2009 Play Off Reunion Meal

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1938 times

Re: 2009 Play Off Reunion Meal

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sun May 12, 2019 1:00 am

ClaretTony wrote:I do know that we had to borrow to sign Austin half way through the season after relegation.
Not doubting it but how much do you think we’ve have had to borrow without the money Coyle gained us?
Last edited by Bordeauxclaret on Sun May 12, 2019 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sun May 12, 2019 1:01 am

I’d be genuinely interested to hear what Coyle had to say and what his feelings are on how things have panned out for him personally and for Burnley Football Club.

I like to think that never a day goes by when he doesn’t rue the day he left Burnley, and that maybe he looks at what Dyche has built in the years since and wonders if it could have been him, if only he’d shown a bit more patience. I remain convinced to this day that we’d have stayed up comfortably if he hadn’t left, and who knows what would’ve happened after that. As it is, his career since has been a catalogue of disaster for him personally and for most of the clubs who invited him into their lives.

However, I suspect the truth is he made enough money out of most of those moves to not really give a toss, and for us, maybe we had a lucky escape!

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun May 12, 2019 1:17 am

Bordeauxclaret wrote:Not doubting it but how much do you think we’ve have had to borrow without the money Coyle gained us?
That money was gone very quickly and I’ll accept that we did have parachute money to follow. But in no way at all will I ever accept or believe that what we are achieving today is partly because of that 2009 promotion.

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Sun May 12, 2019 1:34 am

Had we not gone up that season and with Flood’s business empire failing I am convinced that the furure of the club would have been LeagueOne/Two.
We had a transfer embargo placed on us from January that year.
In my opinion that first promotion was indeed the catalyst for where we are today.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Sun May 12, 2019 1:36 am

ClaretTony wrote:That money was gone very quickly and I’ll accept that we did have parachute money to follow. But in no way at all will I ever accept or believe that what we are achieving today is partly because of that 2009 promotion.
If nothing else, that season united the town to again be properly proud of our club.

The cup run and Capital punishment where our little mill town was beating the big boys (That night at Stamford Bridge is one I will never forget).

The way we’d win matches - the way the Bristol game felt like a formality as did Wembley for myself and to many people I have spoken to since. I attended those games with a weird feeling that we’d just win.

The money might have gone but that season made Burnley believe again - it gave the whole town a taste of what we can achieve and boy did we get a taste for it ... the next time the chance came around the whole town again pulled together and you’d see Burnley shirts and jackets everywhere in town. The mass exodus to Wembley for the final and Burnley being left a ghost town not only provided a seat at the top table, I’d argue it also provided a sense of pride which before Coyle arrived here was dwindling and we had become accustomed to mid table mediocrity in a half full stadium just happy we hadn’t gbeen relegated to League 1.

The man can be seen as a legend or a bell end - he left in a $hittt way, he took our staff, nabbed our players and made the job for us to stay up VERY DIFFICULT ... but one thing he did provide in his time as our manager was some excitement which had been missing from our club and our town for a long time. Excitement that can’t be calculated by some accountants or in the turnover columns of the books..... but by the memories he was at the helm of providing.... the goals, the away days, the pride, the belief, the wins and even the losses. Even the camaraderie between the players and the fans who became one again laid the foundation for the type of team and club we could have here.

For me, what he did whilst here - was provide me with memories that will always trump any ill feeling I could still hold towards him for how he left.
These 6 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Belfast_Claret wilks_bfc Claretmatt4 Vintage Claret Andingle

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun May 12, 2019 1:41 am

ClaretTony wrote:Have you still not worked it out, it's not that he left. It's the way he left and all the lies and deceit.
Yeah. Of course. I felt the same at the time. But its ten years ago. We are better off in so many ways. Ots not even worth worrying about now. Better to be thankful for the incredible 18 months of memories. And thankful he played a part in us being here today. Gave us the belief to do it again. Not to mention the exposure and money.
These 2 users liked this post: paulatky wilks_bfc

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun May 12, 2019 1:43 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:Exactly. So when folk say things like.... it was my favourite Burnley team, played exceptional/ fantastic football (we scored just 12 more goals than we conceded and we scraped into the play offs on the last day of the season), did they not see Dyche's first promotion season?

There's not a Burnley fan alive that will not look on that season fondly, with it being it up there with the best.

But is wasn't all strawberries and ice cream football wise.

And you just can't get away from the man being an absolute bullsh***er.
But it can be peoples favourite team. For so many reasons. The attacking football. The entertainment. The sheer unexpectedness of it all. The first time we went up.

My favourite season ever is 1992. Again for many reasons. We werent a fraction as good as our team is now. But thats not the point.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun May 12, 2019 1:47 am

ClaretTony wrote:No I can’t see. I can’t see how it would have been worse. This is no pointing the finger at Coyle or anyone but I find it staggering to believe what we are achieving now is in any way partly due to that 2009 promotion.
So was tehe orient season purely down to that season, or in any way down to the 4 years leading up to it?

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun May 12, 2019 1:52 am

bfccrazy wrote:If nothing else, that season united the town to again be properly proud of our club.

The cup run and Capital punishment where our little mill town was beating the big boys (That night at Stamford Bridge is one I will never forget).

The way we’d win matches - the way the Bristol game felt like a formality as did Wembley for myself and to many people I have spoken to since. I attended those games with a weird feeling that we’d just win.

The money might have gone but that season made Burnley believe again - it gave the whole town a taste of what we can achieve and boy did we get a taste for it ... the next time the chance came around the whole town again pulled together and you’d see Burnley shirts and jackets everywhere in town. The mass exodus to Wembley for the final and Burnley being left a ghost town not only provided a seat at the top table, I’d argue it also provided a sense of pride which before Coyle arrived here was dwindling and we had become accustomed to mid table mediocrity in a half full stadium just happy we hadn’t gbeen relegated to League 1.

The man can be seen as a legend or a bell end - he left in a $hittt way, he took our staff, nabbed our players and made the job for us to stay up VERY DIFFICULT ... but one thing he did provide in his time as our manager was some excitement which had been missing from our club and our town for a long time. Excitement that can’t be calculated by some accountants or in the turnover columns of the books..... but by the memories he was at the helm of providing.... the goals, the away days, the pride, the belief, the wins and even the losses. Even the camaraderie between the players and the fans who became one again laid the foundation for the type of team and club we could have here.

For me, what he did whilst here - was provide me with memories that will always trump any ill feeling I could still hold towards him for how he left.
Absolutely spot on. And the formality thing i agree with entirely. Just posted similar about the day we beat bristol city to get into the play offs.

The whole town spontaneously just filled and filled and started singing burnley songs. One of the most surreal feelings ever and doubt that would ever happen again. Weve finished in 7th and played in europe and it didnt.

Pre social media amd video phones being popular. So very little footage of it.

https://youtu.be/DcGs5RHhyCo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: Goobs

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun May 12, 2019 7:02 am

ClaretTony wrote:That money was gone very quickly and I’ll accept that we did have parachute money to follow. But in no way at all will I ever accept or believe that what we are achieving today is partly because of that 2009 promotion.
Of course you won't ever accept it, you will claim black is white to stick the boot into Howe/Coyle/Jensen and whoever else you've taken a dislike too.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun May 12, 2019 7:21 am

bfccrazy wrote:If nothing else, that season united the town to again be properly proud of our club.

I like it, pretty good way to look at it. We went from the drab games under Cotterill with 9000 fans on to suddenly taking 7000 fans to Spurs on a Wednesday night, more media coverage than ever before, a dream of reaching the Premier League for the first time, the whole town became proud of their team again and the atmosphere under Coyle was very good. The momentum we built was magical, almost like we were destined for the PL before we'd even made the playoffs. The Owen Coyle masks, the ''dare to dream'' stuff and what was the cheesey cup line we used? on paper we weren't the greatest side because we didn't have the finances but some of the football we played was the best i've seen from any 2nd division side, I remember the spanking of a very good Forest side at home.
This user liked this post: Rumbletonk

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Sun May 12, 2019 7:56 am

On the finance side and this is not a criticism of the Board but I think quite a tranche of the Premier league money went to those who had loaned money to the club and had that repayment been delayed then we may have been able to put out a better team in 2009-10 and stayed up. On the other hand despite delaying repayment had we not survived those loans may never have been repaid.

beddie
Been Liked: 1380 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Sun May 12, 2019 8:13 am

No idea they were having a reunion. Was it open to supporters or just the players and Manager at that time. Anyone know the full list of players that attended or was it just the few shown on the photograph by the BFC Twitter post.

Rodleydave
Been Liked: 263 times
Has Liked: 101 times

Post by Rodleydave » Sun May 12, 2019 8:15 am

As part of the continuum of the club's history he was a key manager. But there in black and white in various books, you can't forget the things he said.
It was truly a memorable season, quite fabulous after the Cotterill period. Suddenly a bright light was switched on.
So there is huge gratitude to the man.
But the expressions of loyalty to the club, and the events of his departure are all in 'Entertainment, Heroes and Villains, and they make sorry reading.
Are we in our present position thanks to him?
You could argue that where we are now owes just as much the Stan T's promotion. He got us out of the mire and kept us in the Championship against all the odds.
But for which one do we feel affection?
This user liked this post: simonclaret

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1090 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Sun May 12, 2019 8:24 am

I will always be grateful for that wonderful season and that super day at Wembley. But also I will forever detest the bloke for his dishonesty and the way he left. I was sat right in front of him when he uttered those lies about being at Burnley as long as Barry Kilby wanted him. The king is dead, long live the King!! UTC.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Sun May 12, 2019 8:40 am

Given where we are now, surely we can afford to be magnanimous.
This user liked this post: paulatky

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun May 12, 2019 8:41 am

Rodleydave wrote:As part of the continuum of the club's history he was a key manager. But there in black and white in various books, you can't forget the things he said.
It was truly a memorable season, quite fabulous after the Cotterill period. Suddenly a bright light was switched on.
So there is huge gratitude to the man.
But the expressions of loyalty to the club, and the events of his departure are all in 'Entertainment, Heroes and Villains, and they make sorry reading.
Are we in our present position thanks to him?
You could argue that where we are now owes just as much the Stan T's promotion. He got us out of the mire and kept us in the Championship against all the odds.
But for which one do we feel affection?
We are there thanks to both. And Mullen! As well of course as Dyche.

Rodleydave
Been Liked: 263 times
Has Liked: 101 times

Post by Rodleydave » Sun May 12, 2019 8:42 am

When I went to talk to him for the Entertainment and Villains book, I did mention to him all the things he had said including that one Rammy.
'I'm here for as long as the club want me.'
Without pause he replied 'But Dave when I said them I meant them.'
What a wonderful answer... a politicians answer...
I'm still trying to think of a suitable reply.
If memory serves the money from that promotion was soon gone... commercial loan repayments, repayments to directors and didn't Floods administrators reclaim 5million or thereabouts.
One player I talked to for the book simply described him as the biggest bullsh=tter he had ever met,
But it worked he said and made us feel ten feet tall every day.

scouseclaret

Post by scouseclaret » Sun May 12, 2019 8:49 am

Surely without that promotion there’s a good chance we would have ended up in administration the following season, or at least seen a much greater fire sale of talent to stave that off. Brendan Flood was pretty candid about the state of the club at that time in his book. Relegation in one of the following seasons would ld have been a near certainty.
This user liked this post: chipbutty

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun May 12, 2019 8:52 am

scouseclaret wrote:Surely without that promotion there’s a good chance we would have ended up in administration the following season, or at least seen a much greater fire sale of talent to stave that off. Brendan Flood was pretty candid about the state of the club at that time in his book. Relegation in one of the following seasons would ld have been a near certainty.
We weren't close to going into administration although we would have still been hit with the problems of paying off that large sum brought about by Flood's business going belly up.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun May 12, 2019 8:54 am

paulatky wrote:Had we not gone up that season and with Flood’s business empire failing I am convinced that the furure of the club would have been LeagueOne/Two.
We had a transfer embargo placed on us from January that year.
In my opinion that first promotion was indeed the catalyst for where we are today.
It’s not even in doubt that the first promotion was the catalyst for now. Not sure how anyone can argue against that tbh. Given that football is all about money the promotion gave us more than we would have had. Also, could we have got Dyche to the club if he hadn’t seen the potential of a club that had already reached the prem before...all the bitterness on here is small minded beyond belief from people that thought Brian Laws was a good appointment....

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun May 12, 2019 8:56 am

ClaretTony wrote:We weren't close to going into administration although we would have still been hit with the problems of paying off that large sum brought about by Flood's business going belly up.
We didnt even own our own stadium or training ground when Coyle took us up.

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Sun May 12, 2019 8:57 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:Shouldn't really be arguing about him.

F***ing goosebumps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEASYyQq1dg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I still get nervous that McCann is going to fluff it wide!

paulatky

Post by paulatky » Sun May 12, 2019 9:01 am

How would the club have paid off those loans and balance of Eagles/etc transfer fees.
Without that promotion the future would have been very bleak.

Tony its time to put your hatred of the way he left behind you. Its ten years on now and its time to see that period for what it was - a great time and a vital step to where we are today.

Time to let begones be begones. - Might well make you feel better.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets chipbutty

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun May 12, 2019 9:01 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:We didnt even own our own stadium or training ground when Coyle took us up.
We didn't - bought back by supporters via bonds a few years later.

Papabendi
Been Liked: 346 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Sun May 12, 2019 9:02 am

No time for Coyle.. But strangely pleased by the reaction to him.

I do wonder what the reaction would be (or if we'd even be doing it) if our current situation was quite different though.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun May 12, 2019 9:04 am

paulatky wrote:Tony its time to put your hatred of the way he left behind you. Its ten years on now and its time to see that period for what it was - a great time and a vital step to where we are today.

Time to let begones be begones. - Might well make you feel better.
It's not hatred but I wouldn't want anything to do with him at all and there are people in very high places within our club who have exactly the same opinion. I'm told he was close to being sued a couple of years ago for comments he made on Sky which were nothing short of downright lies.

Sorry, but I can't and won't have anything to do with the lying, scheming Coyle and I still find it ridiculous that people are giving him any credit for where we are now.

scouseclaret

Post by scouseclaret » Sun May 12, 2019 9:06 am

KRBFC wrote:I like it, pretty good way to look at it. We went from the drab games under Cotterill with 9000 fans on to suddenly taking 7000 fans to Spurs on a Wednesday night, more media coverage than ever before, a dream of reaching the Premier League for the first time, the whole town became proud of their team again and the atmosphere under Coyle was very good. The momentum we built was magical, almost like we were destined for the PL before we'd even made the playoffs. The Owen Coyle masks, the ''dare to dream'' stuff and what was the cheesey cup line we used? on paper we weren't the greatest side because we didn't have the finances but some of the football we played was the best i've seen from any 2nd division side, I remember the spanking of a very good Forest side at home.
I think that season was probably the most exciting. It seemed like every game we played from about March onwards was “must win” - I was a nervous wreck by the next of it.

I wouldn’t agree about it being the best football I’ve ever seen us play though - that was played by the Championship side under Dyche. They’d have wiped the floor with Coyle’s side.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun May 12, 2019 9:08 am

The point was that without that promotion we would have been in big trouble and potentially gone into administration. I seem to remember we would have made a loss of about £10m. Given the financial position of Flood and his company going bust then i’m not aware of anyone on the board at that time who could have bailed us out.

Of course we were not close to administration because none of that happened due to the promotion.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun May 12, 2019 9:09 am

scouseclaret wrote:I think that season was probably the most exciting. It seemed like every game we played from about March onwards was “must win” - I was a nervous wreck by the next of it.

I wouldn’t agree about it being the best football I’ve ever seen us play though - that was played by the Championship side under Dyche. They’d have wiped the floor with Coyle’s side.
One huge difference between the two seasons is that in the first we were fighting to get into the play offs and by the end of Feb, after the Sheffield Wednesday defeat, it wasn't looking likely. Then we hit that sensational form when suddenly we started keeping clean sheets at home.

The first Dyche promotion was completely different in that we were chasing a top two place virtually all season after that incredible start. But second place looked almost assured with a good number of games to go. Exciting football in the first of them but some superb football in the second with stand out performances such as Derby (a), Forest (h) and Wigan (h) right up there.
This user liked this post: 4:20

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sun May 12, 2019 9:13 am

TVC15 wrote:The point was that without that promotion we would have been in big trouble and potentially gone into administration. I seem to remember we would have made a loss of about £10m. Given the financial position of Flood and his company going bust then i’m not aware of anyone on the board at that time who could have bailed us out.

Of course we were not close to administration because none of that happened due to the promotion.
Yes, we'd have been in a real financial mess without Coyle's huge achievement to the extent that I very much doubt we'd be where we are today without him.

paulatky

Post by paulatky » Sun May 12, 2019 9:15 am

ClaretTony wrote:It's not hatred but I wouldn't want anything to do with him at all and there are people in very high places within our club who have exactly the same opinion. I'm told he was close to being sued a couple of years ago for comments he made on Sky which were nothing short of downright lies.

Sorry, but I can't and won't have anything to do with the lying, scheming Coyle and I still find it ridiculous that people are giving him any credit for where we are now.
I felt exactly the same for many years but time is a great healer. We have gone on to far better things since his betrayal and his career has gone downhill.
This user liked this post: Leisure

4:20
Been Liked: 1061 times
Has Liked: 1177 times

Post by 4:20 » Sun May 12, 2019 9:15 am

ClaretTony wrote:One huge difference between the two seasons is that in the first we were fighting to get into the play offs and by the end of Feb, after the Sheffield Wednesday defeat, it wasn't looking likely. Then we hit that sensational form when suddenly we started keeping clean sheets at home.

The first Dyche promotion was completely different in that we were chasing a top two place virtually all season after that incredible start. But second place looked almost assured with a good number of games to go. Exciting football in the first of them but some superb football in the second with stand out performances such as Derby (a), Forest (h) and Wigan (h) right up there.
That 1st half against Forest is the best half of football I've ever seen a Burnley team play in. I was in awe for 45 minutes, football from the heavens was that.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun May 12, 2019 9:20 am

ClaretTony wrote:It's not hatred but I wouldn't want anything to do with him at all and there are people in very high places within our club who have exactly the same opinion. I'm told he was close to being sued a couple of years ago for comments he made on Sky which were nothing short of downright lies.

I cannot stand Coyle either - even 10 years later. But to say that it’s ridiculous to give him any credit for where we are today just shows a lack of understanding as to the club’s finances at the time and how long it would have taken to recover from the position we would have been in without that promotion.
We could have easily lost points from going into administration or faced a transfer embargo etc. It’s hard to see how it would not have impacted on the club and it’s future. We would never have got players like Marney and Mears...we’d have been forced to sell Eagles, Pato and others to repay debt etc.
Plus as much as I dislike Coyle I don’t know any burnley fans who don’t talk about that promotion season as one of their favourite ever years supporting the club - and for that he does deserve some credit....but I still don’t like him !
These 3 users liked this post: paulatky Hibsclaret cricketfieldclarets

scouseclaret

Post by scouseclaret » Sun May 12, 2019 9:30 am

ClaretTony wrote:One huge difference between the two seasons is that in the first we were fighting to get into the play offs and by the end of Feb, after the Sheffield Wednesday defeat, it wasn't looking likely. Then we hit that sensational form when suddenly we started keeping clean sheets at home.

I actually meant the second promotion under Dyche when we won the league. In terms of the quality of the football, that for me was the high water mark. And who can ever forget the 23 undefeated...

MRG
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 154 times

Post by MRG » Sun May 12, 2019 9:40 am

Bop wrote:I got married in the early 90’s to a young lady I loved passionately. The way she treated me and left me, left me with a real bitter dislike. Sure, we had some really good times - but I’ll never forgive her. I’ve moved on and happily remarried. I wouldn’t want to be in her company again in case I said something nasty to her.
But do you and your new Mrs still live in the house that you could only afford due to your ex Mrs?

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sun May 12, 2019 9:42 am

ClaretTony wrote:Have you still not worked it out, it's not that he left. It's the way he left and all the lies and deceit.
****’s sake, man. Get a grip.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12358 times

Post by Leisure » Sun May 12, 2019 9:44 am

ClaretTony wrote:We weren't close to going into administration although we would have still been hit with the problems of paying off that large sum brought about by Flood's business going belly up.
Well according to Mr Flood last night our finances were dire and, whilst maybe not needing to go into administration, we would have had to make severe cuts to our spending.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Sun May 12, 2019 9:48 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:Exactly. So when folk say things like.... it was my favourite Burnley team, played exceptional/ fantastic football (we scored just 12 more goals than we conceded and we scraped into the play offs on the last day of the season), did they not see Dyche's first promotion season?

There's not a Burnley fan alive that will not look on that season fondly, with it being it up there with the best.

But is wasn't all strawberries and ice cream football wise.

And you just can't get away from the man being an absolute bullsh***er.
I think the difference between this and the first Dyche promotion season is that many of us were convinced we’d never ever see Burnley at the top level again. So the pure excitement and enjoyment of the Coyle promotion, for me, will never be equalled. It was so completely unbelievable and unexpected that the feeling could never be repeated in my opinion.

I’ve decided to get over Coyle. I’ve got such fantastic memories of that 12 months starting with the night at Stamford Bridge, but they were always clouded by what happened after. Life’s too short, I’ve decided just to remember those good times and if I met Owen Coyle I’d shake his hand and tell him what a great time that was.
These 3 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Hibsclaret paulatky

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun May 12, 2019 9:54 am

martin_p wrote:I think the difference between this and the first Dyche promotion season is that many of us were convinced we’d never ever see Burnley at the top level again. So the pure excitement and enjoyment of the Coyle promotion, for me, will never be equalled. It was so completely unbelievable and unexpected that the feeling could never be repeated in my opinion.

I’ve decided to get over Coyle. I’ve got such fantastic memories of that 12 months starting with the night at Stamford Bridge, but they were always clouded by what happened after. Life’s too short, I’ve decided just to remember those good times and if I met Owen Coyle I’d shake his hand and tell him what a great time that was.
Assuming you are allowed to act like an adult...couldn’t agree more

COBBLE
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 466 times

Post by COBBLE » Sun May 12, 2019 9:59 am

I would shake his hand as I would anyone I disagree with. Its normal decent human behaviour. Wembley was the best experience ever, although Blake v Spurs was almost as good. I don't spend each day wasting time hating anyone, especially someone for what they did ten years ago, although if we were in League 2 or below I might have a problem.

The fact is the man seriously disrespected this club, you, and this community by lying. Secondly by taking all the staff, and probably Wilshire and the American defender, he all but condemned the club to relegation. How do you exclude that from normal rational thinking as you shake his hand? Oh its good old, unselfish, honest Owen, who wouldn't hurt our club and town?

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5000 times
Has Liked: 6715 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun May 12, 2019 10:04 am

Not sure who I despise more Coyle or Bond.
Coyle was lucky, very lucky, he inherited a decent squad that were shackled and any new manager would have released the talent we had, he lied he was found out and look at his track record of failure since he shafted us.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12358 times

Post by Leisure » Sun May 12, 2019 10:08 am

beddie wrote:No idea they were having a reunion. Was it open to supporters or just the players and Manager at that time. Anyone know the full list of players that attended or was it just the few shown on the photograph by the BFC Twitter post.
The evening was open to anyone who could stump up £35. The money raised was being split between The Barry Kilkby Prostrate Cancer Appeal and another charity which I can't recall.

The players in attendance were:

Jensen
Jordan
Kalvanes (who came all the way from Norway)
Caldwell (who came over from Canada)
Carlisle
Thompson
Elliott
Steve Jones

There were video messages from:
Alexander
Eagles
Rodriguez
Paterson
Duff
McCann

Hope that I haven't mised anyone out.

Just for information the next PSA testing day is being held at the Turf on Saturday 1st June from 10am to 1pm. Open to anyone over 45, with donations on the day. If you haven't been tested recently get down there!

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun May 12, 2019 10:11 am

Maybe 10 years is the time to forgive and forget what Coyle did,we are all human we all make mistakes,I'm sure he's regretted it ever since..ok Coyle I forgive you and thanks.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun May 12, 2019 10:12 am

One thing’s for sure; Coyle certainly still gets us all talking about him.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun May 12, 2019 10:13 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Which ones Coyle?
The better looking one

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Sun May 12, 2019 10:13 am

MACCA wrote:The legend...

With Owen Coyle
Hey Macca your much uglier than I imagined :D

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Sun May 12, 2019 10:17 am

I hated Coyle with a passion at the time he left, and on one occasion told him so face to face.
But to say that that promotion hasn't in some way helped us get to where we are now is just laughable
These 3 users liked this post: paulatky Hibsclaret cricketfieldclarets

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun May 12, 2019 10:17 am

Steve1956 wrote:Hey Macca your much uglier than I imagined :D
I'll take it.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Sun May 12, 2019 10:17 am