Pope or Hart?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
KippaxFifaHD
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:56 pm
Been Liked: 24 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Pope or Hart?

Post by KippaxFifaHD » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:44 pm

Just want to throw something out there:
If we could only keep hold of one of them this summer, who would it be? Pope obviously is our youngest goalkeeper, and has a decent season under his belt, but has also barely played in the last year and I doubt he'd be happy playing second fiddle to Heaton again next year. For the fee we could potentially get for him, £15-20m or so, we could strengthen the squad in other areas, whilst still keeping Hart as a decent backup option should Heaton get injured again.
Keeping Pope and getting rid of Hart would mean that we've got two very strong goalkeepers, neither probably happy being number 2, and rotating the two could mean that we sacrifice some of our solidity defensively, as the back 4 wouldn't be able to build as strong a partnership with the keeper as they would if it didn't change. Hart leaving would probably not recoup a huge fee, meaning we break even, leaving no extra funds to strengthen the squad with.
Pros and cons for both, discuss
Last edited by KippaxFifaHD on Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

box_of_frogs
Posts: 3111
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:47 am
Been Liked: 680 times
Has Liked: 707 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by box_of_frogs » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:46 pm

Pope.

Caballo
Posts: 810
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:31 am
Been Liked: 295 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by Caballo » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:46 pm

Pope

joey13
Posts: 4837
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:39 pm
Been Liked: 1111 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by joey13 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:47 pm

Pope , nothing to discuss

taio
Posts: 5918
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:17 am
Been Liked: 1745 times
Has Liked: 144 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by taio » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:47 pm

Wouldn't be surprised if both leave. if one stays I'd want it to be Pope.

Colburn_Claret
Posts: 4497
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:30 pm
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2529 times
Location: Catterick N.Yorks

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:49 pm

Pope, it isnt even a contest, a no brainer in fact.

Buxtonclaret
Posts: 9966
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:05 am
Been Liked: 2430 times
Has Liked: 4733 times
Location: Derbyshire

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by Buxtonclaret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:54 pm

Pope.
Why are we asking?

Hedontplayforyou
Posts: 691
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:01 am
Been Liked: 161 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:05 pm

Pope

Bordeauxclaret
Posts: 6632
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:36 pm
Been Liked: 2130 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:07 pm

If fully fit - Pope.

If Pope hasn’t recovered from his shoulder injury - Pope.
These 7 users liked this post: BleedingClaret Colburn_Claret BertiesBeehole Lord Beamish Foulthrow Jel MT03ALG

theroyaldyche
Posts: 2681
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:26 pm
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by theroyaldyche » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:12 pm

Pope. Close thread

Darthlaw
Posts: 1878
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:08 pm
Been Liked: 808 times
Has Liked: 296 times
Location: Death Star, Dark Side Row S Seat 666

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by Darthlaw » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:14 pm

Neither will be prepared to warm the bench so it’s pretty irrelevant.

If we could loan Pope, rather than sell him it would be beneficial to us.

joey13
Posts: 4837
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:39 pm
Been Liked: 1111 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by joey13 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:18 pm

Darthlaw wrote:Neither will be prepared to warm the bench so it’s pretty irrelevant.

If we could loan Pope, rather than sell him it would be beneficial to us.
Can’t see him dropping down a division and we won’t loan to a rival

deanothedino
Posts: 1279
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:34 am
Been Liked: 655 times
Has Liked: 236 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by deanothedino » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:07 pm

It's a matter of time until Pope leaves if he shows the same form as in his first season.

levraiclaret
Posts: 1383
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:40 am
Been Liked: 347 times
Has Liked: 1052 times
Location: Leicestershire
Contact:

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by levraiclaret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:12 pm

Pope

Rick_Muller
Posts: 4823
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:53 am
Been Liked: 2157 times
Has Liked: 5192 times
Location: -90.000000, 0.000000

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by Rick_Muller » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:37 pm

Pope, succession planning and he knows he’ll be No 1 for years to come when Heaton gives him a chance. Heaton still has plenty to give, but won’t last forever. Pope knows this, I personally think he’d be happy fighting for the No 1 with us...
Last edited by Rick_Muller on Wed May 01, 2019 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greeny
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:41 pm
Been Liked: 48 times
Has Liked: 19 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by Greeny » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:50 pm

The choice is either an outstanding top quality goalkeeper or an overrated, overpaid, has been.

Pope proved he is a star before his unfortunate injury and gets my vote.

Move Hart on.

Although suspect Pope will be wanting game time after this season’s total wipeout and he could decide to look elsewhere. It will be a big loss.

Still can’t understand why Hart is on the bench.

RalphCoatesComb
Posts: 4981
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:38 pm
Been Liked: 1451 times
Has Liked: 1258 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:51 pm

Pope

CombatClaret
Posts: 3429
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:09 pm
Been Liked: 1502 times
Has Liked: 735 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by CombatClaret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:03 pm

Both should go and we should get in another reasonable BACK UP keeper.

Hart - Thanks for trying and stepping in when Pope and Heaton were crocked, it didn't work out sorry, good luck.
Pope - Are we a team that can afford to leave 15million+ salable asset on the bench for potentially a whole season?

Joe14
Posts: 938
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:43 pm
Been Liked: 198 times
Has Liked: 39 times
Location: Burnley

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by Joe14 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:09 pm

OP been drinking?

Pope all day long.

Bin Ont Turf
Posts: 9449
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:38 am
Been Liked: 4449 times
Has Liked: 554 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:14 pm

Get shut of the lot and see if John Spicer fancies the gig.

Not that much older than Heaton anyway.
This user liked this post: Foulthrow

Devils_Advocate
Posts: 6783
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:43 pm
Been Liked: 2629 times
Has Liked: 500 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:25 pm

I'd keep Pope if it was to be backup for Heaton but if Heaton left Hart would be #1 as don't think Pope is good enough to be first choice keeper for a Premier league team

TVC15
Posts: 7625
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 pm
Been Liked: 3022 times
Has Liked: 549 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by TVC15 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:32 pm

Haha

COBBLE
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:04 am
Been Liked: 229 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by COBBLE » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:35 pm

It will be a business decision.

exilecanada
Posts: 534
Joined: Sat May 12, 2018 4:08 pm
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by exilecanada » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:52 pm

The Pope/Heaton/Hart could be a real dilemma for the club. Heaton’s obviously #1, club captain, well respected, is at the top of his game and at his prime as far as a goalies age go. Hart has little or no value on the open market. Pope’s an unknown quantity at the moment, who knows if he’s back to form, he hasn’t featured on the bench, never mind a meaningful game. Pope won’t be happy to back up Heaton, so sell him to the highest bidder, say goodbye to Hart and re-sign Lindegaard as a reliable backup. Seek, find and nurture a future #1

Bop
Posts: 664
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:48 pm
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 309 times
Location: Sandbach

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by Bop » Wed May 01, 2019 12:12 am

I hope Popey will be our new no.1 when Heaton quits/goes. Arguably the better keeper but Heaton is the better skipper.

tim_noone
Posts: 14560
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:12 pm
Been Liked: 3728 times
Has Liked: 12863 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by tim_noone » Wed May 01, 2019 12:23 am

Bop wrote:I hope Popey will be our new no.1 when Heaton quits/goes. Arguably the better keeper but Heaton is the better skipper.
But what about Hart?

Bullabill
Posts: 491
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:40 am
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 110 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by Bullabill » Wed May 01, 2019 12:41 am

Discuss??? Yeah, OK.

boatshed bill
Posts: 5808
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:47 am
Been Liked: 1223 times
Has Liked: 2729 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by boatshed bill » Wed May 01, 2019 12:50 am

Lindegaard or Legzdins? :)

gtclaret
Posts: 730
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:45 am
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by gtclaret » Wed May 01, 2019 12:58 am

taio wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if both leave. if one stays I'd want it to be Pope.
Agreed

Vegas Claret
Posts: 16459
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:00 am
Been Liked: 5374 times
Has Liked: 2521 times
Location: clue is in the title

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed May 01, 2019 1:06 am

Hart is leaving, he wants to leave and you can't blame him. We keep Pope, sell him for a ridiculous number or loan him out

The Enclosure
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:29 am
Been Liked: 692 times
Has Liked: 2362 times
Location: Burnley

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by The Enclosure » Wed May 01, 2019 1:41 am

The Pontiff

Caballo
Posts: 810
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:31 am
Been Liked: 295 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by Caballo » Wed May 01, 2019 7:05 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:I'd keep Pope if it was to be backup for Heaton but if Heaton left Hart would be #1 as don't think Pope is good enough to be first choice keeper for a Premier league team

Time you found a new shtick, you've played this hand to death!

deanothedino
Posts: 1279
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:34 am
Been Liked: 655 times
Has Liked: 236 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by deanothedino » Wed May 01, 2019 7:18 am

Rick_Muller wrote:Pope, succession planning and he knows he’ll be No 1 for years to come when Heaton gives him a chance. Heston still has plenty to give, but won’t last forever. Pope knows this, I personally think he’d be happy fighting for the No 1 with us...
Yes, I'm sure he'll be happy to play understudy if a top ten side starts to show interest and we'll be perfectly happy to leave millions on the bench for in 4/5/6 years time...

IanMcL
Posts: 18653
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:27 pm
Been Liked: 3679 times
Has Liked: 4331 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by IanMcL » Wed May 01, 2019 9:34 am

Not a real contest!

ClaretTony
Posts: 37395
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:07 pm
Been Liked: 16998 times
Has Liked: 3172 times
Location: Burnley
Contact:

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by ClaretTony » Wed May 01, 2019 9:38 am

Been strong suggestions recently that Pope will be leaving this summer

Quickenthetempo
Posts: 10333
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:35 am
Been Liked: 2284 times
Has Liked: 1282 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed May 01, 2019 9:43 am

ClaretTony wrote:Been strong suggestions recently that Pope will be leaving this summer
You can't blame him really. Just getting going in his career and not even making the bench at Burnley.

Down_Rover
Posts: 1217
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:09 pm
Been Liked: 334 times
Has Liked: 132 times
Location: Manchester

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by Down_Rover » Wed May 01, 2019 9:49 am

CombatClaret wrote:Both should go and we should get in another reasonable BACK UP keeper.

Hart - Thanks for trying and stepping in when Pope and Heaton were crocked, it didn't work out sorry, good luck.
Pope - Are we a team that can afford to leave 15million+ salable asset on the bench for potentially a whole season?
We have had a number of £15m players on the bench waiting for their turn

Tarks
Gibson
Vydra, who's turn may yet come
Even Vokes and Long are/were worth good money

Lose Hart, keep Pope for me if it is achievable. If Pope believes he is good enough he will plan to stay and dislodge Heaton. If he thinks he is not good enough then cash in

TVC15
Posts: 7625
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 pm
Been Liked: 3022 times
Has Liked: 549 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by TVC15 » Wed May 01, 2019 9:51 am

Down_Rover wrote:We have had a number of £15m players on the bench waiting for their turn

Tarks
Gibson
Vydra, who's turn may yet come
Even Vokes and Long are/were worth good money

Lose Hart, keep Pope for me if it is achievable. If Pope believes he is good enough he will plan to stay and dislodge Heaton. If he thinks he is not good enough then cash in
How much do you think Vokes is worth ?
I think he still has a key role to play for us and he looked good on Sunday when he came on.

The Enclosure
Posts: 2449
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:29 am
Been Liked: 692 times
Has Liked: 2362 times
Location: Burnley

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by The Enclosure » Wed May 01, 2019 9:58 am

TVC15 wrote:How much do you think Vokes is worth ?
I think he still has a key role to play for us and he looked good on Sunday when he came on.

Have I missed something here ?
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

TVC15
Posts: 7625
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 pm
Been Liked: 3022 times
Has Liked: 549 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by TVC15 » Wed May 01, 2019 10:02 am

The Enclosure wrote:Have I missed something here ?
Nope - but I think I missed he put the word “were” !

JTClaret
Posts: 482
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:51 am
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 76 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by JTClaret » Wed May 01, 2019 10:25 am

The only possible reason for choosing Hart over Pope would be the thought that we would get more for Pope - whereas keep him and don't play him, he could go for nothing.

But it's a no brainer really. Everybody would want Pope - Hart would probably cause a problem if sat on the bench all the time. But Hart certainly isn't bad back-up

Lord Beamish
Posts: 4846
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:00 pm
Been Liked: 3294 times
Has Liked: 2448 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by Lord Beamish » Wed May 01, 2019 10:31 am

I’d prefer Tony Hart in our nets rather than Joe; and he’s been dead ten years.

Caernarfon_Claret
Posts: 4945
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:53 am
Been Liked: 1416 times
Has Liked: 624 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Wed May 01, 2019 10:46 am

I see that many hope we keep Pope and part with Hart, if we keep Pope will the heat be on Heaton? Where will the departing Hart go next?

FactualFrank
Posts: 21034
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:46 am
Been Liked: 5791 times
Has Liked: 9855 times
Location: Leeds

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by FactualFrank » Wed May 01, 2019 10:51 am

As a fan, keep Pope and have him challenge Heaton for the starting spot.
The club know more about how Pope feels though and it'll depend on how much we get for bids, if we get any in for him.

So for me it would be just Hart, or both. Either way, our Hart will go on..

houseboy
Posts: 5586
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1651 times
Has Liked: 1283 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by houseboy » Wed May 01, 2019 10:52 am

KippaxFifaHD wrote:Just want to throw something out there:
If we could only keep hold of one of them this summer, who would it be? Pope obviously is our youngest goalkeeper, and has a decent season under his belt, but has also barely played in the last year and I doubt he'd be happy playing second fiddle to Heaton again next year. For the fee we could potentially get for him, £15-20m or so, we could strengthen the squad in other areas, whilst still keeping Hart as a decent backup option should Heaton get injured again.
Keeping Pope and getting rid of Hart would mean that we've got two very strong goalkeepers, neither probably happy being number 2, and rotating the two could mean that we sacrifice some of our solidity defensively, as the back 4 wouldn't be able to build as strong a partnership with the keeper as they would if it didn't change. Hart leaving would probably not recoup a huge fee, meaning we break even, leaving no extra funds to strengthen the squad with.
Pros and cons for both, discuss
Very sensible post. The Hart haters on here might not like it but it DOES make sense. Besides Pope, to be fair, had one partial season of excellence so who is to say he would continue in that way? He certainly won't be happy bench warming next season and unless Heaton gets another injury that's exactly what he would be doing. Good players want to play, that is why many ask for transfers or even agree to loans to lesser clubs.

Dougall
Posts: 286
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:50 pm
Been Liked: 110 times
Has Liked: 145 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by Dougall » Wed May 01, 2019 10:53 am

Next stop for Joe Hart? - America

KRBFC
Posts: 9909
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:18 am
Been Liked: 1799 times
Has Liked: 689 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by KRBFC » Wed May 01, 2019 10:57 am

Keep Hart, Pope will bring in much more funds to improve the side in other areas, providing Heaton is to remain number 1 of course. I'd personally have Pope over Heaton but given the form of Heaton, it's impossible to drop him.

I wouldn't mind seeing Pope and Hart leave though along with Legzdins, keep Lindegaard as 3rd choice and bring in another 2nd choice keeper, preferably a youngster to eventually replace Heaton in a few years time.

houseboy
Posts: 5586
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1651 times
Has Liked: 1283 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by houseboy » Wed May 01, 2019 10:59 am

Lord Beamish wrote:I’d prefer Tony Hart in our nets rather than Joe; and he’s been dead ten years.
The points he helped very much for us to gain in early season (when - remember - both Heaton and Pope were injured) possibly make the difference between our survival and relegation. It is time some of the more biased element on here stopped knocking Hart - we didn't have a lot of option at the time and he did well in a lot of games. Which would the critics out there rather have, a tried and tested PL/international or one of two players who have never even really figured for us? It was a no-brainer and Hart should be respected for that.

Lord Beamish
Posts: 4846
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:00 pm
Been Liked: 3294 times
Has Liked: 2448 times

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by Lord Beamish » Wed May 01, 2019 11:04 am

houseboy wrote:The points he helped very much for us to gain in early season (when - remember - both Heaton and Pope were injured) possibly make the difference between our survival and relegation. It is time some of the more biased element on here stopped knocking Hart - we didn't have a lot of option at the time and he did well in a lot of games. Which would the critics out there rather have, a tried and tested PL/international or one of two players who have never even really figured for us? It was a no-brainer and Hart should be respected for that.
Jeez! You really are an utter blow hard, at times.

ynot
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:12 am
Been Liked: 1 time

Re: Pope or Hart?

Post by ynot » Wed May 01, 2019 11:05 am

Pope, without a doubt

Post Reply