Jeff Hendrick

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
# 1
claretrobo1
Posts: 234
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:11 am
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Jeff Hendrick

Postby claretrobo1 » Mon May 06, 2019 9:42 pm

Some say on Twitter that Jeff Hendrick said last night that he knows he’s not well liked by the fan base. Honestly think it’s really sad that a player feels this way and despite knowing this he gives 100% every game. Friday night actually showed why he’s keeping JBG out the team. Just feel like he deserves to feel appreciated a bit because he’s been a massive part of our rise since Boxing Day and in my opinion no player should feel disliked by a large amount for fans
These 2 users liked this post: THEWELLERNUT70 Siddo

# 2
hampsteadclaret
Posts: 3203
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:25 am
Been Liked: 1079 times
Has Liked: 776 times

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby hampsteadclaret » Mon May 06, 2019 9:47 pm

I saw that also... there are plenty of supportive messages as well.
- as there should be.

# 3
ClaretTony
Posts: 27093
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:07 pm
Been Liked: 12316 times
Has Liked: 2372 times
Location: Burnley
Contact:

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby ClaretTony » Mon May 06, 2019 10:01 pm

Never understood the negativity and criticism towards Hendrick at all
These 11 users liked this post: simonclaret BFCmaj Chester Perry evensteadiereddie Cirrus_Minor Top Claret DomBFC1882 boatshed bill elwaclaret THEWELLERNUT70 Siddo

# 4
bfccrazy
Posts: 4383
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:18 pm
Been Liked: 1784 times
Has Liked: 376 times
Location: Burnley

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby bfccrazy » Mon May 06, 2019 10:04 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Never understood the negativity and criticism towards Hendrick at all


Burnley fans always seem to need a scapegoat player because a lot of them are never happy.

Hendrick (wrongly imo) got the sh|t end of the stick for some reason and people slate him for not being the some superstar when played out of position. At the start of the season in CM he was arguably our best player - then played out of position and gave his all even against the odds - then moved out wide he has put in a proper shift and been a mini revelation.
This user liked this post: basil6345789

# 5
bfccrazy
Posts: 4383
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:18 pm
Been Liked: 1784 times
Has Liked: 376 times
Location: Burnley

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby bfccrazy » Mon May 06, 2019 10:07 pm

Another thing that annoys me a little with Burnley fans regarding Hendrick is that I feel we have cut a lot of players slack for not having the most skill as long as they give 100% on the pitch. Nobody can argue that Hendrick doesn’t give his all for the cause no matter what the situation is regarding his position and the state of the game. Yet some of our fans still slate him.
This user liked this post: depechedingle

# 6
Sarum
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:09 pm
Been Liked: 67 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby Sarum » Mon May 06, 2019 10:11 pm

These 4 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 Hipper Lancasterclaret elwaclaret

# 7
DAVETHEVICAR
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:33 pm
Been Liked: 354 times
Has Liked: 812 times
Location: Lincoln

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby DAVETHEVICAR » Mon May 06, 2019 10:18 pm

Since the start of 2019 he is one of the first names on Sean’s team sheet

# 8
RalphCoatesComb
Posts: 3537
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:38 pm
Been Liked: 1144 times
Has Liked: 1186 times

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby RalphCoatesComb » Mon May 06, 2019 10:18 pm

bfccrazy wrote:Another thing that annoys me a little with Burnley fans regarding Hendrick is that I feel we have cut a lot of players slack for not having the most skill as long as they give 100% on the pitch. Nobody can argue that Hendrick doesn’t give his all for the cause no matter what the situation is regarding his position and the state of the game. Yet some of our fans still slate him.


Like all Clubs, we have some half-wits who want to give grief to some players.

If Jeff Hendrick feels that he is not wanted here, it is sad. Certainly appreciated by me and the fans I sit near.

# 9
claptrappers_union
Posts: 1743
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:40 pm
Been Liked: 508 times
Has Liked: 99 times
Location: The Banana Stand

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby claptrappers_union » Mon May 06, 2019 10:22 pm

He just needs an impressive stat attributing to him. George Boyd was the scapegoat until a stat emerged that he covered the most ground in game than any other player the Premier League.

Then he was great.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

# 10
Jel
Posts: 476
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:54 pm
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 900 times

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby Jel » Mon May 06, 2019 10:23 pm

A bloke that used to stand behind me always gave him abuse because of his Irish religious beliefs. It was embarrassing to hear sometimes.
He's stopped coming to games now because of his hatred of him.
I can't say that he's missed!

# 11
bobinho
Posts: 3928
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:48 pm
Been Liked: 1632 times
Has Liked: 2357 times
Location: Burnley

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby bobinho » Mon May 06, 2019 10:25 pm

It’s an absolute shame cos he’s a great player. Sure the fans are at fault for all the grief he gets off them, but...

It’s hendrick that gets the grief for his poor showing in the No10 role that the management insisted he play in for far, far too long. That experiment was an exercise in stubborn-ness if you ask me. It was obvious to everyone on the planet it wasn’t working, but still we persevered with it. We now have a load of fans who can’t see past it and just slate Jeff for the sake of it.

Hendrick is a decent player, and he’s rightly keeping JBG out of the side at the moment.

Seems some think he’s our new graham branch, another player who was verbally abused by his own “fans” even tho he gave everything he had every time he was asked to put a shift in all over the park.

I had issues with JH when he arrived (the fee mainly) but we are a better side when he plays, and when he’s played in a position he knows. When he isn’t and doesn’t show up in games, that’s someone else’s fault.

# 12
RalphCoatesComb
Posts: 3537
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:38 pm
Been Liked: 1144 times
Has Liked: 1186 times

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby RalphCoatesComb » Mon May 06, 2019 10:27 pm

Jel wrote:A bloke that used to stand behind me always gave him abuse because of his Irish religious beliefs. It was embarrassing to hear sometimes.
He's stopped coming to games now because of his hatred of him.
I can't say that he's missed!


He could do with taking a few more with him! These 'ne'er do wells' do nothing to help the cause!

# 13
Rick_Muller
Posts: 4153
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:53 am
Been Liked: 1779 times
Has Liked: 4420 times
Location: -90.000000, 0.000000

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby Rick_Muller » Mon May 06, 2019 10:28 pm

I like Jeff, cracking player - sometimes makes mistakes and because of where he makes them can be costly to us. Still, he is a fantastic player and always puts in 100%.

I wonder if his brush with the law has clouded peoples opinion of him...?

# 14
Dyched
Posts: 3565
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:34 am
Been Liked: 1129 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby Dyched » Mon May 06, 2019 10:31 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:He just needs an impressive stat attributing to him. George Boyd was the scapegoat until a stat emerged that he covered the most ground in game than any other player the Premier League.

Then he was great.


He has 12 ovaries

# 15
COBBLE
Posts: 655
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:04 am
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby COBBLE » Mon May 06, 2019 10:39 pm

If that is true I feel very sad. I'm not one. If Jeff had been on the right wing for the first half at Everton we might have had something to fight for in the second half.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

# 16
Lancasterclaret
Posts: 14315
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:09 pm
Been Liked: 4704 times
Has Liked: 2636 times
Location: Riding the galactic winds in my X-wing

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby Lancasterclaret » Mon May 06, 2019 10:42 pm

Over the season, he's probably been our best player.

Certainly in the first half he was the only one who was playing well at any rate
This user liked this post: Goodclaret

# 17
deanothedino
Posts: 906
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:34 am
Been Liked: 565 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby deanothedino » Mon May 06, 2019 10:46 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Never understood the negativity and criticism towards Hendrick at all

He wasn't very good as a 10... but it's not his fault he kept getting played there.

Looked good since he's played in a different position

# 18
Vino blanco
Posts: 2197
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:42 pm
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby Vino blanco » Mon May 06, 2019 10:50 pm

Jeff is a good player, who was unfortunately played out of position for months by Dyche. I would like to see a couple of midfielders, however, who could replace him and some of our other current midfielders: don't think it will happen though, so for the moment I'm happy to see Hendrick featuring in midfield.

# 19
Rowls
Posts: 6273
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:00 pm
Been Liked: 2315 times
Has Liked: 2330 times
Location: Montpellier, France

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby Rowls » Mon May 06, 2019 10:58 pm

I like Jeff Hendrick
These 2 users liked this post: ossyrob simonclaret

# 20
IanMcL
Posts: 13536
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:27 pm
Been Liked: 2645 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby IanMcL » Tue May 07, 2019 12:03 am

What a pity if he thinks that. What must the tmrest think, when they all come under fire, from the moaners?

They are all heroes.
This user liked this post: Rowls

# 21
Rowls
Posts: 6273
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:00 pm
Been Liked: 2315 times
Has Liked: 2330 times
Location: Montpellier, France

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby Rowls » Tue May 07, 2019 12:42 am

Only a few seasons ago that players of Hendrick's calibre were well out of our league, in every sense.

We're lucky to have him and as his goals have shown, he isn't short of quality or composure.

# 22
Vegas Claret
Posts: 13220
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:00 am
Been Liked: 4031 times
Has Liked: 1829 times
Location: clue is in the title

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby Vegas Claret » Tue May 07, 2019 1:27 am

he's 27 so now coming into his prime. Hopefully you'll all sing his song at the weekend

# 23
KRBFC
Posts: 9490
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:18 am
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby KRBFC » Tue May 07, 2019 1:46 am

Said at the time, Dyche hung him out to dry by continuing to play him behind the striker. I think he's probably our most complete central midfielder, with the ability he has, he should easily be ahead of Cork, but he has problems finding that ability consistently for us in central midfield. Tall, decent turn of pace, can beat a man, good in the air, shown he can score goals, he just doesn't put it altogether enough, I think he'd shine in a side like Bournemouth/Leicester, who play with the ball on the deck, fast attacking, creative freedom in midfield with a holding player in behind (Ndidi/Lerma). He just doesn't suit a Dyche team, he's a player who needs freedom to play his own game, not stuck in a straight jacket system with the midfield often bypassed.

# 24
Cleveleys_claret
Posts: 1994
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:58 am
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 374 times

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby Cleveleys_claret » Tue May 07, 2019 2:48 am

Luckily fans dont pay his wages, or sit in the dressing room with him after a game. He will know how much Dyche and the coaching team appreciate his efforts. Always gives 100%, dont get the fans that say well he may be a trier but he isnt good enough. We are Burnley, we need players that give 100%, it is what this side is built on and has been since Dyche walked though the door. Jones, Boyd, Arfield, Westwood, Hendrick, Barnes are just a few who have been targetted by fans who deem them not good enough. If a player leaves everything on the pitch I will never boo or knock them. Some players arent as naturally gifted as others its not their fault, and they wouldnt be with us long if they were. Jeff you will do for me!!!!

# 25
Cleveleys_claret
Posts: 1994
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:58 am
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 374 times

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby Cleveleys_claret » Tue May 07, 2019 2:52 am

KRBFC wrote:Said at the time, Dyche hung him out to dry by continuing to play him behind the striker. I think he's probably our most complete central midfielder, with the ability he has, he should easily be ahead of Cork, but he has problems finding that ability consistently for us in central midfield. Tall, decent turn of pace, can beat a man, good in the air, shown he can score goals, he just doesn't put it altogether enough, I think he'd shine in a side like Bournemouth/Leicester, who play with the ball on the deck, fast attacking, creative freedom in midfield with a holding player in behind (Ndidi/Lerma). He just doesn't suit a Dyche team, he's a player who needs freedom to play his own game, not stuck in a straight jacket system with the midfield often bypassed.


Think his appearances for Ireland tell its own story. Each time I have seen him he is played out wide. I think it is no coincedence his best performances have been when played out there for us. Personally think this run of games since xmas has been the best he has performed for us. Not knocking his other performances but like you say he hasnt been played in his best position. If it wasnt a Dyche team we would probably see even more attacking wise from him but for him to do that with us would mean him abandoning his defensive duties too much which would see us suffer more defensively

# 26
evensteadiereddie
Posts: 4407
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:45 pm
Been Liked: 1313 times
Has Liked: 4061 times
Location: Staffordshire

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby evensteadiereddie » Tue May 07, 2019 6:05 am

Dyche, just as he did with Boyd, has asked the lad to play a specific if - to him - unnatural role. Hendrick, like Boyd was in his time here, is absolutely instrumental to our success. As someone said earlier, Hendrick will be one of the first guys that Dyche looks to.

# 27
fatboy47
Posts: 1514
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:58 am
Been Liked: 809 times
Has Liked: 632 times
Location: Isles of Scilly

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby fatboy47 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:30 am

Good player.

Don't give a toss what the standard handful of biffs on Twitter say Tbh.

# 28
Lord Beamish
Posts: 3923
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:00 pm
Been Liked: 2638 times
Has Liked: 1705 times

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby Lord Beamish » Tue May 07, 2019 7:38 am

Social media has allowed a platform to some of the most ill-informed dolts to spout their half-arsed opinion on just about any subject. The standard of critical thinking amongst the general populace has been poor at most times, and the increase in the ability to spout ones wrong-headedness has not really improved this fact.

Empty vessels have always made the most noise. One glance at the Death Penalty thread on here will confirm that.
These 3 users liked this post: fatboy47 Bosscat simonclaret

# 29
Burnleyareback2
Posts: 1201
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:07 pm
Been Liked: 283 times
Has Liked: 612 times
Location: Mostly Europe

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby Burnleyareback2 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:55 am

Frustrating to see him made into the scapegoat by a small vocal minority of fans.

Would love to see him get a chance in the middle again but his versatility has meant he has been used out of his preferred position.

Wherever he is played he has given 100% and tried to adapt. An important player for the club.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

# 30
claretonthecoast1882
Posts: 1454
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:59 pm
Been Liked: 705 times
Has Liked: 22 times

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby claretonthecoast1882 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:58 am

If you ever need to see just how dumb some of our specials are just look at the replies tweeted to the club within seconds of the line up being announced.

You can probably guess as well which of those post on here in the same manner.
These 3 users liked this post: Bosscat simonclaret Lancasterclaret

# 31
AlargeClaret
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:55 pm
Been Liked: 371 times
Has Liked: 29 times

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby AlargeClaret » Tue May 07, 2019 8:34 am

Are the floods of tears in this thread really warranted ?because “ someone on twitter said “ the vast majority of twitter is fantasy based bullsh1t so I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it as I doubt Jeff will . While no superstar he’s not short on graft and I’ve never really heard anything but the odd token groan about him on the turf

# 32
Colburn_Claret
Posts: 3289
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:30 pm
Been Liked: 1313 times
Has Liked: 1801 times
Location: Catterick N.Yorks

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby Colburn_Claret » Tue May 07, 2019 8:41 am

ClaretTony wrote:Never understood the negativity and criticism towards Hendrick at all

It was easy to see why, but not necessarily his fault.
Played out of position as a no 10, he was always going to get it in the neck. Until people read the article from Dyche about recycling the ball, and Jeff's role in that play, it became clear he was never meant to be a conventional no 10.
Since then most people have given Hendrick the slack he fully deserves. I still think his best position is in the middle with the game in front of him but one of the reasons SD likes him so much is his willingness to play any role and work his socks off.
We would struggle to find another capable, or willing to replace him.
Time to give him some love.

# 33
jojomk1
Posts: 811
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:20 am
Been Liked: 154 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby jojomk1 » Tue May 07, 2019 8:44 am

Signed an extended contract this season but only until the end of next season
Big decision for him and the club this summer
Do we / does he want another deal or is he going to run down current contract and leave on a free next summer

# 34
claretspice
Posts: 4087
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:13 am
Been Liked: 1729 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby claretspice » Tue May 07, 2019 9:16 am

One of the first things we need to do this summer is get Hendrick tied down to a new deal. I don't think he did sign a new deal in the summer - as I understand it the club exercised an option to extend by another year.

He's a very good player, who is as close to the athletic, box to box, technically gifted midfielder folk crave as we're ever realistically going to get. There's a bit of chatter on here about it being Dyche's fault he's under appreciated because he was played in a role that didn't suit him last season. Of course, it goes without saying that in the process he was an integral part of the central midfield 3 that drove us to the fringes of the Champions League places before Defour got injured, and still finished in a European position at the end. So it is just possible that Dyche knew what he was doing and Hendrick was doing a very effective job.

Hendrick played that position well, as a team player, and hasn't ever got the credit he deserved for his pretty selfless contribution to us finishing 7th. If he's feeling under-appreciated as a result it's hard to blame him and we just have to hope that it doesn't influence whether he signs a new contract.
These 5 users liked this post: Tall Paul Lancasterclaret boatshed bill ChorltonCharlie simonclaret

# 35
Lancasterclaret
Posts: 14315
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:09 pm
Been Liked: 4704 times
Has Liked: 2636 times
Location: Riding the galactic winds in my X-wing

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby Lancasterclaret » Tue May 07, 2019 9:21 am

claretspice wrote:One of the first things we need to do this summer is get Hendrick tied down to a new deal. I don't think he did sign a new deal in the summer - as I understand it the club exercised an option to extend by another year.

He's a very good player, who is as close to the athletic, box to box, technically gifted midfielder folk crave as we're ever realistically going to get. There's a bit of chatter on here about it being Dyche's fault he's under appreciated because he was played in a role that didn't suit him last season. Of course, it goes without saying that in the process he was an integral part of the central midfield 3 that drove us to the fringes of the Champions League places before Defour got injured, and still finished in a European position at the end. So it is just possible that Dyche knew what he was doing and Hendrick was doing a very effective job.

Hendrick played that position well, as a team player, and hasn't ever got the credit he deserved for his pretty selfless contribution to us finishing 7th. If he's feeling under-appreciated as a result it's hard to blame him and we just have to hope that it doesn't influence whether he signs a new contract.


Its okay though Spice, other clubs transfer policy is run by internet messageboard gossip so the fact he's a good player will pass completely under the radar.

# 36
boatshed bill
Posts: 4597
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:47 am
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby boatshed bill » Tue May 07, 2019 9:22 am

deanothedino wrote:He wasn't very good as a 10... but it's not his fault he kept getting played there.

Looked good since he's played in a different position


Actually there were certain stats that showed that he did a very good job there, but some fans chose to ignore them.

# 37
Hipper
Posts: 2251
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:33 pm
Been Liked: 440 times
Has Liked: 322 times

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby Hipper » Tue May 07, 2019 9:24 am

For all those who think he was 'out of position' or ineffective in the 'number 10 role', read Sarum's link in post 6.

# 38
Longside4evr
Posts: 1981
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:34 am
Been Liked: 408 times
Has Liked: 209 times
Location: Malaga Spain

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby Longside4evr » Tue May 07, 2019 9:36 am

Jeff had his best play for Derby in the championship scored 7 and 9 assists but that's a step down
He also puts a excellent shift in for his country but all played in his natural position
When we were haggling to buy Hendrick and the price got up to where it got I certainly raised my eyebrows.
But if you look at the full picture with in depth purpose you will see a player that has matured into a very good premier league player and is a good as fit as you will see at the club if Jeff isn't playing we struggle that's all you need to know.
This user liked this post: bobinho

# 39
Stevie2112
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:36 pm
Been Liked: 87 times
Has Liked: 387 times
Location: Willowdale

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby Stevie2112 » Tue May 07, 2019 9:42 am

I spoke to him Sunday night,he told me how he ******* hates it here, because he has to play where he doesn’t want to . Make of that what you will.

# 40
fatboy47
Posts: 1514
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:58 am
Been Liked: 809 times
Has Liked: 632 times
Location: Isles of Scilly

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby fatboy47 » Tue May 07, 2019 9:44 am

Stevie2112 wrote:I spoke to him Sunday night,he told me how he ******* hates it here, because he has to play where he doesn’t want to . Make of that what you will.




Bet that's true. :lol:

# 41
Bosscat
Posts: 3264
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:51 am
Been Liked: 1010 times
Has Liked: 2562 times

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby Bosscat » Tue May 07, 2019 9:54 am

Stevie2112 wrote:I spoke to him Sunday night,he told me how he ******* hates it here, because he has to play where he doesn’t want to . Make of that what you will.

Yeah and I was drinking with Sean Dyche and Ian Woan and they think you are a liar

# 42
bobinho
Posts: 3928
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:48 pm
Been Liked: 1632 times
Has Liked: 2357 times
Location: Burnley

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby bobinho » Tue May 07, 2019 10:14 am

boatshed bill wrote:Actually there were certain stats that showed that he did a very good job there, but some fans chose to ignore them.


Yes they did, but that’s only because stats can be manipulated to suit whatever argument you are trying to make. Funny how everyone KNOWS that, yet when they want to “prove their point” they find some to fit.

It’s hard to argue with spices points of where we finished the season, but let’s not forget one thing.... it’s our eyes that tell us what’s happening in a football match.

Anyway, as I stated, I’m a fan of JH, he’s a good midfielder, and extremely effective in a variety of positions. But not the one SD insisted on him playing for so long. Incidentally, why doesn’t he play that role now? Yeah, we know Wood and Barnes are unstoppable, but the changes were made BEFORE they hit it off.

# 43
Steve1956
Posts: 5537
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:57 pm
Been Liked: 1598 times
Has Liked: 873 times
Location: Fife

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby Steve1956 » Tue May 07, 2019 10:22 am

Team player,good attitude, scored important goals,played out of position for the team,always liked Hendrick,we should embrace all our players not just the chosen ones.
Thanks Jeff for everything.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat THEWELLERNUT70

# 44
Il Duce
Posts: 233
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:09 pm
Been Liked: 69 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby Il Duce » Tue May 07, 2019 10:25 am

If Hendrick had played as poorly as Cork has for large parts of the season he would have been crucified. In fact, he wouldn’t because Dyche would not have persisted with Hendrick had he performed that poorly.

# 45
bobinho
Posts: 3928
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:48 pm
Been Liked: 1632 times
Has Liked: 2357 times
Location: Burnley

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby bobinho » Tue May 07, 2019 10:32 am

Don’t be so naive. Of course he persisted with it. You can’t post summat like that in the hope people don’t remember the performances.

We had the same issue with Mee at left back. The absolute refusal to make the change that everyone knew was required until it was forced upon him was the first real indication that SD is difficult to budge from plan A.

# 46
IWOODLOVETT
Posts: 644
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:23 am
Been Liked: 283 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby IWOODLOVETT » Tue May 07, 2019 10:36 am

I don’t think any of the five Irish lads were very happy last season.

# 47
claretspice
Posts: 4087
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:13 am
Been Liked: 1729 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby claretspice » Tue May 07, 2019 10:42 am

bobinho wrote:Yes they did, but that’s only because stats can be manipulated to suit whatever argument you are trying to make. Funny how everyone KNOWS that, yet when they want to “prove their point” they find some to fit.

It’s hard to argue with spices points of where we finished the season, but let’s not forget one thing.... it’s our eyes that tell us what’s happening in a football match.

Anyway, as I stated, I’m a fan of JH, he’s a good midfielder, and extremely effective in a variety of positions. But not the one SD insisted on him playing for so long. Incidentally, why doesn’t he play that role now? Yeah, we know Wood and Barnes are unstoppable, but the changes were made BEFORE they hit it off.


And why are your eyes better than both the eyes of the manager and the fact of where we finished, and the results we obtained? Sean Dyche can see what's going on, he's better at doing so than us because it's his job not his hobby - and he is paid to get results for Burnley, so he's not going to play someone in a position where he'd be ineffective, because that would affect his results. And of course, the only effect on results of Hendrick playing in that role that we can discern was that we had our best season in 40 years.

You are arguing with Sean Dyche, the stats, and our results. You all are. That's what makes it so daft.
These 3 users liked this post: Bosscat simonclaret Greenmile

# 48
Winstonswhite
Posts: 1242
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:04 am
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 83 times

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby Winstonswhite » Tue May 07, 2019 10:49 am

I’ll put my head above the parapet and stick to my guns from a few weeks ago.

He gets pelters because behind Lennon he is the worst player in the squad. Obviously that’s partly not his fault as he’s played out of position. But he’s visibly so short of confidence and the OP backs that up.

# 49
Quickenthetempo
Posts: 7666
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:35 am
Been Liked: 1701 times
Has Liked: 972 times

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby Quickenthetempo » Tue May 07, 2019 11:18 am

Watching Jeff reminds me of what my dad used to say to me when I had a bad game at Schoolboy level.

'Son even at your worst somebody has to mark you'. You still help the team by him having to stand next to you.

I will find another positive before he leaves.

# 50
bobinho
Posts: 3928
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:48 pm
Been Liked: 1632 times
Has Liked: 2357 times
Location: Burnley

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Postby bobinho » Tue May 07, 2019 11:27 am

claretspice wrote:And why are your eyes better than both the eyes of the manager and the fact of where we finished, and the results we obtained? Sean Dyche can see what's going on, he's better at doing so than us because it's his job not his hobby - and he is paid to get results for Burnley, so he's not going to play someone in a position where he'd be ineffective, because that would affect his results. And of course, the only effect on results of Hendrick playing in that role that we can discern was that we had our best season in 40 years.

You are arguing with Sean Dyche, the stats, and our results. You all are. That's what makes it so daft.


So by NOT following up with more of the same, what are SD’s superior eyes telling us now? I know he knows more about football than me, and anyone else on here. But I know what my eyes tell me. They tell me that the team is doing what SD wants, fair enough, but they also tell me that JH has been wasted in that position. So much so that SD had to invent a name for this “new” tactical position. “The recycler”.
I suppose you are right, I am arguing a little with SD. Although i don’t work in professional football, I watch the game regularly and love trying to break it done into parts I can understand. I’m not blind and I’m not (completely) stupid. I can see what’s happening before me. I can see what’s working, with a view to us winning a game and I can see what isn’t.
My point might be better explained in this example: I weld. SD doesn’t. I could show him two pictures of welds - one good, one bad. Having probably never welded before, I’d bet an inch of me dick that SD would know which is which. Im sure you could too.

By your reasoning above, SD has abandoned the style, the plan, the formation and the tactics that gave us our best season in 40 years!!!! That SURELY WOULD be daft, no? Especially changing everything to a system and formation that sees us just escape relegation. (FWIW, I’m delighted we are doing as well as we are, and I would’ve taken 17th at the season start, so please don’t attempt to have me down as a doom mongering SD hater, because I’m most definitely not).


Return to “The Bee Hole End”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CLARET&BLUE, ClaretDiver, dermotdermot, Inchy, Jeremy_Bentham, Lancasterclaret, Shipclaret, Tall Paul, TheFamilyCat and 91 guests