Boris Johnson to appear in Crown Court for lying

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2013 times
Has Liked: 2913 times

Re: Boris Johnson to appear in Crown Court for lying

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:37 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:If you'd been following this over the years, and even further up this thread, it's got nothing to do with the Tory party vacancy. Although it seems a little unlikely it is entirely coincidental.
It's been flagged up for quite some time that there would be ruling on this case at this point with the potential court case to follow. As this "case" was proceeding over the past couple of years no one could have forecast that May's resignation, (and thus the vacancy) would coincide with the dates. (Unless of course you're suggesting that May timed her resignation to derail his candidacy, which is rather far fetched.)
Quite right I haven’t followed this thread closely at all. Quite frankly l’m more interested in how it goes from here. It could mean a major (long overdue) shakeup of politics. However if anyone thinks the likes of C. Blair will let this happen...

aggi
Been Liked: 2123 times

Post by aggi » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:42 pm

thatdberight wrote:The purported offence relates to both pre-referendum and pre-GE 2017 timeframes so what was said in 2016 is definitely relevant.

Once you've defined the £350m (as he does in that clip) and it is a correct, if highly skewed, definition: "We give them £350m - they keep some of it, give back some of it but control / define how we can use the bit we give back", I'm pretty clear that you've made the basis of your assertion clear.

By whom was Johnson "...explicitly told not to REPEAT it..."? I'm not aware of that bit.
I've not watched the clip but if he's relying on that explanation to absolve him he'll be a bit scuppered.

Firstly we absolutely don't give them £350m.
Secondly they don't control/define how we use the rebate
This user liked this post: thatdberight

aggi
Been Liked: 2123 times

Post by aggi » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:45 pm

elwaclaret wrote:I think it long over due that Politicians were reeled in, but this is too convenient timing and is clearly an attempt to derail the “favourite” in a leadership election. I’m not in Boris’s corner, but I can see the lawyers rubbing their hands in anticipation, “have you been lied to in parliament, then ring, no win no fee political justice.”

Not that I expect the establishment to let it happen. They get Boris out of the picture but even this set of clowns must see the long term result of a conviction.
People may want to think this is timed to derail his leadership campaign but if you look at the actual timeline this was in process way before May resigned.
This user liked this post: elwaclaret

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2013 times
Has Liked: 2913 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:53 pm

aggi wrote:People may want to think this is timed to derail his leadership campaign but if you look at the actual timeline this was in process way before May resigned.
See my above post to Nil ( I think) Aggi :-)

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:01 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:Added to my previous reply, as has been pointed out numerous times, and is verifiable in Treasury accounts, we don't give them 350 million and NEVER have done. We only transfer the net amount to the EU. It's exactly the same as claiming that you have £35,000 disposable annual income when in fact this is your gross salary, and you only ever receive a net amount (say £25,0000) after deductions for tax, NI etc.
All treasury forecasts and budgeting are therefore based on the net figure, so the gross figure is irrelevant.
You use a narrow definition of "give". I'll settle for "contribute" if it makes you feel more comfortable. We "contribute" c.£250m per week of which a significant part is used in furtherance of EU objectives (which of course are objectives the UK has helped shape and signed up to) in the UK. The EU does not give this back to the UK - if "giving" is defined as you've defined it. I don't think there's any meaningful way the rebate can be included in the headline figure to get to £350m. but, as long as that's declared (and Johnson did in that video clarify), then it's non-useful data but it's understandable.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:03 pm

aggi wrote:I've not watched the clip but if he's relying on that explanation to absolve him he'll be a bit scuppered.

Firstly we absolutely don't give them £350m.
Secondly they don't control/define how we use the rebate
No. You're right. I truncated in trying to explain and left out an important piece. £350m seems to me a figure that signifies very little.