Jon Walters video

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32405 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Jon Walters video

Post by ClaretTony » Sat May 25, 2019 11:59 am

Sometimes we think footballers aren't real people - Walters on his mum, brother, wife and daughter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2AMskOusDs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bodge
Been Liked: 729 times
Has Liked: 475 times

Re: Jon Walters video

Post by bodge » Sat May 25, 2019 12:10 pm

Blimey that's unbelievable what he had to deal with there, massive respect to him and hopefully he can find ways to make sense of it all.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat May 25, 2019 12:19 pm

He said something recently about his brother but to have to deal with all that at the same time is horrendous. And then on the back of all that his career came to an end with the Achilles injury.

I don’t know what his plans are but he comes across really well on tv. Seen him on Focus and in the Sky studio for live games.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sat May 25, 2019 1:15 pm

Wow - that was a hard watch.
Good on him for coming out and talking about these things which must be cathartic for himself but must also help others going through this.

Footballing wise he was so unlucky at Burnley. Never got the people criticising the signing. He had no previous record of serious injuries and had done more in this league than the rest of our team put together. For £3m I thought we had got a player who could play an important role for a couple of years and also help our other strikers develop.
This user liked this post: jtv

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 636 times

Post by Tribesmen » Sat May 25, 2019 10:56 pm

Yer heard about this on Friday night and hard to watch is a good way to sum it all up .

Did feel that Tubs should have let Jon talk instead of keep butting in all the time .

claretburns
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Post by claretburns » Sat May 25, 2019 11:08 pm

So tough for all that to happen in the same period along with as Tony says his career coming to an end as well.

Just goes to show when a player is not being picked or is out of form it is not just down to players being a "wasted wage" you have no idea what is going on in players personal lives.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2334 times
Has Liked: 1040 times

Post by Clarets4me » Sat May 25, 2019 11:20 pm

Tribesmen wrote:Yer heard about this on Friday night and hard to watch is a good way to sum it all up .
Did feel that Tubs should have let Jon talk instead of keep butting in all the time .
To be fair, I think the interviewer was giving him chances to opt out, should he wish to, as things seemed to be getting rather " raw ", and to his credit, he didn't !

All best wishes to JW, in whatever he decides to do ...

Bullabill
Been Liked: 302 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Post by Bullabill » Sun May 26, 2019 3:00 am

Tribesmen » ..........

"Did feel that Tubs should have let Jon talk instead of keep butting in all the time ."

I agree.

bumba
Been Liked: 681 times
Has Liked: 199 times

Post by bumba » Sun May 26, 2019 7:10 am

Hard watch but very interesting, good to see him open up and hope it makes a few on here regret there comments.

How he even carried on training during that is beyond me but he did an during that difficult time he had our European campaign to deal with leaving his family etc in a tough time to travel to places like Istanbul to represent our club.

Top man an even better professional, hope he succeeds in his next career

Blyclaret
Been Liked: 208 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Blyclaret » Sun May 26, 2019 8:08 am

Not wanting to sound cruel or anything
But hes 33 his mum died when he was 11
Thats 22 years .... thats a long time to be feeling like he does.
He obviously needs professional help ...
his wife in the audience as well looked like she has been through this whole scenario a good few times with him already.
Thats exactly what we have professional people with the training to help prople like John Walters get over grief.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun May 26, 2019 8:55 am

11 is no age to lose your mutha....he's Now unburdened himself...I'm sure he'll start to feel better for it.good luck to the Lad.

claretnproud
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by claretnproud » Sun May 26, 2019 10:14 am

Blyclaret wrote:Not wanting to sound cruel or anything
his wife in the audience as well looked like she has been through this whole scenario a good few times with him already.
Thats exactly what we have professional people with the training to help prople like John Walters get over grief.
in your early years stuff like this can have a profound effect on you. He has done well for himself through the adversity and has to a large extent put it in a box. As he says, he rarely talks about it but its still upsetting to talk about. Always comes across as a decent and intelligent bloke. good luck to him and his family.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun May 26, 2019 10:27 am

Its not all about the 11yr old who lost his Mum... perhaps you need to watch it ........

Losing his Brother, and his wife having a miscarriage within days of each other ... had a little bit to do with it too.

Blyclaret

Post by Blyclaret » Sun May 26, 2019 10:30 am

Yes agreed. And best wishes to him and his family.
But John needs professional help. And if he got it when he was 11 he would be in a much better place now.

Blyclaret

Post by Blyclaret » Sun May 26, 2019 10:30 am

Ive watched it.
It was the question about his mum that started him off

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Sun May 26, 2019 10:52 am

I think it depends what your grief is about and whilst you do get over many episodes, like the loss of a colleague, neighbour passing friends, there are those losses in your life where one learns to live with your grief which lessens with time but it is always there in the background and surfaces at the most inopportune times as events recall the sad memories that you think are locked away in your mind.
I manage my parents loss but I was 42 and they were ready to leave this mortal earth. JW lost a young mum when he was aged 11 and I can understand the lingering sadness-and for him it will be a forever event much as it is for a parent who loses a child whether that is a child child or adult child. In a relationsip one expects one person to be left behind but again the survivor depending upon their regard for their departed partner will come to terms rather than get over their loss.
Professional help is to that coming to terms with rather than getting over it.
I usually mange my blubs over my son's loss in the company of my understanding and equally saddened wife and after a few minutes we pick ourselves up and get on with our lives.
This user liked this post: spadesclaret

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 507 times
Has Liked: 1037 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sun May 26, 2019 12:54 pm

I’m 67, my father died when I was 14, a pivotal time in my life. 53 years on and there are still occasions when I slide back to those days and the effect that day had on the rest of my life. Sometimes it’s a really brief visit and sometimes it might last several minutes. Memories of that day and earlier are all I got to share with him. Some people have many years of memories to recall. Don’t try to minimise his loss because it happened 22 years ago. For many, the memories are heightened whenever you go through another loss, so two close together brings other similar events more sharply into focus.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat spadesclaret

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 27, 2019 11:33 am

That's how it is sometimes. I lost my cousin, who was like the big sister I never had, when I was 17 and she was 22. That's right, it was 50 years ago earlier this month. I've never got over it, I've just learned to live with it, but if someone were to ask me about her then I would get just as emotional as Jon Walters did in that interview. It's hard to deal with and time doesn't heal.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat spadesclaret

Blyclaret

Post by Blyclaret » Mon May 27, 2019 4:47 pm

I lost my mum dad and sister
Grief affect everybody differently.

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Mon May 27, 2019 5:14 pm

What a lovely fella Jon Walters is, so much going on in his life whilst trying to play football at the same time.
Wish him all the very best in his future career, as others have said he presents very well as a tv pundit.