Pope or Hart?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
# 1
KippaxFifaHD
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:56 pm
Been Liked: 24 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Pope or Hart?

Postby KippaxFifaHD » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:44 pm

Just want to throw something out there:
If we could only keep hold of one of them this summer, who would it be? Pope obviously is our youngest goalkeeper, and has a decent season under his belt, but has also barely played in the last year and I doubt he'd be happy playing second fiddle to Heaton again next year. For the fee we could potentially get for him, £15-20m or so, we could strengthen the squad in other areas, whilst still keeping Hart as a decent backup option should Heaton get injured again.
Keeping Pope and getting rid of Hart would mean that we've got two very strong goalkeepers, neither probably happy being number 2, and rotating the two could mean that we sacrifice some of our solidity defensively, as the back 4 wouldn't be able to build as strong a partnership with the keeper as they would if it didn't change. Hart leaving would probably not recoup a huge fee, meaning we break even, leaving no extra funds to strengthen the squad with.
Pros and cons for both, discuss
Last edited by KippaxFifaHD on Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

# 2
box_of_frogs
Posts: 2724
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:47 am
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 617 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby box_of_frogs » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:46 pm

Pope.

# 3
Caballo
Posts: 654
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:31 am
Been Liked: 240 times
Has Liked: 202 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby Caballo » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:46 pm

Pope

# 4
joey13
Posts: 4217
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:39 pm
Been Liked: 959 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby joey13 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:47 pm

Pope , nothing to discuss

# 5
taio
Posts: 4783
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:17 am
Been Liked: 1415 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby taio » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:47 pm

Wouldn't be surprised if both leave. if one stays I'd want it to be Pope.

# 6
Colburn_Claret
Posts: 3446
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:30 pm
Been Liked: 1347 times
Has Liked: 1904 times
Location: Catterick N.Yorks

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby Colburn_Claret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:49 pm

Pope, it isnt even a contest, a no brainer in fact.

# 7
Buxtonclaret
Posts: 8020
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:05 am
Been Liked: 1957 times
Has Liked: 3584 times
Location: Derbyshire

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby Buxtonclaret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:54 pm

Pope.
Why are we asking?

# 8
Hedontplayforyou
Posts: 585
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:01 am
Been Liked: 134 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby Hedontplayforyou » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:05 pm

Pope

# 9
Bordeauxclaret
Posts: 5379
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:36 pm
Been Liked: 1691 times
Has Liked: 869 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby Bordeauxclaret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:07 pm

If fully fit - Pope.

If Pope hasn’t recovered from his shoulder injury - Pope.
These 7 users liked this post: BleedingClaret Colburn_Claret BertiesBeehole Lord Beamish Foulthrow Jel MT03ALG

# 10
theroyaldyche
Posts: 2400
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:26 pm
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 224 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby theroyaldyche » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:12 pm

Pope. Close thread

# 11
Darthlaw
Posts: 1515
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:08 pm
Been Liked: 713 times
Has Liked: 259 times
Location: Death Star, Dark Side Row S Seat 666

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby Darthlaw » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:14 pm

Neither will be prepared to warm the bench so it’s pretty irrelevant.

If we could loan Pope, rather than sell him it would be beneficial to us.

# 12
joey13
Posts: 4217
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:39 pm
Been Liked: 959 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby joey13 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:18 pm

Darthlaw wrote:Neither will be prepared to warm the bench so it’s pretty irrelevant.

If we could loan Pope, rather than sell him it would be beneficial to us.

Can’t see him dropping down a division and we won’t loan to a rival

# 13
deanothedino
Posts: 972
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:34 am
Been Liked: 576 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby deanothedino » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:07 pm

It's a matter of time until Pope leaves if he shows the same form as in his first season.

# 14
levraiclaret
Posts: 1241
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:40 am
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 861 times
Location: Leicestershire
Contact:

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby levraiclaret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:12 pm

Pope

# 15
Rick_Muller
Posts: 4395
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:53 am
Been Liked: 1905 times
Has Liked: 4722 times
Location: -90.000000, 0.000000

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby Rick_Muller » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:37 pm

Pope, succession planning and he knows he’ll be No 1 for years to come when Heaton gives him a chance. Heaton still has plenty to give, but won’t last forever. Pope knows this, I personally think he’d be happy fighting for the No 1 with us...
Last edited by Rick_Muller on Wed May 01, 2019 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

# 16
Greeny
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:41 pm
Been Liked: 18 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby Greeny » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:50 pm

The choice is either an outstanding top quality goalkeeper or an overrated, overpaid, has been.

Pope proved he is a star before his unfortunate injury and gets my vote.

Move Hart on.

Although suspect Pope will be wanting game time after this season’s total wipeout and he could decide to look elsewhere. It will be a big loss.

Still can’t understand why Hart is on the bench.

# 17
RalphCoatesComb
Posts: 3553
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:38 pm
Been Liked: 1149 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby RalphCoatesComb » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:51 pm

Pope

# 18
CombatClaret
Posts: 2357
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:09 pm
Been Liked: 1083 times
Has Liked: 523 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby CombatClaret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:03 pm

Both should go and we should get in another reasonable BACK UP keeper.

Hart - Thanks for trying and stepping in when Pope and Heaton were crocked, it didn't work out sorry, good luck.
Pope - Are we a team that can afford to leave 15million+ salable asset on the bench for potentially a whole season?

# 19
Joe14
Posts: 840
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:43 pm
Been Liked: 179 times
Has Liked: 35 times
Location: Burnley

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby Joe14 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:09 pm

OP been drinking?

Pope all day long.

# 20
Bin Ont Turf
Posts: 8358
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:38 am
Been Liked: 3944 times
Has Liked: 469 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby Bin Ont Turf » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:14 pm

Get shut of the lot and see if John Spicer fancies the gig.

Not that much older than Heaton anyway.
This user liked this post: Foulthrow

# 21
Devils_Advocate
Posts: 3760
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:43 pm
Been Liked: 1262 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby Devils_Advocate » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:25 pm

I'd keep Pope if it was to be backup for Heaton but if Heaton left Hart would be #1 as don't think Pope is good enough to be first choice keeper for a Premier league team

# 22
TVC15
Posts: 5356
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 pm
Been Liked: 2083 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby TVC15 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:32 pm

Haha

# 23
COBBLE
Posts: 708
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:04 am
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 179 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby COBBLE » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:35 pm

It will be a business decision.

# 24
exilecanada
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat May 12, 2018 4:08 pm
Been Liked: 120 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby exilecanada » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:52 pm

The Pope/Heaton/Hart could be a real dilemma for the club. Heaton’s obviously #1, club captain, well respected, is at the top of his game and at his prime as far as a goalies age go. Hart has little or no value on the open market. Pope’s an unknown quantity at the moment, who knows if he’s back to form, he hasn’t featured on the bench, never mind a meaningful game. Pope won’t be happy to back up Heaton, so sell him to the highest bidder, say goodbye to Hart and re-sign Lindegaard as a reliable backup. Seek, find and nurture a future #1

# 25
Bop
Posts: 602
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:48 pm
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 289 times
Location: Sandbach

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby Bop » Wed May 01, 2019 12:12 am

I hope Popey will be our new no.1 when Heaton quits/goes. Arguably the better keeper but Heaton is the better skipper.

# 26
tim_noone
Posts: 10756
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:12 pm
Been Liked: 2697 times
Has Liked: 9844 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby tim_noone » Wed May 01, 2019 12:23 am

Bop wrote:I hope Popey will be our new no.1 when Heaton quits/goes. Arguably the better keeper but Heaton is the better skipper.

But what about Hart?

# 27
Bullabill
Posts: 287
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:40 am
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 79 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby Bullabill » Wed May 01, 2019 12:41 am

Discuss??? Yeah, OK.

# 28
boatshed bill
Posts: 4699
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:47 am
Been Liked: 981 times
Has Liked: 2222 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby boatshed bill » Wed May 01, 2019 12:50 am

Lindegaard or Legzdins? :)

# 29
gtclaret
Posts: 594
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:45 am
Been Liked: 158 times
Has Liked: 76 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby gtclaret » Wed May 01, 2019 12:58 am

taio wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if both leave. if one stays I'd want it to be Pope.

Agreed

# 30
Vegas Claret
Posts: 13790
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:00 am
Been Liked: 4288 times
Has Liked: 1925 times
Location: clue is in the title

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby Vegas Claret » Wed May 01, 2019 1:06 am

Hart is leaving, he wants to leave and you can't blame him. We keep Pope, sell him for a ridiculous number or loan him out

# 31
The Enclosure
Posts: 2133
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:29 am
Been Liked: 563 times
Has Liked: 1984 times
Location: Burnley

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby The Enclosure » Wed May 01, 2019 1:41 am

The Pontiff

# 32
Caballo
Posts: 654
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:31 am
Been Liked: 240 times
Has Liked: 202 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby Caballo » Wed May 01, 2019 7:05 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:I'd keep Pope if it was to be backup for Heaton but if Heaton left Hart would be #1 as don't think Pope is good enough to be first choice keeper for a Premier league team



Time you found a new shtick, you've played this hand to death!

# 33
deanothedino
Posts: 972
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:34 am
Been Liked: 576 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby deanothedino » Wed May 01, 2019 7:18 am

Rick_Muller wrote:Pope, succession planning and he knows he’ll be No 1 for years to come when Heaton gives him a chance. Heston still has plenty to give, but won’t last forever. Pope knows this, I personally think he’d be happy fighting for the No 1 with us...

Yes, I'm sure he'll be happy to play understudy if a top ten side starts to show interest and we'll be perfectly happy to leave millions on the bench for in 4/5/6 years time...

# 34
IanMcL
Posts: 14013
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:27 pm
Been Liked: 2737 times
Has Liked: 3028 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby IanMcL » Wed May 01, 2019 9:34 am

Not a real contest!

# 35
ClaretTony
Posts: 29120
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:07 pm
Been Liked: 13368 times
Has Liked: 2564 times
Location: Burnley
Contact:

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby ClaretTony » Wed May 01, 2019 9:38 am

Been strong suggestions recently that Pope will be leaving this summer

# 36
Quickenthetempo
Posts: 8116
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:35 am
Been Liked: 1807 times
Has Liked: 1039 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby Quickenthetempo » Wed May 01, 2019 9:43 am

ClaretTony wrote:Been strong suggestions recently that Pope will be leaving this summer

You can't blame him really. Just getting going in his career and not even making the bench at Burnley.

# 37
Down_Rover
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:09 pm
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 98 times
Location: Manchester

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby Down_Rover » Wed May 01, 2019 9:49 am

CombatClaret wrote:Both should go and we should get in another reasonable BACK UP keeper.

Hart - Thanks for trying and stepping in when Pope and Heaton were crocked, it didn't work out sorry, good luck.
Pope - Are we a team that can afford to leave 15million+ salable asset on the bench for potentially a whole season?


We have had a number of £15m players on the bench waiting for their turn

Tarks
Gibson
Vydra, who's turn may yet come
Even Vokes and Long are/were worth good money

Lose Hart, keep Pope for me if it is achievable. If Pope believes he is good enough he will plan to stay and dislodge Heaton. If he thinks he is not good enough then cash in

# 38
TVC15
Posts: 5356
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 pm
Been Liked: 2083 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby TVC15 » Wed May 01, 2019 9:51 am

Down_Rover wrote:We have had a number of £15m players on the bench waiting for their turn

Tarks
Gibson
Vydra, who's turn may yet come
Even Vokes and Long are/were worth good money

Lose Hart, keep Pope for me if it is achievable. If Pope believes he is good enough he will plan to stay and dislodge Heaton. If he thinks he is not good enough then cash in


How much do you think Vokes is worth ?
I think he still has a key role to play for us and he looked good on Sunday when he came on.

# 39
The Enclosure
Posts: 2133
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:29 am
Been Liked: 563 times
Has Liked: 1984 times
Location: Burnley

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby The Enclosure » Wed May 01, 2019 9:58 am

TVC15 wrote:How much do you think Vokes is worth ?
I think he still has a key role to play for us and he looked good on Sunday when he came on.



Have I missed something here ?
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

# 40
TVC15
Posts: 5356
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 pm
Been Liked: 2083 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby TVC15 » Wed May 01, 2019 10:02 am

The Enclosure wrote:Have I missed something here ?


Nope - but I think I missed he put the word “were” !

# 41
JTClaret
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:51 am
Been Liked: 117 times
Has Liked: 67 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby JTClaret » Wed May 01, 2019 10:25 am

The only possible reason for choosing Hart over Pope would be the thought that we would get more for Pope - whereas keep him and don't play him, he could go for nothing.

But it's a no brainer really. Everybody would want Pope - Hart would probably cause a problem if sat on the bench all the time. But Hart certainly isn't bad back-up

# 42
Lord Beamish
Posts: 4116
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:00 pm
Been Liked: 2788 times
Has Liked: 1823 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby Lord Beamish » Wed May 01, 2019 10:31 am

I’d prefer Tony Hart in our nets rather than Joe; and he’s been dead ten years.

# 43
Caernarfon_Claret
Posts: 4799
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:53 am
Been Liked: 1328 times
Has Liked: 580 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby Caernarfon_Claret » Wed May 01, 2019 10:46 am

I see that many hope we keep Pope and part with Hart, if we keep Pope will the heat be on Heaton? Where will the departing Hart go next?

# 44
FactualFrank
Posts: 15417
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:46 am
Been Liked: 4216 times
Has Liked: 7430 times
Location: Leeds

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby FactualFrank » Wed May 01, 2019 10:51 am

As a fan, keep Pope and have him challenge Heaton for the starting spot.
The club know more about how Pope feels though and it'll depend on how much we get for bids, if we get any in for him.

So for me it would be just Hart, or both. Either way, our Hart will go on..

# 45
houseboy
Posts: 3439
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 845 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby houseboy » Wed May 01, 2019 10:52 am

KippaxFifaHD wrote:Just want to throw something out there:
If we could only keep hold of one of them this summer, who would it be? Pope obviously is our youngest goalkeeper, and has a decent season under his belt, but has also barely played in the last year and I doubt he'd be happy playing second fiddle to Heaton again next year. For the fee we could potentially get for him, £15-20m or so, we could strengthen the squad in other areas, whilst still keeping Hart as a decent backup option should Heaton get injured again.
Keeping Pope and getting rid of Hart would mean that we've got two very strong goalkeepers, neither probably happy being number 2, and rotating the two could mean that we sacrifice some of our solidity defensively, as the back 4 wouldn't be able to build as strong a partnership with the keeper as they would if it didn't change. Hart leaving would probably not recoup a huge fee, meaning we break even, leaving no extra funds to strengthen the squad with.
Pros and cons for both, discuss

Very sensible post. The Hart haters on here might not like it but it DOES make sense. Besides Pope, to be fair, had one partial season of excellence so who is to say he would continue in that way? He certainly won't be happy bench warming next season and unless Heaton gets another injury that's exactly what he would be doing. Good players want to play, that is why many ask for transfers or even agree to loans to lesser clubs.

# 46
Dougall
Posts: 207
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:50 pm
Been Liked: 91 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby Dougall » Wed May 01, 2019 10:53 am

Next stop for Joe Hart? - America

# 47
KRBFC
Posts: 9549
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:18 am
Been Liked: 1674 times
Has Liked: 683 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby KRBFC » Wed May 01, 2019 10:57 am

Keep Hart, Pope will bring in much more funds to improve the side in other areas, providing Heaton is to remain number 1 of course. I'd personally have Pope over Heaton but given the form of Heaton, it's impossible to drop him.

I wouldn't mind seeing Pope and Hart leave though along with Legzdins, keep Lindegaard as 3rd choice and bring in another 2nd choice keeper, preferably a youngster to eventually replace Heaton in a few years time.

# 48
houseboy
Posts: 3439
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 845 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby houseboy » Wed May 01, 2019 10:59 am

Lord Beamish wrote:I’d prefer Tony Hart in our nets rather than Joe; and he’s been dead ten years.

The points he helped very much for us to gain in early season (when - remember - both Heaton and Pope were injured) possibly make the difference between our survival and relegation. It is time some of the more biased element on here stopped knocking Hart - we didn't have a lot of option at the time and he did well in a lot of games. Which would the critics out there rather have, a tried and tested PL/international or one of two players who have never even really figured for us? It was a no-brainer and Hart should be respected for that.

# 49
Lord Beamish
Posts: 4116
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:00 pm
Been Liked: 2788 times
Has Liked: 1823 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby Lord Beamish » Wed May 01, 2019 11:04 am

houseboy wrote:The points he helped very much for us to gain in early season (when - remember - both Heaton and Pope were injured) possibly make the difference between our survival and relegation. It is time some of the more biased element on here stopped knocking Hart - we didn't have a lot of option at the time and he did well in a lot of games. Which would the critics out there rather have, a tried and tested PL/international or one of two players who have never even really figured for us? It was a no-brainer and Hart should be respected for that.

Jeez! You really are an utter blow hard, at times.

# 50
ynot
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:12 am
Been Liked: 1 time

Re: Pope or Hart?

Postby ynot » Wed May 01, 2019 11:05 am

Pope, without a doubt


Return to “The Bee Hole End”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 47 guests