Our best ever away support ?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Re: Our best ever away support ?

Post by TVC15 » Sat May 25, 2019 1:39 pm

I missed York because of having to work away. Would have loved to have been at that game and also would loved to have been at the play off away wins at Reading and Plymouth.

But count myself very lucky to be at Derby “we want more fog” ; Preston Sherpa Van ; Carlisle when we going for promotion ; Chelsea win in the cup ; 2-2 v shelf United in the cup and in the directors section as a young lad for the Liverpool milk cup semi final.
All brilliant for different reasons...even though we didn’t win any of these games in full time !!

I suppose the play off final win was technically an away game too !

I was there for our 1-0 victory v Leicester at their new ground - we were the first team to pick up a point let alone win there. Also loved Spurs away in cup when Les Thompson I think got sent off.

Had some great away days at Stockport, Lincoln, Darlington (1-1 floodlight climber game !). We were only talking amongst a few of us yesterday about a couple of great days at Wrexham - the 6-2 victory was one of them.

Too many to mention - when you were young and we didn’t have the best team in the world our away trips were more about the day and being with mates than the result which we came to expect was going to be probably not winning !!

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3341 times
Has Liked: 1960 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sat May 25, 2019 1:46 pm

TVC15 wrote:I missed York because of having to work away. Would have loved to have been at that game and also would loved to have been at the play off away wins at Reading and Plymouth.

But count myself very lucky to be at Derby “we want more fog” ; Preston Sherpa Van ; Carlisle when we going for promotion ; Chelsea win in the cup ; 2-2 v shelf United in the cup and in the directors section as a young lad for the Liverpool milk cup semi final.
All brilliant for different reasons...even though we didn’t win any of these games in full time !!

I suppose the play off final win was technically an away game too !

I was there for our 1-0 victory v Leicester at their new ground - we were the first team to pick up a point let alone win there. Also loved Spurs away in cup when Les Thompson I think got sent off.

Had some great away days at Stockport, Lincoln, Darlington (1-1 floodlight climber game !). We were only talking amongst a few of us yesterday about a couple of great days at Wrexham - the 6-2 victory was one of them.

Too many to mention - when you were young and we didn’t have the best team in the world our away trips were more about the day and being with mates than the result which we came to expect was going to be probably not winning !!
Just on the Spurs game, was it not Darren Caskey who was sent off in an incident involving Thompson?

Chelsea away tops them all I think for me.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat May 25, 2019 2:42 pm

Halifax was always entertaining.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sat May 25, 2019 3:29 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:Just on the Spurs game, was it not Darren Caskey who was sent off in an incident involving Thompson?

Chelsea away tops them all I think for me.
Yep you maybe right - all I remember from that game was Les Thompson being involved in something. The trip was more memorable for Spurs fans chasing us down the road and referring to us as Barnsley fans and also for without a doubt the worst hotel we have ever stopped in on seven sisters road...think it was £12.50 a night and we were still ripped off !!
This user liked this post: Bordeauxclaret

bob-the-scutter
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by bob-the-scutter » Sat May 25, 2019 3:50 pm

Claretforever wrote:This thread covered quite a lot of our large ones.

We took over 20,000 to a Ewood Park for an FA Cup quarter final around 1913. That’s probably our largest following anywhere outside neutral venues I’d suggest?

http://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboar ... 4&start=50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And most walked there along the canal.
And no, I wasn't there. :P

Cajun
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Cajun » Sat May 25, 2019 4:49 pm

Trouble posting so apologies if appears more than once. York 92 special for me as I was living in York then. But I always recall the reason that game took place on the night it did - original game in February called off because of death of young player Ben Lee in accident at the Turf.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sat May 25, 2019 6:36 pm

Sheffield Wednesday 1972
Preston 1973
Spurs 1982
Chester 1986 for the wrong reasons, Buchan resigned
Mansfield promotion season under Mullen
Sherpa van final
Stockport play off final
CHELSEA 2008
Sheffield United play off final
Preston last promotion
Bournemouth this season
This user liked this post: joey13

Transpennine
Been Liked: 157 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by Transpennine » Sat May 25, 2019 8:08 pm

Cubanclaret wrote:I actually watched the Burnley fans at Derby after the Derby Cup defeat from the main stand. And stayed in there until the players re-emerged from the tunnel.
There were a few Derby bods about fully appreciating our support. It was a very proud moment after a decade of strife. We were on our way back and that scene helped propel us on to achieving promotion.
Chelsea away the cup was the most intense unrelenting atmosphere I think I’ve been part of. 6100 for a midweek match. And you’d have to say the fans helped the team over the line that night. Epic.
Chelsea away for me. Over 6000 on a Tuesday night. We completely took over Covent garden, there were thousands dancing in the street and tourists filming us on their phones singing No Nay Never.

Then we won, and me and my mate (an Udders fan) missed the last train back to Leeds due to my excessive celebrating from a the window of a taxi. Ended up sharing a bed in a kings cross hostel that sold rooms by the hour... buts that's another tale....

mkmel
Been Liked: 1271 times
Has Liked: 2250 times

Post by mkmel » Sat May 25, 2019 8:23 pm

Yes the away game at Leicester about 4 seasons ago where the atmosphere especially in the 2nd half was a joy to behold

97th minute equalizer from a Ross Wallace free kick

The amount of added time was due to an injury to Kieran Trippier and when Tripps was being carried off on a stretcher the Leicester fans were booing him

Wallace's goal shut them up

Great atmosphere

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3863 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat May 25, 2019 9:16 pm

I forgot about Mansfield away in 92.

It was all ticket which wasn't that common back then and I purchased one expecting my mates to get one, they didn't and I sprung it on my dad about 10am (I was only 14) that I had a ticket but no way of getting there.
He drove me down despite not being a Burnley fan and missed kick off as about 150 Burnley fans had gone down without tickets. The police put them down the side in the home end but lucky enough we got a ticket off someone who wanted to go in with his mates.
Great atmosphere and 3 points.
Even managed to avoid all the trouble afterwards.

claret wizard
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by claret wizard » Sun May 26, 2019 9:55 am

Been to lots mentioned already.

Plymouth play off win.
Sheffield Utd in the FA Cup.
Reading play off win.
Preston with Joey’s goal.
Wembley play off wins.
Leicester with Ross’ equaliser.
Chelsea in League Cup.
Liverpool Milk Cup Semi.
Blackburn when Ings scores.
Leicester when we first away team to win.
Shrewsbury away with John Bond.
Blackpool at Easter.
Aberdeen.
Even Bournemouth this season!

Couple I’ve not seen mentioned.

Istanbul, furthest competitive game we’ve played and just weird arriving in the City seeing the street full of Burnley fans and flags. Not a great game but felt we’d made it into Europe proper after our Anglo first round.
Chelsea in the Premier League win. Beating the Premier League holders on their own ground was a special day.

But my fav goes to the Charlton game, actually winning the League is a big deal, the whole atmosphere that day was special. The Barrow Boy and Banker in Borough was crazy post match, and that was miles away from the ground!
This user liked this post: Bop

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun May 26, 2019 10:39 am

One not mentioned is watford fa cup under stan.

Pheonomensl turn out. Probably forgotten because of the abysmal performance.

Went down without tickets. My dad and uncle insisted we took theirs and theyd get one. We didnt want to but they were certain theyd get in and they did.

Great turnout. Awful game.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun May 26, 2019 10:40 am

Some great followings at bradford early part of the 2000s too.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2005 times
Has Liked: 3346 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun May 26, 2019 11:32 am

claret wizard wrote:Been to lots mentioned already.

Plymouth play off win.
Sheffield Utd in the FA Cup.
Reading play off win.
Preston with Joey’s goal.
Wembley play off wins.
Leicester with Ross’ equaliser.
Chelsea in League Cup.
Liverpool Milk Cup Semi.
Blackburn when Ings scores.
Leicester when we first away team to win.
Shrewsbury away with John Bond.
Blackpool at Easter.
Aberdeen.
Even Bournemouth this season!

Couple I’ve not seen mentioned.

Istanbul, furthest competitive game we’ve played and just weird arriving in the City seeing the street full of Burnley fans and flags. Not a great game but felt we’d made it into Europe proper after our Anglo first round.
Chelsea in the Premier League win. Beating the Premier League holders on their own ground was a special day.

But my fav goes to the Charlton game, actually winning the League is a big deal, the whole atmosphere that day was special. The Barrow Boy and Banker in Borough was crazy post match, and that was miles away from the ground!
The Barrow Boy and Borough Market were bouncing BEFORE that Charlton match too! As were loads of pubs both sides of the river tbh. It was a brilliant day out and really sunny meaning I was absolutely bloody roasting as I'd left home at 4.00 a.m. and was classically "over togged" as they say!! The only other down side was the tit who set a smoke bomb off in the ground and then threw it under my seat and even though I evacuated asap I smelled awful and like I'd been far too close to the Lowerhouse bonfire the rest of the day!

BigRedrose
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by BigRedrose » Sun May 26, 2019 11:51 am

Dark Cloud wrote:The Barrow Boy and Borough Market were bouncing BEFORE that Charlton match too! As were loads of pubs both sides of the river tbh. It was a brilliant day out and really sunny meaning I was absolutely bloody roasting as I'd left home at 4.00 a.m. and was classically "over togged" as they say!! The only other down side was the tit who set a smoke bomb off in the ground and then threw it under my seat and even though I evacuated asap I smelled awful and like I'd been far too close to the Lowerhouse bonfire the rest of the day!
I've news for you Dark Cloud, you always smell like that.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2005 times
Has Liked: 3346 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun May 26, 2019 11:54 am

BigRedrose wrote:I've news for you Dark Cloud, you always smell like that.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Well I know the tit with the smoke bomb wasn't you because you were in the pub after 65 minutes of the match!!

claret wizard
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by claret wizard » Sun May 26, 2019 12:58 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:The Barrow Boy and Borough Market were bouncing BEFORE that Charlton match too! As were loads of pubs both sides of the river tbh.
I was in the Bunch of Grapes pre match and it was full of Clarets.

Post match Barrow Boy video.

https://vimeo.com/165745474" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: joey13