Brighton sack Hughton

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3153 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Re: Brighton sack Hughton

Post by Chester Perry » Wed May 15, 2019 6:36 pm

Kick it out apologise to Brighton

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48286337" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SparkyClaret
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by SparkyClaret » Thu May 16, 2019 12:46 am

Can't believe their second choice is Frank Lampard.....

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Thu May 16, 2019 1:03 am

Hughton very strongly linked to West Brom

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... n-failure/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Re: Brighton sack Houghton

Post by Long Time Lurker » Thu May 16, 2019 1:53 am

ClaretTony wrote:The appointment was announced last year but he only started at Brighton in Feb. He was due to serve six months notice with the FA but that was reduced to four months.

Very interesting opening comments too from Ashworth at this link.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47294885" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh my!

"My job is to try and keep the first-team manager in a job for as long as possible," Ashworth told BBC Sport.

12 weeks later Hughton is handed his cards and sent packing.

I wonder if Ashworth considers the departure of Hughton as a failure to do his job from the outset?

On the basis of that failed statement of intent I wouldn't trust him as far as my niece could throw him.

We do seem to be seeing something of a consistent pattern developing. A Technical Director arrives at a club claiming that it is their job to support the manager. Effusing the same protestations of "in it together loyalty" and a harmonious working relationship. Almost as if they are reading from a shared script.

Fast forward a few weeks and we have the baffling departure of a good manager.

It wasn't that long ago when Luke Dowling, West Broms newly appointed Technical Director, waved good bye to Darren Moore with an equally perplexing "knife in the back" manoeuvre.

At this rate patsy Head Coaches are going to be in big demand.

Appointing Coyle would make our life a lot easier next season. However, I think they need a brighter spark to light a path to the future. Fingers crossed they employ Mark Hughes, if anyone can nail the coffin lid shut on a club he can.

Interesting to see that Hughton is being linked with WBA. On the back of what happened to Moore and himself it would seem like a strange place for him to go.

Thinking about what might have happened had we not turned our season around sends a cold chill up my spine. Come into my office said the spider to the fly, remember that little talk we had about divorce before marriage, he said with a glint in his eye.

Even more disturbing is the post by Chester Perry that alluded to their decision to ignore their scouts in favour of the input from the data analysts and their algorithms. I've noticed that we have invested in scouting packages and seen the advert for a data analyst. However, to my knowledge we haven't made any moves to bring in any new scouts to try and fill the big shoes of those we unexpectedly and sadly lost in recent times.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4185 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu May 16, 2019 8:34 am

Chester Perry wrote:Kick it out apologise to Brighton

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48286337" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Troy Townsend will try and accuse kick it out of being racist he is that much of a knob.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32400 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu May 16, 2019 8:39 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Troy Townsend will try and accuse kick it out of being racist he is that much of a knob.
Townsend is an embarrassment to Kick it Out and I'm amazed they still tolerate him. Shocking state of affairs when an organisation like that have to make that sort of apology for their loose cannon.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32400 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu May 16, 2019 8:42 am

Long Time Lurker wrote:Even more disturbing is the post by Chester Perry that alluded to their decision to ignore their scouts in favour of the input from the data analysts and their algorithms. I've noticed that we have invested in scouting packages and seen the advert for a data analyst. However, to my knowledge we haven't made any moves to bring in any new scouts to try and fill the big shoes of those we unexpectedly and sadly lost in recent times.
Data analysis is a key factor in player recruitment but forms only part of it. Those scouts we have lost recently, did you know they were Burnley scouts? The answer is probably no, I don't think any of us did, so we wouldn't likely know whether we've replaced them. For example, I'd no idea Kevin Randall (Dyche's old Chesterfield coach) was scouting for us, and I didn't know Steve Stone was either until he became under-23 coach.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Thu May 16, 2019 10:50 am

Arsenal are going through the Analysis/scouting dilemma at the moment

https://offthepitch.com/a/so-are-arsenal-crisis-or-not" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The thing is - as always - to find the balance - Sevillia's case is (I expect) extreme for Scouting - that is a lot of management and analysis of reports

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Thu May 16, 2019 6:40 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Data analysis is a key factor in player recruitment but forms only part of it. Those scouts we have lost recently, did you know they were Burnley scouts? The answer is probably no, I don't think any of us did, so we wouldn't likely know whether we've replaced them. For example, I'd no idea Kevin Randall (Dyche's old Chesterfield coach) was scouting for us, and I didn't know Steve Stone was either until he became under-23 coach.
In respect to our scouts that is a fair point and well made.

However, I would say that the importance and value of data analysis in terms of recruitment is somewhat up in the air at the moment. Obviously, with a world of players out there some form of "sifting" element is required. It isn't realistic to send out scouts to every corner of the globe from a logisitical and financial point of view.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, a lot of people have allowed themselves to be dazzled by their shiny new statistical toys and dispensed with common sense. Even if we limit ourselves to using data to sift through any potential candidates the value of that approach can work against us as well as for us.

When we use data to form short lists it can highlight good players, but it can also exclude good players. When you have people who actually understand the nature of statisics and a talent for interpreting data it will be the former, providing that your formulae are accurate.

Conversely, and this is far more likely because subjectively developed formulae have a much greater potential for being wrong, it will be the latter.

Give an artist a paint brush and they will create something beautiful, but tie a paintbrush to a dogs tail and you will get a messy house and a big clean up bill.

I think it is safe to say that we are all in a Data Arms Race at the moment and everbody is falling over themselves to get ahead. Data analysis is the exciting new kid on the block, promising a "click a button" route to success, but things are never that simple as many clubs are finding out to their cost.

The use and importance of data isn't going away. Outside of football it is one of the primary movers affecting the world at large. I can see the positives of that movement, but I can also see the negatives. In a lot of cases we are running before we have learned to walk.

Mastering data is the obvious goal, but it is all to easy to become a slave to the data without even realising it. Data is the new drug for todays world. It holds the promise of euphoria, but within its shifting veils are misery and suffering for those who surrender their will to it blindly.

In my opinion, and it is a minority opinion, the most valuable characteristics are common sense and a critical eye. Those things seem to be falling out of favour these days, but they will be very highly sought after when the inevitable rebound occurs and the usage and value of data is exposed to greater scrutiny. Common sense appears to be a declining mode of thought these days and it is already becoming something of a rarity.

I'm touching wood that our down to earth Northern common sense is running the show, with the data analysis serving as a valued back up tool. The final outcome of the next window should give us an indication as to which way the pendulum is swinging, although we are slow to embrace change at Burnley so I suspect the real impact will be delayed.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu May 16, 2019 8:44 pm

The character of the player is probably more important than the ability he possesses.

Ability is something most use to get by. The young men with real determination and resilience, improve and improve, through their hard work and perseverance.

The ones with super ability and strength of character, are the elite.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5645 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri May 17, 2019 3:10 pm

only thing that matters to us is can a player do it on a cold Tuesday night at any of the following places:

AFC Bournemouth
Arsenal
Brighton & Hove Albion
Chelsea
Crystal Palace
Everton
Leicester City
Liverpool
Manchester City
Manchester United
Newcastle United
Norwich City
Sheffield United
Southampton
Tottenham Hotspur
Watford
West Ham United
Wolverhampton Wanderers

Villa or Derby

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2461 times
Has Liked: 1991 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sat May 18, 2019 5:11 pm

BBC reckon Potter has told Swansea he wants the job and will go for £2m compo.

1Simpleton
Been Liked: 21 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by 1Simpleton » Sat May 18, 2019 5:35 pm

A good bit of business by Swansea. Not exactly set the championship on fire and if they can get the right man in. I wouldn't be happy if I was a Brighton supporter. No experience at this level and think they will struggle again.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4068 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Mon May 20, 2019 1:40 pm

Brighton holding a press conference 4.30 at which Potter's appointment is expected to be announced.
(Five live).