New Jaguar To Be Built In Slovakia

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ecc
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 1278 times

New Jaguar To Be Built In Slovakia

Post by ecc » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:22 pm

"Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) will build its next-generation Land Rover Defender 4x4 in Slovakia rather than the UK."

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48103070" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Re: New Jaguar To Be Built In Slovakia

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:25 pm

Better workers. Cheaper price. No issue!

Especially if it improves reliability issues...

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2293 times
Has Liked: 2166 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:27 pm

ecc wrote:"Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) will build its next-generation Land Rover Defender 4x4 in Slovakia rather than the UK."

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48103070" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I’ve been to the site, it’s impressive. Old news really though, all the 2nd tier suppliers started moving out there years ago in preparation.

Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:29 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Better workers. Cheaper price. No issue!

Especially if it improves reliability issues...
Could be any worse, bloody terrible cars these days

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:41 pm

When Tata Motors bought JLR years ago they guaranteed that all LANDROVER branded cars would continue to be built in Solihull. However it was said at that time that the Defender would lose it's LR branding and would be built abroad as soon as an appropriate site was found. It was known the year before last that the new plant was to built in Slovakia. Loads of workers from LandRover Solihull have been going over there in the past 12 months to train people.

Tata have committed to ALL Jaguar and LandRover branded cars being built in the UK.

ClaretMoffitt
Been Liked: 1216 times
Has Liked: 807 times

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:43 pm

Suppose this decision has nothing to do with the fact that the minimum wage in Slovakia is just €520 per MONTH.

About £2.80 and hour...

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:48 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Better workers.
:lol:
This user liked this post: turfytopper

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:49 pm

ClaretMoffitt wrote:Suppose this decision has nothing to do with the fact that the minimum wage in Slovakia is just €520 per MONTH.

About £2.80 and hour...
The planes from England to Bratislava will be absolutely rammed for a piece of this.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:08 pm

Better robots, no one deals with the automation issue.

The ATM put hundreds of thousands of bank tellers out of work around the world...

SmudgetheClaret
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by SmudgetheClaret » Wed May 01, 2019 6:43 am

ecc wrote:"Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) will build its next-generation Land Rover Defender 4x4 in Slovakia rather than the UK."

And no doubt the move will be funded by EU loans ...

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed May 01, 2019 8:18 am

Pimlico_Claret wrote:Could be any worse, bloody terrible cars these days
Touch wood i never had any issues. But i know plenty who have.

New car coming in 3 weeks. Someone I know ordered the exact same one by pure chance. After 2,000 miles it had 17 major faults :shock:

Sutton-Claret
Been Liked: 378 times
Has Liked: 165 times

Post by Sutton-Claret » Wed May 01, 2019 11:08 am

CombatClaret wrote:Better robots, no one deals with the automation issue.

The ATM put hundreds of thousands of bank tellers out of work around the world...
But also gave work to people who design and build them / install them / and control them. Robots do not take workers jobs - jobs are just transferred to other skills and industries.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed May 01, 2019 11:17 am

Sigh.

It shares chassis and running gear with one of the current Discovery models that's also built in Slovakia, so from a business point of view it makes more sense to build it over there, but it's been common knowledge for a while now that it was going to happen.

JLR are wanting to produce their electric vehicles over here in the UK, so we can stop the knicker twisting for a little while yet.

When can we start a thread about VAG potentially slashing up to 7k jobs in Germany?
That's due to the easier manufacturing processes for electric vehicles, meaning more automaton and less human involvement.
That will eventually happen over here, just to give the hand wringers a heads up.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed May 01, 2019 11:17 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Touch wood i never had any issues. But i know plenty who have.

New car coming in 3 weeks. Someone I know ordered the exact same one by pure chance. After 2,000 miles it had 17 major faults :shock:
What you getting?

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Wed May 01, 2019 11:33 am

Tata motors boss:" BMW big seller, make Jag XE BMW 320"
Ian Callum: "Yes sir."

So they screw the design and but a 90's Astra back on it, to lower the class to gain entry to a bigger market. It's a disaster.

Tata motors boss: "More like Volvo, Volvo big seller".
Ian Callum: "Yes sir."

So they take the door and the side indentation bar from a 2005 Volvo S40 and look at the result. A pig of a car with an identikit look instead of the beauty and class of the original XF and then they say sales are down because of a Chinese recession...

Sutton-Claret
Been Liked: 378 times
Has Liked: 165 times

Post by Sutton-Claret » Wed May 01, 2019 11:55 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Touch wood i never had any issues. But i know plenty who have.

I have a mate who's missus has an Evoque - its goes into the garage on a weekly basis. It cuts out randomly but only at speeds over 50mph :o

Once saw a JLR technician driving it on the A64 near York - I was doing 70 ;) and he went past like I was standing still...... its still not fixed. However they lend her a Jag F-pace whenever its in the garage - so she's happy.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed May 01, 2019 9:42 pm

Sutton-Claret wrote:I have a mate who's missus has an Evoque - its goes into the garage on a weekly basis. It cuts out randomly but only at speeds over 50mph :o

Once saw a JLR technician driving it on the A64 near York - I was doing 70 ;) and he went past like I was standing still...... its still not fixed. However they lend her a Jag F-pace whenever its in the garage - so she's happy.
My mate has an evoque and swears by it and hasnt had an issue in 7 years.

Equally my uncles had jaguars as long as i remember and he has also been lucky.

I did raise the question at a dealership (not where i bought it and they knew i wouldnt be buying from them) and they insisted that while there is no getting away from the reputation, if looked after properly they are no less reliable than any equivelent... but then they would say that.

Tbf the only two issues ive known of are the one that affected my mates recently. And one that affected someone else i knows e pace... but that is down to driver rather than vehicle. (4,000 miles a year,no motorway driving in a diesel SUV :lol: )

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed May 01, 2019 9:45 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:What you getting?
Only ever had german and never had a single issue that wasnt driver related :D :D ... recently changed to xe sport awd which has been a dream tbh (other than crap MPG - because of the awd I think....)

Wouldve stuck with that but for the need for more space. XE boot and back seats arent ideal. Obviously wasnt a problem before... So gone for disco sport (landmark). Was tempted to keep the xe and get a defender for dossing in and holidays...

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Wed May 01, 2019 10:35 pm

SmudgetheClaret wrote:And no doubt the move will be funded by EU loans ...
Apparently no EU loans involved according to JLR. The space at Lode Lane, where the LandRover factory has been since before WW2, is needed to concentrate on building LR badged vehicles and for the growing electric vehicle market. They moved new production to Slovakia years ago and have simply moved all Disco production over there. No real job losses, despite what the press have said, it is all about stopping agency contract workers so as to give JLR employees enough to do.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon May 13, 2019 9:22 pm

Rumours are Jaguar Land Rover to be bought by the french...

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:25 pm

Rumours still rumbling on about PSA buying JLR.

Meanwhile JLR have committed to building their new all electric Jaguar model in the UK, regardless of Brexit.

Bentley have also started revealing information about it's concept electric motor, but they've also committed to having all electric options in its range by 2023 I think it was.

Looks like they're all starting to take electric vehicles seriously now, including the supercar companies.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2167 times
Has Liked: 3100 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:29 pm

I'd urge any redundant worker at the British site to TUPE themselves over and live it up if at all possible. Come on in, the pivo's lovely!

claret2018
Been Liked: 810 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:40 pm

The mechanic in my local garage told me to stay well clear of an Evoque - he had one in at the time that was 30k mile old and needed a new engine! He said he had that many in on a regular basis that the Evoque was paying for his kids to go to university

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:50 pm

claret2018 wrote:The mechanic in my local garage told me to stay well clear of an Evoque - he had one in at the time that was 30k mile old and needed a new engine! He said he had that many in on a regular basis that the Evoque was paying for his kids to go to university
They appear to have an issue with the Drivetrain/transmission.

Plus when I was selling Land rover parts, the ford engine in the Evoque doesn't seem the most reliable.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:11 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Rumours still rumbling on about PSA buying JLR.

Meanwhile JLR have committed to building their new all electric Jaguar model in the UK, regardless of Brexit.

Bentley have also started revealing information about it's concept electric motor, but they've also committed to having all electric options in its range by 2023 I think it was.

Looks like they're all starting to take electric vehicles seriously now, including the supercar companies.
Boring bastards.

Drove past the new defender today. Being tested in its black and white skin.

Didn’t like it at all. One car they should’ve left alone is the defender. Leave it mechanical and simple.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:46 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Boring bastards.

Drove past the new defender today. Being tested in its black and white skin.

Didn’t like it at all. One car they should’ve left alone is the defender. Leave it mechanical and simple.
Blame the EU, it's their regulations that finished off the defender.

Besides, I think the Jeep Wrangler is a better off-road vehicle than the Defender, but that's not a shock considering the original Land Rover was created using the first Jeeps as inspiration and as a template.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:26 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Blame the EU, it's their regulations that finished off the defender.

Besides, I think the Jeep Wrangler is a better off-road vehicle than the Defender, but that's not a shock considering the original Land Rover was created using the first Jeeps as inspiration and as a template.
I do like the wrangler. Both iconic. Both distinctive. But personally prefer the defender.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:08 am

Well well it seems Jaguar are still willing to invest in the UK after all,i wonder what the doom mongers make of this announcement.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48875406

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:27 am

If they've read the full article around investment dropping 47% and comments around Brexit and Ellesmere Port Id guess they're still pretty much full of doom and gloom about the whole fiasco

basil6345789
Been Liked: 482 times
Has Liked: 2292 times

Post by basil6345789 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:08 am

Regardless of Brexit, everything has been shifting to EU for years; Poland, Czech, Italy, etc. Don't blame Brexit, blame EU.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:01 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:If they've read the full article around investment dropping 47% and comments around Brexit and Ellesmere Port Id guess they're still pretty much full of doom and gloom about the whole fiasco
From that link -
VW alone is investing £70bn in Europe, the US and China
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-volks ... KKBN1QU0OA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VAG are looking to chop about 5k jobs because electric cars are easier to build and their profit margins have dropped.
The article states 7k jobs at the top but mentions the creation of 2k jobs in its electric vehicle section.

So it isn't all happiness over on mainland Europe either.

Could it just be possible that the automotive industry is going to a major change so investment will drop in some areas, some jobs will be lost whilst new ones are created and until the main companies make a firm decision things will be a bit up in the air?
We can attribute some of the indecision to Brexit, but not all of it.
Plus there is only so much investment a company can make before it reaches the limits and modern car plants are pretty up to date for the current range of vehicles.

VAG have also been caught yet again fitting emission cheating devices on vehicles two years after they were originally caught....they're facing more fines.
The emission issue has certainly led to the drop in sales and a lack of confidence in VAG/diesels.

Companies like Honda won't want to make an electric vehicle over here when Japan usually lead the way with electronics.

Ford are closing factories right across Europe and they've decided that the current market is more about the little SUV style vehicles and are dropping the Mondeo as a result but will be releasing a new Puma in the SUV style.
Their diesel engines are also struggling with sales and with governments handing out deadlines for the sales of new diesel vehicles they'll look at shifting direction, close plants down and streamline their business, bit like VAG are doing
That isn't entirely a brexit issue, the automotive industry has to go through these changes regardless of Brexir, but I'm well aware most will stick the whole blame on Brexit.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:08 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:From that link -

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-volks ... KKBN1QU0OA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VAG are looking to chop about 5k jobs because electric cars are easier to build and their profit margins have dropped.
The article states 7k jobs at the top but mentions the creation of 2k jobs in its electric vehicle section.

So it isn't all happiness over on mainland Europe either.

Could it just be possible that the automotive industry is going to a major change so investment will drop in some areas, some jobs will be lost whilst new ones are created and until the main companies make a firm decision things will be a bit up in the air?
We can attribute some of the indecision to Brexit, but not all of it.
Plus there is only so much investment a company can make before it reaches the limits and modern car plants are pretty up to date for the current range of vehicles.

VAG have also been caught yet again fitting emission cheating devices on vehicles two years after they were originally caught....they're facing more fines.
The emission issue has certainly led to the drop in sales and a lack of confidence in VAG/diesels.

Companies like Honda won't want to make an electric vehicle over here when Japan usually lead the way with electronics.

Ford are closing factories right across Europe and they've decided that the current market is more about the little SUV style vehicles and are dropping the Mondeo as a result but will be releasing a new Puma in the SUV style.
Their diesel engines are also struggling with sales and with governments handing out deadlines for the sales of new diesel vehicles they'll look at shifting direction, close plants down and streamline their business, bit like VAG are doing
That isn't entirely a brexit issue, the automotive industry has to go through these changes regardless of Brexir, but I'm well aware most will stick the whole blame on Brexit.
Not sure why you are responding to me with this. Tiger76 was the one equating Brexit with news about whats happening in the car industry. When someone starts linking the two together you are normally straight on to them or do you only target those that you think have a remain slant cos im sure you've said before you're impartial and not for or against either side.

Anyway all I was doing was answering his question on what doom and gloom mongers might make of the article and didn't give an opinion either way on what was true or not so have a chat with Tiger76 about Brexit and its impact either or positive or negative on the car industry.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:26 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Not sure why you are responding to me with this. Tiger76 was the one equating Brexit with news about whats happening in the car industry. When someone starts linking the two together you are normally straight on to them or do you only target those that you think have a remain slant cos im sure you've said before you're impartial and not for or against either side.

Anyway all I was doing was answering his question on what doom and gloom mongers might make of the article and didn't give an opinion either way on what was true or not so have a chat with Tiger76 about Brexit and its impact either or positive or negative on the car industry.
You mentioned the drop in investment, I was just highlighting reasons why and the current changes in the auto industry.
I wasn't mentioned to target just you.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:30 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:You mentioned the drop in investment, I was just highlighting reasons why and the current changes in the auto industry.
I wasn't mentioned to target just you.
The article mentioned drop in investment I just referenced what the article said. Fair enough if you were just making your point in general but I've never seen you do it to someone painting a good news story and Tiger76 seemed the better person to quote as he was the one making the link and not me
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81