Where we've played in sixty years since the title

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Where we've played in sixty years since the title

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 06, 2019 11:32 am

Next season will be sixty years since we were crowned champions.

Now knowing where we will be playing, it means in those years we will have played at the top four levels of English football

Level 1: 20 seasons
Level 2: 22 seasons
Level 3: 11 seasons
Level 4: 7 seasons

Those 18 seasons at levels 3 and 4 were all between 1980 and 2000.
These 3 users liked this post: depechedingle 4:20 THEWELLERNUT70

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Re: Where we've played in sixty years since the title

Post by Steve1956 » Mon May 06, 2019 11:33 am

7 seasons in the fourth division,some very good some very poor..thanks Jimmy though.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Mon May 06, 2019 1:07 pm

Wow

It felt like we'd never get out of the bottom half.

That's put some rather nice perspective on things.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4044 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Mon May 06, 2019 1:47 pm

Support-wise, some of those times (not all) in the lower levels produced some of the best times as a BFC follower I've ever experienced. Certainly after 1987. The atmosphere on the road was incredible. Mainly under Jimmy Mullen, it has to be said. That's all the way through from when I saw my first game in 1962.
No doubt others will see it differently, but that's my ten cents worth. And it just shows how far we've come.

But I'll never forget those times.
These 7 users liked this post: Royboyclaret Bosscat Vegas Claret depechedingle Longside4evr IanMcL randomclaret2

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Mon May 06, 2019 2:04 pm

Having started watching BFC again regularly in 91-92 (after a 20+year lay-off for Motorbikes, Girls and Beer although not necessarily in that order ;)) and having got a season ticket from 93 on.... I feel privileged to have seen some great times... certainly more ups than downs.

Innit Brilliant being a Premier League Burnley Fan
These 3 users liked this post: Rowls depechedingle Im_not_Robbie_Blake

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1099 times

Post by bfcmik » Mon May 06, 2019 2:24 pm

My son was born in 1983. I took him to watch us play, and lose, at Exeter in 1987 (we lived in Cornwall at that time) as I thought he may never get to see BFC play a league game ever again - I feared relegation would see us go bust. He has since been to games at every level but now attends games 3 tiers higher than when he started. His 8 year old son has never seen us play outside the Premier League!

We are now slighter lower down the league than when I attended my 1st game - Maine Rd., Manchester, May 1960 :)
This user liked this post: Bosscat

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 06, 2019 2:31 pm

ElectroClaret wrote:Support-wise, some of those times (not all) in the lower levels produced some of the best times as a BFC follower I've ever experienced.
It had become the norm unfortunately for us but generally we had twenty years of football I thought I would never witness as a Burnley fan. But going through those years, I never envisaged the last twenty years would ever come.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat depechedingle

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Mon May 06, 2019 2:36 pm

ClaretTony wrote:It had become the norm unfortunately for us but generally we had twenty years of football I thought I would never witness as a Burnley fan. But going through those years, I never envisaged the last twenty years would ever come.
Coming back into football fandom in 1991-92 I couldn't in my wildest dreams imagine the rise from 1999 to 2019 from 3rd tier to top tier and European football as well.

Innit Brilliant being a Premier League Burnley Fan
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

depechedingle
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 276 times

Post by depechedingle » Mon May 06, 2019 2:40 pm

as someone who was first taken on the Turf in November 1979, I believed most of my life watching the Clarets was in the lower two divisons.

Thanks Tony, seems 18 out of 40 years have been in the bottom two divisions.

We have come a hell of a way since those dark days in the 1980s and I never for one expected us to make it back to top level football in the days of multi millionaire owners and players. We are truly blesses to have these days at the Turf and European Football we used to joke about the very thought.

Looking forward to celebrating 40 years since my first game and I can guarantee the opposition this time won't be Cambridge United.

Up the Clarets indeed!!!!
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Mon May 06, 2019 2:59 pm

Does anyone think Mullen gets the credit he deserves for setting us on this wonderful journey we are on,I don't think he does.

claret wizard
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by claret wizard » Mon May 06, 2019 3:14 pm

If we could persuade Jimmy to come back to the Turf I’m sure he would receive the greatest of welcomes. In fact we should get as many of the 1994 Wembley winning squad that we can to come back. Even though we came back down quickly that season gave the club, and more importantly the fans the belief that we could be successful.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon May 06, 2019 3:21 pm

ElectroClaret wrote:Support-wise, some of those times (not all) in the lower levels produced some of the best times as a BFC follower I've ever experienced. Certainly after 1987. The atmosphere on the road was incredible. Mainly under Jimmy Mullen, it has to be said. That's all the way through from when I saw my first game in 1962.
No doubt others will see it differently, but that's my ten cents worth. And it just shows how far we've come.

But I'll never forget those times.
Indeed, singing Jingle Bells at Exeter before John Pender duly obliged ;)
This user liked this post: IanMcL

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Mon May 06, 2019 3:22 pm

From seeing us play at the highest level to doldrums of despair when i was putting money in the buckets, the protests all the drubbings we took.
This club as never given me so much satisfaction in all those years even all the moaning still gave you a sense of hope, that's what makes what we are seeing today even more priceless
From Aldershot to Olympiacos.

4:20
Been Liked: 1061 times
Has Liked: 1177 times

Post by 4:20 » Mon May 06, 2019 3:32 pm

I was a young lad in the fourth division days, 10 years old when we went up in 92'. Starting from the bottom and looking up through the league's at the giants of the game put Burnley, for me, into a small perspective. Playing City in 91' and Liverpool a few years later in the cups, these were little tantalising tastes of the big time that I never imagined reaching in my life. I'll never forget going to Ayresome Park for that first game in 94' and being overawed at being in the same league with teams that had giant crowds. Getting to where we are now is a dream come true for someone whose first game was The Orient Game. What a remarkable journey and what a decade we've had.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue May 07, 2019 3:28 pm

Longside4evr wrote:From seeing us play at the highest level to doldrums of despair when i was putting money in the buckets, the protests all the drubbings we took.
This club as never given me so much satisfaction in all those years even all the moaning still gave you a sense of hope, that's what makes what we are seeing today even more priceless
From Aldershot to Olympiacos.
Or even Orient to Olympiacos!

Rained off at Exeter and Rochdale to at sun tan in Piraeus.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Tue May 07, 2019 3:36 pm

claret wizard wrote:If we could persuade Jimmy to come back to the Turf I’m sure he would receive the greatest of welcomes. In fact we should get as many of the 1994 Wembley winning squad that we can to come back. Even though we came back down quickly that season gave the club, and more importantly the fans the belief that we could be successful.
Haven't they tried to get Jimmy back a couple of times and he is not interested.....

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Tue May 07, 2019 3:37 pm

I never thought we would escape the clutches of the lower divisions again, so seeing us up here in the top flight is incredible.
Just thinking back to those times makes it easier to appreciate the progress the club has made.
I often think of friends and relatives who are no longer with us who were clarets, and stuck with the club through thick and thin, but aren't around now to see the success. UTC.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue May 07, 2019 3:41 pm

Jimmy Mullen's Claret and Blue army would resonate! That might give him a lift.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2588 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Tue May 07, 2019 4:01 pm

It'd have blown my 9 year old mind in '86 if I could see where we are now. History means nowt at that age, so I just took it for granted Burnley were a hopeless, small time club and always would be. Northampton Town seemed like Man City are now. Playing a 2nd division team in a cup was ridiculously glamorous.

My lad just assumes Burnley are Premier League and always will be, so I'll not tell him any different.

Fretters
Been Liked: 1034 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by Fretters » Tue May 07, 2019 7:06 pm

I remember being at an event in the James Hargreaves exec suite and Jimmy was there for an award, about 10 years ago I think. He was almost in tears at the reception he got.

Hroogar
Been Liked: 38 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Hroogar » Tue May 07, 2019 7:48 pm

Been fortunate enough to enjoy all those 60 seasons and 12 more before 1960............loved every moment of following the Clarets, I will keep following them and feel privileged to do so.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1898 times
Has Liked: 1965 times

Post by Vino blanco » Tue May 07, 2019 8:02 pm

I was there at Maine Rd, when we won it, and I'm looking now at flights to get back for the kick off of next season.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue May 07, 2019 8:02 pm

When we went down in the mid 70's I was gutted, but absolutely convinced it would be VERY temporary and just like in 71/72 we'd bounce back better and stronger. As the seasons went by however and we struggled and struggled and it became absolutely crystal clear how wrong I was, I became convinced we'd never ever grace the top flight again. I then adjusted my expectations and became "happy" with an away win at Torquay or York or ALMOST making the third division play offs or whatever, because things like that came to represent success and as mentioned above, once you adjust those expectaions we had some brilliant days out supporting Burnley. At the same time I'd watch the First Division/PL on the tele and tbh it might as well have been a different game on a different planet as it was so far removed from us and what we were watching. I KNEW we would never, ever experience it and sadly I accepted it. So all these years after to become an established and integral part of it, actually seems like a fantasy and a dream when I think back to those days and years.
This user liked this post: africlaret