How many prem clubs have we got the clout to take a player off them ?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
s6t9a2f3f
Been Liked: 82 times

How many prem clubs have we got the clout to take a player off them ?

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Thu May 30, 2019 1:32 pm

for me - 3

BRIGHTON
NORWICH
SHEFF UNITED

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3181 times
Has Liked: 1864 times

Re: How many prem clubs have we got the clout to take a player off them ?

Post by wilks_bfc » Thu May 30, 2019 1:38 pm

“Clout” on what basis?

I’d knock Brighton off your list based on they will/can offer more wages and has the draw of being “down south” thus near London

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Thu May 30, 2019 1:41 pm

If the player is one of their main men and best players, then the answer is none.

If the player is a peripheral figure in their squad, probably most.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2166 times
Has Liked: 3097 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu May 30, 2019 1:44 pm

The player has to want to come, for whatever reason. We could, in theory take a player off City if he had sufficient desire to play 1st team football.

Mee and Tripps have shown the way

BurnleyPaul
Been Liked: 158 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by BurnleyPaul » Thu May 30, 2019 1:47 pm

If the offer is the right one (the chance to get regular first team games instead of being a bench warmer / squad member) and the player concerned is more focused on playing and developing (including the chance to get international recognition) instead of sitting and picking up a wage whilst looking good for doing very little then I’d say that a move to Burnley is actually an attractive one and we have the “clout” to attract players from most of the clubs in this division.

The moves abroad of players like Sancho, the way that others like Hudson-Odoi are pressing to move on due to lack of game time might mean that young players won’t be satisfied just being on the extreme edge of the “big six” and might actually push to move to smaller clubs where they will get a chance.

Our big issue will come down to whether or not the board can be persuaded to open the club’s wallet to pay the prices demanded! That may be where our “clout” is lacking...

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 508 times

Post by Claretforever » Thu May 30, 2019 2:18 pm

I understand the thought here, on that he means if Burnley and any of the other 19 clubs really wanted a player, then who would we be favourites against.

I’d suggest Norwich and Sheffield United right now, but give it a season of them staying up and then we’d be looking at who comes up next year, providing we survive.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2632 times
Has Liked: 6443 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Thu May 30, 2019 2:21 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:“Clout” on what basis?

I’d knock Brighton off your list based on they will/can offer more wages and has the draw of being “down south” thus near London
I live nearer to London than Brighton and I never understand why being near London would be a great benefit to anyone unless they're employed there. London is an utter cesspit IMO, and I'd rather be nearer to Manchester than London. Each to their own I suppose... ;)

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu May 30, 2019 2:25 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:I live nearer to London than Brighton and I never understand why being near London would be a great benefit to anyone unless they're employed there. London is an utter cesspit IMO, and I'd rather be nearer to Manchester than London. Each to their own I suppose... ;)
So.....I'm on the Manchester bus Route Skipton to Manchester .....what's your route into London?

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2632 times
Has Liked: 6443 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Thu May 30, 2019 2:26 pm

tim_noone wrote:So.....I'm on the Manchester bus Route Skipton to Manchester .....what's your route into London?
Straight down the M1 Tim from MK, your scenery will be much nicer :)

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3181 times
Has Liked: 1864 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Thu May 30, 2019 2:29 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:I live nearer to London than Brighton and I never understand why being near London would be a great benefit to anyone unless they're employed there. London is an utter cesspit IMO, and I'd rather be nearer to Manchester than London. Each to their own I suppose... ;)

I too live closer to London than Brighton

But thankfully I’m still 250miles away :lol:
These 3 users liked this post: Rick_Muller tim_noone simonclaret

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Thu May 30, 2019 2:31 pm

Mk......not for Me unfortunately. Tbh I never understand the Negativity about London. Love it which has filtered down to the Kids and Grankids....great family days down there!
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11027 times
Has Liked: 5643 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu May 30, 2019 2:34 pm

none
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Thu May 30, 2019 2:36 pm

If we’re talking regular first 11 players then none unless for ridiculous money. But then they’d have to be at a newly promoted teams Eg, Billy Sharp for £20/25m.

If we’re talking about players that don’t play much and would start here than probably all teams excluding the top 6. Players from top 6 lubs would have to be too old for their younger teams and not good enough for there first team squads. Eg, Mee, Trippier, Mooy etc.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Thu May 30, 2019 2:46 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:none
So let's get philip billing on board. Young dyche fit.....and overlooked IMO could be a great prospect :D

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11027 times
Has Liked: 5643 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu May 30, 2019 2:57 pm

tim_noone wrote:So let's get philip billing on board. Young dyche fit.....and overlooked IMO could be a great prospect :D
IF the reports are correct, he isn't doing himself any favours

"In an interview with Danish website Bold.dk, Billing described Siewert as 'speciel', which may be translated as 'special' but can also mean 'specific' or 'particular'.

He continued: "[Siewert has] a real German mentality, a little strange. He came in as if he had won the Premier League five times, a little arrogant, and I think most people lost respect for him after a week's time. People could see there was something wrong. He almost tried too hard.

"He came out after the games and blamed the players for losing matches. Which of course it is, but normally coaches would come out and try to protect their own players.

"He did not really do that, and that went on for a little while, so you could sense that everyone did not really support him.""