Nelson

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Re: Nelson

Post by taio » Wed May 29, 2019 7:34 am

. wrote:. awaits a big merger between the local Council’s. He believes more and more services are being passed on to Town Council’s in preparation of the Pendle/ Burnley/ Hyndburn/ Rossendale merger that will eventually happen.
Which services does Jeremy Bentham believe have or are being transferred to those borough councils?

The proposed merger is between Burnley, Pendle, Rossendale and Blackburn with Darwen.

The Hung Juror
Been Liked: 107 times
Has Liked: 129 times

Post by The Hung Juror » Wed May 29, 2019 9:20 am

karatekid wrote:
What we need is a PM born and bred in the North who has lived in these communities and understands the issues.
That'll be Boris then!!! :roll:

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Wed May 29, 2019 9:38 am

. wrote:. awaits a big merger between the local Council’s. He believes more and more services are being passed on to Town Council’s in preparation of the Pendle/ Burnley/ Hyndburn/ Rossendale merger that will eventually happen.
Can see Rossendale with Bury not Burnley. Its firmly focussed south not east

forzagranata
Been Liked: 222 times
Has Liked: 432 times

Post by forzagranata » Wed May 29, 2019 9:53 am

Nelson is a fine place to live. The problem is Nelson centre which is a mess. Unfortunately whatever public investment is made, people aren't going to start shopping en masse in the town centre again, because times have changed and people don't shop like that anymore. Fine, move on, bulldoze away, build something else in its place, create some new public areas.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed May 29, 2019 10:13 am

Investment opportunity for Nelson was discussed at a recent residents meeting.

Great to see Bin Ont Turf taking such an active role

https://youtu.be/KHJlZyFxp88

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Wed May 29, 2019 10:30 am

Going to Nelson on Friday night for the t20. Looking forward to embracing some culture

Sausage
Been Liked: 637 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by Sausage » Wed May 29, 2019 10:52 am

They say absence makes the heart grow fonder. Well, not in Nelson’s case. It was a shithole 30 years ago when I lived there and it’s even worse now. Not even the nostalgia of buying my first ever packet of fags at the bus station shop would make me misty-eyed. I was also racially attacked there twice in late 80s / early 90s; once on Every Street and once in broad daylight outside Woolworths where I was kicked and punched by three lads for being a “white ba$tard”.

If the McDonald’s drive-thru means you can pick up a Big Mac without actually having to turn your engine off and stay for one second longer in the town than is absolutely necessary, then I’m all for it.

I’d bulldoze the whole town. Hate it.

thomaspaine
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Post by thomaspaine » Wed May 29, 2019 12:44 pm

Sausage wrote:They say absence makes the heart grow fonder. Well, not in Nelson’s case. It was a shithole 30 years ago when I lived there and it’s even worse now. Not even the nostalgia of buying my first ever packet of fags at the bus station shop would make me misty-eyed. I was also racially attacked there twice in late 80s / early 90s; once on Every Street and once in broad daylight outside Woolworths where I was kicked and punched by three lads for being a “white ba$tard”.

If the McDonald’s drive-thru means you can pick up a Big Mac without actually having to turn your engine off and stay for one second longer in the town than is absolutely necessary, then I’m all for it.
There are far worse places to live than Nelson of that there's no doubt.
I’d bulldoze the whole town. Hate it.

JimMcDonald
Been Liked: 64 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by JimMcDonald » Wed May 29, 2019 12:47 pm

Nelson makes the Stoops Estate look like the Bahamas.

Jeremy_Bentham
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Post by Jeremy_Bentham » Wed May 29, 2019 3:46 pm

taio wrote:Which services does Jeremy Bentham believe have or are being transferred to those borough councils?

The proposed merger is between Burnley, Pendle, Rossendale and Blackburn with Darwen.
. was a little unclear for which he apologises. He means services such as parks, playing fields, benches, bus shelters, allotments etc will be passed on (some of which have already been done so) to town council’s from the Borough.

He expects the Borough’s will then join forces and centrally run services like Planning, Environmental Health and waste - in the way LCC operate.

karatekid
Been Liked: 1103 times
Has Liked: 316 times

Post by karatekid » Wed May 29, 2019 4:58 pm

JimMcDonald wrote:Nelson makes the Stoops Estate look like the Bahamas.
Can't quite see it myself...... ;)

Stoops

Bahamas

This user liked this post: fatboy47

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Wed May 29, 2019 5:02 pm

Stoops looks a lot different to the picture shown...

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Wed May 29, 2019 5:10 pm

karatekid wrote:Can't quite see it myself...... ;)

Stoops

Bahamas

That's clone road between queesngate and Duke bar, but that's also getting a dump.
There must be a common denominator between these places, both very similar in appearance and cleanliness.

JimMcDonald
Been Liked: 64 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by JimMcDonald » Wed May 29, 2019 5:14 pm

karatekid wrote:Can't quite see it myself...... ;)

Stoops

Bahamas

That's Colne Road you fool Hahahaha LOL

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Wed May 29, 2019 5:18 pm

MACCA wrote:That's clone road between queesngate and Duke bar, but that's also getting a dump.
There must be a common denominator between these places, both very similar in appearance and cleanliness.
That was my thoughts...On colne rd.

karatekid

Post by karatekid » Wed May 29, 2019 5:37 pm

JimMcDonald wrote:That's Colne Road you fool Hahahaha LOL
TBH I didn't even know where that picture was taken. It was just the first one I came across on the net, but you get the idea. It's just light hearted banter mate , don't get upset.
Last edited by karatekid on Thu May 30, 2019 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Wed May 29, 2019 7:56 pm

Nelson is a drive-though hole that you can go through incognito as it's impossible to touch the sides.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Wed May 29, 2019 9:55 pm

Pstotto wrote:Nelson is a drive-though hole that you can go through incognito as it's impossible to touch the sides.
Does that make it a Black hole ?

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed May 29, 2019 10:34 pm

Rather than beating about the bush why don't some posters say that they think its because 'p*kis / poles / Romanians / anything not english' to blame for Nelson.
Of course its seen better days. But its not unique in that sense. Especially up North!

As it happens its probably got some of the biggest and best employers in the region if not UK.

Give Quiche a Chance
Been Liked: 6 times

Post by Give Quiche a Chance » Thu May 30, 2019 2:34 pm

I am a white cisgender male, for which I apologise.

I once visited Nelson as part of my travel blog on the Guardian website, entitled “Places to visit in Britain ironically”. On my arrival in Nelson I decided to check out the local pop-up world food establishments and found myself in something called a “Greggs”. Unfortunately, their lack of vegan and glutton free meal options did not meet the high standards my refined palate requires.

After a heated discussion with the manager, where I pointed out that they were engaged in cultural appropriation by selling Cajun Chicken Bakes, he said I should try out a local gastro pub called the Lord Nelson that would be more to my liking.

At first I was shocked by the name of the establishment, with its negative British colonel overtones and glorification of war. But, I decided it might just be a progressive name in order to highlight white privilege and decided to check it out.

Inside the Lord Nelson I was met with silence and stares, obviously my notoriety as an insightful and sharp witted travel blogger proceeded me. I asked the barmaid for the list of independent craft ales they served and if their menu included black bean feta quinoa wraps with avocado tahini sauce. The ale must be really strong as I don’t remember anything after that point until I came to in the back of an ambulance, minus my phone and wallet.

All in all Nelson was an enjoyable visit that could be improved by the addition of a glamping site on Rigby Street and the hosting of an open air EDM music festival in the Market Square. A respectable score of three and half hipster beards out of 5 on my travel blog.
These 5 users liked this post: tim_noone Sausage fatboy47 Blackrod CoolClaret

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Thu May 30, 2019 9:29 pm

Some people try way too hard and fall flatly on their arse, don't they, Give Quiche a Chance.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu May 30, 2019 9:34 pm

Give Quiche a Chance wrote:I am a white cisgender male, for which I apologise.

I once visited Nelson as part of my travel blog on the Guardian website, entitled “Places to visit in Britain ironically”. On my arrival in Nelson I decided to check out the local pop-up world food establishments and found myself in something called a “Greggs”. Unfortunately, their lack of vegan and glutton free meal options did not meet the high standards my refined palate requires.

After a heated discussion with the manager, where I pointed out that they were engaged in cultural appropriation by selling Cajun Chicken Bakes, he said I should try out a local gastro pub called the Lord Nelson that would be more to my liking.

At first I was shocked by the name of the establishment, with its negative British colonel overtones and glorification of war. But, I decided it might just be a progressive name in order to highlight white privilege and decided to check it out.

Inside the Lord Nelson I was met with silence and stares, obviously my notoriety as an insightful and sharp witted travel blogger proceeded me. I asked the barmaid for the list of independent craft ales they served and if their menu included black bean feta quinoa wraps with avocado tahini sauce. The ale must be really strong as I don’t remember anything after that point until I came to in the back of an ambulance, minus my phone and wallet.

All in all Nelson was an enjoyable visit that could be improved by the addition of a glamping site on Rigby Street and the hosting of an open air EDM music festival in the Market Square. A respectable score of three and half hipster beards out of 5 on my travel blog.
That would be hilarious if Greggs didn’t sell vegan sausage rolls.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1459 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Goobs » Thu May 30, 2019 10:24 pm

conyoviejo wrote:Does that make it a Black hole ?
Racist.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu May 30, 2019 11:05 pm

It's a while since I've been to Nelson but I thought the Asian residents might of influenced some nice culture on the town by now. A bit like Istanbul.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Fri May 31, 2019 7:38 am

Used to be a thriving place years ago. I know many people who have had businesses there and I used to catch the bus to school from there. The Arndale Centre used to have thriving independent retailers. Many of the inhabitants have not taken care of or pride in the housing stock which had detiorated and use the streets as rubbish tips. This has seen values plummet which attracts more like minded people. It is not attractive for others to move there along with commuters and people who will spend more in the locality. Sadly just not somewhere you want to go to unless you have to. Not sure whether a McDonalds will really help. It will probably just attract more disaffected youths who speed in built up areas in cars with blacked out windows.

claretnproud
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by claretnproud » Fri May 31, 2019 5:47 pm

I live in Nelson. Its like 2 different towns really. Hendon road is the dividing line. south of that is the pits and north of that (walton lane area and up to the park and golf course) is a decent place to live with very affordable decent houses. Very rarely go in to town.
This user liked this post: turfytopper

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri May 31, 2019 5:54 pm

claretnproud wrote:I live in Nelson. Its like 2 different towns really. Hendon road is the dividing line. south of that is the pits and north of that (walton lane area and up to the park and golf course) is a decent place to live with very affordable decent houses. Very rarely go in to town.
Cracking view of Pendle Hill from up there as well.

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Fri May 31, 2019 7:03 pm

Nelson respects and welcomes diversity: Drug gangs from Asia and anywhere else, racketeers, pig ignorants,groomers, murderers, paedophiles, deviants, rapists, pimps,thugs, sex offenders, exponents of violence etc.

Not so much a black hole, more a plug hole.

karatekid

Post by karatekid » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:47 pm

The multistorey is being demolished today.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2159 times
Has Liked: 2046 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:44 pm

Give Quiche a Chance wrote:I am a white cisgender male, for which I apologise.....
:D best post ever on this forum

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:57 pm

I live in Woodley and visit Nelson on match days .We usually eat in the Sally Army cafe which is excellent,visit the best hardware store in Clarks,where you can get shoes soled and healed for £17 .Afterwards we often buy our tea in Oddies to have after the match.
I have witnessed a decline in retail experience but no worse than other towns.
These 2 users liked this post: Nonayforever turfytopper

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Nonayforever » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:47 pm

Nelson, from a retail point of view, isn't much different to most other towns in the fact that the high street is suffering.
There are more or less 3 types of shopper, the internet shopper, the city centre shopper which includes places such as the Trafford centre, and the pull up and buy, then drive away shopper. This last group includes places such as B & Q etc.
Town centers will only survive if they sort out the traffic flow and parking to accommodate the last group of shoppers.
People don't want to spend 2 hours to go and buy a steak, box of screws or a haircut etc.
T

thomaspaine
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Post by thomaspaine » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:55 pm

The demolition of the bus station is long overdue. Whilst I am not a fan of Mcdonalds the jury's out as to to any future development. On a positive note - just been for a long walk with the dog culminating in admiring the wonderful view from top of the Hard Platts looking over Pendle - we don't know how lucky we are.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:05 pm

Always made me laugh when they knocked Thompson Centre down in Burnley and then built St Peters.

They demolished a leisure centre, to build a car park - and demolished a car park to build a leisure centre.
This user liked this post: Nonayforever

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:21 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Always made me laugh when they knocked Thompson Centre down in Burnley and then built St Peters.

They demolished a leisure centre, to build a car park - and demolished a car park to build a leisure centre.
That's Burnley Council for you. :shock: