Bid for Jay then?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Re: Bid for Jay then?

Post by SGr » Wed May 15, 2019 6:22 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Wonder what the odds are on SGr being able to find a way to blame us for just about everything
If we do things the same way we did them last summer, I'd get that bet placed. I'm moderately confident we won't, though.

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Wed May 15, 2019 6:39 pm

I think there’s a few conveniently playing down Jay’s strengths for whatever reason. Jay can lead the line in a 4-5-1 with more finesse than either Barnes or Wood. He is generally a more versatile player and better footballer than both.
I think he’d be a really good option but also believe it was all sorted last year before our chairman felt the transfer fee was too high. So the ship might have sailed, Dyche/ Rigg could well have identified other players.
I’d be extremely disappointed if we felt that Wood and Barnes is as good as it gets, with Crouch as back up, despite their improved performances over the course of the season.

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Wed May 15, 2019 6:41 pm

I don't think we'll go back for Jay or anyone else from West Brom
albeit he may offer us something a little bit different to what we have at present.
But he's approaching 30 I believe and may only have another couple of seasons
left and may not be worth much after that.

We need to buy someone with more pace and
who is much younger and we can develop and improve.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Thu May 16, 2019 6:48 am

jurek wrote:
We need to buy someone with more pace and
who is much younger and we can develop and improve.
Peter Crouch?

aggi
Been Liked: 2117 times

Post by aggi » Thu May 16, 2019 11:19 am

Although he got 22 goals last season that's not a great return in the Championship. When you look at the minutes per goal, Rodriguez was scoring a goal every 188 minutes whereas Barnes, in a division higher, was getting one every 213 minutes.

When you compare him to other top Championship scorers he doesn't do too well on minutes per goal or shots per goal https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/ch ... op-scorers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If we're going to be buying from the Championship then at least we could be looking at someone younger who we can develop like Adams, Maupay or Bowen