Salomon Rondon

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Salomon Rondon

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu May 23, 2019 2:04 pm

Loan ends and returns to WBA.

They need players off the books and he has a 16m release clause.

Has proven again this season he is a good premier league striker.
Quick. Physical and technically good. Can score in and out of the box. With both feet and head. Would be a perfect signing for our style.

Should have at least 3 years left at this level and 16m would be a snip. Especially of we can offload Wells, Vydra and Crouch!
This user liked this post: JenniferTown

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Re: Salomon Rondon

Post by theroyaldyche » Thu May 23, 2019 2:06 pm

Id have him

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu May 23, 2019 2:06 pm

There's a bloke sits to my left on the Turf who doesn't rate Rondon at all - life would be unbearable for me if we signed him.

The Birmingham Mail are reporting that he's intent on going back to Newcastle although Wolves, Everton and West Ham are also interested in him.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3772 times
Has Liked: 12365 times

Post by Leisure » Thu May 23, 2019 2:08 pm

Hi James - For once I agree with you! :D I really like him but surely Newcastle will be favourites to sign him.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu May 23, 2019 2:08 pm

£15m bid from Burnley on the cards
This user liked this post: juliedoney

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Thu May 23, 2019 2:09 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:£15m bid from Burnley on the cards
Hilarious.
This user liked this post: fusco

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Thu May 23, 2019 2:11 pm

Newcastle stupid not to sign him but at 29 he doesn't fit Ashley's sell-on for profit profile.

He'd be great for us but can see deeper pockets getting him.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu May 23, 2019 2:12 pm

Leisure wrote:Hilarious.
New batteries in your alarm?

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Thu May 23, 2019 2:29 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Loan ends and returns to WBA.

They need players off the books and he has a 16m release clause.

Has proven again this season he is a good premier league striker.
Quick. Physical and technically good. Can score in and out of the box. With both feet and head. Would be a perfect signing for our style.

Should have at least 3 years left at this level and 16m would be a snip. Especially of we can offload Wells, Vydra and Crouch!
Suggested exactly this on the 'Transfers Targets' thread last week......

Better than anything we have. Big, strong and mobile. Much better option than Rodriguez. Assume we could afford his wages if Newcastle could.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu May 23, 2019 2:42 pm

Not for me, I like him, but realistically how long has he got his pace and power for? Hes very similar to our Ashley, ( and to some extent Wood ) and if we were going to pay 15m out, I'd rather ( personally) go for someone that gives us something different, like blistering pace/poacher.

We dont seem to have much of a plan B regards the top 2 when behind, if the current top 2 have been nullified.

I really, really like the look of Adam's, but maybe even Vydra might get more minutes if we can find a winger & CM that compliments his style.

But we keep bringing upneeding/wanting forwards and stracking wingers/midfielders but goals have been quite regular for the amount of chances we create, so not sure whether we aim to be more clinical with the current supply, ( buy a forward ) or increase the amount of quality and chances we create ( buy a creator or 2 )

Big summer ahead for us, as we are getting to the stage where the next batch of players need bringing in for the ageing ones, or those that are just doing a job without pulling up trees.

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Thu May 23, 2019 2:50 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:New batteries in your alarm?
Yeap, them with the bunnies.

Chuckypad
Been Liked: 146 times
Has Liked: 274 times

Post by Chuckypad » Thu May 23, 2019 3:40 pm

I'd take him in a breath - Proper centre forward

I expect there'll be stiff competition for his signature though, and that other clubs would simply blow us out of the water with wages

Goobs
Been Liked: 1459 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Goobs » Thu May 23, 2019 3:44 pm

Whilst Rondon would be a decent signing (we won't get him even if interested) I would prefer to keep Wood and Barnes and be looking for a young player who can become similar or better than Rondon (possibly Adams at Birmingham? or Maupay at Brentford?)
This user liked this post: AfloatinClaret

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3845 times
Has Liked: 2066 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu May 23, 2019 3:55 pm

Rondon is the best CF of his type in the league. He will go to a bigger club than us unfortunately.

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Thu May 23, 2019 4:25 pm

Be a good signing I reckon. But Newcastle would be crazy not to sign him.

moaninclaret
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by moaninclaret » Thu May 23, 2019 5:20 pm

He wouldn't be interested in signing for the Clarets, he will probably sign for Newcastle and get a much bigger pay packet, having said that £15mill for Dawson or around the same for Rondon, i know who i would sooner have in my team.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu May 23, 2019 6:52 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:Suggested exactly this on the 'Transfers Targets' thread last week......

Better than anything we have. Big, strong and mobile. Much better option than Rodriguez. Assume we could afford his wages if Newcastle could.
Said exactly same last year too. Pretty much what you said above.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu May 23, 2019 6:53 pm

Goobs wrote:Whilst Rondon would be a decent signing (we won't get him even if interested) I would prefer to keep Wood and Barnes and be looking for a young player who can become similar or better than Rondon (possibly Adams at Birmingham? or Maupay at Brentford?)
Dont disagree. But if we were to ship crouch vydra and wells and bring rondon in i would argue we start next season stronger on the pitch and probably no poorer off it.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1459 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Goobs » Thu May 23, 2019 8:33 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Dont disagree. But if we were to ship crouch vydra and wells and bring rondon in i would argue we start next season stronger on the pitch and probably no poorer off it.
That's probably true, but we would then need at least another striker to offer pace and skill and a youngster as number 5 striker just in case.

Would prefer a Maupay or Adams who would be on a lot less than Rondon and keep Vydra (provided he doesn't push for a move). I would expect that to be more likely as well.

No doubting though that Rondon is quality and would certainly fit in with how we play.

Il Duce
Been Liked: 71 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Il Duce » Thu May 23, 2019 8:37 pm

He would be a great addition, though as many have said I guess there will be a number in the queue ahead of us.

Longsider
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 722 times

Post by Longsider » Thu May 23, 2019 8:41 pm

Wolves bound I've heard.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4071 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Thu May 23, 2019 9:08 pm

MACCA wrote:Not for me, I like him, but realistically how long has he got his pace and power for? Hes very similar to our Ashley, ( and to some extent Wood ) and if we were going to pay 15m out, I'd rather ( personally) go for someone that gives us something different, like blistering pace/poacher.

We dont seem to have much of a plan B regards the top 2 when behind, if the current top 2 have been nullified.

I really, really like the look of Adam's, but maybe even Vydra might get more minutes if we can find a winger & CM that compliments his style.

But we keep bringing upneeding/wanting forwards and stracking wingers/midfielders but goals have been quite regular for the amount of chances we create, so not sure whether we aim to be more clinical with the current supply, ( buy a forward ) or increase the amount of quality and chances we create ( buy a creator or 2 )

Big summer ahead for us, as we are getting to the stage where the next batch of players need bringing in for the ageing ones, or those that are just doing a job without pulling up trees.
For £15m, you can have blistering pace.

For £15m, you can get a poacher.

For £15m, I’m afraid you can’t have both.

In fact, for £15m, you can’t get an awful lot. Hell, £15m wouldn’t even get you Chris Wood, and without wishing to be horrible to the lad, he doesn’t actually fit EITHER of those requirements.

If we want blistering pace and the ability to score goals, £40m minimum, and that won’t be happening anytime soon. We will have to buy potential, or unproven. Personally, I’d leave the 3 (4) forwards as they are and concentrate on putting a ball winner with vision and a pass (the creator you mention) in the centre of the park, but that’s probably gonna cost £30m+.

£30m + players will probably go elsewhere.
This user liked this post: BertiesBeehole

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Thu May 23, 2019 9:35 pm

Prefer his brother, Daddoo.
These 5 users liked this post: addisclaret Spijed mkmel LawsCanalJump Buxtonclaret

mkmel
Been Liked: 1270 times
Has Liked: 2234 times

Post by mkmel » Thu May 23, 2019 10:02 pm

Trying to be too clever there funky :lol:
This user liked this post: Funkydrummer

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Thu May 23, 2019 10:09 pm

mkmel wrote:Trying to be too clever there funky :lol:
Pathetic, I know, but worth a shot. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This user liked this post: mkmel

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu May 23, 2019 10:37 pm

bobinho wrote:For £15m, you can have blistering pace.

In fact, for £15m, you can’t get an awful lot. Hell, £15m wouldn’t even get you Chris Wood, and without wishing to be horrible to the lad, he doesn’t actually fit EITHER of those requirements.

If we want blistering pace and the ability to score goals, £40m minimum, and that won’t be happening anytime soon. We will have to buy potential, or unproven. Personally, I’d leave the 3 (4) forwards as they are and concentrate on putting a ball winner with vision and a pass (the creator you mention) in the centre of the park, but that’s probably gonna cost £30m+.

don't necessarily agree. But clearly its harder. But there are bargains and gambles. Especially abroad. Zapata who we were linked with in the last two windows has both. Seem to recall the fee was around £13m Napoli wanted. But ended up on loan at Udinese (followed by Sampdoria the year after) Went on loan AGAIN this year. And scored 22 for Atalanta. Double figures three years running in Serie A. He is due to go back on loan once again but Samp who now own him are open to selling him for around the fee we were linked with him at 2 years ago!

To think 15m is nothing though. Its another world! My dad still has the clipping from when Shearer broke Ronaldos record and went to Newcastle for that fee because he was that amazed by it. In fact we both thought it would never be beaten. Ronaldo himself broke it the next year.

Pretty much every club in the premier league has now beat the shearer price.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Fri May 24, 2019 1:06 am

We won't be able to compete with other suitors.

But whilst Rondon is a better target man then Wood, fact is Woods overall goal scoring record is better. Their stats are similar last season, but Wood's are much better for 17/18. Indeed Rondon was basically a 1 in 4 man in each of his two seasons at WBA - and his limitations in front of goal were regularly noted.

Whilst Rondon has qualities, and Wood his own limitations, I suspect there are quite a few neutrals who would question the logic of swapping Wood for an apparently inferior goal scorer - particularly when Wood is 27 and Rondon is more than 2 years over at 29 (30 in September).

There's definitely an argument we under appreciate what we have in that department.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri May 24, 2019 6:12 am

claretspice wrote:We won't be able to compete with other suitors.

But whilst Rondon is a better target man then Wood, fact is Woods overall goal scoring record is better. Their stats are similar last season, but Wood's are much better for 17/18. Indeed Rondon was basically a 1 in 4 man in each of his two seasons at WBA - and his limitations in front of goal were regularly noted.

Whilst Rondon has qualities, and Wood his own limitations, I suspect there are quite a few neutrals who would question the logic of swapping Wood for an apparently inferior goal scorer - particularly when Wood is 27 and Rondon is more than 2 years over at 29 (30 in September).

There's definitely an argument we under appreciate what we have in that department.
Rondon is a much greater all round player than Wood though. Apart from his goals Wood doesn't offer us much else. If we're going to carry on playing direct I'd say Rondon is perfectly suited to us.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4071 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Fri May 24, 2019 7:12 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:don't necessarily agree. But clearly its harder. But there are bargains and gambles. Especially abroad. Zapata who we were linked with in the last two windows has both. Seem to recall the fee was around £13m Napoli wanted. But ended up on loan at Udinese (followed by Sampdoria the year after) Went on loan AGAIN this year. And scored 22 for Atalanta. Double figures three years running in Serie A. He is due to go back on loan once again but Samp who now own him are open to selling him for around the fee we were linked with him at 2 years ago!
I hear that, and I’d be inclined to have a serious look at him. Trouble is you are quoting figures from a market we won’t/don’t tap. My figures are based on UK players, cos that’s where we always seem to do our business.

I’d like is to broaden our horizons a little, but we seem reluctant to do so. Frustrating when there’s so much talent in Europe and Africa.

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Fri May 24, 2019 7:16 am

Rondon appears to be playing at the top of his game, little room for improvement on what he offers. Wood continues to get better each season he's in the prem and shows no sign that he's hit his peak. I'm happy Wood will be a better player again next season.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Fri May 24, 2019 7:24 am

bobinho wrote:For £15m, you can have blistering pace.

I meant the / as an either or

But agree with the looking at other areas and the supply line to the front men

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Fri May 24, 2019 7:31 am

jrgbfc wrote:Rondon is a much greater all round player than Wood though. Apart from his goals Wood doesn't offer us much else. If we're going to carry on playing direct I'd say Rondon is perfectly suited to us.
Even if that were true about Wood's game, the caveat "save for goals" is quite a big one, given we're talking about strikers here - particularly in a team like ours which tends to rely heavily on its strikers rather than midfielders for goals. And actually I don't think that is a fair assessment of Wood's all round game - apart from anything else I lost count of the number of bits of analysis we as in the second half of the season of both our two strikers linking up and causing defenders problems in general play.

Interestingly, I've just seen a list of the top 10 and bottom ten most clinical finishers, statistically, in the league last season. Neither Wood nor Barnes feature in either list, but Rondon is in the bottom 10.

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Fri May 24, 2019 7:41 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:don't necessarily agree. But clearly its harder. But there are bargains and gambles. Especially abroad. Zapata who we were linked with in the last two windows has both. Seem to recall the fee was around £13m Napoli wanted. But ended up on loan at Udinese (followed by Sampdoria the year after) Went on loan AGAIN this year. And scored 22 for Atalanta. Double figures three years running in Serie A. He is due to go back on loan once again but Samp who now own him are open to selling him for around the fee we were linked with him at 2 years ago!
At the level of budget we're dealing with, it's difficult to find a bargain. It's generally a gamble that turns out to be a bargain if it pays off. If it doesn't, with the limits of our resources, it's then means we've got to work to get our money back suffering as little loss as possible. We can only tie so much of a percentage of our budget up in this way.
Second, there must be some underlying reason that a player who is performing like he is continues to be loaned out.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri May 24, 2019 8:45 am

bobinho wrote:I hear that, and I’d be inclined to have a serious look at him. Trouble is you are quoting figures from a market we won’t/don’t tap. My figures are based on UK players, cos that’s where we always seem to do our business.

I’d like is to broaden our horizons a little, but we seem reluctant to do so. Frustrating when there’s so much talent in Europe and Africa.
100% agree

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri May 24, 2019 8:47 am

claretspice wrote:Even if that were true about Wood's game, the caveat "save for goals" is quite a big one, given we're talking about strikers here - particularly in a team like ours which tends to rely heavily on its strikers rather than midfielders for goals. And actually I don't think that is a fair assessment of Wood's all round game - apart from anything else I lost count of the number of bits of analysis we as in the second half of the season of both our two strikers linking up and causing defenders problems in general play.

Interestingly, I've just seen a list of the top 10 and bottom ten most clinical finishers, statistically, in the league last season. Neither Wood nor Barnes feature in either list, but Rondon is in the bottom 10.
Its not like its a huge difference.

Wood has 20 over the last two years. Rondon 18.

Rondon got more this season, Wood last.
Last edited by cricketfieldclarets on Fri May 24, 2019 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri May 24, 2019 8:50 am

No Ney Never wrote: Second, there must be some underlying reason that a player who is performing like he is continues to be loaned out.
Don't disagree ordinarily. But its very common in Italy. Lots of co-ownership used to go on and even corruption. But its actually a pretty successful model. Like Chelsea have done with their players on loan.

Zapata isn't good enough to be regular first pick at Napoli. Or wasn't at least. But they can make money loaning him out and if he does well can cash in even more.

His record (and our apparent previous interest) suggest he is the sort of gamble worth taking for us.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Fri May 24, 2019 9:02 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Its not like its a huge difference.

Wood has 20 over the last two years. Rondon 18.

Rondon got more this season, Wood last.
In both seasons Rondon played more games, which you've ignored for whatever reason. In that context it becomes a pretty significant difference.

Wood's goals to games ratio in the premier league knocks spots of Rondon's.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri May 24, 2019 9:14 am

claretspice wrote:In both seasons Rondon played more games, which you've ignored for whatever reason. In that context it becomes a pretty significant difference.

Wood's goals to games ratio in the premier league knocks spots of Rondon's.
I didn't. But I agree. When you look at it, it does make a big difference.

Wood played 38 scored 10.

Rondon Played 32 scored 11.
Attachments
Wood.JPG
Wood.JPG (13.13 KiB) Viewed 3503 times
Rondon.JPG
Rondon.JPG (12.94 KiB) Viewed 3503 times
This user liked this post: fusco

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri May 24, 2019 9:18 am

Now taking overall contribution into play.

Rondon. More goals. At a better ratio. And with significantly more assists.
Attachments
Wood.JPG
Wood.JPG (110.35 KiB) Viewed 3489 times
Rondon.JPG
Rondon.JPG (119.57 KiB) Viewed 3489 times

WestMidsClaret
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 506 times

Post by WestMidsClaret » Fri May 24, 2019 9:21 am

Plus Rondon is a better player then Wood imo.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Fri May 24, 2019 9:25 am

now you've counted every sub appearance as though it were a start, which is nothing if not misleading.

So let's use minutes on the pitch last season. Rondon scored his goals every 237 minutes on the pitch, Wood every 255. So pretty darn similar. The year before is obviously very different, with Wood's record vastly superior.

And as I noted earlier, it would appear that Wood's conversion rate is better than Rondom's, who h wasn't very good even last season.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri May 24, 2019 9:25 am

For whatever reason, there are some posters on here who will never give Wood any credit come what may!

He could score 50 goals next season and it simply won't be enough for some.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri May 24, 2019 9:40 am

Newcastle fans thought he was shite before Xmas.

He's done well since like but I'm not a fan

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri May 24, 2019 9:49 am

Spijed wrote:For whatever reason, there are some posters on here who will never give Wood any credit come what may!

He could score 50 goals next season and it simply won't be enough for some.
Im a fan of wood. And think him and barnes are an excellent partnership

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri May 24, 2019 9:50 am

claretspice wrote:now you've counted every sub appearance as though it were a start, which is nothing if not misleading.

So let's use minutes on the pitch last season. Rondon scored his goals every 237 minutes on the pitch, Wood every 255. So pretty darn similar. The year before is obviously very different, with Wood's record vastly superior.

And as I noted earlier, it would appear that Wood's conversion rate is better than Rondom's, who h wasn't very good even last season.
You cant have it both ways.

To coin a phrase, Rondons record - not even with assists knocks spots off Woods.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Fri May 24, 2019 10:03 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:You cant have it both ways.

To coin a phrase, Rondons record - not even with assists knocks spots off Woods.
I'm not having anything both ways.

And leaving aside assists - which rarely show the worth of a centre forward's link up game - I'm not sure how on earth you can reach that conclusion on their goal scoring records. But if you have, then good for you.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Fri May 24, 2019 10:33 am

Think I have read he has a £16m buyout clause.
At that price he is falling into the bargain category.
He’s a good player in this league and for the right team he could be very influential - not just by the traditional statistics of goals and assists where he’s probably not going to be prolific but in his overall play - link up, pace and strength in air.
Any centre forward who gives defences the kind of problems Rondon regularly does is going to mean that team has more chances to score - directly or indirectly.

Would love to sign him as he is a better player than any of our forwards and he’s within our transfer spend price bracket - sadly I could see him playing for at least half a dozen teams with far bigger budgets than us.
Personally I think he would improve Spurs’ squad, and would improve the first team of West Ham, Everton, Watford (given Deeney’s age) and many more clubs in our division.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Fri May 24, 2019 10:48 am

Interesting comparing their "efficiency"

Rondon scored his 11 goals from 89 shots
Wood scored his 10 goals from 59 shots
Barnes scored his 12 goals from 65 shots

It's obviously difficult to look at in isolation but for a club like us who don't create many shooting opportunities it is something to consider (obviously it may be that the club tactics, as I believe I've heard they are, are to not waste chances and only shoot when there is a good chance of a goal which may mean Rondon's stats would change).

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Fri May 24, 2019 11:10 am

Rondon does seem to hit the woodwork quite a lot - not seen the stats of how many times - night just be a perception.
Rondon is encouraged to go for the spectacular more I think - probably because he is capable of it but also maybe because he finds himself isolated on his own and his only option maybe to have a go. I don’t see him missing anymore good or simple chances particularly than Wood or Barnes.