The Big Step - asking football clubs to review relationship with gambling

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

The Big Step - asking football clubs to review relationship with gambling

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:15 pm

The Big Step.jpg
The Big Step.jpg (75.29 KiB) Viewed 2938 times
The Big Step is an event taking place the weekend after next which will visit Turf Moor on Sunday 16th June at 9 a.m.

Full details can be found at:

http://www.uptheclarets.com/wp-content/ ... g-Step.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some Burnley fans already pledged to be at the Turf on that Sunday morning - more the merrier.
These 8 users liked this post: Long Time Lurker PhiladelphiaChris jdrobbo TVC15 elwaclaret Claret Claretmatt4 bfcwest

ecc
Been Liked: 1394 times
Has Liked: 1272 times

Re: The Big Step - asking football clubs to review relationship with gambling

Post by ecc » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:01 pm

I can't go to TM but i do believe something should be done about gambling and football. I doubt it because in the UK if it makes money then that's all that matters.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:05 pm

ecc wrote:I can't go to TM but i do believe something should be done about gambling and football. I doubt it because in the UK if it makes money then that's all that matters.
I do think Government will step in at some point and at least restrict some of it but clubs will be making too much money to voluntarily change.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2145 times
Has Liked: 3063 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:08 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I do think Government will step in at some point and at least restrict some of it but clubs will be making too much money to voluntarily change.
Admirable but as you say, until it is legislated against it will be hard to have much impact against the tide

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:11 pm

its a great idea to try to address this, clearly the money issue is vital to clubs, but there is a huge cost elsewhere.
doesn't help that **** such as talk sport, unfortunately a mainstream media company, cannot broadcast 5 minutes without gambling references.
They dragged old jon motson back from near obscurity to host a show on their repugnant station, and icon though he once was, he's at it now bellowing out odds at every opportunity.
High time clubs took a stand against this grubby industry, and it is a terrible thing when youngsters are clearly being influenced.
These 8 users liked this post: ClaretTony Bosscat evensteadiereddie TVC15 Buxtonclaret Claret Stalbansclaret bfcwest

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:14 pm

It’ll be banned one day.

It’s mad now when you see old snooker footage of the Embassy World Championship. Imagine that nowadays.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:14 pm

Does anyone actually think that stopping shirt sponsers will stop people gambling? Do people still smoke? Thats been away from sport for years. People are adicted to drugs, yet there's not one advert anywhere for heroin, cocaine etc how do people get addicted to that? This is just a case of certain people wishing to have a go at the club

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:17 pm

Grumps wrote:This is just a case of certain people wishing to have a go at the club
I'm not sure who the certain people are and in any case It's not about our club

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:22 pm

ClaretTony wrote:It's not about our club
Most of the posts on this topic have certainly been about our club, i think it runs to over 80 posts

UpTheClaretsFCBK
Been Liked: 372 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:22 pm

Never really understood people’s problem with betting sponsors. Almost anything in the world is bad for you if you’re over exposed to it.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:25 pm

Grumps wrote:Most of the posts on this topic have certainly been about our club, i think it runs to over 80 posts
Yours was post number 9. I've been asked to publicise the event, which I've done. If you had read it then you will see it isn't about our club other than those taking part are visiting the Turf.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:25 pm

Alcohol is addictive, are we going to ban the bars selling it at every football club, including turf moor?
This user liked this post: Vino blanco

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:26 pm

Grumps wrote:Does anyone actually think that stopping shirt sponsers will stop people gambling? Do people still smoke? Thats been away from sport for years. People are adicted to drugs, yet there's not one advert anywhere for heroin, cocaine etc how do people get addicted to that? This is just a case of certain people wishing to have a go at the club
It’s not just about that. It’s the prevalence of it throughout sport and the amount of pressure it puts on people to gamble.

Like anything. In moderation it’s fine. But even as someone with a pretty strong discipline when it comes to addiction I’ve fell for it plenty.

You can’t watch any live game without ray winstone trying to convince you to put a bet on the next outcome of the game. And with how quick, easy and shame free it is to do it from the comfort of your phone it’s much easier to fall into it than drink or drugs or any other vice.

I’d say it’s almost religious the routine young lads have for Saturday accumulators. Not to mention betting on anything and everything.

It’s easy to get the feeling you HAVE to bet on the next game.

The difference with gambling and other addictions is the tangible reward that you could easily get. Money. Which most people are obsessed with.
These 4 users liked this post: ClaretTony Wile E Coyote Buxtonclaret elwaclaret

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:27 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Yours was post number 9. I've been asked to publicise the event, which I've done. If you had read it then you will see it isn't about our club other than those taking part are visiting the Turf.
Its about banning betting in football, the thread about our new sponsers is totally about the same subject, therefore relevant at this time.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:31 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:It’s not just about that. It’s the prevalence of it throughout sport and the amount of pressure it puts on people to gamble.

Like anything. In moderation it’s fine. But even as someone with a pretty strong discipline when it comes to addiction I’ve fell for it plenty.

You can’t watch any live game without ray winstone trying to convince you to put a bet on the next outcome of the game. And with how quick, easy and shame free it is to do it from the comfort of your phone it’s much easier to fall into it than drink or drugs or any other vice.

I’d say it’s almost religious the routine young lads have for Saturday accumulators. Not to mention betting on anything and everything.

It’s easy to get the feeling you HAVE to bet on the next game.

The difference with gambling and other addictions is the tangible reward that you could easily get. Money. Which most people are obsessed with.
Iam not being rude, and maybe iam missing something, but how does 11 men on a football field put pressure on someone to bet?
I agree the tv adverts offering free bets, or money back offers might tempt people,but thats not we're talking about with the shirt sponsers

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:32 pm

Grumps wrote:Does anyone actually think that stopping shirt sponsers will stop people gambling? Do people still smoke? Thats been away from sport for years. People are adicted to drugs, yet there's not one advert anywhere for heroin, cocaine etc how do people get addicted to that? This is just a case of certain people wishing to have a go at the club
Well not as many as used to:

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:36 pm

aggi wrote:Well not as many as used to:

Still a large amount of people where no advertising exists....what about illegal drugs, have you got figures for those?

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:41 pm

Well said cricketfieldclarets .
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:42 pm

It is 6/1 to have all betting sponsors banned and 1/2 to stay permitted
This user liked this post: Funkydrummer

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:43 pm

Grumps wrote:Still a large amount of people where no advertising exists....what about illegal drugs, have you got figures for those?
Does that take into account people who started smoking whilst advertising was allowed against those who started since advertising has been banned?

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:48 pm

Dyched wrote:Does that take into account people who started smoking whilst advertising was allowed against those who started since advertising has been banned?
I doubt it, lots of people who weren't even born when it was banned are smoking today though....how did they become aware of smoking, other social pressures away from advertising?
If people are really bothered about people getting addicted to betting,then they need to start with tv and newspapers, who offer incentives to bet, not just an advert on a shirt

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:15 pm

Grumps wrote:Still a large amount of people where no advertising exists....what about illegal drugs, have you got figures for those?
Well a 25% decrease in 6 years would generally be viewed as pretty impressive.

I think that what your argument boils down to is that all advertising is pointless. You could save some companies a lot of money with this revelation.
This user liked this post: Tricky Trevor

boyyanno
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by boyyanno » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:28 pm

I'd just like to say that the problem isn't just about betting sponsors on shirts, that's a drop in the ocean compared to everything else. If you watch football on TV you are plagued with betting adverts, you go to a ground and the hoardings, the shirts, even the stands are advertising it.

Football reaches millions of kids worldwide, using that platform so do the betting companies. I know a lot of people in their early twenties who put bets on nearly each week. It's almost like they have conditioned a lot of young people to believe betting and football come hand in hand. What a shame that is.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:35 pm

aggi wrote:Well a 25% decrease in 6 years would generally be viewed as pretty impressive.

I think that what your argument boils down to is that all advertising is pointless. You could save some companies a lot of money with this revelation.
My argument is that football, and burnley fc are being blamed for something that the problem is clearly somewhere else
If youd never bet, or were tempted to bet, which of the following would get you interested
1. Tv advert for a betting company giving you enhanced odds, or money back on a failed bid to put back on another bet
2. A newspaper advert for the above offer
3. A tv advert telling you how much you could win with online bingo
4. A newspaper advert for the above offer
5. A tv advert telling you you could win millions if only you bought a lottery ticket, or a scratch card
6. Radio advert for a day at the races, with a free bet thrown in
7. An advert on a football shirt

If people are serious about stopping getting addicted to betting, lets start whete it really is having an affect, and not the easy target of football, and closer to home Burnley football club.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:10 pm

What a magnificent initiative this is! Anybody that knows me will know my current stance on all things gambling at Burnley football club.

I am saddened that Turf Moor is quite literally saturated with gambling sponsorship. During a one minute period in a game last season, I counted 17 types of gambling promotion within the ground… be it on the screen, the shirt, static boards or the rolling digital displays.

I have asked the club on three occasions if they will be engaging with this initiative and I have not been given a response.

The money we get from Ladbrokes for a single season is an absolute drop in the ocean when you consider just how much we are exposed to it on match days!

Whoever is responsible for the club’s social media page has absolutely no sense of sensitivity towards the issues of mental health and the effect that gambling can have on it (as well as on relationships)....as was seen last season when a tweet promoting gambling was issued less than 30 seconds after a tweet about promoting mental health awareness… To rub salt in, the gambling promotion on that instance implied that ‘you’d be a sucker not to’ have a bet on that day!

I have engaged with a couple of people from the club, as well as GamblingwithLives and BeGambleAware. It’s interesting that the response I received from people at the club was that, ‘...there’s no harm in it’ (gambling) and that, ‘Money talks!’ Not surprisingly, the online charities had something very different to say, especially about working-class towns such as Burnley.

I desperately wish we would follow the example set by Lutontow I desperately wish we would follow the example set by Luton Town, who have completely removed any form of gambling advertisement from their ground, as they acknowledged l the effect gambling can have on their own fans away from the stadium each week and that they had a sense of responsibility to work with their own fans within their community!!

I’m pleased that people are starting to talk about this. There is clearly a lot of resentment about and allowed people speak up nationwide, the sooner something will be done about it because it really can destroy lives!
A40C7A44-9E8C-4DDD-9F77-1E9D9FA440EB.jpeg
A40C7A44-9E8C-4DDD-9F77-1E9D9FA440EB.jpeg (283.67 KiB) Viewed 2544 times
0765D08A-F6F1-4C59-A261-DF5B07D06FA1.jpeg
0765D08A-F6F1-4C59-A261-DF5B07D06FA1.jpeg (593.13 KiB) Viewed 2544 times
626ECB94-7CC4-4608-8F5D-23C0DF2E595F.png
626ECB94-7CC4-4608-8F5D-23C0DF2E595F.png (495.27 KiB) Viewed 2544 times
199F7988-3B56-40B0-8383-6F75265BC76A.jpeg
199F7988-3B56-40B0-8383-6F75265BC76A.jpeg (444.38 KiB) Viewed 2544 times
F3B3EFF5-C1BE-4273-B55B-B993944A8168.jpeg
F3B3EFF5-C1BE-4273-B55B-B993944A8168.jpeg (391.5 KiB) Viewed 2544 times
These 3 users liked this post: simonclaret Claret bfcwest

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:14 pm

The problem with the shirt logo/sponsor is that a relatively large sum of money has been paid because the betting company is aware of how many viewers worldwide will see, yes, even little old Burnley. The logo and sponsorship isn't necessarily aimed at the local market.
As a poster stated above, it is, however, part of the relentless barrage of betting advertising that goes on in the media including the inescapable and incredibly clumsy branding of the CFS, that is designed purely to lure more and more punters with the suggestion of easy money.
Just think of the absolutely vast sums of money the betting industry must spend on all their forms of advertising - why on earth would they do that if folk weren't falling for it ?
I must say I was embarrassed when the new shirt sponsor was announced. We are a classy club and we are now wealthy beyond our wildest dreams, we've missed a chance to show the rest of the football world how it can be done.
This user liked this post: bfcwest

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:16 pm

Sorry, didn't see the Luton story. Villa did it years ago publicising "Acorns" , a local children's hospice. For nothing.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:34 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:The problem with the shirt logo/sponsor is that a relatively large sum of money has been paid because the betting company is aware of how many viewers worldwide will see, yes, even little old Burnley. The logo and sponsorship isn't necessarily aimed at the local market.
As a poster stated above, it is, however, part of the relentless barrage of betting advertising that goes on in the media including the inescapable and incredibly clumsy branding of the CFS, that is designed purely to lure more and more punters with the suggestion of easy money.
Just think of the absolutely vast sums of money the betting industry must spend on all their forms of advertising - why on earth would they do that if folk weren't falling for it ?
I must say I was embarrassed when the new shirt sponsor was announced. We are a classy club and we are now wealthy beyond our wildest dreams, we've missed a chance to show the rest of the football world how it can be done.
As you say...little old Burnley.....i doubt weve missed a chance to show the football world how its done, nobody would take a blind bit of notice.....but lets all stop subscribing to sky, that might make a difference, but we wont.
Nobody knows the figures involved, but the love bet deal might just be the difference between the club being able to keep season tickets at the same price, or god forbid making the fans pay. Imagine the outcry on here if season tickets went up. Everyone is happy they stay the same,without giving a thought how the club can afford it, so dont be too embarrassed with the sponsors
This user liked this post: Funkydrummer

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:46 pm

Grumps wrote:As you say...little old Burnley.....i doubt weve missed a chance to show the football world how its done, nobody would take a blind bit of notice.....but lets all stop subscribing to sky, that might make a difference, but we wont.
Nobody knows the figures involved, but the love bet deal might just be the difference between the club being able to keep season tickets at the same price, or god forbid making the fans pay. Imagine the outcry on here if season tickets went up. Everyone is happy they stay the same,without giving a thought how the club can afford it, so dont be too embarrassed with the sponsors
Given the club has been posting net profits of £30m and the amount of money we have made then how can our shirt sponsorship be the difference between freezing and increasing season ticket prices ?
How much do you think we get from the shirt sponsor ?

The “outcry” as you put it would only be because the club are putting up tickets because we are making £29.5m instead of £30m....not because we have taken a smaller shirt sponsorship deal.
Last edited by TVC15 on Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:46 pm

Grumps wrote:Iam not being rude, and maybe iam missing something, but how does 11 men on a football field put pressure on someone to bet?
I agree the tv adverts offering free bets, or money back offers might tempt people,but thats not we're talking about with the shirt sponsers
It’s just another way of exposing people to it. If there was no market for it they wouldn’t pay millions for it.

To put it in context.

I will walk to the turf in my lovebet shirt. Past coral. Into the Ladbrokes stand. To watch my team play against another team in a dafabet shirt. While the match is being shown on sky who own skybet who will be showing adverts for bet365 while promoting their soccer six bet. Hosted by Chris Kamara who is the face of ladbrokes.

The irony of it all is that one of our most recognised players was banned for betting with some or all of them.

I’ve nonissue with people betting. No issue with them betting whatever amount they want. The issue is with the bookmaking firms targeting naive and vulnerable people. While working in cahoots with clubs.

The fact our club announced the sponsorship with ladbrokes on or around the date Barton was banned was the most ironic of all.

The other thing which is overlooked is the age thing. Kids can’t gamble. Therefore can’t wear the official shirts. We could potentially even have a player in the first team unable to wear the shirt. Therefore there is obviously a reason that kids can’t wear the shirt. Because it’s an issue. So from a moral point of view we should only have sponsors that aren’t promoting things where you have to be a certain age.
These 3 users liked this post: Wile E Coyote Claret evensteadiereddie

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:49 pm

On the Plus side on hearing the news my nephews reaction was YESSSSSS. I GET TO HAVE A PLAIN SHIRT AGAIN!!!

Boys got style.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:50 pm

TVC15 wrote:Given the club has been posting net profits of £30m and the amount of money we have made then how can our shirt sponsorship be the difference between freezing and increasing season ticket prices ?
How much do you think we get from the shirt sponsor ?

The “outcry” as you put it would only be because the club are putting up tickets because we are making £29.5m instead of £30m....not because we have taken a smaller shirt sponsorship deal.
We need those profits to survive...unless of course we dont sign new players, or their wages
If the deal was a million a year for three years, yes it would make the difference between keeping prices the same, or increasing them

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:54 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:It’s just another way of exposing people to it. If there was no market for it they wouldn’t pay millions for it.

To put it in context.

I will walk to the turf in my lovebet shirt. Past coral. Into the Ladbrokes stand. To watch my team play against another team in a dafabet shirt. While the match is being shown on sky who own skybet who will be showing adverts for bet365 while promoting their soccer six bet. Hosted by Chris Kamara who is the face of ladbrokes.

The irony of it all is that one of our most recognised players was banned for betting with some or all of them.

I’ve nonissue with people betting. No issue with them betting whatever amount they want. The issue is with the bookmaking firms targeting naive and vulnerable people. While working in cahoots with clubs.

The fact our club announced the sponsorship with ladbrokes on or around the date Barton was banned was the most ironic of all.

The other thing which is overlooked is the age thing. Kids can’t gamble. Therefore can’t wear the official shirts. We could potentially even have a player in the first team unable to wear the shirt. Therefore there is obviously a reason that kids can’t wear the shirt. Because it’s an issue. So from a moral point of view we should only have sponsors that aren’t promoting things where you have to be a certain age.
So its all the companies fault, not Bartons? Who wasnt even at burnley when it happened...must be all the boxing adverts that make him hit people...allegedly.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1985 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:56 pm

Grumps wrote:We need those profits to survive...unless of course we dont sign new players, or their wages
If the deal was a million a year for three years, yes it would make the difference between keeping prices the same, or increasing them
But your argument rests on us not mitigating that loss with alternative sponsorship. The gambling companies may be the biggest advertisers, but they are far from the only... if BFC suddenly took a stance, the world would take notice.... making us a far more attractive target for advertisers.... and a far more valuable deal would result.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:58 pm

Unbelievable to think that there are people who don’t believe there is a correlation between advertising and gambling (or alcoholism, smoking / cancer rates etc)
Why on earth would billions be spent on something that had no impact ?

And clearly our shirt sponsorship - or all betting company shirt sponsorship across every football club - does not have a big as an impact as TV / media advertising but that does not make it right and it 100% has an impact or they would not spend money on it.
There are many people lobbying against the TV advertising already - fans or clubs taking a stance against shirt sponsorship will just add more weight and pressure on this being regulated....nobody ever thought this would happen with smoking but it did...and eventually it will happen with gambling even if this is regulation initially to limit advertising in some form or other.
In the meantime individuals, companies or clubs can take their own stance - I hope Burnley FC do as we are in a far better position financially than many clubs to be able to.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:05 pm

Grumps wrote:We need those profits to survive...unless of course we dont sign new players, or their wages
What are you talking about “survive” ? Have you seen the last few years accounts ? We are one of the most profitable clubs in Europe and we are one of the only debt free ones also. Our players contracts all have relegation clauses and we are not answerable to private investors or shareholders...we could not be in a better position financially to do this.
I could get your argument (but would still not agree) if we were a club that went mad in the transfer market like Fulham or with wages like West Ham but we don’t and never will be under this board....so how can £500k or a million a year (or even several million) be the difference between survival and not ?
And even if we miraculously transform ourselves into a “betting the ranch” type club history shows every year that doesn’t guarantee survival...unless you are one of the top 5 or 6 clubs.

Spike
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Post by Spike » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:12 pm

Folk will have the odd flutter anyway!

The obscene shirt sponsorships are the dodgy ones aimed at fixing FFP

If gambling isn’t allowed as a revenue stream for the smaller clubs then the fat cheating cats get an even bigger advantage

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:14 pm

TVC15 wrote:Unbelievable to think that there are people who don’t believe there is a correlation between advertising and gambling (or alcoholism, smoking / cancer rates etc)
Why on earth would billions be spent on something that had no impact ?

And clearly our shirt sponsorship - or all betting company shirt sponsorship across every football club - does not have a big as an impact as TV / media advertising but that does not make it right and it 100% has an impact or they would not spend money on it.
There are many people lobbying against the TV advertising already - fans or clubs taking a stance against shirt sponsorship will just add more weight and pressure on this being regulated....nobody ever thought this would happen with smoking but it did...and eventually it will happen with gambling even if this is regulation initially to limit advertising in some form or other.
In the meantime individuals, companies or clubs can take their own stance - I hope Burnley FC do as we are in a far better position financially than many clubs to be able to.
Smoking is not advertised
You totally miss my point that there are many outlets who advertise betting more than burnley football club, yet i dont see campaigns to ban ITV, who as well as adverts have programmes sponsored by companies trying to make you bet,also at a time when youngsters are watching. Like ive said i doubt a football shirt has made someone go and bet, yet a fancy advert with all kind of incentives might just do.
By all means be against betting adverts, but aim it at those that actually could get someone hooked

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:18 pm

TVC15 wrote:What are you talking about “survive” ? Have you seen the last few years accounts ? We are one of the most profitable clubs in Europe and we are one of the only debt free ones also. Our players contracts all have relegation clauses and we are not answerable to private investors or shareholders...we could not be in a better position financially to do this.
I could get your argument (but would still not agree) if we were a club that went mad in the transfer market like Fulham or with wages like West Ham but we don’t and never will be under this board....so how can £500k or a million a year (or even several million) be the difference between survival and not ?
And even if we miraculously transform ourselves into a “betting the ranch” type club history shows every year that doesn’t guarantee survival...unless you are one of the top 5 or 6 clubs.
Imagine we get relegated, we might just need those profits, because that is how this club is run. Just because a business makes a profit, it doesnt mean you have to spend it all, there are many football clubs fallen foul of that direction. Any income which maintains those profit levels should be welcomed

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1985 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:21 pm

Grumps wrote:Smoking is not advertised
You totally miss my point that there are many outlets who advertise betting more than burnley football club, yet i dont see campaigns to ban ITV, who as well as adverts have programmes sponsored by companies trying to make you bet,also at a time when youngsters are watching. Like ive said i doubt a football shirt has made someone go and bet, yet a fancy advert with all kind of incentives might just do.
By all means be against betting adverts, but aim it at those that actually could get someone hooked
There has been little movement on gambling advertising for I suspect one very good reason... the BIG British companies were given TV advertising as an outlet in response to having had them waste millions on their “Viva Las...” casino strip. Won by Blackpool before the government U - Turn on the idea. It was clearly short sighted but no one realised how big the monster was about to grow.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:57 pm

Just to add, I refuse to by a shirt containing such awful and classless advertisement!

I’d pay an extra tenner for a shirt that was sponsorless.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1898 times
Has Liked: 1965 times

Post by Vino blanco » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:50 pm

I blame Brexit and Adolf Hitler.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:52 pm

He will be meeting club representatives and fans at each ground to start the discussion about what clubs could be doing to help their own fans who have major gambling problems or are at risk. Ideas include:

No gambling logos on children/under-16 sized kit
Problem gambling advisers available at the stadium on match days
Problem gambling awareness messaging around the ground
Whistle to whistle ban on gambling advertising in the ground
Promoting problem gambling support and treatment services

I thought the first idea was already the rule?

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:01 pm

Grumps wrote:Smoking is not advertised
How did I miss your point ?
I agreed with you that TV advertising is much more prevalent and has greater impact. But I also pointed out that there are already people campaigning against this.
It still doesn’t mean that people should not take a stance against football clubs if they choose to.

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:48 pm

Never seen someone miss the point as much has grumps has on this thread!
This user liked this post: bfcwest

bfcwest
Been Liked: 69 times
Has Liked: 85 times

Post by bfcwest » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:54 pm

It is obscene how gambling has become ingrained in football, it is very dangerous and is ruining lives.
Having the words "LOVE BET" on our tops is really quite shocking. What does it say about our club?!?
Burnley FC seem to have lost their moral compass completely.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:58 pm

Grumps wrote:Does anyone actually think that stopping shirt sponsers will stop people gambling?
Ladies and Gentlemen... The Straw Man Fallacy

https://youtu.be/hfil34ayaEU?t=19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:58 pm

Claretmatt4 wrote:Never seen someone miss the point as much has grumps has on this thread!
Name me one person who has gambled because of a football shirt?
What point have i missed?

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:59 pm

CombatClaret wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen... The Straw Man Fallacy

https://youtu.be/hfil34ayaEU?t=19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
?

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:01 pm

CombatClaret wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen... The Straw Man Fallacy

?