European Election Results .. due from 10 p.m. Sunday night...,

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Re: European Election Results .. due from 10 p.m. Sunday night...,

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon May 27, 2019 9:03 am

Blackrod wrote:I didn’t vote as so fed up with it all. At least the Brexit Party will hold Juncker and the rest of the gravy train ( cue for some people in uproar over that term such as the resident troll) to account.

All this harking on about 2nd referendums will just damage British democracy even more. When do we stop having votes ? When everyone is satisfied with the result ? The public has spoken and May has failed to deliver what they want even though it was a difficult task. Hopefully a new person will. This election result reconfirms what the public want.
What does it confirm?

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon May 27, 2019 9:04 am

JohnMcGreal wrote:It was a bad night for Labour, but there's a really clear and obvious way they can outflank the Lib Dems/Greens/Chuk/SNP in a GE.

The pro-Remain parties are pledging to support a second referendum, which is winning them a lot of votes.

If Labour went a step further than that, and stood on a manifesto of revoking article 50 and remaining as a full member of the EU, they will leave the other parties for dust. Forget the second referendum. Obtain a clear and legitimate mandate to remain in the EU by winning enough seats in a general election to do just that.

I seriously doubt they'll have the courage to do it, but there's a big opportunity there for them if they're ready to take it.
And its too late for them now to claim they have always backed a 2nd ref, that field has been taken by the others.

Glad I'm not a Labour voter or strategist this morning. Or even a Conservative voter or strategist.

Whichever way they jump, they lose votes.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Mon May 27, 2019 9:06 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:And its too late for them now to claim they have always backed a 2nd ref, that field has been taken by the others.

Glad I'm not a Labour voter or strategist this morning. Or even a Conservative voter or strategist.

Maybe true but they need to limit the amount of votes they lose.
They only have one option now.
These 4 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret JohnMcGreal longsidepies nil_desperandum

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon May 27, 2019 9:10 am

They do, but the old man running it won't want to, and his support base will turn (like Ringo does on Brexiteers when they don't agree with him on British steel) and attack anyone who dares to question him.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Mon May 27, 2019 9:11 am

Absolutely incredible that some people believe it would be appropriate to permanently revoke Article 50.
These 2 users liked this post: Murger AndyClaret

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 438 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Mon May 27, 2019 9:16 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:And its too late for them now to claim they have always backed a 2nd ref, that field has been taken by the others.

Yep. 3 years of fence sitting has ended up pleasing nobody. Who would have thought.

You're right saying that they'll lose votes whichever way they go. But I'd argue that by being a bit of a soft leave party means they aren't convincing enough to attract leave voters, and they've also alienated people who want to remain.

If they came out as a proper remain party pledging to revoke and remain, they will lose a lot of their leave voters, but they'll make huge gains from remain ones.

Labour simply has to become the party of revoke and remain in order to survive. If they carry on sitting on the fence, they'll get a pasting at the next GE, and they'll deserve it.
Last edited by JohnMcGreal on Mon May 27, 2019 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Mon May 27, 2019 9:18 am

To completely revoke Article 50 would be as undemocratic as it gets, and would cause an absolute shitstorm.

JohnMcGreal

Post by JohnMcGreal » Mon May 27, 2019 9:18 am

taio wrote:Absolutely incredible that some people believe it would be appropriate to permanently revoke Article 50.
If a party won a general election on that ticket, what would be the problem? They will have been given a mandate from the public to do that. It's how things ought to be done in a parliamentary democracy such as ours.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon May 27, 2019 9:18 am

JohnMcGreal wrote:It was a bad night for Labour, but there's a really clear and obvious way they can outflank the Lib Dems/Greens/Chuk/SNP in a GE.

The pro-Remain parties are pledging to support a second referendum, which is winning them a lot of votes.

If Labour went a step further than that, and stood on a manifesto of revoking article 50 and remaining as a full member of the EU, they will leave the other parties for dust. Forget the second referendum. Obtain a clear and legitimate mandate to remain in the EU by winning enough seats in a general election to do just that.

I seriously doubt they'll have the courage to do it, but there's a big opportunity there for them if they're ready to take it.
Agree that would be the sensible and logical thing to do - unfortunately there are 2 big issues

1) the labour leader has wanted to leave Europe for many years...and his leadership team is largely incompetent and completely divided

2) when was the last time we saw anything logical and sensible in British politics ?!

But yep if they do come out to support revoking article 50 and remain it could be game on.....though it could also cause a volatility in the country we have not seen for many decades if we do not leave Europe.

It’s hard to seeing this ending well under any scenario.
This user liked this post: JohnMcGreal

JohnMcGreal

Post by JohnMcGreal » Mon May 27, 2019 9:19 am

Murger wrote:To completely revoke Article 50 would be as undemocratic as it gets, and would cause an absolute shitstorm.
How would it be undemocratic if people voted for it?

Murger

Post by Murger » Mon May 27, 2019 9:21 am

JohnMcGreal wrote:How would it be undemocratic if people voted for it?
Well seeing as the first vote hasn't been enacted, why should people pay attention to the 2nd?

JohnMcGreal

Post by JohnMcGreal » Mon May 27, 2019 9:22 am

Murger wrote:Well seeing as the first vote hasn't been enacted, why should people pay attention to the 2nd?
You haven't answered the question.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Mon May 27, 2019 9:29 am

Blackrod wrote:I didn’t vote as so fed up with it all. At least the Brexit Party will hold Juncker and the rest of the gravy train ( cue for some people in uproar over that term such as the resident troll) to account.

All this harking on about 2nd referendums will just damage British democracy even more. When do we stop having votes ? When everyone is satisfied with the result ? The public has spoken and May has failed to deliver what they want even though it was a difficult task. Hopefully a new person will. This election result reconfirms what the public want.
What the public want isn't at all clear, as demonstrated last night. The referendum of nearly three years ago is looking increasingly distant, and this isn't to say support for leave has lost it's puff, but that the narrow margin of victory can legitimately be called into question, and the public be asked to clarify their position. Let's see what the next Tory leader is able to accomplish (though with the same parliament, I can't honestly see whoever it ends up being able to come back with anything materially different to what May brought back.

taio

Post by taio » Mon May 27, 2019 9:32 am

JohnMcGreal wrote:If a party won a general election on that ticket, what would be the problem? They will have been given a mandate from the public to do that. It's how things ought to be done in a parliamentary democracy such as ours.
Because a party's manifesto incorporates multiple policy proposals. If Labour was to run it's manifesto based solely on revoking A50 without any other policy you may have a point. But that would never happen.

Murger

Post by Murger » Mon May 27, 2019 9:33 am

JohnMcGreal wrote:You haven't answered the question.
Why haven't I? People voted in the 2016 referendum to leave, it hasn't happened.
People voted in the 2017 GE for 2 parties that promised to deliver Brexit, it hasn't happened.
The Brexit Party won the single most seats in European elections, and now that isn't somehow good enough either. Do you see the pattern? The Remain FBPE crowd are lunatics.
This user liked this post: AndyClaret

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Mon May 27, 2019 9:34 am

A majority is a majority. It’s a bit like losing 11-10 in a match and wanting a replay because you still scored 10 goals and it was a close game.

Caballo
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 431 times

Post by Caballo » Mon May 27, 2019 9:36 am

JohnMcGreal wrote:If a party won a general election on that ticket, what would be the problem? They will have been given a mandate from the public to do that. It's how things ought to be done in a parliamentary democracy such as ours.
The problem for me would be general elections use fptp, a much smaller number of the electorate would therefore have overturned the referendum. Running on a ticket of re-running the referendum gives everyone the opportunity to have their say again.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Mon May 27, 2019 9:40 am

nil_desperandum wrote:I think you do it on the basis of what they campaigned on???
(And as I pointed out very early in this thread Labour's executive position has swung strongly in favour of a Confirmatory Vote recently (even Corbyn), so the total now backing remain and / or a People's Vote is about 55%. This seems to mirror recent opinion polls that have remain on 55%)
The strongest message here BTW is for Labour, whose members are overwhelmingly anti-brexit and whose "supporters" are anti-brexit (according to polls) by approx 3 to 1.
For all the spin Farage puts on it about his party being only 6 weeks old, the BP vote is effectively UKip (in a new guise) + a relatively small swing from other parties, mainly ERG type Tories.
The other story that the country and Conservatives in particular should be concerned about, is that both Scotland and Wales have sent out a strong message, and - even before their votes come in - one can predict that there will be a good remain majority in NI.
Mr Cameron - what a mess you've made.
You can't (well, you can but it's not very sensible) simultaneously say it's based on how they campaigned and then claim Labour in that camp (who didn't campaign 'Remain') based on some softer signals. That's exactly what Labour want - but then you end up with >100% because Labour signal both ways. Maybe now they'll change - although I don't believe Corbyn will give an unequivocal 'Remain' stance - but it can't be retrospective.

If you're claiming that Wales sent a clear message, you're just at the point of seeing what you want to. 36% Hard Leave, 42% Remain, 22% Who knows (theoretically Leave but I don't think either really know any more). On 37% turnout. That's not clear. That's an electorate about 40% of the size of the referendum who've jumped one way or the other. Layer on that the fact that this wasn't, even if many if us saw it that way, a plebiscite on the referendum and you're left with mush. Those who favour a second referendum will, of course, agree and say the only measure of that would be a second referendum.

Lots of people are reading these results in line with what they originally thought; Jacob Rees-Mogg is saying the message is clear that we must go for a 'No-deal' Brexit. It's really not.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon May 27, 2019 9:47 am

taio wrote:Absolutely incredible that some people believe it would be appropriate to permanently revoke Article 50.
Absolutely incredible that some people believe it would be appropriate to permanently leave on a "No Deal"

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon May 27, 2019 9:49 am

Blackrod wrote:A majority is a majority. It’s a bit like losing 11-10 in a match and wanting a replay because you still scored 10 goals and it was a close game.
Its worrying when more than one person is using the "1-0 YOU LOST GET OVER IT" style on here.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Mon May 27, 2019 9:49 am

You can take what you want from these results. Brexit are UKIP + who despite winning the most seats haven’t got more votes than the Remain bloc. However the votes for the Remain bloc were boosted by votes from EU citizens who are ineligible to vote in a Referendum. A very low turnout, UKIP gone, Change gone.

What group will Brexit sit with?

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon May 27, 2019 9:49 am

Caballo wrote:The problem for me would be general elections use fptp, a much smaller number of the electorate would therefore have overturned the referendum. Running on a ticket of re-running the referendum gives everyone the opportunity to have their say again.
Fine, but we need to find a way out of this.

Thats the bottom line.

taio

Post by taio » Mon May 27, 2019 9:50 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Absolutely incredible that some people believe it would be appropriate to permanently leave on a "No Deal"
Slightly less incredible because as it stands there's more democratic legitimacy for no deal than permanent revocation of A50. That said my view is that neither should happen without a proper democratic process.
These 2 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret nil_desperandum

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon May 27, 2019 9:53 am

taio wrote:Slightly less incredible because as it stands there's more democratic legitimacy for no deal than permanent revocation of A50. That said my view is that neither should happen without a proper democratic process.
Sound, 100% agree with the "democratic process bit", but there isn't anymore democratic legitimacy for a "No Deal" as no one* has voted for that either.

*Yes, I know some of you might well have, but thats not what was explicitly said on the ballot paper or by the campaigns before the vote.

taio

Post by taio » Mon May 27, 2019 9:56 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Sound, 100% agree with the "democratic process bit", but there isn't anymore democratic legitimacy for a "No Deal" as no one* has voted for that either.

*Yes, I know some of you might well have, but thats not what was explicitly said on the ballot paper or by the campaigns before the vote.
There is more legitimacy in my view. I know loads of people who voted to leave the EU on whatever terms including without a deal. Revoking A50 without a vote woukd be absolutely the most undemocratic thing that could occur.

Venkys4eva
Been Liked: 139 times
Has Liked: 183 times

Post by Venkys4eva » Mon May 27, 2019 9:57 am

The remain camp are looking at the results and lumping their vote together and still coming up short. They are then lumping in the labour votes and conservative votes and hey presto!

As much as I despise Jeremy Corbyn he’s not simple and he knows that if the party was to go into a general election on a mandate to revoke article 50 they would lose.

A second referendum would just divide the country again with an extremely low swing either way.

At the end of the day when the country is split in this way the only fair deal is a compromise and this can only be achieved by leaving the no deal brexit on the table when negotiating with the EU. This Irish backstop was nothing but a smokescreen devised in Brussels in collusion with remain politicians (including a little help from that eel Tony Blair). They knew that such a deal could never pass parliament effectively circumventing the referendum and once again imposing their will on people who voted against them.

Its a real mess but when parliamentarians go against the will of the people who voted for them it never ends well.
These 2 users liked this post: summitclaret tiger76

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon May 27, 2019 10:02 am

When people use simple maths and get it wrong as well it never ends well either.

Greens + LD + Change got more votes UK wide than Brexit + Ukip.

And yes, its a real mess and nothing suggests that anything currently being tried can sort it out.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon May 27, 2019 10:04 am

taio wrote:There is more legitimacy in my view. I know loads of people who voted to leave the EU on whatever terms including without a deal. Revoking A50 without a vote woukd be absolutely the most undemocratic thing that could occur.
Even under a manifesto commitment?

Not sure about that

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon May 27, 2019 10:05 am

This is quite staggering

In 2017, the Conservatives and Labour won 82.4% of the vote share.

In these European elections, the two main parties secured 23.1% of the vote share.

Fewer than one-in-four voters put in a tick in the box for one of two main parties.

taio

Post by taio » Mon May 27, 2019 10:05 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Even under a manifesto commitment?

Not sure about that
Less so, but yes for the reasons already mentioned.

Venkys4eva
Been Liked: 139 times
Has Liked: 183 times

Post by Venkys4eva » Mon May 27, 2019 10:07 am

Anyone who thinks Jeramy Corbyn could win a general election is deluded and anyone who thinks he could win one on a ticket revoking article 50 needs committing.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Mon May 27, 2019 10:11 am

taio wrote:Slightly less incredible because as it stands there's more democratic legitimacy for no deal than permanent revocation of A50. That said my view is that neither should happen without a proper democratic process.
The referendum question was "Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?". The majority voted Leave.

Are you saying that Remaining in the EU is the most democratic way to satisfy the result of the vote, which was for Leave?

There are (it seems) three options. 1 - Leave, full stop. 2 - Remain, full stop. 3 - Leave on May's deal which, which is the only area where all parties are agreed - everyone agrees the deal is rubbish. You could argue that numbers 1 or 3 would satisfy the referendum result, but not that number 2 would.

taio

Post by taio » Mon May 27, 2019 10:12 am

dsr wrote:The referendum question was "Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?". The majority voted Leave.

Are you saying that Remaining in the EU is the most democratic way to satisfy the result of the vote, which was for Leave?

There are (it seems) three options. 1 - Leave, full stop. 2 - Remain, full stop. 3 - Leave on May's deal which, which is the only area where all parties are agreed - everyone agrees the deal is rubbish. You could argue that numbers 1 or 3 would satisfy the referendum result, but not that number 2 would.
No - I'm saying revoking A50 to remain in the EU would be totally undemocratic
Last edited by taio on Mon May 27, 2019 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon May 27, 2019 10:12 am

I'm not sure that "Vote for us and we'll never let you vote again" is a vote-winner.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon May 27, 2019 10:20 am

dsr wrote:I'm not sure that "Vote for us and we'll never let you vote again" is a vote-winner.
Seems weird as that is your position

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Mon May 27, 2019 10:24 am

Last edited by If it be your will on Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon May 27, 2019 10:27 am

If it be your will wrote:Do that and Labour will lose all intellectual coherence, all democratic legitimacy, and would be rightfully wiped out in the next general election.
They have to do something though. They can't pretend that they are not hemorrhaging votes by sitting on the fence.

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Mon May 27, 2019 10:27 am

Your daily remainder that of the 50 marginal seats Labour have to win to get a majority, 35 of them are leave voting seats.

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/10 ... 6654369793" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by AndyClaret on Mon May 27, 2019 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Mon May 27, 2019 10:31 am

This sums it up nicely....
Attachments
D7kEuHxW4AYhXHg.jpg
D7kEuHxW4AYhXHg.jpg (79.95 KiB) Viewed 1929 times
4.PNG
4.PNG (385.12 KiB) Viewed 1940 times
Last edited by AndyClaret on Mon May 27, 2019 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: Quickenthetempo

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Mon May 27, 2019 10:32 am

Last edited by If it be your will on Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon May 27, 2019 10:34 am

Talking of right wing trolls, where is theroyaldyche and his Tommy Robinson support this morning?

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Mon May 27, 2019 10:34 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Talking of right wing trolls, where is theroyaldyche and his Tommy Robinson support this morning?
Busy trying to log on to PayPal to cover Tommeh’s lost deposit of 5 grand.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon May 27, 2019 10:35 am

If it be your will wrote:The last 30 Westminster opinion polls https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_p ... l_election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; show Labour leading in 25 and a tie in 5. Bizarre though you might think it is, Labour are currently on course for an overall majority!
I think its an open goal for the Conservatives if Labour continue to pretend their current strategy is working.

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Mon May 27, 2019 10:39 am

The Euro Elections have brought up a lot of talking points which people can interpret whichever way they want.

People can say the Brexit Party are just UKIP in disguise but I think that’s too simple an argument. In 2014 UKIP were seen my many to be to the “right” of the Tory party with many policies reflecting that and subsequently they have imploded and moved even further to the right.
The Brexit Party have been clever in running just a one issue campaign and have “parked their tanks” in real traditional Labour voting areas such as Barnsley, Bolsover and Blaenau Gwent appealing to leave voters hence them topping the vote and this is why in my opinion Labour face the biggest problem in how they deal with the Brexit issue. By trying to appease both sides they have appealed to none and lost votes to the Lib Dem’s and the Greens in Remain issues. It will be interesting if they finally come down on a second referendum/stop Brexit whether or not they lose those traditional Labour voters in a GE.
The Lib Dem’s won 20% because they campaigned on a clear message, the question is can they keep those voters in a GE my inclination is that they won’t as they were seen as a safe protest vote in the Euro Election.
Going forward the only way to deal with the Brexit issue in my opinion is to have another referendum but this time with a clear choice either leave on WTO or remain with both sides signing a pledge to honour the result.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon May 27, 2019 10:45 am

Nicked from twitter

"Many congratulations to Nigel Farage for being elected as an unelected EU bureaucrat."

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3952 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Mon May 27, 2019 10:52 am

I genuinely don't understand what you've written, or maybe you didn't intend to say what you wrote.
How can any government permanently revoke Article 50?
It's part of being in the EU, and if it's revoked in October to give us more time to chart our course forward, then there's absolutely no reason why a future government can't trigger it again. (Isn't that how democracy works, or am I missing something?)

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon May 27, 2019 10:56 am

It's more complicated than that.
The GE is generally won with anywhere near 40% of the vote, thats nowhere near as confirmatory as the 51% who voted for Bexit.
The only way to get a genuine legitimacy for Revoking Article 50 would be a second referendum, but there is still no democratic reason to hold that again. The results yesterday show that the country is still split down the middle, so nothing changed there. After all the negativity spouted about the effects of leaving. After the completely biased coverage of the BBC regarding Brexit. The country is still split. Why don't retainers ask themselves why despite all of this negativity to Leaving, the country is still split. Can they not recognise that nothing has changed.That People still want to leave despite the scaremongering.
The other point I'd like to make is IF the referendum was re-run, and remain won 50.1% to leave 49.9%, would you think that after 3 years of negative campaigning , that would give you legitimacy to overturn the first referendum. The thing is, if their was a massive outpouring from the public to hold this second vote, I wouldn't like it, BUT I couldn't argue against it. Only there isn't. The only people who want a second vote are Remainers, in and out of the HOC. That isn't justification for doing it, and it certainly isn't democratic.

taio

Post by taio » Mon May 27, 2019 10:58 am

nil_desperandum wrote:I genuinely don't understand what you've written, or maybe you didn't intend to say what you wrote.
How can any government permanently revoke Article 50?
It's part of being in the EU, and if it's revoked in October to give us more time to chart our course forward, then there's absolutely no reason why a future government can't trigger it again. (Isn't that how democracy works, or am I missing something?)
You are being pedantic to just disagree. The suggestion was that Labour should commit to revoking A50 to remain in the EU. It was absolutely said on the basis of long termism - the use of the word permanently was to reflect that this would not just be about revoking temporarily to give time for a deal to be agreed.

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon May 27, 2019 10:58 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Seems weird as that is your position
No, I'm quite happy to have another referendum in due course about rejoining, once we have put the first referendum into practice. What I'm not happy with is the "vote again until you get it right" approach.
These 4 users liked this post: tiger76 Colburn_Claret AndyClaret Quickenthetempo

ClaretDiver
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by ClaretDiver » Mon May 27, 2019 11:04 am

It is about time that the UK bring in what other countries do...make it mandatory to vote or get a fine....that way we would get a true representation of what the country thinks/wants