Jeff Hendrick

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Spike
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 1237 times

Re: Jeff Hendrick

Post by Spike » Tue May 07, 2019 11:43 am

There is absolutely nothing on Twitter this is a load of rubbish

Rouwens_Weapon
Been Liked: 101 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Rouwens_Weapon » Tue May 07, 2019 12:03 pm

I can't fault the effort he puts in but at times he has looked desperately short on confidence.

Like a lot of our players, he has magic moments (like his goal v Bournemouth a few years ago and v Chelsea) and also has his mistakes (At Anfield) but he is undoubtedly a talented player, he just needs to believe it.

Possibly a modern day, PL version of Graham Branch :)

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue May 07, 2019 12:09 pm

Spike wrote:There is absolutely nothing on Twitter this is a load of rubbish
Fishing OP m8 .... been successful too

NL Claret
Been Liked: 522 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Tue May 07, 2019 12:13 pm

Again this another episode that sums up the brain dead element of UTC posters / Burnley fans.

As mentioned above it only takes seconds for the team to be announced on Twitter before the predictable ffs Hendrick is tweeted. This was even in the second half of the season when he was playing well. He has been part of the team who have stayed in the PL for 3 seasons, sadly not good enough for some and is probably based on some random dislike or he didn't come on loan in 2010.

The Chelsea home game was a prime example, Hendrick gets subbed, he was one of the better players. The abuse he got from those around me was embarrassing, go on eff off Hendrick you ..........

Five minutes later, Jack Cork who was having a stinker, lost possession and injured himself committing a totally unnecessary foul. He gets subbed off to warm applause.

Certain players get an easy ride, depending on the player they can get a round of applause for kicking the ball out of play, others get abuse. I find it odd.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Tue May 07, 2019 12:17 pm

Can someone please remind me what his best position is please? It's been so long. And if there was a completely clean sheet to build a BFC "fantasy team" with only JH currently on the roster, what would be the shape of the team, and where would Hendrick play (remember, you have no other names yet, just a shape you want to play)

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2071 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue May 07, 2019 12:19 pm

NL Claret wrote:Again this another episode that sums up the brain dead element of UTC posters / Burnley fans.

As mentioned above it only takes seconds for the team to be announced on Twitter before the predictable ffs Hendrick is tweeted. This was even in the second half of the season when he was playing well. He has been part of the team who have stayed in the PL for 3 seasons, sadly not good enough for some and is probably based on some random dislike or he didn't come on loan in 2010.

The Chelsea home game was a prime example, Hendrick gets subbed, he was one of the better players. The abuse he got from those around me was embarrassing, go on eff off Hendrick you ..........

Five minutes later, Jack Cork who was having a stinker, lost possession and injured himself committing a totally unnecessary foul. He gets subbed off to warm applause.

Certain players get an easy ride, depending on the player they can get a round of applause for kicking the ball out of play, others get abuse. I find it odd.
You make your own luck in football.

Cork had scored goals to take us through in the Europa league games against Aberdeen and Istanbul.

Jeff just needs to produce more assists and goals and he will be fine.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Tue May 07, 2019 12:58 pm

bobinho wrote:So by NOT following up with more of the same, what are SD’s superior eyes telling us now? I know he knows more about football than me, and anyone else on here. But I know what my eyes tell me. They tell me that the team is doing what SD wants, fair enough, but they also tell me that JH has been wasted in that position. So much so that SD had to invent a name for this “new” tactical position. “The recycler”.
I suppose you are right, I am arguing a little with SD. Although i don’t work in professional football, I watch the game regularly and love trying to break it done into parts I can understand. I’m not blind and I’m not (completely) stupid. I can see what’s happening before me. I can see what’s working, with a view to us winning a game and I can see what isn’t.
My point might be better explained in this example: I weld. SD doesn’t. I could show him two pictures of welds - one good, one bad. Having probably never welded before, I’d bet an inch of me dick that SD would know which is which. Im sure you could too.

By your reasoning above, SD has abandoned the style, the plan, the formation and the tactics that gave us our best season in 40 years!!!! That SURELY WOULD be daft, no? Especially changing everything to a system and formation that sees us just escape relegation. (FWIW, I’m delighted we are doing as well as we are, and I would’ve taken 17th at the season start, so please don’t attempt to have me down as a doom mongering SD hater, because I’m most definitely not).
Easy one that, though. The system we played last season, with Hendrick in the so-called "recycler" role was designed to get the best out of Defour. It involved Cork and Hendrick providing extra legs to compensate for the fact that wasn't his strong point, and to allow Defour to focus on being the possession fulcrum of the team. Pretty obviously, once Defour got injured it didn't work so well because Westwood was better physically and inferior technically to Defour. So we've changed the set up accordingly. Of course, it's worked best once Hendrick found a slot in the side in the new set up.

As for the welding analogy - if Dyche told you that what you thought was a good weld was bad, you'd probably politely tell him you were the expert.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Tue May 07, 2019 12:58 pm

bobinho wrote:So by NOT following up with more of the same, what are SD’s superior eyes telling us now? I know he knows more about football than me, and anyone else on here. But I know what my eyes tell me. They tell me that the team is doing what SD wants, fair enough, but they also tell me that JH has been wasted in that position. So much so that SD had to invent a name for this “new” tactical position. “The recycler”.
I suppose you are right, I am arguing a little with SD. Although i don’t work in professional football, I watch the game regularly and love trying to break it done into parts I can understand. I’m not blind and I’m not (completely) stupid. I can see what’s happening before me. I can see what’s working, with a view to us winning a game and I can see what isn’t.
My point might be better explained in this example: I weld. SD doesn’t. I could show him two pictures of welds - one good, one bad. Having probably never welded before, I’d bet an inch of me dick that SD would know which is which. Im sure you could too.

By your reasoning above, SD has abandoned the style, the plan, the formation and the tactics that gave us our best season in 40 years!!!! That SURELY WOULD be daft, no? Especially changing everything to a system and formation that sees us just escape relegation. (FWIW, I’m delighted we are doing as well as we are, and I would’ve taken 17th at the season start, so please don’t attempt to have me down as a doom mongering SD hater, because I’m most definitely not).
Easy one that, though. The system we played last season, with Hendrick in the so-called "recycler" role was designed to get the best out of Defour. It involved Cork and Hendrick providing extra legs to compensate for the fact that wasn't his strong point, and to allow Defour to focus on being the possession fulcrum of the team. Pretty obviously, once Defour got injured it didn't work so well because Westwood was better physically and inferior technically to Defour. So we've changed the set up accordingly. Of course, it's worked best once Hendrick found a slot in the side in the new set up.

As for the welding analogy - if Dyche told you that what you thought was a good weld was bad, you'd probably politely tell him you were the expert.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Tue May 07, 2019 1:19 pm

I actually don't think he has been a scapegoat for a very long time, i've seen Wood/Cork/Hart/Brady all take more stick this season than Hendrick has.

claretrobo1
Been Liked: 97 times
Has Liked: 39 times

Post by claretrobo1 » Tue May 07, 2019 1:46 pm

It’s good to see some actual supportive messages about him both on here and across loads of platforms. Deserves every ounce of praise on Sunday I think. He’s unfairly criticised all the time

claretrobo1
Been Liked: 97 times
Has Liked: 39 times

Post by claretrobo1 » Tue May 07, 2019 1:51 pm

Bosscat wrote:Fishing OP m8 .... been successful too
Just forwarding on what has been said on Twitter. Yes, it’s a rumour, but still puts a very important point across no matter what. The bloke is still human and whether Jeff ever admits it at all I think he knows that he’s subject to a lot of criticism from the fans and will know a lot about what the general opinion of him, which over the past couple years hasn’t been good.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Post by deanothedino » Tue May 07, 2019 1:52 pm

boatshed bill wrote:Actually there were certain stats that showed that he did a very good job there, but some fans chose to ignore them.
Not really, even that article in post 6 basically says he wasn't very good as a 10 but he had some good stats. Pass percentage is a bit of a misleading stat anyway... how many passes did he make? 70% of 10 compared to 70% of 100 for instance.

I'll stand by my original post. Not awful as a 10 but equally not good, unnoticable for long periods. Much larger impact when he plays elsewhere and is able to show what he offers.
This user liked this post: bobinho

bobinho
Been Liked: 4096 times
Has Liked: 6573 times

Post by bobinho » Tue May 07, 2019 3:23 pm

Well, whether it’s true or not, on a different but recent JH thread, I posted that he must be made of strong stuff due to the amount of flak he gets, and the fact he always gets on with things in a positive and professional manner.

Deserves better than what he gets imho. Good, solid PL midfielder in the right role.
This user liked this post: RalphCoatesComb

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6363 times
Has Liked: 8707 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue May 07, 2019 3:39 pm

In the Ireland squad. Congrats to him.