Are GP's on Commission?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Healeywoodclaret
Been Liked: 259 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Are GP's on Commission?

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Tue May 28, 2019 2:50 pm

Has anyone ever thought this? The way they always give more than one item on each prescription prescribing two drugs when one would do. Often getting it wrong and trying other drugs. Medical Reps earn a packet. I'm sure they meet up with GP's reglarly pushing their products. Pharmaceutical firms making huge profits can afford to offer an incentive.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Re: Are GP's on Commission?

Post by tim_noone » Tue May 28, 2019 2:55 pm

No.....otherwise people would have an appointment everyday instead of waiting a month.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2633 times
Has Liked: 6448 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Tue May 28, 2019 2:58 pm

I'm not sure if GP's are in on the racket, but I am fairly confident that dentists do it. After the last visit I was recommended Oral-B toothpaste with a free sample and a voucher for £1 off my next purchase, when I asked what had changed from the recommendation on the last visit that promoted Colgate she said that the practice had been persuaded to change it's advice.

In terms of GPs, what I do understand is that there is a concerted effort to get cheap drugs like paracetamol off the list of prescriptions, especially for people who get "free" prescriptions as it is ridiculous that the cost of administering these cheap drugs (the large amount of the prescription charge) is astronomical compared to the cost of the drugs themselves - 20p for Paracetamol for example.

For example my prescription drugs, I have very specific requirements and its usually the pharmacy trying to get me the cheaper drugs but I refuse and insist on the right drug with the right Pharmacological Number (PN) - instead of a cheaper (and different) version of the same drug. I.e. I need film coated Azathioprine but often they try and give me un-coated Azathioprine - same drug but will have a different PN - so based on this, I'm not sure the GPs will be profiting from prescribing specific drugs.
Last edited by Rick_Muller on Tue May 28, 2019 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue May 28, 2019 2:59 pm

Theyd be stupid if they werent.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2320 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Tue May 28, 2019 3:10 pm

Healeywoodclaret wrote:Has anyone ever thought this? The way they always give more than one item on each prescription prescribing two drugs when one would do. Often getting it wrong and trying other drugs. Medical Reps earn a packet. I'm sure they meet up with GP's reglarly pushing their products. Pharmaceutical firms making huge profits can afford to offer an incentive.

I've sat through plenty of presentations by hopeful reps plugging various wonder drugs...an hour of garbled pharmacology was usually topped off by a free lunch, but i honestly dont think it altered prescribing patterns...

Hendrickxz
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Hendrickxz » Tue May 28, 2019 3:14 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:I'm not sure if GP's are in on the racket, but I am fairly confident that dentists do it. After the last visit I was recommended Oral-B toothpaste with a free sample and a voucher for £1 off my next purchase, when I asked what had changed from the recommendation on the last visit that promoted Colgate she said that the practice had been persuaded to change it's advice.

In terms of GPs, what I do understand is that there is a concerted effort to get cheap drugs like paracetamol off the list of prescriptions, especially for people who get "free" prescriptions as it is ridiculous that the cost of administering these cheap drugs (the large amount of the prescription charge) is astronomical compared to the cost of the drugs themselves - 20p for Paracetamol for example.

For example my prescription drugs, I have very specific requirements and its usually the pharmacy trying to get me the cheaper drugs but I refuse and insist on the right drug with the right Pharmacological Number (PN) - instead of a cheaper (and different) version of the same drug. I.e. I need film coated Azathioprine but often they try and give me un-coated Azathioprine - same drug but will have a different PN - so based on this, I'm not sure the GPs will be profiting from prescribing specific drugs.
Oral B? To paraphrase Crocodile Dundee --"You can use it, it'll clean your teeth, but it tastes like ****!"
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Tue May 28, 2019 3:17 pm

If a dentist make their money off people with unhealthy teeth, why should I trust a toothpaste that 4 out of 5 dentists recommend?
These 3 users liked this post: tim_noone Rick_Muller bfcjg

Rowls
Been Liked: 5096 times
Has Liked: 5159 times

Post by Rowls » Tue May 28, 2019 3:25 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:I'm not sure if GP's are in on the racket, but I am fairly confident that dentists do it. After the last visit I was recommended Oral-B toothpaste with a free sample and a voucher for £1 off my next purchase, when I asked what had changed from the recommendation on the last visit that promoted Colgate she said that the practice had been persuaded to change it's advice.

Don't know if dentists take commission or not but I do know that the practices are all treated very nicely by the pharmacy companies.

I was never short of toothpaste or mouthwash samples when I worked at one.

It's possibly -and very probably- against some kind of regulation or code of conduct for the GDC to accept commission but dentists are free to honestly recommend whichever toothpaste brand has freely stocked up their practice for them.

They all have the same active ingredient and I'm sure if you really pressed an honest dentist they'd much rather you used any toothpaste than none at all.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

dsr
Been Liked: 4575 times
Has Liked: 2263 times

Post by dsr » Tue May 28, 2019 4:37 pm

Rowls wrote:Don't know if dentists take commission or not but I do know that the practices are all treated very nicely by the pharmacy companies.

I was never short of toothpaste or mouthwash samples when I worked at one.

It's possibly -and very probably- against some kind of regulation or code of conduct for the GDC to accept commission but dentists are free to honestly recommend whichever toothpaste brand has freely stocked up their practice for them.

They all have the same active ingredient and I'm sure if you really pressed an honest dentist they'd much rather you used any toothpaste than none at all.
Agreed. All toothpastes (teethpaste?) are basically the same, so use the one that you think tastes best. Which is Aquafresh. Or if you get used to the flavour and want a change, get a different type each new tube. Whatever's cheapest seems like a good shout.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Tue May 28, 2019 6:01 pm

You would be surprised how the "freebies" have disappeared. Pharma has to follow really strict rules these days-not even allowed to give pens to the profession if there is any advertising material on it.
If you are getting too many repeat drugs you need to strike the ones out not needed when you put in for a repeat-I do.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

Guppyspotter
Been Liked: 64 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by Guppyspotter » Wed May 29, 2019 12:36 am

My wife is a full time GP partner and she certainly isn't on commission. Her viewpoint is definitely that she is there to provide a service and feels it a privilege to do the job she does. Sorry to disappoint.
These 4 users liked this post: mdd2 Suratclaret Rick_Muller Ashingtonclaret46

Rowls
Been Liked: 5096 times
Has Liked: 5159 times

Post by Rowls » Wed May 29, 2019 1:47 am

dsr wrote:Agreed. All toothpastes (teethpaste?) are basically the same, so use the one that you think tastes best. Which is Aquafresh. Or if you get used to the flavour and want a change, get a different type each new tube. Whatever's cheapest seems like a good shout.
I like to shop around and deliberately buy different toothpaste all the time. That way I have the thrill of a new toothpaste flavour once every couple of months.

It adds a level of thrill and excitement to my life.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Wed May 29, 2019 6:12 am

Rowls wrote:I like to shop around and deliberately buy different toothpaste all the time. That way I have the thrill of a new toothpaste flavour once every couple of months.

It adds a level of thrill and excitement to my life.
I do this with soap. Making sure my bits are washed with a different soap every few weeks. More for the wifes benefit, gives her a different fragrance to sample every few weeks
This user liked this post: Pimlico_Claret

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1152 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Wed May 29, 2019 6:31 am

Healeywoodclaret wrote:Has anyone ever thought this? The way they always give more than one item on each prescription prescribing two drugs when one would do. Often getting it wrong and trying other drugs. Medical Reps earn a packet. I'm sure they meet up with GP's reglarly pushing their products. Pharmaceutical firms making huge profits can afford to offer an incentive.
Ah the 80’s a wonderful time ...

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Wed May 29, 2019 7:46 am

The bung they get for diagnosing dementia is a bit like a commission. Otherwise there's lots of free lunches etc going from drugs companies but the general attitude is that they are a time consuming nuisance.

Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Wed May 29, 2019 9:12 am

Dentists simply get samples sent from the major companies, Oral B, Colgate in particular. Give them out to patients, there was nothing particularly dodgy about it.
I'm still using the ones I got nearly 4 years since I packed it in.

ecc
Been Liked: 1407 times
Has Liked: 1278 times

Post by ecc » Wed May 29, 2019 9:18 am

The toothpaste isn't overally relevant. It's how you brush your teeth that matters. And using floss regularly.