Is women’s football winning you over?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Re: Is women’s football winning you over?

Post by dsr » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:33 am

Guller Bull wrote:Within the next ten years a woman footballer will break through to play in the Premiership.
I bet they won't. Look at all the other sports where women have been able to compete without restriction for a lot longer than they have in football.

For example:
Cricket
Sprinting
Hockey
Golf
Snooker
Darts
Tennis
Badminton
Swimming
Cycling
Volleyball
Handball
Sailing
Rowing
Lacrosse
Skiing
Speed Skating

In how many of those sports, or any other you care to name, has a woman become good enough to play at top level? The only major sport where they compete on equal terms is equestrian sports, and that is (I presume) because the horse is doing the work, and if it comes to a trial of strength, the human (male or female) loses to the horse.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:12 am

Imagine thinking a female will break into the PL. And I don't mean that a woman wouldn't be capable, I just mean, it wouldn't happen.

If males and females compete together it will be under a separate, mixed league.

It's basically why a man won't play in the Women's PL.

ClaretDiver
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by ClaretDiver » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:28 am

dsr wrote:I bet they won't. Look at all the other sports where women have been able to compete without restriction for a lot longer than they have in football.

For example:
Cricket
Sprinting
Hockey
Golf
Snooker
Darts
Tennis
Badminton
Swimming
Cycling
Volleyball
Handball
Sailing
Rowing
Lacrosse
Skiing
Speed Skating

In how many of those sports, or any other you care to name, has a woman become good enough to play at top level? The only major sport where they compete on equal terms is equestrian sports, and that is (I presume) because the horse is doing the work, and if it comes to a trial of strength, the human (male or female) loses to the horse.
Probably one of the most sexist posts I have read on here.....

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2316 times
Has Liked: 2692 times

Post by fatboy47 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:02 am

Cyclist Beryl Burton could whip most of the men around back in the day.

And neither was she an out and out munter like you'd expect.

Granted she was no oil painting either, but you get my drift....at least she really did look like a woman.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:10 am

The BBC can plug this to death all they want but I’m still not interested. They don’t even refer to it as ‘women’s football’ anymore. It’s just the ‘World Cup’and ‘Premier League’ players mixed up with the main football news.
This user liked this post: fatboy47

up_the_clarets_1989
Been Liked: 39 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by up_the_clarets_1989 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:59 am

I started watching it yesterday but decided it was best to turn off when Germany won a corner and the commentator called it a ‘flag kick’.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6902 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:32 am

It’s funny how many people are flipping their lid about this.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1148 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:35 am

ClaretDiver wrote:Probably one of the most sexist posts I have read on here.....
Can’t deny that but it’s a pity that generally factual observations on women’s sport /football etc are howled down as sexist
This user liked this post: Dazzler

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:37 am

It’s poor to watch, but I’m trying to have a different mindset on it these days.

Since March I’ve been taking my daughter each Sunday morning (about to go in half an hour actually) to a girls under 4s football class called Diddykicks. She absolutely loves it and for that I then show her the Women’s football on TV and she loves to think she could emulate them.

So, in agreement - it’s not good, BUT, I think girls/ladies need encouraging with this, if nothing else it’s doing nobody any harm and they enjoy it.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone Guich

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:32 pm

The pitch side analysis.....man speak and same old cliches p!ss me right off! And if it's USA v France Final someone connected to the Americans Have already called it The Game Of The Century.......that really is stretching it! But it is growing on me.

groove
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by groove » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:00 pm

I think the man of the match should make my tea.
These 2 users liked this post: Jeremy_Bentham fatboy47

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:06 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:Can’t deny that but it’s a pity that generally factual observations on women’s sport /football etc are howled down as sexist
I assume he, she or other was being facetious. Hope so anyway! :)

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:09 pm

fatboy47 wrote:Cyclist Beryl Burton could whip most of the men around back in the day.

And neither was she an out and out munter like you'd expect.

Granted she was no oil painting either, but you get my drift....at least she really did look like a woman.
I'd never heard of her - thanks. Right, that's cycling off the list - any more?

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1426 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:13 pm

I’m the same way as listening to the Scottish league results on the way home after a game - No. stop forcing it on us all.

chipbutty
Been Liked: 133 times

Post by chipbutty » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:33 am

tim_noone wrote:They'll be looking to Equal Pay before you know it........only a matter of time.I think that's the Agenda.
Will they Be looking At random Capital letters As well?

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:39 am

chipbutty wrote:Will they Be looking At random Capital letters As well?
PoSsIBlY... :D

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1208 times
Has Liked: 7098 times

Post by Quicknick » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:38 am

No.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1148 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:48 am

Let’s face it Women’s football is a steaming pile of shoite. BUT,then again so is ,say u8’s junior football but it can still be great fun, exciting and the players love playing it .It’s harmless fun and for the BBC it’s a sport they can not only afford to screen it also fits their agenda nicely, so a winner alround imo.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:53 am

I tried to watch some of the highlights earlier. I failed.

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1161 times

Post by Falcon » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:59 am

I've caught a couple of games over the weekend.

The technical quality of some of the players is very good, it just lacks the athletic power and strength of the men's game. That doesn't make it any less valid, but I understand why people don't enjoy it as much.

That said, I wasn't bored at all. You just have to enjoy it for what it is. What I do like a lot is the respect the women have for the referee, the lack of dissent etc. And you can tell pulling on the England shirt means a heck of a lot more to the women's team than the men's team for the most part!

What I don't understand is grown men whinging about it being "rammed down their throat". I don't like X-Factor or Love Island, so guess what, I just don't watch it. Problem solved.
These 5 users liked this post: Claretmatt4 Ptangyangkipperbang Ashingtonclaret46 tiger76 simonclaret

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:09 am

Thought England-Scotland yesterday was a good game. England well on top first half, Scots a lot better 2nd but without any real cutting edge.

Lucy Bronze the England right back is a hell of a player

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:27 am

More people would watch if Jonathan Pearce was removed from the commentating duties
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:56 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:I watched the first half, but it really annoyed me.

What annoyed me was the refereeing and the commentator.

China weren't 'over physical', they were just getting stuck in as you would expect from an underdog in a World Cup.

There was a brilliant sliding tackle made in Germany's left wing position by one of the Chinese lasses. The ball was won cleanly and the German lass wasn't even touched during the tackle. A foul was given.
Sadly, this isn't just something which is happening in the Womens' game because it is happening more and more in the PL and the EFL. Good tackles are being penalised and sometimes there are cautions issued and it is because this is the way that FIFA and UEFA are wanting the game to go.
I read an article in 442 about three years ago in which a very well-known foreign manager expressed the view that there was never any need to tackle because players should be able to read the game and make interceptions, he even expressed the view that tackling was dangerous.
He is still managing and his team has a player who is very adept at breaking up opposition moves by putting the boot in, he averages 1 caution every 4 games but in recent seasons has not been dismissed.

As far as the ladies' game is concerned, good luck to them because they have been treated badly by our FA for many years and they are showing good determination to progress their game, in spite of the opposition and lack of interest from other 'football lovers'

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:18 am

I don't really understand the people who complain that they won't watch women's football as it's not the same quality as top flight men's football.

We're all (I assume) Burnley fans on here and over the years we have been terrible at times. Did all these people support Liverpool in the 80s because Burnley's football wasn't the same quality as top flight football?

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:22 am

aggi wrote:I don't really understand the people who complain that they won't watch women's football as it's not the same quality as top flight men's football.

We're all (I assume) Burnley fans on here and over the years we have been terrible at times. Did all these people support Liverpool in the 80s because Burnley's football wasn't the same quality as top flight football?
You genuinely don't understand, or is it that you just disagree? Women's football is absolute bonk. The passes and shots are all softer which makes it a slower game.

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:59 am

Its a definitive no
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:11 pm

FactualFrank wrote:You genuinely don't understand, or is it that you just disagree? Women's football is absolute bonk. The passes and shots are all softer which makes it a slower game.
As slow as lower and non league men's football?

Trust me when I say Didcot town are bonk to watch, but so were Salisbury when I last saw them.

Is women's football slow and bonk because you're used to watching a certain standard of men's football, whilst forgetting that it's also slow and bonk lower down the league's?

The softer shots thing is amusing though, so I'm guessing you've watched a lot of women's football to make that generalisation?

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:20 pm

FactualFrank wrote:You genuinely don't understand, or is it that you just disagree? Women's football is absolute bonk. The passes and shots are all softer which makes it a slower game.
In the last 4 matches in the Womens' World Cup there have been 111 shots of which 41 were on target.
Compare to the 4 matches in the Nations Cup Final stages which had 114 shots of which 38 were on target and this included 30 minutes more playing time.
The fact that the men are quicker and stronger isn't resulting in more attempts and more accuracy than the slower womens' game and the number of fouls committed and cautions is also very similar with 109 fouls and 12 cautions in 390 minutes of the mens' game and 102 fouls with 13 cautions and 1 dismissal in 360 minutes of the womens' game.

Frank, I am sure that you would make a good member of the FA Council with your thoughts on womens' football, it is what has stopped their game from developing over many years. You don't like it, however, you do not have to watch it so it must be an easy choice for you.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:In the last 4 matches in the Womens' World Cup there have been 111 shots of which 41 were on target.
Compare to the 4 matches in the Nations Cup Final stages which had 114 shots of which 38 were on target and this included 30 minutes more playing time.
The fact that the men are quicker and stronger isn't resulting in more attempts and more accuracy than the slower womens' game and the number of fouls committed and cautions is also very similar with 109 fouls and 12 cautions in 390 minutes of the mens' game and 102 fouls with 13 cautions and 1 dismissal in 360 minutes of the womens' game.

Frank, I am sure that you would make a good member of the FA Council with your thoughts on womens' football, it is what has stopped their game from developing over many years. You don't like it, however, you do not have to watch it so it must be an easy choice for you.
You're suggesting I've not watched it, which I've already said I have.

I said it's slow. You can be slow and have 111 shots. It's the speed I don't like. I want to reach into the screen and push them to run faster.

Not really impressed with the suggestion of becoming a member of the FA Council - I prefer to say it how it is, so it wouldn't go down very well :)
Last edited by FactualFrank on Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:28 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Is women's football slow and bonk because you're used to watching a certain standard of men's football, whilst forgetting that it's also slow and bonk lower down the league's?
Quite possibly pal! And I'll admit, I don't enjoy watching football down the leagues. It bores me to tears. I'm only saying what a lot of people are thinking. It's not entertaining at all.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

DustyBawls
Been Liked: 156 times

Post by DustyBawls » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:30 pm

My new catchprase

"bonk".

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1712 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by agreenwood » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:11 pm

I coach girls football and both of my daughters play.

It is what it is and I don’t worry about how it compares to boys or men’s football.

My daughters enjoy playing and I enjoy the coaching. The numbers playing the game is on the rise just about everywhere and the standard will continue to improve for as long as that remains the case. Increased coverage and access to the sport will only help with the growth.

As demonstrated by the increased interest and record viewing figures yesterday, it would seem an increasing number of people are watching female football too.

If it’s not for you, no bother. I don’t think the FA’s strategy is particularly focussed around increasing interest amongst older males anyway.
These 4 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 Falcon boatshed bill THEWELLERNUT70

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2590 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:21 pm

Exactly right agreenwood. Unfortunately some middle-aged men find it impossible to grasp that something doesn't exist purely for them to enjoy. Women's football is for girls and women to play. They really enjoy it. Some of them get really good at it, albeit it will always be a different sport to men's football in several ways. So what.. there's not going to be any less men's football to watch.

My daughter was at a tournament yesterday, the number of girls playing - and the rise in standard - is really encouraging. Hundreds of girls there, outdoors, playing sport and making friends. Obviously in an ideal world they'd be sat at home, browsing smart phones and beginning to learn how men think they should look and behave as they get older but there you go.
These 4 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 Falcon Billy Balfour THEWELLERNUT70

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1747 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:29 pm

agreenwood wrote:
It is what it is and I don’t worry about how it compares to boys or men’s football.
I think this is my issue with it. I think it should be its own thing. When you're comparing it to the established version... it's never going be 'as good'. Women's FA Cup, Women's Champions League and Women's World Cup and so on. They're wearing the same kits, with the same sponsorship deals.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:51 pm

agreenwood wrote:I coach girls football and both of my daughters play.

My daughters enjoy playing and I enjoy the coaching. The numbers playing the game is on the rise just about everywhere and the standard will continue to improve for as long as that remains the case. Increased coverage and access to the sport will only help with the growth.

As demonstrated by the increased interest and record viewing figures yesterday, it would seem an increasing number of people are watching female football too.

If it’s not for you, no bother. I don’t think the FA’s strategy is particularly focussed around increasing interest amongst older males anyway.
No argument with the first part of your post but I do wonder about the last paragraph. How long will the money be continued to be put into the professional game if interest at spectator level does not increase? I guess the super league players are earning more than lower league men but are playing in front of similar or smaller crowds (who are presumably paying less too). The model at present seems very unsustainable (much like most clubs in the men’s game I should add).

theroyaldyche

Post by theroyaldyche » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:54 pm

Womens football is and always will be shite

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:24 pm

NottsClaret wrote:Exactly right agreenwood. Unfortunately some middle-aged men find it impossible to grasp that something doesn't exist purely for them to enjoy.

This is so true. It's all a bit 'now what can I be angry at today' isn't it.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:26 pm

theroyaldyche wrote:Womens football is and always will be shite
At least you have something in common with it.

theroyaldyche

Post by theroyaldyche » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:28 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:At least you have something in common with it.
What? Im shite?

Good one

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:56 pm

Don't understand. You've given a reason regarding the physicality and pace of the game which is to some extent a different thing than a blanket "it's not as good".

Unless it's a relatively new Burnley fan, we've all watched a lot of football that's a long way from top quality but that hasn't given rise to the same complaint.

theroyaldyche

Post by theroyaldyche » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:03 pm

A woman playing in the prem in 10 years

That poster needs shooting

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3139 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:09 pm

I quite enjoyed England vs Scotland. i don't compare it to anything, just watch the game for what it is.
These 2 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 THEWELLERNUT70

RMutt
Been Liked: 373 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by RMutt » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:13 pm

Just an observation. No inference intended. They seem to scowl more than male footballers. I wonder if they are told to be aggressive by their coaches and that’s the result?

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:13 pm

boatshed bill wrote:I quite enjoyed England vs Scotland. i don't compare it to anything, just watch the game for what it is.
I don’t think this is the place for such sensible comments.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:18 pm

Well.. I'm going to hold my hands up. I had the game on in the background and thought it was actually semi-enjoyable. And the pundits I've not seen before - no idea who they are - but seemed to talk sense.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2159 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Post by CoolClaret » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:18 pm

Guller Bull wrote:
Within the next ten years a woman footballer will break through to play in the Premiership.
:shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Has to be a windup?

Easily the most outrageous thing that's ever been said on here.

MDWat
Been Liked: 872 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by MDWat » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:45 pm

Too slow and most not technically good enough for my liking, so find it pretty boring. It's great that it's getting more of an airing and I'm sure the game will continue to grow but with the abilities on show at the moment, it isn't for me.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:45 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:Sadly, this isn't just something which is happening in the Womens' game because it is happening more and more in the PL and the EFL. Good tackles are being penalised and sometimes there are cautions issued and it is because this is the way that FIFA and UEFA are wanting the game to go.
I read an article in 442 about three years ago in which a very well-known foreign manager expressed the view that there was never any need to tackle because players should be able to read the game and make interceptions, he even expressed the view that tackling was dangerous.
He is still managing and his team has a player who is very adept at breaking up opposition moves by putting the boot in, he averages 1 caution every 4 games but in recent seasons has not been dismissed.

As far as the ladies' game is concerned, good luck to them because they have been treated badly by our FA for many years and they are showing good determination to progress their game, in spite of the opposition and lack of interest from other 'football lovers'
Although I agree Ashy, some of this was on a different level to what we see in the Premier League.

All credit to the lasses though for not kicking off too much in that match.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:47 pm

6.1 million people watched the England v Scotland game yesterday.

Obviously 6 million of them were forced to watch it. :)
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank Ashingtonclaret46

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:12 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:6.1 million people watched the England v Scotland game yesterday.
Obviously 6 million of them were forced to watch it. :)
:lol: :lol: