Question Time

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Re: Question Time

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sat May 11, 2019 5:33 pm

Solid effort. However I still prefer when you post as Ringo.

Give the fans what they want.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sat May 11, 2019 5:35 pm

I must stress in case anyone thinks different I was not calling you a muppet. Just trying to be entertaining .

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sat May 11, 2019 5:35 pm

Well that’s disappointing.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sat May 11, 2019 5:46 pm

Forgot to tell you.

I've trained my dog to bring me red wine
It's a Bordeaux collie

Are we friends now?
This user liked this post: Bosscat

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Sat May 11, 2019 6:14 pm

It's a good job for you remoaners that EU elections aren't first past the post or it would be a Brexit Party clean sweep.

Well done everyone !
Attachments
4.PNG
4.PNG (53.2 KiB) Viewed 618 times
Last edited by AndyClaret on Sat May 11, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Sat May 11, 2019 6:22 pm

And Parliament election...
Attachments
4.PNG
4.PNG (14.88 KiB) Viewed 613 times

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sat May 11, 2019 9:36 pm

aggi wrote:Has the performance of the past couple of years convinced you that we'll be able to negotiate some great trade deals?
Sorry for the delay answering this question. No is my answer. But we are going to have to. It would have been great to have a better deal with the EU and a cushion during transition but May’s deal is so bad it needs renegotiating first by a new leader if the spineless Tories decide to find one (“better than we even hoped for” was the EU thought on the deal in that BBC4 programme this week).

The good news is that if it is better than hoped for it must be renegotiable despite what they say.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Sun May 12, 2019 7:13 am

scouseclaret wrote:DSR- Interesting to say the EU “wants a deal that damages the uk”. That should worry you, given that it is by far our biggest trading partner (44% of exports).

But it takes a Brexiteer to put it in those terms. The truth is that the EU does not want to “damage” the UK - it would much prefer to continue to trade with us as part of the the most successful free trade area in economic history. However, the idea that the remaining 27 members would agree to grant us better terms than they themselves enjoy - as Davies, Johnson, Rees-Mogg et al will have you believe - is clearly nonsensical.
This is the crux, isn't it? I think that the UK would be better off outside the EU but trading with it on free trade terms. The EU also thinks that, which is why they won't allow it, because the EU also thinks that many of its member states would also like to be outside the EU but with free trade.

So why not do it? Why not make the EU into a free trade association, like the EEC was? Why all this political union stuff? If the EU members want politiccal union, then let them have it; if they don't then not. But forcing them into political union that don't want it, by blackmailing them with financial impoverishment if they don't conform, is not good.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sun May 12, 2019 9:19 am

dsr wrote:This is the crux, isn't it? I think that the UK would be better off outside the EU but trading with it on free trade terms. The EU also thinks that, which is why they won't allow it, because the EU also thinks that many of its member states would also like to be outside the EU but with free trade.

So why not do it? Why not make the EU into a free trade association, like the EEC was? Why all this political union stuff? If the EU members want politiccal union, then let them have it; if they don't then not. But forcing them into political union that don't want it, by blackmailing them with financial impoverishment if they don't conform, is not good.
Because many years ago, they - including the UK which, despite another Brexiteer myth, has a very big voice in Europe - concluded that there were economies of scale to be exploited by negotiating as a block rather than as individual nations.

The world is now dominated by three trading blocks - USA,China and the EU. Then there’s Japan, then there’s the rest. Those big three will increasingly dictate terms. Claiming to be the 5th/6th biggest economy in the world is an irrelevance, because whether you’re 5th or 15th, you’re still small fry.

To an extent, China can stand up to being pushed around by the US, as can the EU. On our own, we can’t - from their perspective, we just don’t move the dial.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sun May 12, 2019 10:13 am

Sorry dsr, think I slightly misread your reply.

Re “political union”, what is it exactly you object to? The vast majority of domestic policy is still decided in Westminster.