Northern Rail

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Claretforshaw
Been Liked: 95 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Northern Rail

Post by Claretforshaw » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:03 pm

I travel from Rochdale to Burnley Manchester Road regularly on match day, if I can, but the service provided by Northern Rail is nothing short of appalling with little thought or respect for their paying customers. Apart from 40 plus weeks of industrial action, causing most trains to be cancelled on a Saturday, Northern Rail have surpassed themselves in the last three weeks.

Leicester match- Due to the weather and flooding all trains were cancelled after the match meaning a taxi back to Rochdale for me and my Daughter and onward to Manchester Piccadilly for a friend from London,up for the day to watch the match. Maybe the weather was an acceptable excuse on this occasion.

Cardiff match-The 17.38 train from Burnley, comprising two coaches only on what would be a very busy day with travelling Cardiff supporters,didn't bother to stop at any stations after Todmorden and before Manchester Victoria where I had to get train back to Rochdale. The reason given to me by the guard when I questioned her at Victoria? It was too busy to stop and there wouldn't have been any room for passengers to get on ! This is despite many passengers alighting at Todmorden to get the Leeds connection!! Apparently an announcement was made on leaving Burnley but was impossible to hear in the very noisy carriages.

Man City match- I planned to get the earlier 10.21 train from Rochdale to avoid the anticipated crowds...good job I did the 11.21 and 12.21 trains were cancelled at about 10 am,the reason ? Not enough drivers !! On a day when City were playing Burnley, unbelievable. This would explain why the X43's were so busy as posted on another thread. On the way home I decided to let the 16.21 go to avoid the crowds only to find out about 16.30 that the 17.21 had been cancelled why? you guessed it....no driver available.I had to get the next train to York, change at Hebden Bridge to get back to Rochdale.

As Northern Rail are such a joke, next season I will use the 589 bus,when I can, but regrettably it doesn't run on a Sunday or late evenings for midweek matches, when I will have to use the train.

JimMcDonald
Been Liked: 64 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Re: Northern Rail

Post by JimMcDonald » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:07 pm

Learn to drive.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone theroyaldyche

Claretforshaw
Been Liked: 95 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by Claretforshaw » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:14 pm

I have been driving for nearly 50 years Jim Mc but if I can possibly avoid it nowadays I will, plus I do enjoy a pre-match drink as part of the match day experience. I hope that doesn't make me a bad person?
These 6 users liked this post: DomBFC1882 LeadBelly Siddo Buxtonclaret ClaretJimmy BertiesBeehole

Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:25 pm

JimMcDonald wrote:Learn to drive.
Hopefully straight over you!
This user liked this post: tim_noone

beddie
Been Liked: 1406 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Post by beddie » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:00 pm

Forward your email onto Failing Graylng.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:51 pm

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:05 pm

Claretforshaw wrote:I travel from Rochdale to Burnley Manchester Road regularly on match day, if I can, but the service provided by Northern Rail is nothing short of appalling with little thought or respect for their paying customers. Apart from 40 plus weeks of industrial action, causing most trains to be cancelled on a Saturday, Northern Rail have surpassed themselves in the last three weeks.

Leicester match- Due to the weather and flooding all trains were cancelled after the match meaning a taxi back to Rochdale for me and my Daughter and onward to Manchester Piccadilly for a friend from London,up for the day to watch the match. Maybe the weather was an acceptable excuse on this occasion.

Cardiff match-The 17.38 train from Burnley, comprising two coaches only on what would be a very busy day with travelling Cardiff supporters,didn't bother to stop at any stations after Todmorden and before Manchester Victoria where I had to get train back to Rochdale. The reason given to me by the guard when I questioned her at Victoria? It was too busy to stop and there wouldn't have been any room for passengers to get on ! This is despite many passengers alighting at Todmorden to get the Leeds connection!! Apparently an announcement was made on leaving Burnley but was impossible to hear in the very noisy carriages.

Man City match- I planned to get the earlier 10.21 train from Rochdale to avoid the anticipated crowds...good job I did the 11.21 and 12.21 trains were cancelled at about 10 am,the reason ? Not enough drivers !! On a day when City were playing Burnley, unbelievable. This would explain why the X43's were so busy as posted on another thread. On the way home I decided to let the 16.21 go to avoid the crowds only to find out about 16.30 that the 17.21 had been cancelled why? you guessed it....no driver available.I had to get the next train to York, change at Hebden Bridge to get back to Rochdale.

As Northern Rail are such a joke, next season I will use the 589 bus,when I can, but regrettably it doesn't run on a Sunday or late evenings for midweek matches, when I will have to use the train.
Yes the Northern Powerhiuse has run out of fuel, thats if it ever had any. Few rail links even into Manchester. Constant delays and old rolling stock. Pity we're not in London.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:06 am

Just be grateful there's some trains running! Went about half a year with no trains on a Saturday.

longsidetrumpet
Been Liked: 219 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by longsidetrumpet » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:31 pm

Stayingup wrote:Yes the Northern Powerhiuse has run out of fuel, thats if it ever had any. Few rail links even into Manchester. Constant delays and old rolling stock. Pity we're not in London.
Hopefully the Bridge Bier Huis hasn't run out of fuel the next time I'm in. or is that Bier Hiuse?