REVIEW: It all started last July in Scotland

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32530 times
Has Liked: 5277 times

REVIEW: It all started last July in Scotland

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 24, 2019 1:39 pm

2018/19 season review

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/it-all-star ... n-scotland" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also got all the tickets (as usual)
http://www.uptheclarets.com/tickets/tic ... son-201819" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and also the return of the programme pages with this season's kicking it off
http://www.uptheclarets.com/programmes-season-201819" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Re: REVIEW: It all started last July in Scotland

Post by No Ney Never » Sat May 25, 2019 6:43 am

Thanks for that Tony.
Would be great if Barnes and Wood each achieve double figures again next season. Even better would be JBG, Westwood, McNeill and Hendrick achieving 5 apiece.
With no early start to the season and a fully refreshed defence back to its best, there's plenty to get excited about the new season.
All I want is to not loose anyone from the back, bring in one for midfield and one up front who can give us an extra dimension to what we have and I'll be a very happy Claret.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Sat May 25, 2019 7:37 am

Good resume CT but who is this O'Neill who helped to make a difference-must have been quick as I never saw him. :lol: :lol: :lol:

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat May 25, 2019 12:05 pm

No Ney Never wrote:Thanks for that Tony.
Would be great if Barnes and Wood each achieve double figures again next season. Even better would be JBG, Westwood, McNeill and Hendrick achieving 5 apiece.
With no early start to the season and a fully refreshed defence back to its best, there's plenty to get excited about the new season.
All I want is to not loose anyone from the back, bring in one for midfield and one up front who can give us an extra dimension to what we have and I'll be a very happy Claret.
It's incredible to think that 18 of those 22 goals scored by Barnes & Wood were in the second half of the season. They really are a good partnership for us. We do need goals coming from elsewhere but I think there is a lot to look forward to next season.

bodge
Been Liked: 729 times
Has Liked: 475 times

Post by bodge » Sat May 25, 2019 12:12 pm

I think Dwight will contribute a decent amount, if he is involved throughout the season and stays injury free.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat May 25, 2019 12:21 pm

bodge wrote:I think Dwight will contribute a decent amount, if he is involved throughout the season and stays injury free.
He’s done far better than anyone could have expected coming into a team. Even when he’s had a poor game, he’s come back next game with a good performance.

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 610 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Sat May 25, 2019 4:18 pm

Great review.

It really has been a brilliant season IMO. To recover the way we did, in many ways surpassed last season, where we seemed to be safe before Christmas then everyone was in autopilot.

I do think McNeils almost forced inclusion saved us though. I love watching him play, as I do Ashley Barnes for completely contrasting reasons...I just hope his one footedness doesn’t become a stick to beat him with in his second season. Remember it never stopped Ryan Giggs!

One thing I will say about Europe is at least Jimmy left us when we were back playing at the same level he took us to all those years ago before I was born. And for that reason alone it was a fruitful foray. He must have been so proud that we’d managed against all the odds to come full circle.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat May 25, 2019 4:21 pm

Winstonswhite wrote:Great review.

It really has been a brilliant season IMO. To recover the way we did, in many ways surpassed last season, where we seemed to be safe before Christmas then everyone was in autopilot.

I do think McNeils almost forced inclusion saved us though. I love watching him play, as I do Ashley Barnes for completely contrasting reasons...I just hope his one footedness doesn’t become a stick to beat him with in his second season. Remember it never stopped Ryan Giggs!

One thing I will say about Europe is at least Jimmy left us when we were back playing at the same level he took us to all those years ago before I was born. And for that reason alone it was a fruitful foray. He must have been so proud that we’d managed against all the odds to come full circle.
It was almost timing that he passed away just before a big European game and his funeral was just ahead of a game against Man U. One thing is for certain, he will never be forgotten.
This user liked this post: IanMcL

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11052 times
Has Liked: 5659 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat May 25, 2019 4:26 pm

excellent review and a great achievement to turn it around. This was your most telling part "We’d done it too with virtually last season’s squad. Other than Hart, who played in the first half of the season, our only signings had been Gibson and Matěj Vydra with Crouch coming in during January. None of them made much of a contribution in a season where we had more than our fair share of injuries.".
I hope that's a situation we can resolve this summer, the lads work incredibly hard and need some help !