Anyone but Labour- coalition for Burnley council

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3863 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Anyone but Labour- coalition for Burnley council

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed May 29, 2019 10:14 pm

UKip, Lib Dems, Greens, Cons and Independents have all made a coalition to run Burnley Council in a big blow to Labour.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3157 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Re: Anyone but Labour- coalition for Burnley council

Post by Chester Perry » Wed May 29, 2019 10:16 pm

No that is a diverse and partnership

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed May 29, 2019 10:21 pm

Info from Mike Stevens on twitter.
BBC news chap in the North West.

wembley94
Been Liked: 24 times
Has Liked: 24 times

Post by wembley94 » Wed May 29, 2019 10:48 pm

Labour mps no that they can't win a general election.with Jeremy Corbyn and Diane Abbott.so time for them to stand up to the.far left of the party

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed May 29, 2019 11:52 pm

Coalitions can work but that's a lot of diverse parties to keep together,i'll be surprised if they last a year,but with current political fortunes who knows.

If Labour were seeking a junior partner normally you'd figure the Lib Dems or the Greens would be a natural fit,but clearly if talks were held with one or both of these they came to nothing.

COBBLE
Been Liked: 350 times
Has Liked: 472 times

Post by COBBLE » Thu May 30, 2019 1:41 am

On the one hand its good that Labour's smug view that it has a permanent residency in the big house on Manchester Road is rattled, on the other hand how can so many different political groups reach a consensus? Is it for altruism, effective government or 15 minutes of fame. Labour were too smug and a few people are settling scores - that's OK. But come on, UKIP and Birtwistle can join up, when Gordon drives half his own party into the Padiham and Burnley wilderness. Its a bit pathetic all round.

Thank goodness Burnley does not have control of education, police, fire brigade, social services and the NHS.

First step is to reduce the number of Burnley Borough Councillors from 45 to about ten.
This user liked this post: charlyt

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Thu May 30, 2019 6:12 am

Shouldn't all politicians work together ... for the good of the people.

Thought that's why they were voted in.

Believe that their party politics should be irrelevant at that point. Sadly we all know that isnt true

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Thu May 30, 2019 7:15 am

dpinsussex wrote:Shouldn't all politicians work together ... for the good of the people.

Thought that's why they were voted in.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh, you were being serious..... :?

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu May 30, 2019 9:39 am

Certainly the UKIP councillors I know are local councillors first and foremost.

Maybe the Tory government will release some extra money for the town now it's not Labour run.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2173 times
Has Liked: 3108 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu May 30, 2019 9:53 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:Certainly the UKIP councillors I know are local councillors first and foremost.

Maybe the Tory government will release some extra money for the town now it's not Labour run.
As much as i dislike the idea of UKIP et al, if they are locally focused, and represent ALL their local constituents, fair enough, and yes, there may be a lot to be said for a coalition more aligned with central govt when funding decisions are made, rightly or wrongly.

HatfieldClaret
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by HatfieldClaret » Thu May 30, 2019 9:53 am

tiger76 wrote:Coalitions can work but that's a lot of diverse parties to keep together,i'll be surprised if they last a year,but with current political fortunes who knows.

If Labour were seeking a junior partner normally you'd figure the Lib Dems or the Greens would be a natural fit,but clearly if talks were held with one or both of these they came to nothing.
Here in Welwyn Hatfield the Labour (13 seats) and Liberal (12 seats) groups outnumber the Conservatives (23 seats). The LibLab coalition lasted about 30 minutes so we now have a Tory minority council. The coalition failure was due to the Liberals wanting control of planning and the budget! LaLa land.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1330 times

Post by summitclaret » Thu May 30, 2019 9:59 am

HatfieldClaret wrote:Here in Welwyn Hatfield the Labour (13 seats) and Liberal (12 seats) groups outnumber the Conservatives (23 seats). The LibLab coalition lasted about 30 minutes so we now have a Tory minority council. The coalition failure was due to the Liberals wanting control of planning and the budget! LaLa land.
The answer should be a 3 party coalition.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2173 times
Has Liked: 3108 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu May 30, 2019 11:00 am

For me, local councils, possibly up to and including county should be non-partisan and everyone should stand as independent. Small c conservative etc by all means, but party allegiances seem to be more unhelpful than otherwise in most cases
These 3 users liked this post: Quickenthetempo BertiesBeehole Caballo

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Thu May 30, 2019 12:13 pm

dpinsussex wrote:Shouldn't all politicians work together ... for the good of the people. Thought that's why they were voted in.

Believe that their party politics should be irrelevant at that point. Sadly we all know that isnt true
Labour were offered a powersharing deal with seats on Burnley Council's Executive, working with other parties, but they turned it down !!
They either want to run it on their own, or not be involved, although they have accepted the Chairs of two out of the four Council Committees.
This user liked this post: I luv my wife

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1770 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Thu May 30, 2019 12:19 pm

The new leader of the council is my ex wife's cousin. Good guy, hard working and a Burnley fan. His son played a major part in the creation of the memorial garden at the Turf.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5080 times
Has Liked: 6886 times

Post by bfcjg » Thu May 30, 2019 12:41 pm

The labour party in essence is now a coalition of Marxist, Trotskyites, Hard left, Anti-Semites, plus a smattering of decent people who just want to improve the lot of the ordinary working/non waged person. Alas the latter are in a minority.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu May 30, 2019 12:44 pm

ZizkovClaret wrote:For me, local councils, possibly up to and including county should be non-partisan and everyone should stand as independent. Small c conservative etc by all means, but party allegiances seem to be more unhelpful than otherwise in most cases
Totally agree, as it is good local independents suffer from people voting for wet wipes under the big party badges.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1770 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Thu May 30, 2019 12:49 pm

HatfieldClaret wrote:Here in Welwyn Hatfield the Labour (13 seats) and Liberal (12 seats) groups outnumber the Conservatives (23 seats). The LibLab coalition lasted about 30 minutes so we now have a Tory minority council. The coalition failure was due to the Liberals wanting control of planning and the budget! LaLa land.
Funnily enough I have a letter on my desk from the MP for Welwyn and Hatfield inviting us to participate in a careers fair in June. Only just received it, the letter is dated 10th May and requests that we confirm our attendance no later than 18th April.....

Him and his family used to live round the corner from me when I owned a bakery/sandwich shop a few years ago and were fairly regular customers.

HatfieldClaret
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by HatfieldClaret » Thu May 30, 2019 12:52 pm

summitclaret wrote:The answer should be a 3 party coalition.
To all intents and purposes it is. Conservatives have all the responsibility but don't have the numbers to get anything through without some cross party support. But if the Labour group can't agree with the LibDems, or FibDems as they call them, then there won't be a 3 way coalition.

thomaspaine
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by thomaspaine » Thu May 30, 2019 1:59 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:UKip, Lib Dems, Greens, Cons and Independents have all made a coalition to run Burnley Council in a big blow to Labour.
Don't worry it won't last long - normal service will resume soon.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 1102 times

Post by bfcmik » Thu May 30, 2019 2:19 pm

Clarets4me wrote:Labour were offered a powersharing deal with seats on Burnley Council's Executive, working with other parties, but they turned it down !!
They either want to run it on their own, or not be involved, although they have accepted the Chairs of two out of the four Council Committees.
Committee chairs and membership are based on a tried and tested formula to ensure proper representation of party numbers. All they do is input the seats won by each party into the computer and it prints out a list of committee places by party. The parties then determine who fits where in their portion of the allocation.

And I would never have shared power with UKIP or the Tories and, to be honest, not the the Lib Dems either (3 more manipulative, lying, self serving groups I've never heard of)!

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Thu May 30, 2019 4:26 pm

Labour's deposed Council leader, Mark Townsend, was on the radio this morning, saying that they had refused a joint power-sharing coalition, meaning they would have to work with the Conservatives and UKIP, because of Labour's " values of equality, diversity and fairness " .

This is two days after the Equality & Human Rights Commission launched a formal investigation into the Labour Party, after receiving many complaints regarding institutional anti-semitism in the party, and Labour's failings to address this. Only the BNP has ever been subject to a similar investigation before. Burnley Councillor, Shah Hussain , still serving, was suspended from Labour in 2016 for " anti-semitic" Facebook comments, directed at an Israeli footballer.

Blackburn's Labour Council are apparently not quite so fussy, Trevor Maxfield, a former BNP regional organiser, served as a Labour Executive member on their Council for several years ....
These 2 users liked this post: I luv my wife tiger76