times
Has Liked: 2153 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:57 pm

With the Sterling stuff, if it is being seen by some as racism and victimisation surely it makes more sense to just knock it on the head. Hes one of the countries best players, it just makes us look brain dead
This user liked this post: Flat Stanley

wilks_bfc

Post by wilks_bfc » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:02 pm

fidelcastro wrote:I think the clue was where the club statement mentioned social media platforms! ;)

Yes I was referring to the social media side.

We all saw/heard what happened after the Chelsea game but I haven’t seen anything at that level from the City game

Hantsclaret
Been Liked: 13 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Hantsclaret » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:14 pm

[quote="jdrobbo"]I fully endorse what the club has said on this matter and that any abuse of players should be fully punished. Whilst I don’t want to change the direction of the thread and it perhaps should be diverted elsewhere, but I do take issue with is the wording of the statement. How the club can say they are a ... “community focussed club” is a tough one for me to accept, having campaigned strongly against their frequent posting of gambling adverts, through social media....some of which were posted just minutes before or after advertising important initiatives such Samaritans Day or Mental Health Awareness Day.

I’ve been told that ‘money talks’ and that there’s ‘no harm in it’ when just the most simple of google searches can inform you about the level of damage gambling addiction can bring to a community such as Burnley.

I have no issue with people having a bet: I have huge issues with gambling promotions being forced on us and with the very poor timing of some of the messages put out into the public domain. Certainly doesn’t strike me as ‘inclusive!

To reiterate, I fully endorse the club’s statement. I struggle with its wording.

J

Completely agree with this - I got a dismissive response from someone at the Club along the lines of "people dont have to gamble if they dont want to" which was, in my view, disgraceful and, as I said at the time, wilfully naive!
This user liked this post: Flat Stanley

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:15 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:Yes I was referring to the social media side.

We all saw/heard what happened after the Chelsea game but I haven’t seen anything at that level from the City game
What happened after the Chelsea game?

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:17 pm

In a way, they're right, no one has to gamble, it's a choice initially.

The addiction afterwards is something that needs to be dealt with and betting advertising needs to be looked at, but no one is forced to take that first step into gambling.

I can count on one hand how many times I've been into a bookies and I've never placed an online bet.

Lottery is all I do and that's pretty infrequent.

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:22 pm

But there have been times this season where tweet after tweet have promoted gambling. Within seconds of promoting Mental Health Awareness Day and being told by club staff that this truly is an important issue, to be hit with a gambling promotion telling us, we’d ... ‘be a sucker not to’ (have a bet), I think was appalling, ill-timed and severely lacking AWARENESS of the original subject matter. I’ve witnessed countless conversations online where our various representatives from the club have made comments similar to those outlined above and I found it very concerning.
These 2 users liked this post: Long Time Lurker bob-the-scutter

BaronGarcia
Been Liked: 108 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by BaronGarcia » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:38 pm

jdrobbo wrote:I fully endorse what the club has said on this matter and that any abuse of players should be fully punished. Whilst I don’t want to change the direction of the thread and it perhaps should be diverted elsewhere, but I do take issue with is the wording of the statement. How the club can say they are a ... “community focussed club” is a tough one for me to accept, having campaigned strongly against their frequent posting of gambling adverts, through social media....some of which were posted just minutes before or after advertising important initiatives such Samaritans Day or Mental Health Awareness Day.

J
JDRobbo .... I have logged in just to respond to this post. I couldn’t agree more with your well thought out message. Well backed up with evidence which I support 100%.

I think the real point here is that Burnley FC love to promote themselves as a Community Club, and yes they are in many respects. However, I also believe that they are deeply unaware of the consequences of their commercially related actions around gambling - it’s not the Community Side of the club that is responsible for this in my opinion, but that of the Commercial team under the guidance of our Chairman.

Maybe some common, sensible thinking and consideration between both sides of the club may bring a better balance to this disease that is plaguing our beautiful game, club, community and town ....
This user liked this post: jdrobbo

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:58 pm

It is unfortunate that so many clubs are sponsored by online gambling enterprises. Previously, booze, computers or insurance were the thing, prior to that, cigarettes.

Unless a local company can cough up millions, then the availability is limited to the popular money generator of the masses, of the time.

Even Coca cola is bad for ones health!

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:36 pm

Hantsclaret wrote: Completely agree with this - I got a dismissive response from someone at the Club along the lines of "people dont have to gamble if they dont want to" which was, in my view, disgraceful and, as I said at the time, wilfully naive!
Thank you. I would certainly love to see our club change for the better and follow the example set by Luton Town, in ridding gambling promotion of any sort from the ground.

When I raised this issue, I was met with the expected response, that Luton’s deals would’ve been small-fry compared to what comes with our deal. Naturally I imagine this to be the case. What I didn’t expect to find though was just how poor a deal we appear to have with Ladbrokes...remember this company sponsor a whomevstand (and what comes with it too)....yet we have to be subjected to such prolific gambling promotion. Gambling DOES affect the lives’ of many, even if some are perfectly comfortable with it (which I respect).

claret2018
Been Liked: 801 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:47 pm

Agree fully with the comments on gambling, although it’s no surprise the club is happy to promote, given that BK is in the industry

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:54 pm

Would people be happy to have a season ticket price raise by £30 per year so we could look at more ethical sponsors?

External money is good for a club like ours but at the detriment of some in the local community I think we could set a better example.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:57 pm

The gambling thing is a joke. Especially after what happened to Barton.

While people can say you dont have to gamble. I dont. Well true. Of course. But many fall victim to it.

I dont have any online accounts through choice. But the other day fancied the long shot of huddersfield burnley double at 1000 to 1. The shops odds were a fraction of that. But they could match the online odds if i signed up.... (for them to hound me with adverts and offers)

I try not to bet on our games as it ruins the game for me. But there was a point where it was almost a ritual. Saturday accumulator. Etc.

If you can control it great. But theres a reason bookies are so rich and its because many cant control it. And they know it.

And younger and younger people are being targetted.

The fact we dont put betting ads on kids shirts is actually very shortsighted. Because kids then ask why they cant have the same shirt. And that only draws attention to the gambling.

I wish we would make a stand and be the first premier league club to boycott it. But the opportunity for that was when barton was banned.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:23 pm

jdrobbo wrote:Thank you. I would certainly love to see our club change for the better and follow the example set by Luton Town, in ridding gambling promotion of any sort from the ground.

When I raised this issue, I was met with the expected response, that Luton’s deals would’ve been small-fry compared to what comes with our deal. Naturally I imagine this to be the case. What I didn’t expect to find though was just how poor a deal we appear to have with Ladbrokes...remember this company sponsor a whomevstand (and what comes with it too)....yet we have to be subjected to such prolific gambling promotion. Gambling DOES affect the lives’ of many, even if some are perfectly comfortable with it (which I respect).
The things that concern me the most are the rapid rise of gambling and the indirect effect on others.

Gambling has surged into prominence in the last few years and the only reason that the companies associated with it have so much money to spend on sponsorships is because so many people are losing money.

The person or the company taking the bets always comes out ahead.

Even if we take out the social impact the fact remains that a huge chunk of disposable income is being taken out of the system. It is being taken from the many by the few and arguably it is more likely to be re-invested or spent outside this country. And for the poorer members of our community we arenlt talking about disposable income.

The most distressing concern, which makes a total mockery of the "people dont have to gamble if they dont want to" argument is that the impact of gambling isn't limited to the gambler. If mum or dad develop a gambling problem it will affect the entire family. Even if they simply fritter away a portion of their income it has an impact on innocents.

Little Jimmy doesn't eat properly if the food budget has been gambled away and little Jimmy is far more likely to become a gambler himself if mum and dad set a bad example.

It also goes against the "stronger together" ethos when we have Aaron Lennon championing a truly worthy cause, in the form of his mental health initiative, and it is buried beneath a mound of gambling advertisements. We should be giving our players and their socially responsible initiatives every chance of doing good, not overshadowing them with messages that could lead to suffering and anguish.

The money raised from sponsorships is obviously important to the club. I get that, but I would prefer to see us take a bit of a financial hit if the choice comes down to a socially acceptable sponsor and a gambling company.

Its about building a brand we can be proud of, leading the way ( behind Luton ), showing some character and standing for something above and beyond monetary gain.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:28 pm

IanMcL wrote:It is unfortunate that so many clubs are sponsored by online gambling enterprises. Previously, booze, computers or insurance were the thing, prior to that, cigarettes.

Unless a local company can cough up millions, then the availability is limited to the popular money generator of the masses, of the time.

Even Coca cola is bad for ones health!
Coca Cola is the worst thing on your list for your health, but I challenge you to find a football club in England sponsored by cigarettes. Maybe in the matchday programme, but I can't think of a single football club with 'Woodbine' or whatever etched across their shirt. The sport itself was never (again, to my knowledge) invaded by tobacco. I'll hold my hand up in correction if necessary.
Booze, yes. Loads of it. But not tobacco.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:32 pm

Is Sterling so holier than though that he can no longer be abused ( non racially of course) from the stands ? When he commits a shocking foul and avoids being booked ? When he balloons one into the crowd? When he time wastes or does that “ chicken run” with his arse stuck out ? Is it no longer acceptable to give him a bit of stick when deserved ?
Wonderful player but he’s ( perhaps inadvertently? ) created this Uber sensitivity aura where anything could be racist that the powers that be ,BBC/Sky/FA/ Clubs are literally lapping it up and kowtowing to him like some latter day Christ. Likely scoring social media to offer kick it out some scraps .

He deserves all the credit he gets for his play and public stance on racism but he’s s footballer like all the others and should take any stick his matchday antics may or may not deserve .
These 2 users liked this post: bob-the-scutter LeadBelly

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:33 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:Would people be happy to have a season ticket price raise by £30 per year so we could look at more ethical sponsors?

External money is good for a club like ours but at the detriment of some in the local community I think we could set a better example.
Honest answer, yes. I would. But that's just me and not sure the £500k or so that would raise would come close to what we're being paid for sponsorship from gambling firms - therein lies the problem as we're so reliant on advertising we can't afford to have the same morals about it.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:36 pm

Have spoken out consistently re gambling sponsorship - hate it and agree with you JDR - re Ladbrokes - they are likely to stop sponsoring the stand at the end of the season see post#937 http://uptheclarets.com/messageboard/vi ... &start=900" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:37 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:Would people be happy to have a season ticket price raise by £30 per year so we could look at more ethical sponsors?

15,000 x £30 = £450,000

This is fascinating. Just how much do you think we get from Ladbrokes, per annum, for their entire sponsorship of a stand and everything else that goes with it, including regular promotion and social media?

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:43 pm

jdrobbo wrote:15,000 x £30 = £450,000

This is fascinating. Just how much do you think we get from Ladbrokes, per annum, for their entire sponsorship of a stand and everything else that goes with it, including regular promotion and social media?
I imagine he’s including the shirt sponsor as well.

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:48 pm

It’s okay, I can take it. Yes, I thought that was a little rude and absolutely no attempt to be facetious was being made.

If you include the shirt sponsor, which I hadn’t done, then of course that’s a different story. I was talking primarily about the sponsor of our stand, which leads to regular gambling promotion inside and outside the ground.

As long as it’s producing a debate and it stays healthy, then I’m quite happy to take it, if that’s how people see me.

My comments have generally been very well-received online, but of course, some people will have the opposing point of view. As long as they express themselves eloquently and without confrontation, which is something I aim to do, then I am happy. I respect the opinions on both sides.

Let’s just talk about it… It’s a big issue!
This user liked this post: Long Time Lurker

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:49 pm

jdrobbo wrote:But there have been times this season where tweet after tweet have promoted gambling. Within seconds of promoting Mental Health Awareness Day and being told by club staff that this truly is an important issue, to be hit with a gambling promotion telling us, we’d ... ‘be a sucker not to’ (have a bet), I think was appalling, ill-timed and severely lacking AWARENESS of the original subject matter. I’ve witnessed countless conversations online where our various representatives from the club have made comments similar to those outlined above and I found it very concerning.
Absolutely excellent set of posts (unlike those it refers to from the club, which are despicable).

For those of us like myself who have both worked in mental health and seen relatives suffer from it, there can simply be no excuse for profiting from a few extra pieces of silver and as a result many of your own fans end up with a lifetime of addiction.

The trouble with the club’s social media strategy is that there is a single account to follow on each platform, by and large. On the less offending side, this means we get our timeline swamped with dozens of tweets about a meaningless U18 game, whether we want them or not. On the more damaging side, it means we get gambling thrown at us, even if we are vulnerable and if we are addicts in recovery. It is probably more damaging to health than even if the club promoted porn on its social media - that’s how short sighted it is.

The alternative is to remove the club from our social media feeds, which means we get no Clarets news at all. So, of course, the weak minded choose to keep following the messages. That’s why it is despicable.
This user liked this post: simonclaret

wilks_bfc

Post by wilks_bfc » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:49 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:What happened after the Chelsea game?
There were tweets going around from Chelsea fans aimed at Barnes & his family

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:50 pm

jdrobbo wrote:It’s okay, I can take it. Yes, I thought that was a little rude and absolutely no attempt to be facetious was being made. If you include the shirt sponsor, which I haven’t done, then of course that’s a different story. I was talking primarily about the sponsor of our stand, which leads to regular gambling promotion inside And outside the ground. As long as it’s producing a bit, and it stays healthy then I’m quite happy to take it, if that’s how people see me. My comments have generally been very well received online, but of course, some people will have the opposing point of view. As long as they express themselves eloquently and without confrontation, which is something I am to do, Then I am happy. Let’s just talk about it… It’s a big issue.
Apologies, the way your message was constructed seemed quite challenging to what was only a ball park suggestion of how to tackle the obvious issues of gambling which we both seem to have a concensus about.

Of course it will be peanuts in comparison to what we receive but would there ever be a way that we as fans could contribute more to help the club in turn for a more ethical sponsor?

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:56 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote: would there ever be a way that we as fans could contribute more to help the club in turn for a more ethical sponsor?
It would be very interesting to see their reaction if all season ticket holds asked them to stop - while acknowledging that they would accept whatever impact that reduced income would have on the field (of course it could all be taken out of our hands in the next couple of years)

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:11 pm

This conversation on many and few is the wrong way round surely? 46% of the population placed a bet of some sort in 2018 (Probably excludes sweeps and raffles as well) whilst 0.7% of those who responded identified as problem gamblers. Source https://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/P ... itudes.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The lottery, which allows gambling at 16 remains the most popular form of gambling.

I personally don't like this ban everything culture. Ban gambling ads, ban drinking ads, ban soft drink ads, ban fast food ads, ban computer game ads (One of the largest offenders of mental health), ban 24 hour news and in fact all news as it has a negative impact on mental health, ban banking and insurance, ban utility bills in case somebody is in financial difficulty and cannot pay, ban religious ads, as they really mess up your mind.

There are ever growing controls for people with gambling problems, Gamstop, the national self exclusion database and proactive models that identify behaviours so that interventions can take place. But, there still has to be a place, as with everything, where as adults we can make choices, to participate in a legal, regulated leisure activity.
This user liked this post: duncandisorderly

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:30 pm

dandeclaret wrote:This conversation on many and few is the wrong way round surely? 46% of the population placed a bet of some sort in 2018 (Probably excludes sweeps and raffles as well) whilst 0.7% of those who responded identified as problem gamblers. Source https://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/P ... itudes.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The lottery, which allows gambling at 16 remains the most popular form of gambling.

I personally don't like this ban everything culture. Ban gambling ads, ban drinking ads, ban soft drink ads, ban fast food ads, ban computer game ads (One of the largest offenders of mental health), ban 24 hour news and in fact all news as it has a negative impact on mental health, ban banking and insurance, ban utility bills in case somebody is in financial difficulty and cannot pay, ban religious ads, as they really mess up your mind.

There are ever growing controls for people with gambling problems, Gamstop, the national self exclusion database and proactive models that identify behaviours so that interventions can take place. But, there still has to be a place, as with everything, where as adults we can make choices, to participate in a legal, regulated leisure activity.
I don't know what gamstop is, to be honest, but I have never known, in my 35 years of life, a gambler that has destroyed their life or others party to their life. Drug users, yes, a bit. Drink users yes, a few, but never gambling. That's not to say it's never happened, but as a general rule, people in the north of England don't have enough to gamble with do they? I mean, once you take the drink and drugs into account?
That said, and I remember dandy being a good bloke from the old board, gambling now is a bit computer gamey. You can't get drunk by looking at your phone, you can't take drugs by looking at your phone (not properly anyway, most phones have too many cracks) but you can get drunk, take drugs and then place bets on your phone....

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:56 pm

dandeclaret wrote:This conversation on many and few is the wrong way round surely? 46% of the population placed a bet of some sort in 2018 (Probably excludes sweeps and raffles as well) whilst 0.7% of those who responded identified as problem gamblers. Source https://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/P ... itudes.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Could just ban them cos they're f*cking annoying then?

Claret
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 655 times

Post by Claret » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:59 pm

jdrobbo wrote:I fully endorse what the club has said on this matter and that any abuse of players should be fully punished. Whilst I don’t want to change the direction of the thread and it perhaps should be diverted elsewhere, but I do take issue with is the wording of the statement. How the club can say they are a ... “community focussed club” is a tough one for me to accept, having campaigned strongly against their frequent posting of gambling adverts, through social media....some of which were posted just minutes before or after advertising important initiatives such Samaritans Day or Mental Health Awareness Day.

J
Fully agree with you JD
Gambling addiction can wreck lives and the lives of those around the addict and I detest having Ladbrokes ads rammed down my throat by BFC.
These 3 users liked this post: jdrobbo longsidepies simonclaret

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:26 pm

Interesting discussion so far. Thanks for contributing, whichever angle you come from.

Bullabill
Been Liked: 301 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Bullabill » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:42 am

jdrobbo ...........

"Thank you. I would certainly love to see our club change for the better."

And what changes would the better like?

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:46 am

Bullabill wrote:jdrobbo ...........

"Thank you. I would certainly love to see our club change for the better."

And what changes would the better like?
It's William Hills for me.. :?

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:05 am

duncandisorderly wrote:Coca Cola is the worst thing on your list for your health, but I challenge you to find a football club in England sponsored by cigarettes. Maybe in the matchday programme, but I can't think of a single football club with 'Woodbine' or whatever etched across their shirt. The sport itself was never (again, to my knowledge) invaded by tobacco. I'll hold my hand up in correction if necessary.
Of course, you are correct Duncandisorderly. I re-read my post and admit to poor writing.

I was trying to convey the message that lucrative sponsorships inevitably follow the mass market trends. I included cigarettes as one of those unwanted brands but which identify with the masses, so look to sponsor. Motor Racing was their thing, with cigarette packets flying around F1 tracks, until banned. Cricket too!

Our world exposure makes us susceptible. Fortunately, we pick up Chinese companies, which are meaningless, for our shirts. The CFS stand is a different issue. Bob Lord Boozer stand, another issue.

Spike
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Post by Spike » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:22 am

Burnley1989 wrote:With the Sterling stuff, if it is being seen by some as racism and victimisation surely it makes more sense to just knock it on the head. Hes one of the countries best players, it just makes us look brain dead
We are totally entitled to boo someone who fouls gets away with no booking, dives and moans in the refs ear all game!

It is him who should behave

This race thing is blamed for too damn much

If there is genuine abuse on social media than I am not sticking up for that but a boo is something I did to other City players who in my view worked the ref
This user liked this post: The Enclosure

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:39 am

100% agree Spike, Sterling on Saturday should have been booked twice.Once for the blatant foul on Barnes and secondly for his repeated hassling of the referee.He is such an annoying player albeit he has talent.
Player of the year, certainly not in my book.

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:04 am

Thanks for asking the above question....

It’s a good question and I think it can be answered on many levels. In a dream situation I’d want us to stop any sort of gambling associated with the club whatsoever. This has been done by Luton Town FC and the way they have handled it has been magnificent - I'm delighted that they'ce continued to be successful in the same season, without receiving revenue from gambling companies and through sponsorship.

Sadly, I think the club would consider this to be too much of a hit financially and wouldn’t even entertain it. I’ve had a number of conversations with BeGambleAware about the effect that gambling has on the lives' of people in working-class northern towns. Being from Burnley and now living in Leeds, I’ve also read a huge document (a study carried out at Leeds Beckett University) about the effects of gambling in this city, which has a number of poor areas. Whether the club staff need more education on the subject, I don’t know… and I certainly don’t want to sound patronising, but it really has surprised me some of the things that have been said on this subject matter.

I would’ve liked to have seen our stand sponsorship with Ladbrokes, terminated immediately following the Leeds United game in the League Cup 18 months ago. Following that game, the Ladbrokes official Twitter feed posted some derogatory comments about our club and two of our players, which had consequently signed from Leeds United, and for me, this was an ideal opportunity to get rid of this link, but ‘Money talks’ supposedly. How this was just ignored by the club, with hundreds at the time questioning the club about it, was beyond comprehension.

If we have to be linked with certain sponsors, I would like the club to communicate just how often they need to advertise their content. At first, I thought the club put out timed tweets, but recent weeks have proven that this does not appear to be the case. You might argue that this is absolutely none of my business, and I would understand that response, but I feel I have a right to follow my club's official Twitter feed, without being bombarded with gambling promotions. I must admit that in the last week, there have been fewer promotions tweeted, which is very pleasing to see and it would be lovely if the club have taken onboard some of the feedback and made an effort to cut back just how much content they put out there. However, I have noticed that when anyone has challenged the club on this issue, the responses from the club have been extremely selective and in many cases, no responses have arisen at all. It would be really nice to know why there has been a change over the last week… Have Ladbrokes not sent any adverts to the club, did playing on a Monday and a Sunday make a difference, or do the club actually want to make a difference and feel bound to such lucrative sponsorship deals?

Shirt sponsorship is a big one for me. I know from just a minute or two on Google, that shirt sponsorship brings in a large amount for the club. I’m not a fool, but when you see an under 23s game being played, where some members of that side are unable to wear the official club shirt with sponsor (due to being under 18 years old), alarm bells start ringing. At the player of the year do last Wednesday, I had a conversation with a seven-year-old boy about his football shirt. He said that he absolutely loved Burnley and the colours of his shirt, but that he wished his top looked exactly the same as the one that the players all wore. He didn’t understand why his shirt had to be different, and that for a child I think is upsetting.

I would love it if the club were to work with some of our former players, who have had gambling problems, although I respect that such players may not wish to participate in such an activity. As has been alluded to above, when gambling has affected a player so much, in terms of his career, in just the last couple of years, then that surely sets alarm bells ringing? Or is it just swept under the carpet?

Our club pride is it self on the work that it does in the community. You will not find a bigger promoter or advocate of our club than myself… I talk about Burnley wherever I go and to whoever I meet, always in a good light, but when I see something so glaringly obvious, that I feel tarnishes the reputation of the club, I speak vehemently about it. I would like to ask just what work is being done in the community by our club to support people with addictions...Gambling is promoted very heavily at our club, inside Turf Moor on match days we are saturated with the stuff (Betting booths, tweets, stand advertising, rolling digital displays etc) and just minutes at a computer can lead you to a wealth of information about gambling in working-class towns. If the problem exists, which it so clearly does, then why is this issue not being worked on in the community, or at least being acknowledged by it?

Finally, I would love to see much more thoughtful use of our social media platform. To post tweets about gambling just seconds after trying to promote important initiatives or organisations, such as Mental Health Awareness Day or working with the Samaritans, I found that utterly deplorable and so very insensitive. I would really like the club to review how messages are sent out through this medium. It’s completely wrong at times and it needs a very serious review.

Hope this gets my points across easily.

John

Ps - Sorry to the early readers of this message. I was audio-typing it on my phone and now that I'm at work, I've tried to start editing it on the computer.
These 4 users liked this post: simonclaret wilks_bfc longsidepies chorleyhere

wilks_bfc

Post by wilks_bfc » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:46 am

Excellent post

There have been times this season when I’ve looked around the ground and counted up how many adverts for betting companies there are.

I think it was around 17 or 18.

No I’m no gambling expert but the companies are all pretty much do the same thing - why so many?

Are all the sponsors “league” sponsors so have to be advertised around the ground or do thy approach the club and pay to advertise? If it’s the latter and we feel the need to have some betting sponsorship, surely we could charge the same for only advertising one as whet we get for many.
At the player of the year do last Wednesday, I had a conversation with a seven-year-old boy about his football shirt. He said that he absolutely loved Burnley and the colours of his shirt, but that he wished his top looked exactly the same as the one that the players all wore. He didn’t understand why his shirt had to be different, and that for a child I think is upsetting.
As for this, when we first had FUN88 as sponsor, the kids shirts were provided with BFC82 in the same design which I thought was a really good touch as it meant that it still “looked” the same as the adult shirts
This user liked this post: jdrobbo

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:45 am

Indeed, that was a good touch.

Caernarfon_Claret
Been Liked: 1473 times
Has Liked: 633 times

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:09 am

Hantsclaret wrote:
Might as well start advertising vaping or cigarettes as people don't have to vape or smoke.

Gambling and Smoking both unavailable to those underage, both legal and both highly addictive.

Double standards.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 293 times

Post by deanothedino » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:42 am

duncandisorderly wrote:Coca Cola is the worst thing on your list for your health, but I challenge you to find a football club in England sponsored by cigarettes. Maybe in the matchday programme, but I can't think of a single football club with 'Woodbine' or whatever etched across their shirt. The sport itself was never (again, to my knowledge) invaded by tobacco. I'll hold my hand up in correction if necessary.
Coca Cola is not worse for you than cigarettes, unless you're really smashing the Coca Cola.

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:54 pm

Agree with your sentiments Caernarfon!

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1161 times

Post by Falcon » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:36 pm

Everybody on here whinging that this is about criticism of Sterling that had nothing to do with race, have they actually seen the offending tweets at all, or are they simply setting up a straw man?

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:41 pm

There’s a huge difference between banter and iffensive tweets. Those who have done as the statement suggests, should be ashamed. There’s no place for abuse of that nature.

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:44 pm

jdrobbo wrote:There’s a huge difference between banter and iffensive tweets. Those who have done as the statement suggests, should be ashamed. There’s no place for abuse of that nature.
And it seems even a ban for offensive tweets doesnt stop posting even more tasteless shite on fbook if anybody seen em today

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Wed May 01, 2019 6:41 am

That’s sad to hear.

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:13 pm

Didn’t want to start a new thread but wanted to very quickly post my disappointment about the disparity (in my opinion) that still continues to take place at Turf Moor: Promotion of gambling where it generally isn’t needed.

In a nutshell...

All week we’ve been told by the club to take a minute to think about our mental health.

After a lot of fans last season voiced their concerns about the club’s advertising of gambling initiatives, as well as the excellent work being done behind the scenes by the Supporters Group, I felt like the club had really addressed this issue, as we lost the big Ladbrokes banners on the CFS; replaced by Children with Cancer banners, albeit an associate of Ladbrokes.

Just after Christmas the club released a Ladbrokes tweet saying that they were giving free Burnley shirts away...however to be in with a chance, you HAD to register your details with Ladbrokes.

Last night, the club heavily pushed today’s mental health awareness details. I replied, saying how good an idea I felt it was and that I hoped on today if all days, that the club would not push Ladbrokes betting onto us...don’t forget, we were told that we’d ‘Be Suckers not to...(have a bet), just seconds after advertising last seasons mental health awareness day.

So onto today...a further release about mental health, only to be followed by Ladbrokes endorsements, this time giving fans the opportunity to win Leicester City tickets...again though you’d HAVE to register with Ladbrokes! I was saddened by this.

However, the thing that has got my goat the most and this is the main point I’d like to put out there...ten minutes before kick off today, I was on the concourse (Longside Upper) having a conversation with three people...during that conversation I was tapped on the shoulder by a member of Ladbrokes staff, hands filled with betting sheets and small pens, to be asked, “Have you considered placing a bet with us today sir?”

At that point, the club starting playing their mental health audio and video...the disparity is shocking and I’m really frustrated that the club day they think mental matters, when this behaviour takes place INSIDE THE GROUND!!

I know people will totally disagree with me and I’m not getting into a debate about it; it’s my experience and my opinion: I just know how desperate things are for some people who have been hooked in.

Deeply frustrated.

John
These 11 users liked this post: Roosterbooster nil_desperandum wilks_bfc CrosspoolClarets Whitgord Paul Waine dougcollins chekhov Middle-agedClaret chorleyhere simonclaret