Big news ? New deal for Pope

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Re: Big news ? New deal for Pope

Post by Funkydrummer » Fri May 24, 2019 8:57 pm

He just been on Question of Sport.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Fri May 24, 2019 8:59 pm

KRBFC wrote:I think he's our best keeper, it's just so tough on Heaton to drop him after the form he showed. I wonder if this is to potentially sell him for more? I didn't think so when I read Pope's comments but Dyche saying “We have always said we want to be strong in the market and that includes when it comes to other clubs trying to get our players.'' maybe i've misinterpreted what he meant though.
Dyche clearly means by him signing a new contract it is more likely other clubs won't be able to sign him and at the very least we'd be able to exercise far more control.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri May 24, 2019 9:24 pm

taio wrote:Dyche clearly means by him signing a new contract it is more likely other clubs won't be able to sign him and at the very least we'd be able to exercise far more control.
Which is my point, is him signing a new deal so we can sell for a bigger fee? I wonder

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Fri May 24, 2019 9:47 pm

You have to protect your assets just like any business.

In football that means your best players need to have longevity of contract so that they command a bigger fee should the leave, whether they want to go or not.

Even a club the size of Chelsea can’t keep Hazard and with just a year left the fee will be much less than if he had 4 years left.

This is great news as I thought he would be going and it looks like a Heaton/Pope start to next season is absolutely perfect even if one of them gets disillusioned with being on the bench towards mid or end of next season. Nothing to suggest that will happen though and given the current international stature of both keepers this really emphasises how we are improving at premier league level on and off the pitch.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6891 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Fri May 24, 2019 10:21 pm

Spijed wrote:But if either Heaton or Pope sit on the bench for any period they'll want out as it will damage their careers.
I’m sure that both keepers will be confident that they are good enough to start games for Burnley. They wouldn’t be guaranteed a start at the majority of other Premier League clubs either. Maybe both keepers are happy to fight for their place.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6891 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Fri May 24, 2019 10:24 pm

jrgbfc wrote:OK let's say for arguments sake we start next season with Pope in goal. If you're Tom Heaton, with a good few years left in you yet are you happy to sit on the bench every week and relinquish your place in the England squad? I know I wouldn't be.
I would imagine the number one shirt is Heaton’s to lose so I don’t know why we would be starting next season with Pope in goal. If Heaton wants to guarantee starts he would probably have to drop down a division which would not exactly do wonders for his England career. That’s not to say that he isn’t good enough for other Premier League sides, just that at other clubs there is competition for places.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4069 times
Has Liked: 6535 times

Post by bobinho » Fri May 24, 2019 10:40 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:You have to protect your assets just like any business.

In football that means your best players need to have longevity of contract so that they command a bigger fee should the leave, whether they want to go or not.

Even a club the size of Chelsea can’t keep Hazard and with just a year left the fee will be much less than if he had 4 years left.

This is great news as I thought he would be going and it looks like a Heaton/Pope start to next season is absolutely perfect even if one of them gets disillusioned with being on the bench towards mid or end of next season. NOTHING TO SUGGEST THAT WILL HAPPEN THOUGH and given the current international stature of both keepers this really emphasises how we are improving at premier league level on and off the pitch.
I’m afraid one of them will HAVE to sit on the bench as we are only allowed to field one goalkeeper. Yep, I know, but that’s how it is. We just gotta suck it up.

When the season starts and one of them isn’t selected the other one of them will be rightly ****** off. Both PL keepers, and both will be unhappy sat on their arse every week. How is one of them being disillusioned come mid season perfect?

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri May 24, 2019 10:49 pm

Pope number 1 by season start!

A very confident decision, by the young man.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Fri May 24, 2019 11:14 pm

Absolutely brilliant news! Great stuff.

Next.... :-)

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sat May 25, 2019 8:01 am

bobinho wrote:I’m afraid one of them will HAVE to sit on the bench as we are only allowed to field one goalkeeper. Yep, I know, but that’s how it is. We just gotta suck it up.

When the season starts and one of them isn’t selected the other one of them will be rightly ****** off. Both PL keepers, and both will be unhappy sat on their arse every week. How is one of them being disillusioned come mid season perfect?
I think you may have misunderstood. It is perfect to start the season with our best two keepers. If they are tied down on a long contact then we get top dollar if one wants to go if they are not getting a game. Quite simple

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Sat May 25, 2019 8:28 am

Never saw this coming... in a very good way. Great twist.

Maybe they should have got SD to write season 8 of GOT.

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Sat May 25, 2019 12:20 pm

Tom does give us the added bonus of being a good captain and motivator...Its a really tough call to choose between Tom and Nick as I think both have positives and negatives in their game.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 293 times

Post by deanothedino » Sat May 25, 2019 12:29 pm

tim_noone wrote:They're professionals....they're on good wages and Know the score.were not talking about stroppy wannabes down Towneley :roll:
Yes, they're professionals who want to perform and advance their career. If you start losing responsibilities in your role at work do you stay? I know I wouldn't. It's not just about money, if there's no job satisfaction and opportunities are becoming limited then motivated people move on.

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Sat May 25, 2019 12:41 pm

We need to keep both keepers, Hart unfortunately hasn’t gelled with the players so it seems so him and ledgzins need to go.

There are surely enough games to play to use both keepers, maybe we can start to take the cups a bit more seriously and actually use the squad properly.

Rumbletonk
Been Liked: 313 times
Has Liked: 285 times

Post by Rumbletonk » Sat May 25, 2019 12:58 pm

Great news. Having 2 keepers of their quality and maintaining a happy squad is a superb display of man management. Obviously neither of them will starve to death but it shows Dyche has created an environment that players appreciate