Defour looking for new challenge

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Re: Defour looking for new challenge

Post by dsr » Thu May 30, 2019 11:45 pm

Walton wrote:We played the best football in decades with a 451 with Defour making it tick.
I'm not saying we didn't. But he has been fit for two half seasons in three years, so we can't rely on him.

I thought the football in the second half of last season was good, too. Maybe not in a pretty pretty passing way, but certainly in an excitement and winning and scoring goals way.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu May 30, 2019 11:56 pm

great talent, great vision, but the reality is Burnley need warhorses. The type that play all season and are up for a fight.
might be a quirk of nature that certain footballers who are in the thick of it week in, week out rarely get hurt, he isn't one of them.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri May 31, 2019 12:09 am

If we can get any money for him and save on wasted wages i'd let him go,better that he goes now and allows us to line up a replacement than getting to the autumn and finding he's broken down again,leaving our midfield options limited until the next window.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1178 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Fri May 31, 2019 8:13 am

The linked article, if it really represents the views of Defour, is remarkably honest. I'm sure it is what many players think, despite the usual crap they spout.

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Fri May 31, 2019 10:01 am

With this player we only showed some rhythm to our play when we played the 4 5 1 and to be honest it was pretty on the eye
And most certainly our best football played in this league
There's no doubt he is technically a very good player but what we can't afford to do his build a system around him just to see him break down again then its back to the drawing board to re align the system we haven't got the personal to slot a player in to keep shape we always have to find away and i think all the chopping and changing and fiddling about we weren't getting our motivation in swing till we found some stability after Christmas with a resounding togetherness and a settled side.
Defour unsettles us with lameness we all want to get him back in as we know what a fit Defour possesses.
But this is never going to happen we need to off load and as lots are saying bring in a player to give us some scope in the middle of the park who we can work with and build a solid midfield we have lacked in this area far to long we have had the players but to many times when we have just seemed to be getting it right catastrophe as hit and we really struggle.
We have to piece this area togeather and can not afford to gamble on it in hoping a injury prone player can keep fit we are not stacked to accommodate such a player new blood is the requirement Mr Kilby please UTC

claretcarrot93
Been Liked: 403 times
Has Liked: 77 times

Post by claretcarrot93 » Fri May 31, 2019 10:16 am

Walton wrote:We played the best football in decades with a 451 with Defour making it tick.
Anybody who does not rate a fully fit defour must never have seen him play. Technically miles ahead of the rest of the team and most teams he plays against.

Its a real shame about his injuries but he would be at a bigger club anyway if he stayed injury free. He is a joy to watch the rare occasions we get him fit

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Fri May 31, 2019 10:21 am

Remind me when does his contact run out.

Spike
Been Liked: 598 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Spike » Fri May 31, 2019 1:26 pm

it has cost over a million pounds for every memorable moment that Defour has provided.

Defour has in fact made very little tick in his time here.

KeighleyClaret
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by KeighleyClaret » Fri May 31, 2019 1:42 pm

To be fair, he hasn't had a lot of injuries but those he has had have been bad long term ones. The recent 2 (Cartilage and Calf muscle) both required surgery and account for a whole year out, similar to someone rupturing an ACL.

There is no doubt that his loss in the middle of the 17-18 season led to a reduction in our form and success. Just compare before and after.

The club have supported him through 2 major injuries and made sure he is rehabilitated - in my view we deserve to reap the rewards of that, not just dump him for a cut price fee because he hasn't established his fitness.

I'm looking forward to seeing a fully functioning Defour back in the line up, in fact I cannot wait. If he proves to be surplus to requirements then by all means let him go in January, but it would be foolish to lose such a great talent for less than he is really worth.
This user liked this post: mdd2