War with Iran

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Re: War with Iran

Post by Blackrod » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:22 am

IanMcL wrote:Nazis always end up with war.
What a strange and misguided comment.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:26 am

Here’s a fairly even handed article on the issue. In addition to what it says, Iran is a very complex country, and we are better off giving soft support to the various moderate figures and factions, rather than opposing the hardliners (which the hardliners then hold up to Iranians as a threat that only they, the hardliners, can save Iran from).

Edited for the link: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... about-iran" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:44 am

AndrewJB wrote:Here’s a fairly even handed article on the issue. In addition to what it says, Iran is a very complex country, and we are better off giving soft support to the various moderate figures and factions, rather than opposing the hardliners (which the hardliners then hold up to Iranians as a threat that only they, the hardliners, can save Iran from).

Edited for the link: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... about-iran" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Whilst not normally a Guardian fan you make a fair point in your post. I’ve met some very nice Iranians who have left the country to avoid hardline regimes.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:46 am

Blackrod wrote:Whilst not normally a Guardian fan you make a fair point in your post. I’ve met some very nice Iranians who have left the country to avoid hardline regimes.
It’s somewhere I’d like to see, but I couldn’t imagine living there under their government.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:11 pm

That article of course ignores Iran's activities in Lebanon and Syria. What are they up to there? Trying to surround Israel?

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:51 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:Not quite tbf

That said Iran is a very different animal to Iraq et al . The US really really don’t want a war there on so many levels . Iran’s Syria Russian “ axis” is not great, neither it’s rather public hatred for Israel ,coupled with low end sabre rattling . I’m amazed Iran don’t just chill out a bit ( Israel don’t give a sh1t about them anyway ) make up with the US and prosper .
This demonstrates your ignorance of who is in control of America. The wider public might not want it but the Republican party are not a party that feels burdened by public opinion, and they've wanted a war with Iran for a long time.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Vino blanco » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:28 pm

I always thought you were in control of America, Turtle.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:41 pm

Vino blanco wrote:I always thought you were in control of America, Turtle.
No, just your mind.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:24 pm

Hipper wrote:That article of course ignores Iran's activities in Lebanon and Syria. What are they up to there? Trying to surround Israel?
I can't speak for the writer, but I'd imagine he was referring to that when he mentioned Iran's encouragement of terrorism.

A possible repercussion out of all of this could be the disruption of oil to China.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:17 pm

This headline is brilliant

"Trump Has Brilliantly Cornered Himself Where He’s Now Demanding Iran Abide by a Deal He Already Reneged On"
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... ehran.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: AndrewJB

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:32 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:This headline is brilliant

"Trump Has Brilliantly Cornered Himself Where He’s Now Demanding Iran Abide by a Deal He Already Reneged On"
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... ehran.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He's erasing that line between reality and satire.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:20 pm

Trump ordered military strikes but called them off when his dementia meds kicked in (probably).

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/preside ... d=63853570" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:28 pm

I've been thinking about this and wondering, if Trump really is Putin's Puppet (which he obviously is), how would this all play out to benefit Putin? A war would be good for Putin only in the sense that it hurts America's standing with the world even more than Trump is already hurting it. But one thing that would be better for Putin would be if Trump brought America and Iran to the brink of all-out war and it was Putin who was the peace maker. And since Putin's obviously not much for peace making if this is what happens then you can be pretty sure that he has Trump completely in his pocket.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:56 pm

Its hotting up now. Iran is definitely the aggressor in this and is seeking war without doubt. According to Iranians in Europe they need a war. Goodness knows why when they will likely be obliterated. JC would be distraught- poor terrorist loving plonker.

Stayingup

Post by Stayingup » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:57 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:I've been thinking about this and wondering, if Trump really is Putin's Puppet (which he obviously is), how would this all play out to benefit Putin? A war would be good for Putin only in the sense that it hurts America's standing with the world even more than Trump is already hurting it. But one thing that would be better for Putin would be if Trump brought America and Iran to the brink of all-out war and it was Putin who was the peace maker. And since Putin's obviously not much for peace making if this is what happens then you can be pretty sure that he has Trump completely in his pocket.
You thinking. Haha
This user liked this post: Vino blanco

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:02 pm

Stayingup wrote:You thinking. Haha

And people wonder why there are no good right-wing comedians.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 588 times

Post by rob63 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:42 pm

exilecanada wrote:Trump’s a crook, always been a crook, lies through his teeth, his attention span is that of a rodent. He ‘cut his teeth’ studying Mussolini, the father of fascism. However he covers his tracks very well, the only way he’ll be nailed is through tax offences…………..shades of Al Capone!

Trump’s an all around nasty piece of work, it’s beyond me why the ‘Murican rednecks who voted for him can’t see that!
Cos he's their hero...... they don't like paying tax either!

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 588 times

Post by rob63 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:00 am

Steve1956 wrote:Can you imagine Trump and Johnson in the oval office hovering over the nuke button for Iran .....troubling times ahead ;(
I thought they'd moved the nuke button to Fox news where the real power is :lol:

Stayingup

Post by Stayingup » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:40 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:And people wonder why there are no good right-wing comedians.
Are there any good good comedians at all any more. The fabulous and hysterically funny Jimmy Carr apart. Oh and I almost forgot Jo Brand and yourself. Your really funny. Ever rhought of doing a stand up routine, your such a hoot. You could at least be the warm up act for that brilliant comedic act Abbott and Corbyn.
Last edited by Stayingup on Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stayingup

Post by Stayingup » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:44 am

Good old Donald. Man of peace. Single handedly stopped an American retaliatory attack on Iranian targets after the shooting down of an American drone by those ever belicose Iranians. Well the leaders of them. Itching for a war is Iran.
Last edited by Stayingup on Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stayingup

Post by Stayingup » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:46 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:This headline is brilliant

Thats what I call a brilliant negotiation tactic. Give nothing get all. Well done Donald if he pulls it off.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:02 am

Stayingup wrote:Thats what I call a brilliant negotiation tactic. Give nothing get all. Well done Donald if he pulls it off.
lol. Sure. Renaging on deals is a good negotiating tactic, something Donald's been doing for decades, which is no doubt part of why Putin owns him.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:40 am

Good news, everyone. Trump has brilliantly announced that he is placing sanctions on Ayatollah Khomeini. The very stable genius has done it again. He has saved the world from the evil Ayatollah who died 30 years ago. He truly is the prince who was promised. All heil Donald Trump.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:01 am

So they're one letter wrong in the spelling that I can see?

Oh well, it's close enough I suppose when you're in charge of one of the most aggressive democracies in the world *facepalm*...

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:48 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:So they're one letter wrong in the spelling that I can see?

Oh well, it's close enough I suppose when you're in charge of one of the most aggressive democracies in the world *facepalm*...
I'm half expecting this dumb **** to order an invasion of Iraq. Maybe that's why he called off his attack last week, because someone literate told him he was bombing the wrong country.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:32 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:I'm half expecting this dumb **** to order an invasion of Iraq. Maybe that's why he called off his attack last week, because someone literate told him he was bombing the wrong country.
Wouldn't matter, the Yanks are used to shooting or blowing up the wrong people, they've always done it

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2904 times

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:45 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Wouldn't matter, the Yanks are used to shooting or blowing up the wrong people, they've always done it
Sadly true. However we will only get a real sniff of what’s going on if it gets nasty unfortunately. I’m pretty sure if it’s not clear we will not be going in. Blair did and look what happened. We have a tradition of standing our ground when having a little more class dictates... Ragan was dragged over the coals for Granada, even though Thatcher was too busy with the Falkland Islands to spot it was about to turn Communist... it was OUR territory. We endured the near bankruptcy of the 1970’s on the back of telling the yanks to cough on Vietnam and them calling in our war debts.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:27 pm

elwaclaret wrote:Sadly true. However we will only get a real sniff of what’s going on if it gets nasty unfortunately. I’m pretty sure if it’s not clear we will not be going in. Blair did and look what happened. We have a tradition of standing our ground when having a little more class dictates... Ragan was dragged over the coals for Granada, even though Thatcher was too busy with the Falkland Islands to spot it was about to turn Communist... it was OUR territory. We endured the near bankruptcy of the 1970’s on the back of telling the yanks to cough on Vietnam and them calling in our war debts.

Don't underestimate the ability of boot-licking Conservatives to drag us into wars. It's unlikely, but still, they value the economy and money over human life so it's not hard to imagine the US using it as part of negotiations.
It's the kind of **** that can happen to a country when they value money over people. They follow allies into war, they're silent while their allies maintain concentration camps, they sell arms to countries who use those weapons to murder civilians of another country indiscriminately while also brutally oppressing their own people and chopping up journalists.

There is no floor for how far I see this country descending so i wouldn't be at all surprised if we find ourselves, as a nation, virtue-signalling over even more British soldiers' deaths, promising to remember their sacrifice and lying to ourselves, like we did with our dead from Iraq, that they died heroes defending our country when really all they did was have their lives wasted by us so that our scumbag friends still looked at us favourably.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2904 times

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:44 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Don't underestimate the ability of boot-licking Conservatives to drag us into wars. It's unlikely, but still, they value the economy and money over human life so it's not hard to imagine the US using it as part of negotiations.
It's the kind of **** that can happen to a country when they value money over people. They follow allies into war, they're silent while their allies maintain concentration camps, they sell arms to countries who use those weapons to murder civilians of another country indiscriminately while also brutally oppressing their own people and chopping up journalists.

There is no floor for how far I see this country descending so i wouldn't be at all surprised if we find ourselves, as a nation, virtue-signalling over even more British soldiers' deaths, promising to remember their sacrifice and lying to ourselves, like we did with our dead from Iraq, that they died heroes defending our country when really all they did was have their lives wasted by us so that our scumbag friends still looked at us favourably.
Doubt it, far too Vietnam-Esque at the moment. Not that it wouldn’t have been tempting for some but as Stan would say.. a blind man on a galloping horse could foresee the turbulence it would create. As we know the Conservatives are not really in a position to call on a groundswell of national pride from conflict.

It is not in the Tories interests to go in, this time. If we go in it’s going to be a dead cert something really needs doing.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:13 pm

Latest from Donald, the President of the United States of America:

"Trump initially tagged the wrong account - a Megan Rapino with only two followers - before deleting the thread and retagging the US star's actual account."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48775195" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:15 pm

Spijed wrote:Latest from Donald, the President of the United States of America:

"Trump initially tagged the wrong account - a Megan Rapino with only two followers - before deleting the thread and retagging the US star's actual account."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48775195" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."

It's always about the ******* flag with these fascists. What kind of mature adult gives a **** about a piece of cloth?

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:36 pm

Iran have seized a British flagged ship, likely in retaliation to us seizing one of theirs. :roll:

COBRA meeting underway.

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/sta ... 86432?s=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:41 pm

A Liberian flag carrier has been "seized" also.

I feel for the Norwegian officers and Filipino crews.

Still, lets hope since they pay their taxes to Liberia, their government can sort this one out.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:42 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Iran have seized a British flagged ship, likely in retaliation to us seizing one of theirs. :roll:

COBRA meeting underway.

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/sta ... 86432?s=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
images-4.jpeg
images-4.jpeg (8.43 KiB) Viewed 2147 times
Every time I hear that Cobra are meeting..

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:21 pm

If a Cobra meeting is underway, be glad that May is still PM. It could be Baffoon Boy.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:33 pm

Turns out it's 2 tankers that have been raided by Iran.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:37 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:If a Cobra meeting is underway, be glad that May is still PM. It could be Baffoon Boy.
He's going to inherit this though. It won't be settled by the time he's PM.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 977 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:10 pm

The last time I saw Boris he was waving a kipper above his head trying to explain how the Isle Of Man was struggling to comply with EU regulations.

Boris does not have a very good record when it comes down to sorting out problems with Iran.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:19 pm

kentonclaret wrote:The last time I saw Boris he was waving a kipper above his head trying to explain how the Isle Of Man was struggling to comply with EU regulations.

Boris does not have a very good record when it comes down to sorting out problems with Iran.
Our next Prime Minister is only this week learning that the Isle of Man isn't in the EU.

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:23 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:If a Cobra meeting is underway, be glad that May is still PM. It could be Baffoon Boy.
Is a 'baffoon' someone who thinks they are more intelligent than others but cannot spell buffoon, or is there like a twitter meaning with irony I don't quite grasp?

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:27 pm

I think Boris is more of a puffoon

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:29 pm

I'm not being racist, but I think that's photoshopped.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:46 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:32 pm
Wouldn't matter, the Yanks are used to shooting or blowing up the wrong people, they've always done it
Or Blowing up the wrong Base. :?
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Goalposts
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 142 times

Post by Goalposts » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:39 pm

i person dying every ten minutes 50 new infections an hour and america imposed 3 new economic sanctions this week , some of which were medical based...cant help feeling that this is wrong.

bo supporter of Iranian regime , just think this may be an opportunity lost to make things better