Preston sayings

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Post Reply
Spike
Posts: 1555
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:07 pm
Been Liked: 304 times
Has Liked: 729 times

Preston sayings

Post by Spike » Wed May 29, 2019 1:21 pm

I have been on Missionary work in Preston for some years now.

some of their sayings make no sense .Here a few:

To be fair
Oh my days
It must be our turn next season

ClaretAndJew
Posts: 6187
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:08 am
Been Liked: 2110 times
Has Liked: 453 times
Location: Earth

Re: Preston sayings

Post by ClaretAndJew » Wed May 29, 2019 1:22 pm

"we are superior"

claretonthecoast1882
Posts: 2022
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:59 pm
Been Liked: 1012 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Re: Preston sayings

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed May 29, 2019 1:23 pm

Cha
This user liked this post: CHEWBACCA

Spike
Posts: 1555
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:07 pm
Been Liked: 304 times
Has Liked: 729 times

Re: Preston sayings

Post by Spike » Wed May 29, 2019 1:24 pm

Our Peg

Herts Clarets
Posts: 1694
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:18 pm
Been Liked: 759 times
Has Liked: 317 times

Re: Preston sayings

Post by Herts Clarets » Wed May 29, 2019 1:26 pm

Spike wrote:I have been on Missionary work in Preston for some years now.

some of their sayings make no sense .Here a few:

To be fair
Oh my days
It must be our turn next season
I went on a depot visit to a parcel carrier's central hub in Cannock a couple of months ago. The depot manager who conducted the tour could have broken a record for number of times "to be fair" was used in an evening. It was practically at the end of every sentence.

We unload a trailer in 5 minutes to be fair
We set up a separate sort area for Cornwall to be fair
This is the main sorting hub to be fair

And so on and so on.

Zom Zom
Posts: 1060
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:20 pm
Been Liked: 391 times
Has Liked: 643 times
Location: The Park

Re: Preston sayings

Post by Zom Zom » Wed May 29, 2019 2:07 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:I went on a depot visit to a parcel carrier's central hub in Cannock a couple of months ago. The depot manager who conducted the tour could have broken a record for number of times "to be fair" was used in an evening. It was practically at the end of every sentence.

We unload a trailer in 5 minutes to be fair
We set up a separate sort area for Cornwall to be fair
This is the main sorting hub to be fair

And so on and so on.
I think you worded that very well, to be fair
This user liked this post: Claret Till I Die

MACCA
Posts: 10731
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2732 times

Re: Preston sayings

Post by MACCA » Wed May 29, 2019 2:08 pm

"Dya get what I mean?" after ever sentence can get very frustrating.

Edit - and is it true they have a darts league that play round the clock on plasticine boards?

Someone told me this, and was very convincing telling me.

TheFamilyCat
Posts: 5094
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:56 pm
Been Liked: 2714 times
Has Liked: 76 times

Re: Preston sayings

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed May 29, 2019 2:10 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:I went on a depot visit to a parcel carrier's central hub in Cannock a couple of months ago. The depot manager who conducted the tour could have broken a record for number of times "to be fair" was used in an evening. It was practically at the end of every sentence.

We unload a trailer in 5 minutes to be fair
We set up a separate sort area for Cornwall to be fair
This is the main sorting hub to be fair

And so on and so on.
Was that a working visit or is it your hobby?

ClaretTony
Posts: 31792
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:07 pm
Been Liked: 14368 times
Has Liked: 2793 times
Location: Burnley
Contact:

Re: Preston sayings

Post by ClaretTony » Wed May 29, 2019 2:11 pm

I worked in Preston for years and never worked out why they dropped the last letter from school and called it schoo. Also, despite being in Lancashire, words like plaster and master were pronounced plarster & marster. Only town I know that has schoo marsters.
This user liked this post: basil6345789

Damo
Posts: 3348
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:04 pm
Been Liked: 1292 times
Has Liked: 1983 times

Re: Preston sayings

Post by Damo » Wed May 29, 2019 2:34 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Cha
What is that all about. Quite often work with lads from Preston, and a few of them use that one

claretonthecoast1882
Posts: 2022
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:59 pm
Been Liked: 1012 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Re: Preston sayings

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed May 29, 2019 2:34 pm

Damo wrote:What is that all about. Quite often work with lads from Preston, and a few of them use that one

:D it is their equivalent of mate some of the lads we used to drink with on England trips were forever using it
This user liked this post: Damo

houseboy
Posts: 4266
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1280 times
Has Liked: 1025 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: Preston sayings

Post by houseboy » Wed May 29, 2019 2:38 pm

I worked in Leyland for around 5 years and discovered some strange things:
1. Despite being in my late 40's it was only then I came across the term 'collar and cuffs' (referring to a ladies hair colour being different from elswhere).
2. A steak pudding is called a 'babby's yead'.
3. 'Ar lass' was used a great deal when referring to a wife (or indeed a mistress).
4. There actually appear to be more City fans there than Preston fans.
5. It NEVER snows. Honestly in 5 years, despite the occasional dire warnings from my wife on bad days, I never saw anything other than a slight dusting and even then only on days when in Accrington you would have to be Nanook of the North to go to the shop.

JimMcDonald
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:37 pm
Been Liked: 64 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Re: Preston sayings

Post by JimMcDonald » Wed May 29, 2019 2:56 pm

Cha.

Worked on site with many lads from Preston who use that constantly.

'Alright Cha' 'Over here Cha' 'How we doing Cha'

kaptin1
Posts: 1226
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:05 am
Been Liked: 348 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Re: Preston sayings

Post by kaptin1 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:30 pm

JimMcDonald wrote:Cha.

Worked on site with many lads from Preston who use that constantly.

'Alright Cha' 'Over here Cha' 'How we doing Cha'
Maybe they thought you were called ‘Cha’
This user liked this post: tim_noone

kaptin1
Posts: 1226
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:05 am
Been Liked: 348 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Re: Preston sayings

Post by kaptin1 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:31 pm

Also ‘wa’ instead of ‘our’ ... similar to how geordies say it

Swizzlestick
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:40 pm
Been Liked: 158 times
Has Liked: 96 times

Re: Preston sayings

Post by Swizzlestick » Wed May 29, 2019 6:32 pm

Live in Preston and most of these are familiar, especially “alright cha” which is just as annoying as you imagine it to be. They also like to use the word “doofer” a lot to describe a thing, like the remote control etc.

Also, you would not believe the amount of reverence they treat Gentry Day with.

basil6345789
Posts: 1434
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:22 pm
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1046 times

Re: Preston sayings

Post by basil6345789 » Wed May 29, 2019 7:00 pm

Preston did produce one of the best players ever - Tom Finney.

Herts Clarets
Posts: 1694
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:18 pm
Been Liked: 759 times
Has Liked: 317 times

Re: Preston sayings

Post by Herts Clarets » Wed May 29, 2019 7:01 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:Was that a working visit or is it your hobby?
Purely business!

basil6345789
Posts: 1434
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:22 pm
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1046 times

Re: Preston sayings

Post by basil6345789 » Wed May 29, 2019 7:01 pm

Preston did produce one of the best players ever - Tom Finney.

LawsCanalJump
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:59 pm
Been Liked: 103 times
Has Liked: 61 times

Re: Preston sayings

Post by LawsCanalJump » Wed May 29, 2019 8:53 pm

I'm from Preston cha.
And it actually never snows cha

conyoviejo
Posts: 3348
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:38 pm
Been Liked: 1385 times
Has Liked: 921 times
Location: On the high seas chasing Pirates

Re: Preston sayings

Post by conyoviejo » Wed May 29, 2019 9:43 pm

Get me a butter pie Cha.

Bin Ont Turf
Posts: 8641
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:38 am
Been Liked: 4080 times
Has Liked: 483 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Re: Preston sayings

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Wed May 29, 2019 10:01 pm

At one of them silly early kick offs at Preston where all pubs in town were closed, we went to the Wetherspoons after the match.

They had bouncers on the door, "where are you from lads", "Bamber Bridge" I replied. Luckily they were from New Zealand and couldn't tell a proper accent from their arse. :)

Hedontplayforyou
Posts: 563
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:01 am
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Re: Preston sayings

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Wed May 29, 2019 10:10 pm

Pretty sure there is some sort of weather stream over Preston which bypasses a lot of rain and colder weather and then it dumps it all over us. (Genuinely not a joke, however worded terribly)

Also I work with a lot of lads from Preston and they use Cha religiously. OUR PEG is common and they all tend to support two football teams , many Liverpool and Preston which confuses the tits off me

Bin Ont Turf
Posts: 8641
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:38 am
Been Liked: 4080 times
Has Liked: 483 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Re: Preston sayings

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Wed May 29, 2019 10:15 pm

Hedontplayforyou wrote:Pretty sure there is some sort of weather stream over Preston which bypasses a lot of rain and colder weather and then it dumps it all over us. (Genuinely not a joke, however worded terribly)
We're in a basin with hills to the west and east.

The weather is different, just like the football club. 8-)

WestMidsClaret
Posts: 1284
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:55 pm
Been Liked: 485 times
Has Liked: 455 times

Re: Preston sayings

Post by WestMidsClaret » Thu May 30, 2019 12:01 am

houseboy wrote:I worked in Leyland for around 5 years and discovered some strange things:
1. Despite being in my late 40's it was only then I came across the term 'collar and cuffs' (referring to a ladies hair colour being different from elswhere).
2. A steak pudding is called a 'babby's yead'.
3. 'Ar lass' was used a great deal when referring to a wife (or indeed a mistress).
4. There actually appear to be more City fans there than Preston fans.
5. It NEVER snows. Honestly in 5 years, despite the occasional dire warnings from my wife on bad days, I never saw anything other than a slight dusting and even then only on days when in Accrington you would have to be Nanook of the North to go to the shop.
Used to snow a lot in the 90's until around mid 2000. It used to be a decent place until it started getting all the druggies from Bamber Bridge, Lostock Hall and Clayton Le Woods rocking up. Glad I left in 2008 and I've never been back!

Wile E Coyote
Posts: 6131
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:22 pm
Been Liked: 1945 times
Has Liked: 1117 times

Re: Preston sayings

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu May 30, 2019 12:22 am

ClaretTony wrote:I worked in Preston for years and never worked out why they dropped the last letter from school and called it schoo. Also, despite being in Lancashire, words like plaster and master were pronounced plarster & marster. Only town I know that has schoo marsters.
only need to go to clayton or gt harwood to find exactly same

GordonvaleClaret
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:35 am
Been Liked: 29 times
Has Liked: 9 times
Location: near Cairns

Re: Preston sayings

Post by GordonvaleClaret » Thu May 30, 2019 1:39 am

What goes up, comes down. What goes down, stays down.

houseboy
Posts: 4266
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1280 times
Has Liked: 1025 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: Preston sayings

Post by houseboy » Thu May 30, 2019 11:21 am

GordonvaleClaret wrote:What goes up, comes down. What goes down, stays down.
I used to know a girl like that.

bob-the-scutter
Posts: 1189
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:25 pm
Been Liked: 392 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Re: Preston sayings

Post by bob-the-scutter » Thu May 30, 2019 12:08 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:only need to go to clayton or gt harwood to find exactly same
Being from Burnley, but married in 74 to a Clayton lass and I've been here ever since.......I concur!

Hedontplayforyou
Posts: 563
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:01 am
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Re: Preston sayings

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Thu May 30, 2019 12:13 pm

Nowt wrong with a bit of Great harwood or Clayton lingo.

Cirrus_Minor
Posts: 2064
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:20 pm
Been Liked: 509 times
Has Liked: 487 times

Re: Preston sayings

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Thu May 30, 2019 12:24 pm

Lewk at a bewk

jedi_master
Posts: 2289
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:33 pm
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 411 times
Location: Chesterfield

Re: Preston sayings

Post by jedi_master » Thu May 30, 2019 12:30 pm

“Burnley were just lucky” (three times)

“Burnley only went up by spending billions”

“Why never us”

“Hemmings needs to get his cheque book out and bankroll us to the Prem” (despite him covering their monthly losses and wiping out their £30m of debt that put them close to administration in 2010).

Etc, etc.

Buxtonclaret
Posts: 8551
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:05 am
Been Liked: 2111 times
Has Liked: 3951 times
Location: Derbyshire

Re: Preston sayings

Post by Buxtonclaret » Thu May 30, 2019 6:51 pm

Wasn't it Dickens who named Preston 'Coketown'? :)

Swizzlestick
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:40 pm
Been Liked: 158 times
Has Liked: 96 times

Re: Preston sayings

Post by Swizzlestick » Thu May 30, 2019 7:58 pm

jedi_master wrote:“Burnley were just lucky” (three times)

“Burnley only went up by spending billions”

“Why never us”

“Hemmings needs to get his cheque book out and bankroll us to the Prem” (despite him covering their monthly losses and wiping out their £30m of debt that put them close to administration in 2010).

Etc, etc.
I am delighted to confirm they are still very bitter about the superiority difference.

claretnproud
Posts: 595
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:20 am
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Re: Preston sayings

Post by claretnproud » Thu May 30, 2019 8:18 pm

Cirrus_Minor wrote:Lewk at a bewk
So you found one that could read :o
This user liked this post: Cirrus_Minor

ColneMonkey
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:35 pm
Been Liked: 5 times

Re: Preston sayings

Post by ColneMonkey » Fri May 31, 2019 10:02 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:only need to go to clayton or gt harwood to find exactly same
It's a bit Blackburn too. They also have buzz instead of bus.

The whole marster/plarster thing has me in stitches but is also is used for barth (bath) too.

Strange stuff.

Post Reply