Long shot - has anyone used meet & greet at Manchester Airport?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Fretters
Been Liked: 1034 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Long shot - has anyone used meet & greet at Manchester Airport?

Post by Fretters » Thu May 09, 2019 6:44 pm

Going on holiday tomorrow and we're using an external meet and greet service where they'll meet us and take our car (hopefully bringing it back the week after!)

It says in the booking email:

Please note that Manchester airport has introduced tariffs for all drop off zones which require a minimum of £4 deposit on entry and exit. Please ensure the correct change in cash is ready for the driver or he/she will not be able to collect your car and exit the terminal drop off zone

How would you interpret that? Do they need £4 on entry and exit tomorrow, so £8 tomorrow and the same next week? Or £4 tomorrow and £4 next week?

bobinho
Been Liked: 4069 times
Has Liked: 6535 times

Re: Long shot - has anyone used meet & greet at Manchester Airport?

Post by bobinho » Thu May 09, 2019 6:57 pm

Dunno. Confusing to say the least..... and downright obscene. As close to legalised theft as you can get.

Take £16 in change, to be covered.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Thu May 09, 2019 6:58 pm

Fretters wrote:Going on holiday tomorrow and we're using an external meet and greet service where they'll meet us and take our car (hopefully bringing it back the week after!)

It says in the booking email:

Please note that Manchester airport has introduced tariffs for all drop off zones which require a minimum of £4 deposit on entry and exit. Please ensure the correct change in cash is ready for the driver or he/she will not be able to collect your car and exit the terminal drop off zone

How would you interpret that? Do they need £4 on entry and exit tomorrow, so £8 tomorrow and the same next week? Or £4 tomorrow and £4 next week?
Would have been easier to just get a taxi wouldn’t it?

Fretters

Post by Fretters » Thu May 09, 2019 7:00 pm

bfccrazy wrote:Would have been easier to just get a taxi wouldn’t it?
If money was no object, yes.

Fretters

Post by Fretters » Thu May 09, 2019 7:02 pm

bobinho wrote:Dunno. Confusing to say the least..... and downright obscene. As close to legalised theft as you can get.

Take £16 in change, to be covered.
Cheers. I texted the number I need to ring in the morning and they replied just after I'd posted this. It's £4!

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Thu May 09, 2019 7:04 pm

Fretters wrote:If money was no object, yes.
£35 each way for a taxi from Burnley.

You’re paying £8/16 plus the fee for the meet and greet service and also petrol ... which won’t be bank breakingly far away from the £70 in a taxi.

Cheshireclaret
Been Liked: 338 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Cheshireclaret » Thu May 09, 2019 7:17 pm

I’ve used meet and greet at the airport but the one where you park your car and leave your key in an office and when you return, you collect your key and then your car and away you go.

I would never use any other method of getting to and from the airport now, it’s a superb service and it means we’re usually home within an hour of the plane touching down.

Alanstevensonsgloves
Been Liked: 342 times
Has Liked: 399 times

Post by Alanstevensonsgloves » Thu May 09, 2019 7:18 pm

Watch out for their t&C's. I used one at Heathrow, car came back damaged and I don't have a leg to stand one due to t&C's I was handed when I handed keys over. Should have read them yes, but I never thought I would need them.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu May 09, 2019 7:28 pm

We always use Sharston APH at Manchester Airport.
Their busses run every 15 minutes or so and the Car is in a Secure Car Park (less than 10 minutes from the Airport) for the duration of your Holiday/Business trip etc. Collect your bags text the number and you are told which pick up point just outside Arrivals at T1, T2 & T3.... our recent Holiday cost us £35 for 8 days parking.... home within an hour and a half over here in Long Preston........

This thread is a repeat of one recently...
I personally wouldn't use meet and greet due to the bad press I have seen on TV and in the Papers, but many do and if you get a good one you will use them again.

Have a good holiday m8
This user liked this post: Fretters

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Thu May 09, 2019 7:34 pm

Cheshireclaret wrote:I’ve used meet and greet at the airport but the one where you park your car and leave your key in an office and when you return, you collect your key and then your car and away you go.

I would never use any other method of getting to and from the airport now, it’s a superb service and it means we’re usually home within an hour of the plane touching down.
This.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Thu May 09, 2019 7:37 pm

We've used meet and greet at Liverpool Airport for the last 5 years without a hitch, the first year I was a bit apprehensive, made a note of the mileage etc ... but it was fine, 3 miles more from when I dropped the car with the driver ...

Sutton-Claret
Been Liked: 378 times
Has Liked: 164 times

Post by Sutton-Claret » Thu May 09, 2019 7:59 pm

Give them the 4 quid 'deposit' and leave the car in the drop off zone for the duration. You may lose the deposit but at least its only 4 quid.

Fretters

Post by Fretters » Thu May 09, 2019 8:22 pm

bfccrazy wrote:£35 each way for a taxi from Burnley.

You’re paying £8/16 plus the fee for the meet and greet service and also petrol ... which won’t be bank breakingly far away from the £70 in a taxi.
We're paying £50 including the fee and it's a lot easier to transfer our sleeping toddler into her own (fixed) car seat at 4am than into a taxi.

I've used meet and greet a few times and it's fantastic, I just wasn't sure about the new fees. Thanks everyone.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu May 09, 2019 8:29 pm

Clarets4me wrote:We've used meet and greet at Liverpool Airport for the last 5 years without a hitch, the first year I was a bit apprehensive, made a note of the mileage etc ... but it was fine, 3 miles more from when I dropped the car with the driver ...
It's Liverpool, they could roll back the clock in seconds.

Only joking

Bop
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 343 times

Post by Bop » Thu May 09, 2019 8:36 pm

Hope it’s not the Jet2 team from Manchester. Brilliant service but they have a Little Britain character inside that caused chaos with our party.

Sheedyclaret
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by Sheedyclaret » Thu May 09, 2019 8:39 pm

We always use the multistorey mainly T1 its so convenient great service..

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Thu May 09, 2019 8:40 pm

Cheshireclaret wrote:I’ve used meet and greet at the airport but the one where you park your car and leave your key in an office and when you return, you collect your key and then your car and away you go.

I use meet and greet all the time and it's exactly as you say. They park it for you after drop off and position it for you before your return.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Thu May 09, 2019 8:41 pm

bfccrazy wrote:£35 each way for a taxi from Burnley.

I'll have to get the details from you as Padiham Cabs is £45 or more :cry:

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Darthlaw » Thu May 09, 2019 8:55 pm

Also a great way of getting your stereo retuned and your car seat moved to the extent you would believe they only employ Tyrion Lannister or Peter Crouch as drivers.

I spend most of my time commuting to Manchester airport now and just prebook it in the multi-storey. Where you left it, no one has been ******* around with your stereo and literally 1 minute walk, into departures.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Thu May 09, 2019 8:59 pm

JohnMac wrote:I'll have to get the details from you as Padiham Cabs is £45 or more :cry:
I use Max cabs from Accy - few people have said they’re dodgy but I’ve never had a problem with them in about 10/15 return journeys to Manc (£34 each way) or Liverpool (£40 each way).
This user liked this post: JohnMac

Sutton-Claret
Been Liked: 378 times
Has Liked: 164 times

Post by Sutton-Claret » Thu May 09, 2019 9:07 pm

Darthlaw wrote:Also a great way of getting your stereo retuned and your car seat moved to the extent you would believe they only employ Tyrion Lannister or Peter Crouch as drivers.

I spend most of my time commuting to Manchester airport now and just prebook it in the multi-storey. Where you left it, no one has been ******* around with your stereo and literally 1 minute walk, into departures.
Agreed - worth it for a few extra quid, especially with kids.

yorkyclaret
Been Liked: 246 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by yorkyclaret » Thu May 09, 2019 9:28 pm

I just bung my mate 80 quid for the round trip, pick up and drop off at the petrol station so free. Hate to think what the drivers are earning doing it for £34 each way, cost of running the taxi, council checks, licensing, huge taxi insurance cost, parking, run an office, pay office staff to answer phone etc. In rush hour traffic it can take 2 hours each way, they must be 'self employed' earing half minimum wage if they're lucky.

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Thu May 09, 2019 9:36 pm

I assume, given your username, you live fairly close to Ringway. However, in my experience of Manchester airport it takes more than an hour to get through border control.

Mrpotatohead
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by Mrpotatohead » Thu May 09, 2019 10:06 pm

I can only echo this. Well worth the extra money and not parking up in a field before a 10 minute bus ride to/from the airport. I've also returned from holiday a few days early in the past and despite not expecting my arrival, they had my car brought down within 10 minutes of turning up out of the blue.

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1426 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Thu May 09, 2019 10:43 pm

I fly out of Manchester each week for work and always you the terminal multi story’s and prebook. Do it through Quidco and you get about 10% cash back.

Spend longer trying to get into the car park as it never recognised my reg than walking from the car to the terminal.

With the family I always use meet and greet. Much easier.

Manchester airport security is probably the worst in Europe, well worth spending the £5 for priority security and have an extra hour in bed.

Have a great break.