Free Hart

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Re: Free Hart

Post by IanMcL » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:02 pm

duncandisorderly wrote:League 1, surely?
Are you saying the Daily Mail cannot spell? :o

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:19 pm

duncandisorderly wrote:League 1, surely?
Why would you think that?
I know a lot of fans don't like /rate him, but he's not going to drop down to the 3rd tier.
The article actually links him with a possible move to Middlesbrough, Norwich or Lille (which I think would actually be a good move for him).
But he is also (supposedly) linked with Marseille, Lyon, St Etienne and Guingamp.

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 3163 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:05 pm

At last.........something new to moan about!

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8431 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:52 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:Welease Woger
Welease Wodderwick

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:06 pm

Paul Waine wrote:"Most ludicrous piece of transfer business" is only a judgement after the event. It would have been brilliant transfer business if the results in the first half of the season, with Joe in goal, had matched the results in the second half of the season - whether it was with Tom or Joe continuing in goal.
I agree and you are right to point out my errant use of the word ludicrous in the highlighted post. It was wrong for me to doubt the financial prudence of the club. I think mdd2 is probably on the money in regard to what the deal was.
mdd2 wrote:Wasn't Joe OOC with City at the end of 2018-19 season hence City paying 50% of his City salary for 12 months but from 2019-20 he is under our salary structure and I assume £55k/week. I suspect the money we paid City were his wages for the remaining 50% if the fee was £3.5million. So £55k x 52 +20% VAT is almost £3.5million and our salary cap is not breached.
We got a quality keeper for £3.5m, covered our injury problem, Man City moved him on and Joe got the opportunity to get his career back on track and play some football with a good group of lads, making it a sensible deal for everyone.

Even though it didn't turn out to be a brilliant piece of business I don't think it was a bad one if mdd2 is on the money.

In terms of what he contributed to the team Joe played well in his position. However, if you are faced with three times the number of shots on goal then you are highly likely to concede three times as many goals. It is simple mathematics, although I do agree that his playing style is probably not as good a fit for us as Tom and Nick.

He came here, gave it a good go, didn't do anything to let us or himself down and he fully deserves to be treated with respect and offered thanks for what he tried to do for us. In that regard he is no different to any other player who is trying their best to do a good job. Our disappointing results before Christmas were down to the team, not Joe as an individual.

If he does move in the next window we should be looking to get a similar arrangement to the one we made with city in which everyone benefits and comes away with something. That would equate to a move that gives Joe a good chance to play football at a good club, with us benefitting from some form of a transfer fee or trading value and freeing up what his wages for next season would be. The recipient club would be getting a quality keeper at a relatively low price.

In terms of a top quality keeper with time remaining on his contract and respectable wage demands a free transfer would be too little.

Personally, I would like to see him go to Rennais at 20/1 with Bourigeaud coming to us (which could be even more of a stretch). Their recent win in the Coupe de France has earned them Europa football for next season and a proven keeper with experience in European competitions could be invaluable to them.

I think the bookies probably have it right though with 2/1 on a move to Lille. Relying on Maignan to see them through a domestic campaign along with their European commitments is risky, so another quality keeper should really be on their shopping list.
This user liked this post: deanothedino

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:09 pm

Bosscat wrote:Welease Wodderwick
We are safe, the Chairman is talking about "planning with purpose" and Sean is communicating a need to be proactive.

Welease Wiggy

It's time to sort out the keeper situation and shop around for a couple of players.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed May 01, 2019 9:54 pm

Dyched wrote:You say all that but our club spending £3.5m on a 3rd choice goalkeeper is madness when they won’t offer abit more for players that’ll be first choice. Or spending in key areas (CM)

The club waste money away like no tomorrow. Anything under say £4/5m they really don’t care.

It’s similar to those people who spend a fiver on **** each and everyday. And wonder why at the end of the month their £150 down.
Hart isnt and hasnt been third choice since he came though.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1712 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by agreenwood » Wed May 01, 2019 10:53 pm

I was in favour of signing Hart last summer. Having 3 excellent keepers on the books seemed like a good idea.

It hasn’t worked out though and it won’t be the end of the world if he leaves this summer.

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Thu May 02, 2019 12:09 am

Shame people have chosen to forget that, when the rest of the team bar JBG was nowhere to be seen early on in the season, Joe Hart was literally our best player.

Also, he was signed because we needed to sign him, as we had an injury crisis. I agree he should now move on, but it’s sad to see people have ignored what he contributed based purely on agendas.
These 4 users liked this post: deanothedino nil_desperandum cricketfieldclarets Top Claret

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Thu May 02, 2019 12:46 am

Perhaps worth asking the question why a defence (and indeed team) that performed so well last season and the second half of this season performed so badly when Hart was keeper.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 293 times

Post by deanothedino » Thu May 02, 2019 7:39 am

Swizzlestick wrote:Perhaps worth asking the question why a defence (and indeed team) that performed so well last season and the second half of this season performed so badly when Hart was keeper.
People make it sound like we were sensational all of last season, we weren't - we had some spells where the results were poor. We then started this season with one of those spells too. I think it's hard to blame Hart for the 10 in front of him not meeting expectations. If we were only poor defensively and we losing games 4-3 then I could understand blaming the keeper but that's not what was happening.

Firthy
Been Liked: 1607 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Thu May 02, 2019 10:32 am

Apparently Birmingham are interested in Hart so swap + cash for Adams would be a good deal for us.

IWOODLOVETT
Been Liked: 495 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by IWOODLOVETT » Thu May 02, 2019 10:52 am

The sheer presence of Hart, firstly in the team and then on the bench, has spurred Tom on to bigger and better things and triggered the return to form of the team. So I wouldn’t agree that the deal was a failure.

The real loser has been Nick Pope, who has gone from an ever-present first choice Claret, who went to the WC with England and now has had a season of filling in crosswords on match days. He needs to resurrect his career.

It would therefore probably benefit everyone to now cash in on both Hart and Pope, move on Lindegaard and Legzdins, then bring back Conor Mitchell and/or another good, young prospect.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Thu May 02, 2019 11:04 am

deanothedino wrote:People make it sound like we were sensational all of last season, we weren't - we had some spells where the results were poor. We then started this season with one of those spells too. I think it's hard to blame Hart for the 10 in front of him not meeting expectations. If we were only poor defensively and we losing games 4-3 then I could understand blaming the keeper but that's not what was happening.
Jan 1st to December 31st 2018 saw us P 37 W 9 D8 L20 F37 A 63 Pts 35 and over 38 games 36pts so just escape the drop
If we look at our last 19 last season and first 19 this season it is slightly worse P38 W 8 D 10 L20 F 37 A 65 Pts 34 and down we go
But our poor last half of the season 17-18 would see us stay up with a points total over the entire season of 44pts likely better than we will get this season.
Our results first 19 this season were appalling and to be where we are now represents a greater turn around than "Saul on the road to Damascus" or one of biblical proportions
Last edited by mdd2 on Thu May 02, 2019 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

beddie
Been Liked: 1384 times
Has Liked: 512 times

Post by beddie » Thu May 02, 2019 11:05 am

Firthy wrote:Apparently Birmingham are interested in Hart so swap + cash for Adams would be a good deal for us.
Would they still be allowed to do that sort of deal, even though it wouldn't involve them spending. I thought they were not allowed to take on new recruits.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu May 02, 2019 7:13 pm

beddie wrote:Would they still be allowed to do that sort of deal, even though it wouldn't involve them spending. I thought they were not allowed to take on new recruits.
To be honest there is probably zero chance he would want to even go there!

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Thu May 02, 2019 8:15 pm

I doubt we’ll ever know the full story but Harts spell in goal was an unmitigated disaster. It definitely looked like the other players didn’t want him in the team and their performances dropped off a cliff.

Hopefully he is moved on quickly and Pope is restored to no.2 and gets to play in all the cups to keep him happy. I imagine he will push Tom all the way next season for the starting spot.