The Dyche Paradox

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
agreenwood
Been Liked: 1739 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Re: The Dyche Paradox

Post by agreenwood » Fri May 03, 2019 8:16 am

Good article.

If he had a reputation for attractive football, he’d have left by now. Other managers have been offered big jobs with less substance on their CV. The man in the opposition dugout tonight is a prime example.

His best hope of getting a job at a bigger club is probably to drop into the Championship with a Derby or a Leeds etc and build from there.

He deserves more career recognition, but I’m not sure anything will change for him for the foreseeable future.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri May 03, 2019 8:32 am

agreenwood wrote:Good article.

If he had a reputation for attractive football, he’d have left by now. Other managers have been offered big jobs with less substance on their CV. The man in the opposition dugout tonight is a prime example.

His best hope of getting a job at a bigger club is probably to drop into the Championship with a Derby or a Leeds etc and build from there.

He deserves more career recognition, but I’m not sure anything will change for him for the foreseeable future.
Makes you wonder how Big Sam got offered jobs at Everton, Newcastle or even the England job as his style is perceived to be no better.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2596 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Fri May 03, 2019 9:02 am

Spijed wrote:Makes you wonder how Big Sam got offered jobs at Everton, Newcastle or even the England job as his style is perceived to be no better.
He'd been managing longer than Dyche, with a briefly quite entertaining Bolton side, before he even got offered a job at Newcastle. After that he was a fire fighting, safe pair of hands manager. You can easily imagine a similar path for Dyche, but hopefully not for a while.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Fri May 03, 2019 10:56 am

TVC15 wrote:He cost £30m and is probably now worth £150m less than 2 years later. Yes he missed a sitter but I think it’s not been too bad a signing !!!
Plus I thought despite the miss that he played very well last night - as I thought Liverpool did. Great game to watch.
Yes in agreement... in a roundabout way I was trying to highlight a comparison in budgets and what they achieve.. a Chris wood miss is pretty irrelevant to Burnley... Compared to the Salah miss and the revenue and prestige it could have brought in,granted it's still only half time.going back to the Article finance will always dictate Burnleys style of play Long or short term. We've all got to be Happy with our Lot at this moment in time....Sean dyche an amazing character tbh.

brigante
Been Liked: 240 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by brigante » Fri May 03, 2019 11:05 am

It seems to be commonly accepted that managing a top 6 club is panacea for a manager. Bearing in mind the expectation, the constant critical appraisal and the merry go rounds that ensue, I’m not sure it’s always the case.

I don’t doubt there will be some managers who have a certain set of skills who look at that environment and what they can achieve with those skills at a less prestigious club and feel that so long as they are remunerated satisfactorily they can enjoy relative success along with board and fan support and enjoy their job/life.

I think Dyche may be in the latter category, and long may he continue with us.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4324 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Fri May 03, 2019 11:09 am

Gab Marcotti's knowledge of Burnley FC would comfortably fit on the back of a postage stamp

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Fri May 03, 2019 11:22 am

I Don't know how much the top six have spent in their quest for Winning trophies...city aside they haven't won anything yet a bit Like Burnley.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri May 03, 2019 12:21 pm

thatdberight wrote:
In 2015-16 season, when Burnley won the Championship, they were undoubtedly near the top in terms of wage bill.

In 2015-16;
20th in shots
19th in shots on target
15th in passes
first in long passes
second in blocks.
Pretty much puts to bed the myth we play hoofball because we're out matched financially given we played the same with one of the highest wage bills in the division below.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri May 03, 2019 12:39 pm

Our wage bill wasn't "undoubtedly near the top" that year, it was the tenth highest, around midtable.

Marvins Van
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Marvins Van » Fri May 03, 2019 11:40 pm

I will probably have a chop for my tea.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Sat May 04, 2019 12:14 am

To merge threads a little with "Football's Magic Money Tree"

The Premier League’s Parity Problem
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/26/spor ... -city.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Five of the teams have changed their manager, some more than once, appointing a cadre of the finest coaches of their generation, men who have won multiple championships in Spain, Italy, Germany and France, as well as a glut of Champions League and Europa League crowns. The one that has not, Tottenham, has built a stadium described as the most advanced in the sport, at a cost of £1 billion ($1.3 billion)."
--

Dyche will likely never manage a top 6 team because they are so far removed our world.
I love our approach, the refusal to dance to their tune, inflate the market and try to imitate others.

We are are the Viet Cong of Premier League football, we can't fight them on the battlefield so head to the hills and make them suffer. It isn't sexy; there will be limbs flying and defeats on the way but we'll hold out against the Saudi Princes, Russian Oligarchs and US Tycoons.

Heaven forbid it's not a paradox because Dyche can see the writing on the wall and knows this approach will never see him in the top 6. But he does the best job he can for us like the professional he is. No one likes us...
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone lucs86