More Welsh/Scottish bias

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
bfcjg
Been Liked: 5085 times
Has Liked: 6896 times

More Welsh/Scottish bias

Post by bfcjg » Wed May 29, 2019 12:56 pm

Why is a situation like this allowed to happen ? Do we need a very strong non racist English Independence party like the SNP or Plaid Cymru . I'd give them their independence now and see how they would cope without English tax payers bailing them out. I want England to be independent. and see how we go.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-48438132" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: turfytopper

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Re: More Welsh/Scottish bias

Post by Wile E Coyote » Wed May 29, 2019 1:44 pm

that resonse it daft, you are being tribal with no reason, this is what happens when people forget to use common sense.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed May 29, 2019 1:49 pm

bfcjg wrote:Why is a situation like this allowed to happen ? Do we need a very strong non racist English Independence party like the SNP or Plaid Cymru . I'd give them their independence now and see how they would cope without English tax payers bailing them out. I want England to be independent. and see how we go.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-48438132" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Do we need a very strong non racist English Independence party like the SNP or Plaid Cymru ."

Got one. The Brexit Party. See what the manifesto, that's currently being drawn up looks like.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed May 29, 2019 2:50 pm

I wouldn’t be surprised if Farage campaigned to rejoin the EU after we eventually leave. What else would give him any publicity?

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Wed May 29, 2019 3:02 pm

bfcjg wrote:Why is a situation like this allowed to happen ? Do we need a very strong non racist English Independence party like the SNP or Plaid Cymru...
Surely your post is tongue in cheek as there's not much in the way of diversity or colour among SNP and Plaid Cymru MP's

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed May 29, 2019 3:28 pm

bfcjg wrote:Why is a situation like this allowed to happen ? Do we need a very strong non racist English Independence party like the SNP or Plaid Cymru . I'd give them their independence now and see how they would cope without English tax payers bailing them out. I want England to be independent. and see how we go.
You might get your wish sooner or later,Sturgeon putting plans in place for indy ref2.

No specific date set in stone yet,but late 2020 seems favourite,of course WM will say no,which is exactly what NS wants as she can play the democratic deficit card again.

I'm undecided i voted no in 2014,but given the carry on chaos at WM,could an independent Scotland be any worse?.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-48435198

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Wed May 29, 2019 5:01 pm

tiger76 wrote:You might get your wish sooner or later,Sturgeon putting plans in place for indy ref2.

No specific date set in stone yet,but late 2020 seems favourite,of course WM will say no,which is exactly what NS wants as she can play the democratic deficit card again.

I'm undecided i voted no in 2014,but given the carry on chaos at WM,could an independent Scotland be any worse?.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-48435198
It could. Hadrian's wall rebuilt under orders from the EU, and new tariffs on 60% of Scotland's imports and exports because the EU wouldn't let them in unless they promise not to have any free trade with England. Unless of course they decide not to join the EU after all.

As for the OP, why do my Welsh nephew and niece get two-thirds off their university fees while my English nephew and nieces don't? We all pay the same taxes - how come some are subsidised, some aren't? And why do students from 27 and a half countries of the EU get free university tuition, the half a country being England, when it's English taxpayers that pay for 90% of it?

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2326 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Wed May 29, 2019 5:37 pm

Calling the SNP non-racist is a bit of a stretch.

It built its appeal almost totally on fostering the ancient hatreds of the dreaded English. Almost everything of the SNP that I witnessed in my years in Scotland was just tirades against the English Thatcherite stereotypes that they painted.
On the broader BBC platform, they've cleaned up their act a bit....but locally its nasty..it's right wing..And its not that distinct from Bull Terrier Man's take on the Aisian communities south of the border.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1331 times

Post by summitclaret » Wed May 29, 2019 5:45 pm

It's not just tuition fees its social care as well. It bloody ridiculous. The SNP hate us. They would never cope without us. Yet any sign if nationalism from us and we are just racist.

A hard border in Ireland is a minor issue compared to one between us and them.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2977 times
Has Liked: 2075 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Wed May 29, 2019 6:12 pm

I'm pretty sure that they don't pay prescription charges either.

That's Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

In force since about 2011 I think.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2472 times
Has Liked: 2010 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Thu May 30, 2019 9:41 am

This is because you no longer live in a United Kingdom and it’s a poor joke to pretend you do. The Tories still hide behind the Union Jack, as though anybody who doesn’t back them is a traitor, and yet we have three independently ruled states taking funds from central government.
The greatest wrong in all of this is that the MPs from those areas can vote on England specific matters in the House.

Falcon
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 1172 times

Post by Falcon » Thu May 30, 2019 10:42 am

If the Scottish and Welsh parliaments decide to use their allocation of public money to subsidise these things then rather than getting all jealous and hateful of them perhaps we should take our UK government to task for not doing the same for us English.

I'm making the assumption here that this central money is given to the devolved governments on a fair pro rata basis but Westminster has 'better' uses for the English portion of it, like tax breaks for the super rich, or keeping MPs moats and birdhouses in working order.
This user liked this post: IanMcL

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Thu May 30, 2019 11:16 pm

Falcon wrote:If the Scottish and Welsh parliaments decide to use their allocation of public money to subsidise these things then rather than getting all jealous and hateful of them perhaps we should take our UK government to task for not doing the same for us English.

I'm making the assumption here that this central money is given to the devolved governments on a fair pro rata basis but Westminster has 'better' uses for the English portion of it, like tax breaks for the super rich, or keeping MPs moats and birdhouses in working order.
Don't make assumptions. Scotland spends more per head than England, but doesn't collect much more in taxes - anyone earning over £27,000 pays more, but it's only (allowing for 1% higher top rate plus slightly different tax bands) about 1.5% more - £3,000 or just over - for someone earning £200,000. It doesn't raise enough to pay nursing home fees for everyone in Scotland plus free student tuition for anyone in the EU apart from the English, Welsh, and Northern Irish.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8740 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri May 31, 2019 8:48 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:I wouldn’t be surprised if Farage campaigned to rejoin the EU after we eventually leave. What else would give him any publicity?
English Independence.
Regional independence.
Local autonomy.
Then join EU and Euro.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Fri May 31, 2019 11:25 am

fatboy47 wrote:Calling the SNP non-racist is a bit of a stretch.

It built its appeal almost totally on fostering the ancient hatreds of the dreaded English. Almost everything of the SNP that I witnessed in my years in Scotland was just tirades against the English Thatcherite stereotypes that they painted.
On the broader BBC platform, they've cleaned up their act a bit....but locally its nasty..it's right wing..And its not that distinct from Bull Terrier Man's take on the Aisian communities south of the border.

First of all being "anti-English" isn't racist.

And second, the SNP aren't anti-English, they're pro-Scottish. It might seem to morons that those are the same thing, but they're not.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1331 times

Post by summitclaret » Fri May 31, 2019 2:50 pm

Falcon wrote:If the Scottish and Welsh parliaments decide to use their allocation of public money to subsidise these things then rather than getting all jealous and hateful of them perhaps we should take our UK government to task for not doing the same for us English.

Your missing the point. They get too much allocated from Westminster.