Willie Irvine in hospital after fall

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Claret Till I Die
Been Liked: 1141 times
Has Liked: 1615 times

Re: Willie Irvine in hospital after fall

Post by Claret Till I Die » Thu May 09, 2019 9:39 am

Lord Beamish wrote:CtID bought me a pint once, under the Bob Lord Stand.

I know! Hard to believe, isn’t it?
I must have been under the influence......

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2378 times
Has Liked: 3801 times

Post by JohnMac » Thu May 09, 2019 9:43 am

Always happy to chat when you see him in town and my first sporting hero.

Get well soon Willie.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32369 times
Has Liked: 5268 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu May 09, 2019 9:46 am

Latest news I've had on Willie is that there has been an improvement.
These 3 users liked this post: Quicknick JohnMac basil6345789

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Thu May 09, 2019 3:38 pm

Which Everton player ended his career
It must have been a x rated injury
We had some our very best players done and finished by players over the years Frank was another just before our semi final

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu May 09, 2019 3:42 pm

Longside4evr wrote:Which Everton player ended his career
It must have been a x rated injury
We had some our very best players done and finished by players over the years Frank was another just before our semi final
Didn't end his career but kept him out from January until the start of the following season - the player in question was Johnny Morrisey.
This user liked this post: Longside4evr

Claret Till I Die

Post by Claret Till I Die » Sun May 12, 2019 1:35 pm

Just had a telephone conversation with my dad and told him that I was going on the Turf and that we were playing Arsenal. He replied that he'd made his debut versus Arsenal, something that I've heard many times but this time it sounded special.
These 17 users liked this post: elwaclaret Vino blanco Herts Clarets longside72 Sarum Buxtonclaret jordsclarets Andingle Bop boatshed bill tim_noone randomclaret2 BFCmaj conyoviejo IanMcL Tricky Trevor Quicknick

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Sun May 12, 2019 2:23 pm

Claret Till I Die wrote:Just had a telephone conversation with my dad and told him that I was going on the Turf and that we were playing Arsenal. He replied that he'd made his debut versus Arsenal, something that I've heard many times but this time it sounded special.
Encouraging to hear that. And being Willie Irvine, he of course scored on his debut.

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Sun May 12, 2019 7:08 pm

CTID, I called round to your mums yesterday morning and left her something to cheer her up. She thought it was something for your dad and was chuffed when I said it was for her, to help her through the tough time she's having.

Claret Till I Die

Post by Claret Till I Die » Sun May 12, 2019 8:49 pm

Bfc wrote:CTID, I called round to your mums yesterday morning and left her something to cheer her up. She thought it was something for your dad and was chuffed when I said it was for her, to help her through the tough time she's having.
Thank you Bfc. They have pride of place in the window and they have certainly done their job.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 17, 2019 2:14 pm

Just read this from Jonathan Irvine, one of Willie's sons, in the Burnley Express.

His son, Jonathan, said: "My father has undergone surgery to his brain. The doctors had to remove pooled blood and relieve the pressure from his brain. Post-operatively he is doing well and as a family we are pleased with the results. It was an extremely difficult decision to go ahead with the procedure as its major surgery. The operation lasted over three hours and since then we have seen a significant improvement in dad's condition. He remains in good spirits, his appetite is returning and he is speech is getting better, but it's a long road to recovery."

He added: "We would like our dad to be discharged home, but we realise that the hospital is the best place for him to optimise his recovery. He's is making progress each and every day."

Jonathan went on to thank wellwishers, fans, friends, relatives and neighbours for their love and best wishes. "We are truly grateful for everyone's support."

He also paid tribute to his mum, Rita, who he said was the family's "rock". He stated: "Mum has been incredible and extremely brave. It's a worrying time for us as a family and extremely difficult as mum has had to travel every day and sit beside my dad for 10-12 hours each day. She's been amazing."

Jonathan concluded by expressing his gratitude to the nursing staff on Wards 2a and 2b at Royal Preston Hospital. He said: "They have been wonderful with my dad and all of the family."

My best wishes and thoughts are with Willie, Rita, Darren, Jonathan, Stephen & their families.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

Oo_George
Been Liked: 15 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by Oo_George » Fri May 17, 2019 2:45 pm

Thanks CT.
It’s still a long road to recovery, but after the op on Wednesday he has come on a lot.
After the prognosis the neurosurgeon gave us the morning of the fall, it’s nothing short of a miracle to see him now, and he, and all of us are so grateful and humbled at the well wishes from everybody.
We certainly hope to target being on the turf with him for the first game of next season one way or another!
J.
These 7 users liked this post: Andingle ClaretTony martin_p Ashingtonclaret46 conyoviejo nil_desperandum The Enclosure

Andingle
Been Liked: 274 times
Has Liked: 351 times

Post by Andingle » Fri May 17, 2019 2:58 pm

Keep fighting Willie and wishing you a speedy recovery

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 17, 2019 2:58 pm

Oo_George wrote:Thanks CT.
It’s still a long road to recovery, but after the op on Wednesday he has come on a lot.
After the prognosis the neurosurgeon gave us the morning of the fall, it’s nothing short of a miracle to see him now, and he, and all of us are so grateful and humbled at the well wishes from everybody.
We certainly hope to target being on the turf with him for the first game of next season one way or another!
J.
I spoke to Darren a few days ago via text (Monday I think) and he said he'd just had a good day. I wasn't expecting this news today but so pleased to hear he's come through it and started to improve. Send my best wishes to your mum please and tell your dad I'll see him next season.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Fri May 17, 2019 3:01 pm

Another bad transfer window and he will be on the bench or even playing for us

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 17, 2019 3:03 pm

mdd2 wrote:Another bad transfer window and he will be on the bench or even playing for us
You wouldn't put your best goalscorer on the bench surely?

Claret Till I Die

Post by Claret Till I Die » Fri May 17, 2019 3:08 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I spoke to Darren a few days ago via text (Monday I think) and he said he'd just had a good day. I wasn't expecting this news today but so pleased to hear he's come through it and started to improve. Send my best wishes to your mum please and tell your dad I'll see him next season.
Cheers Tony. He went for what we presumed a normal CT scan on Monday night and went home as normal after visiting. My mum was taken on by a family friend on Tuesday were she was met by a nurse telling her that they were going to operate that day to relieve the pressure. A couple of phone calls later everything was literally dropped at work and off we shot to Preston again. Due to a longer than normal procedure before my dad was due in it was decided to postpone it until Wednesday am. I've been there more or less ever since, sleeping (?) in a chair by the side of his bed, coming home each day for a couple of hours sleep and a shower. Thankfully it looks very much like the op was a success and that we're getting a husband/dad/grandad and father in law back again. As mentioned previously he still has a long way to go but he's made major strides already.
Thank you to everyone for their thoughts and prayers, it's a phrase used a lot but it really does mean a lot to us all. x
These 17 users liked this post: ClaretTony Vino blanco AndrewJB ClaretPope Ashingtonclaret46 conyoviejo Buxtonclaret Tricky Trevor Andingle ecc The Enclosure basil6345789 Cajun DAVETHEVICAR bfcjg Darnhill Claret BFCmaj

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1829 times
Has Liked: 2623 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Fri May 17, 2019 4:07 pm

Claret Till I Die wrote:Cheers Tony. He went for what we presumed a normal CT scan on Monday night and went home as normal after visiting. My mum was taken on by a family friend on Tuesday were she was met by a nurse telling her that they were going to operate that day to relieve the pressure. A couple of phone calls later everything was literally dropped at work and off we shot to Preston again. Due to a longer than normal procedure before my dad was due in it was decided to postpone it until Wednesday am. I've been there more or less ever since, sleeping (?) in a chair by the side of his bed, coming home each day for a couple of hours sleep and a shower. Thankfully it looks very much like the op was a success and that we're getting a husband/dad/grandad and father in law back again. As mentioned previously he still has a long way to go but he's made major strides already.
Thank you to everyone for their thoughts and prayers, it's a phrase used a lot but it really does mean a lot to us all. x
I have passed this news on to the Adair family who were neighbours of your dad when he was growing up and of whom I have spoken to him about several times in the past. They are spread out all over the place but all send their best wishes for a speedy and full recovery. My best wishes to all of you.

ecc
Been Liked: 1407 times
Has Liked: 1278 times

Post by ecc » Sat May 18, 2019 11:23 am

Always very sad when our ex-players are ill or worse.

Let's hope Willie pulls through.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat May 18, 2019 9:23 pm

Appreciate the update.

Come on Willie. You have been tackled harder!
We are with you and willing you on to a full recovery and good health.

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1279 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Sat May 18, 2019 9:51 pm

Great to hear that Willie is responding well after this week's operation.

Bop
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 343 times

Post by Bop » Thu May 30, 2019 6:38 pm

Has anyone got any update on Willie’s condition? Hope he’s on the mend. Thank you.
This user liked this post: IanMcL

Claret Till I Die

Post by Claret Till I Die » Thu May 30, 2019 7:47 pm

Hi Bop. Thank you for your thoughts. My dad is now in rehab after successfully getting over his operation 2 weeks ago. He still has a long way to go but he's on the road to recovery.
These 19 users liked this post: ClaretTony fatboy47 Andingle spadesclaret Buxtonclaret Ashingtonclaret46 mkmel Carnsmerry12 longside72 conyoviejo IanMcL Darnhill Claret Tricky Trevor Rodneyyouplonker Bop Leisure Suratclaret Jel jjclaret

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu May 30, 2019 7:56 pm

Brilliant news that he’s recovering.
These 2 users liked this post: k90bfc conyoviejo