Is women’s football winning you over?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1239 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Re: Is women’s football winning you over?

Post by Hibsclaret » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:13 am

I would agree with that about the U21s defending, absolutely

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:17 am

NottsClaret wrote:It's encouraging to see people at least open their minds to it - I used to be the same when it came to watching it - but as said on this thread, once you stop making pointless comparisons to men's football, it's alright.

The lack of play acting is a refreshing change, shame the men can't 'man up' like the women. There were a couple of moments last night when the camera zoomed in a pair of England players laughing about something. It just seemed weird, players at that level clearly enjoying what they were doing during the game. Hopefully that gets coached out of them shortly and they can focus on pressurising the ref and talking with their hands over their mouths.
Women just can’t stop talking....oops sorry...

It is really refreshing seeing them not pressuring refs, Cameroon excluded, I have to say...and the game is good to watch now the standard has improved. I haven’t even noticed the bad keeping on the last few games I’ve watched...definitely moving in the right direction

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:22 am

NottsClaret wrote:It's encouraging to see people at least open their minds to it - I used to be the same when it came to watching it - but as said on this thread, once you stop making pointless comparisons to men's football, it's alright.

The lack of play acting is a refreshing change, shame the men can't 'man up' like the women. There were a couple of moments last night when the camera zoomed in a pair of England players laughing about something. It just seemed weird, players at that level clearly enjoying what they were doing during the game. Hopefully that gets coached out of them shortly and they can focus on pressurising the ref and talking with their hands over their mouths.
Agree with your last paragraph totally.... And there are some very good footballers but the overhyping analysis and bullsh!t again from the pundits at the interval has me reaching for the sick Bucket and the off button......this is all about BBC viewing figures and parity in pay....in my humble opinion.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2596 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:38 am

tim_noone wrote:Agree with your last paragraph totally.... And there are some very good footballers but the overhyping analysis and bullsh!t again from the pundits at the interval has me reaching for the sick Bucket and the off button......this is all about BBC viewing figures and parity in pay....in my humble opinion.
The worst thing about the tournament is Jonathan Pearce's commentary.
These 2 users liked this post: Hibsclaret tiger76

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:10 am

NottsClaret wrote:The worst thing about the tournament is Jonathan Pearce's commentary.
Commentary is pushing the trade description.

I watched without sound yesterday to save me slitting my wrists

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:02 am

NottsClaret wrote:The worst thing about the tournament is Jonathan Pearce's commentary.
Yep he needs red-carding,how on earth did he blag a gig on the Beeb,he was bad enough on Channel 5,tone it down mate please,you're not covering Robot Wars any more.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:06 pm

NottsClaret wrote:The lack of play acting is a refreshing change, shame the men can't 'man up' like the women.
In one way that's true, but in another it's what makes football a brilliant game to watch.

Would anyone have swapped the atmosphere against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge at the end of last season for a more sterile one at a rugby union game? Seeing Sarri getting sent off, only for him to go to the dugout to get his cigarettes is all part of the theatre that makes football the most popular sport.

Even in cricket, seeing Warner & Smith getting booed is great entertainment.

Take all that away and you are left with boring sport!

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:15 pm

Spijed wrote:In one way that's true, but in another it's what makes football a brilliant game to watch.

Would anyone have swapped the atmosphere against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge at the end of last season for a more sterile one at a rugby union game? Seeing Sarri getting sent off, only for him to go to the dugout to get his cigarettes is all part of the theatre that makes football the most popular sport.

Even in cricket, seeing Warner & Smith getting booed is great entertainment.

Take all that away and you are left with boring sport!
great theatre that night indeed inc.Ashleys gesture!! Yes let's see the women cupping hands over mouth and fake diving...

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1152 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:21 pm

As a stand alone event /sport it’s ok . But it’s unfair to compare it to the men’s game ,apart from the core rules they’re very different animals . The pundits have been truly awful though imo , the ramping up of very little into to frenzied exicitable “ debate “ is grinding somewhat . It’s ultimately a BBC showcase which will no doubt be vindicated ( as we’ve performed v well as expected ) with viewing figures and the whole “ we are wimmin we are strong” ethos . Though looking at the USA team a more fearsome aggressive bunch of lesbian athletes has probably never been assembled in peacetime

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:50 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:Not sure how you deduce Bronze is playing to a higher level when Neville was in England squads and played regularly for Man U...but I take your point...
He’s claiming that Bronze is the best player in the world, and clearly believes that. Whereas Phil Neville was nowhere near being the best player in the world. He is saying that she has reached a higher pinnacle of her sport than he ever did.

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:06 pm

Rileybobs wrote:He’s claiming that Bronze is the best player in the world, and clearly believes that. Whereas Phil Neville was nowhere near being the best player in the world. He is saying that she has reached a higher pinnacle of her sport than he ever did.
I know, that’s why I took the point.

The issue is how can we stop comparing when the top people in the game keep comparing. There is no comparison. Phil Neville was way better than the best woman player in the world.....perhaps this is what he was self deprecatingly acknowledging

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:11 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:I know, that’s why I took the point.

The issue is how can we stop comparing when the top people in the game keep comparing. There is no comparison. Phil Neville was way better than the best woman player in the world.....perhaps this is what he was self deprecatingly acknowledging
I personally don't see any problem comparing the mens and womens game, it is the same game played to the same rules but with people of different attributes and abilities.

I think the issue is that some people desperate to tell everyone how the women are nowhere near as good as the men, which is just daft because men and women have totally different physical attributes which is why they compete separately in almost every sport.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:55 pm

The viewing figures are growing steadily as England progress through the tournament.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48798721

Possible the SF could break 10 million on Tuesday.

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:00 pm

Great viewing figures. Very impressive

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:05 pm

“I played full back but never ever to that level that she plays at...”

Probably better to say

“I played full back and so understand the position better than most and she has developed into the best player in the world”

This way it is a bit more accurate. I guess he was caught up in the moment.....

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:45 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:“I played full back but never ever to that level that she plays at...”

Probably better to say

“I played full back and so understand the position better than most and she has developed into the best player in the world”

This way it is a bit more accurate. I guess he was caught up in the moment.....
Yeah a bit clumsy maybe. I know what he was getting at though.

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:02 pm

Spijed wrote:In one way that's true, but in another it's what makes football a brilliant game to watch!
Sorry, but no. The rampant play acting in the premier league is embarrassing.

Anyone see the rugby league player who dislocated his knee, smacked it back in, and carried on playing? Imagine a footballers reaction to that.....

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:05 pm

box_of_frogs wrote:Sorry, but no. The rampant play acting in the premier league is embarrassing.

Anyone see the rugby league player who dislocated his knee, smacked it back in, and carried on playing? Imagine a footballers reaction to that.....
So you think Heaton and Pope were a bit soft when they both dislocated their shoulders?

You seem to be implying that they were, by not pushing their shoulders back in and carrying on!

aggi
Been Liked: 2116 times

Post by aggi » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:23 pm

Just been listening to the radio in the US with the build up to this evening's game. The consensus seems to be that whoever wins this match will win the tournament easily. England obviously aren't being viewed as that dangerous opposition.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:30 pm

aggi wrote:Just been listening to the radio in the US with the build up to this evening's game. The consensus seems to be that whoever wins this match will win the tournament easily. England obviously aren't being viewed as that dangerous opposition.
Good, it adds to the entertainment.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:57 pm

I enjoyed last night's game. I'm also looking forward to tonight's game - and will make my plans to watch the England v Fr/USA semi-final.

Yes, women don't play with the same speed and strength as the top men's game - but England's third last night was "top drawer." We'd have been proud of any of our Clarets to have scored a goal like that - hit it with power and kept the ball down and on target for the back of the net!
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

box_of_frogs

Post by box_of_frogs » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:58 pm

Spijed wrote:So you think Heaton and Pope were a bit soft when they both dislocated their shoulders?

You seem to be implying that they were, by not pushing their shoulders back in and carrying on!
Not at all, 1% of the time a footballer flailing around on the ground is injured. 99% they should be booked for being tarts.

The sooner play continues around injured players, the sooner the embarrassing play acting stops.
These 2 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 dsr

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:00 pm

box_of_frogs wrote:Not at all, 1% of the time a footballer flailing around on the ground is injured. 99% they should be booked for being tarts.

The sooner play continues around injured players, the sooner the embarrassing play acting stops.
Having seen both the dislocations of Heaton & Pope, along with the bad knee injuries for Vokes, Ings & Barnes I doubt the rugby player had anything too serious, otherwise he wouldn't have been able to continue, like all our players couldn't.

aggi

Post by aggi » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:08 pm

Spijed is right, this kind of thing really adds to the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiW0IPrv1Ro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: box_of_frogs

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:13 pm

aggi wrote:Spijed is right, this kind of thing really adds to the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiW0IPrv1Ro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That sort of thing doesn't, but there was nothing wrong with the atmosphere at Chelsea with Sarri getting sent off either. That was very enjoyable, along with Ashley Barnes winding Kovacic up.

box_of_frogs

Post by box_of_frogs » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:35 pm

Spijed wrote:Having seen both the dislocations of Heaton & Pope, along with the bad knee injuries for Vokes, Ings & Barnes I doubt the rugby player had anything too serious, otherwise he wouldn't have been able to continue, like all our players couldn't.
Still 1% injuries versus 99% embarrassing play acting. Just as bad as the cringeworthy “there’s contact so he has a right to go down” bullocks spouted by most commentators. Time to cut that cack out.
This user liked this post: dsr

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1829 times
Has Liked: 2624 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:45 pm

Spijed wrote:Having seen both the dislocations of Heaton & Pope, along with the bad knee injuries for Vokes, Ings & Barnes I doubt the rugby player had anything too serious, otherwise he wouldn't have been able to continue, like all our players couldn't.
You obviously never saw the incident last night. His knee cap was on the outside of his leg and he bashed it back in with his fist. The physio came on and tried to get him off the pitch but, because they had no interchanges left, he would not leave the pitch.

Nobody is arguing about the genuine injuries that Heaton, Pope, Vokes, Ings, Barnes etc. received it is more about the feigning of injuries which many footballers seem to be expert at and is prevalent in the game. Never mind, VAR will get rid of it all ---won't it?

aggi

Post by aggi » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:53 pm

Spijed wrote:That sort of thing doesn't, but there was nothing wrong with the atmosphere at Chelsea with Sarri getting sent off either. That was very enjoyable, along with Ashley Barnes winding Kovacic up.
That's nothing to do with the diving and play acting though.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:17 pm

aggi wrote:That's nothing to do with the diving and play acting though.
So much for the women's game not cheating. The American player clearly dived to try and get a penalty.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:49 pm

A superb finish by the Germans against the Swedes.

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:54 pm

A brilliant through ball and finish by the Swedes now, game on.

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3766 times
Has Liked: 7557 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:54 pm

Good equaliser from Sweden.

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:21 pm

What a very fine 1st half the Swedes are certainly no mugs at getting forward in numbers.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3181 times
Has Liked: 1865 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:36 pm

Another for the Swedes

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 832 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:08 pm

To answer the OP's question...

nope.

Tuned in to watch the USA v England semi-final and the overall quality of play is **** poor.

dsr
Been Liked: 4575 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Post by dsr » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:33 pm

I certainly didn't see one of those games with no play-acting and no diving that has been frequently mentioned.

I do wonder why they kept passing it around at the back when clearly neither side (especially England) was any good at it. Give the ball away that often in a men's professional game, and you're talking double figures. It was only because the forwards weren't very good either, that they got away with it.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:19 pm

yes it won me over, i was mistaken to criticise it.

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1169 times

Post by Falcon » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:15 pm

I enjoyed the match last night.

The gulf in class between our lot and the Americans reminded me of watching Burnley play a big 6 side, so in a way I was right at home cheering on England.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:55 pm

Claret-On-A-T-Rex wrote:To answer the OP's question...

nope.

Tuned in to watch the USA v England semi-final and the overall quality of play is **** poor.

That's because you're comparing it to the men's game, which is just stupid. It's like comparing women's tennis to men's tennis.

aggi

Post by aggi » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:55 pm

I know the theory is that you shouldn't be going to ground to win the ball but there have been some great sliding tackles in this tournament.

dsr
Been Liked: 4575 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Post by dsr » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:03 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:That's because you're comparing it to the men's game, which is just stupid. It's like comparing women's tennis to men's tennis.
Why is it stupid? What should women's football be compared to - gardening and DIY? Going to work? Going to bed? Watching paint dry?

The problem with saying you shouldn't compare women's football to men's football is that it's actually a lot like men's football. The players are slower, the ball moves slower, the defences are less organised, the goalkeepers are poorer; but the games are similar. When deciding what to watch, you compare it with other available pastimes - and men's football is one of the comparatives, and it's the most directly comparable.

If women's football had a raft of advantages that men's football doesn't, then by all means compare those as well. But if it has, I don't see them.

(Comparing women's tennis to men's tennis is also relevant and sensible.)
This user liked this post: ten bellies

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:12 pm

Yes correct.....watching paint Dry!

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:15 am

dsr wrote:Why is it stupid? What should women's football be compared to - gardening and DIY? Going to work? Going to bed? Watching paint dry?
When discussing the quality then you should compare it to other women's football. Why? Well, you explain some of why in your post. The players are slower. The ball moves slower (because the players are slower). The players are shorter which is why it seems like the goalkeepers are poorer when compared to men's goalkeepers, but the goal frames are the same size so you're not comparing apples to apples. The players are slower but the pitches are the same size, so the players tire more. The players are slower but the pitches are the same size so the passes have to be more accurate to look as good as passes in the men's game, because they can chase down fewer errant passes, this in part is why the ball moves around slower; to increase passing accuracy.

Those are some of the physiological reasons why it is a bad comparison to make when comparing the quality of the men's and women's game with each other. There are also financial reasons, societal reasons, and simply participation numbers reasons. Even if all the physiological reasons didn't exist we'd still be comparing one game with another game whee one of them has over a century of professional growth with one that has been professional for what, a couple of decades? Which means male participation is huge compared to female participation which naturally means the men's game will be stronger.

As I said though, the physiological reasons alone are why it's a bad idea to compare the two and decide one is worse than the other, because they're not starting on equal footing.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5647 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:42 am

The Premier League are wanting to buy the Womens football league, you all better get used to it being on the TV !

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 357 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:39 am

It’s just over 18 months since the original post. Where are we with it? Is it winning you over?

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:54 am

claptrappers_union wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:39 am
It’s just over 18 months since the original post. Where are we with it? Is it winning you over?
The Game of Football in general that I used to watch as Gone...Be it Either sex. Its outpouring of political correctness and the sanitised product being offered by The BBC in particular...is slowly killing the game. The Bubbles burst for me personally. Though I'll always be a claret.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:00 am

Not at all.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6743 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:03 am

Quite the opposite.
The curiosity value has worn off.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:04 am

tim_noone wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:54 am
The Game of Football in general that I used to watch as Gone...Be it Either sex. Its outpouring of political correctness and the sanitised product being offered by The BBC in particular...is slowly killing the game. The Bubbles burst for me personally. Though I'll always be a claret.
How is political correctness killing the game?

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2596 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:10 am

I imagine it's much the same. Men who realise it's a very different sport to men's football, will probably enjoy it for what it is. The women who play couldn't care less what we think.

And I don't think it needs to win over unfit, lazy chauvinists. Unfortunately the aim now always seems to be getting more money, more sponsors, more media attention. But the best thing about the women's game is how it's thriving so well at grassroots level. Girls and women who want to play sport and keep fit have loads of good opportunities. I don't think being on telly and winning over some slob watching in a bar is top of their priorities.

As for men who wail and whine about it being on telly.. don't pretend it's anything other than a challenge to your fragile little egos. Just watch something else.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81