Uefa Nations League: Portugal vs Switzerland

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Re: Uefa Nations League: Portugal vs Switzerland

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:52 pm

jrgbfc wrote:Feel sorry for the people of Porto having to put up with some of the cocks who follow England for nearly a full week. In a regular tournament it's generally 2 or 3 days in one city before moving on.
Was around Douro yesterday afternoon. And full of absolute arseholes.

Nicest ones we met were some dickheads who called my nephew a '******* Burnley ****' for having the audacity to be wearing his Burnley shirt.

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:53 pm

Reports on news state kickin off with england fans

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11027 times
Has Liked: 5642 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:55 pm

theroyaldyche wrote:Reports on news state kickin off with england fans
all over twitter, it would be fabulous if they all got knicked and were made to live in a Portuguese prison for a few years

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:57 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:England fans kicking off, not good.
predicted it as soon as we got off the train yesterday. Was completely inevitable.

Abusing anyone and everyone who had the cheek to walk past. Usual songs...

Got fed up of apologising for being English before anything had even started wherever we went. Seen it pretty much at every venue with the very odd exception. Usually when they were outnumbered / unprotected.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:59 pm

No doubt they'll be crying about the Portuguese police being heavy-handed.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:02 pm

jrgbfc wrote:No doubt they'll be crying about the Portuguese police being heavy-handed.
Probably blame the Russians again

theroyaldyche

Post by theroyaldyche » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:04 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Probably blame the Russians again
Dint kick off when there about did they haha

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:16 pm

Reckon the FA will be seriously embarrassed by this after they mounted that very public campaign about fan behaviour. Unfortunately all the lads who've gone over, sampled some of the local culture, had a drink and mixed with the locals without acting like a complete tool will be overshadowed by these clowns.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1879 times
Has Liked: 837 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:22 pm

It’s a cycle they struggle to break out of. Go to a foreign city, abuse other people, locate Irish bar, sing about the IRA and Germans, film themselves throwing beer, throw beer bottles at police, run as fast they can when challenged.

thelaughingclaret
Been Liked: 291 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Post by thelaughingclaret » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:33 pm

VAR and UEFA set a precedent tonight, from now on it appears that if you kick your own leg and fall over you will be award a foul.
What the hell is happing to the game? VAR is making it all fall apart. Absolutely shocking, and in the studio Heskey and whoever the other one was (looks like all the regular pundits are on holiday) agreed with the ref! What? I just don’t get what direction football is heading to when that is a foul!? I guess he did make contact in the form of eye contact but when did the law change from actual physical contact? It’s a shambles and we have all this to look forward to in the league next season. Brilliant.
Also why does it take so long. If it’s “clear and obvious” it shouldn’t take 5 minutes watching 50 replays from 20 different angles.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32369 times
Has Liked: 5268 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:11 pm

jrgbfc wrote:Unfortunately all the lads who've gone over, sampled some of the local culture, had a drink and mixed with the locals without acting like a complete tool will be overshadowed by these clowns.
That unfortunately is how it always will be. Reminds me of the story my old headmaster used to tell once every year in assembly on the day before the school founders day service. We had to make our way to St Peter’s and he always pointed out that there were 600 boys at the school and if 599 behaved and the other one didn’t it would be the one who would be noticed and would give everyone else a bad reputation.

That’s how it is and all of us who know how to behave have to suffer for those who either don’t or won’t.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:20 pm

You'd think that Oporto was ablaze and there was raping and pillaging throughout.

Some of the 'sensible ones' do love a good story.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:36 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:You'd think that Oporto was ablaze and there was raping and pillaging throughout.

Some of the 'sensible ones' do love a good story.
I was in porto yesterday. I saw first hand how they were behaving.

theroyaldyche

Post by theroyaldyche » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:50 pm

Get into em

PWBFC
Been Liked: 139 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Post by PWBFC » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:51 pm

I managed about 8 England away games before I gave up. Most of them their bark is worst than their bite but it’s all pretty embarrassing stuff.
I love travel and I love football, unfortunately they aren’t very compatible when it comes to following England.

Bin Ont Turf

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:08 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:I was in porto yesterday. I saw first hand how they were behaving.
Like you've never seen it before, shock, horror.

Bin Ont Turf

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:12 am

PWBFC wrote: I love travel and I love football, unfortunately they aren’t very compatible when it comes to following England.
You love to travel, yet following England (away) you have found it impossible to avoid the knobheads who are usually localised to the main square/main drag of bars and pubs in a city?

PWBFC
Been Liked: 139 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Post by PWBFC » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:23 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:You love to travel, yet following England (away) you have found it impossible to avoid the knobheads who are usually localised to the main square/main drag of bars and pubs in a city?
Where did I say that?

Targetman
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by Targetman » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:42 am

We were also in Porto last night. It seemed like a lot of the England fans were drinking on the riverside near the city centre, seemed like several thousand were there. It was very noisy but didn't see any trouble, plenty of very young English lads looking the worse for wear after drinking most of the day. A British policeman I spoke to last night told me there were 15,000 England fans in Porto who would be travelling to the game with Holland in Guimaraes tonight.

Being regular followers of England away we know what can happen late at at night after the fans have been drinking all day. We walked just a few streets away, found some very nice bars across from the river and had a few beers there. We watched the Portugal v Switzerland game there trouble/incident free, the locals couldn't have been more welcoming to us.
We returned to our appartment just before midnight without seeing or hearing about any trouble. So it is possible to avoid these things.

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1168 times

Post by Falcon » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:57 am

Swiss looked very good, especially Shakiri, but missed enough chances to win two games.

Ronaldo clinical when it mattered.

Will be a tough game whichever of these two we play on Sunday.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4180 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:07 am

Targetman wrote:We were also in Porto last night. It seemed like a lot of the England fans were drinking on the riverside near the city centre, seemed like several thousand were there. It was very noisy but didn't see any trouble, plenty of very young English lads looking the worse for wear after drinking most of the day. A British policeman I spoke to last night told me there were 15,000 England fans in Porto who would be travelling to the game with Holland in Guimaraes tonight.

Being regular followers of England away we know what can happen late at at night after the fans have been drinking all day. We walked just a few streets away, found some very nice bars across from the river and had a few beers there. We watched the Portugal v Switzerland game there trouble/incident free, the locals couldn't have been more welcoming to us.
We returned to our appartment just before midnight without seeing or hearing about any trouble. So it is possible to avoid these things.

The truth doesn't help with myths though, couldn't you have added shops were ablaze, bars were trashed and people stabbed it helps with the hysteria.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:17 am

How long will it be before the police and the courts get a grip on these scumbags that besmirch the name of true British football fans and come down on them really hard.
We are way way too soft in this country. They should be birched until the cowards cry for mercy.
Harsh perhaps, but that is the only sort of punishmemt these idiots would understand.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:31 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Was around Douro yesterday afternoon. And full of absolute arseholes.

Nicest ones we met were some dickheads who called my nephew a '******* Burnley ****' for having the audacity to be wearing his Burnley shirt.
Really is hard to understand abuse for wearing your local team colours , I really don't get it with certain English fans .
Now if you ever wanted talk about football on an away trip following Ireland a local club shirt is the way to go , goodness you have people wanting to have a bit of banter and talk about the Ieague of Ireland .

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2166 times
Has Liked: 3097 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:37 am

The Enclosure wrote:How long will it be before the police and the courts get a grip on these scumbags that besmirch the name of true British football fans and come down on them really hard.
We are way way too soft in this country. They should be birched until the cowards cry for mercy.
Harsh perhaps, but that is the only sort of punishmemt these idiots would understand.
Don't expect the Czech police to be quite so measured as the Portuguese seem to have been, frankly.

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:38 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:predicted it as soon as we got off the train yesterday. Was completely inevitable.

Abusing anyone and everyone who had the cheek to walk past. Usual songs...

Got fed up of apologising for being English before anything had even started wherever we went. Seen it pretty much at every venue with the very odd exception. Usually when they were outnumbered / unprotected.
Coming over in October? Should be in Prague for both games now as the Northern Irish have insisted on prague for their friendly a few days after

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:36 pm

Falcon wrote:Swiss looked very good, especially Shakiri, but missed enough chances to win two games.

Ronaldo clinical when it mattered.

Will be a tough game whichever of these two we play on Sunday.
You're tempting fate there Falcon,if the Dutch triumph tonight you'll be to blame :lol:

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1168 times

Post by Falcon » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:38 pm

How so? We could be playing either!

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:46 pm

tiger76 wrote:You're tempting fate there Falcon,if the Dutch triumph tonight you'll be to blame :lol:
There's a 3rd place playoff Sunday afternoon, with the final in the evening.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:29 pm

Tribesmen wrote:Really is hard to understand abuse for wearing your local team colours , I really don't get it with certain English fans .
Now if you ever wanted talk about football on an away trip following Ireland a local club shirt is the way to go , goodness you have people wanting to have a bit of banter and talk about the Ieague of Ireland .
Yep. First tournament away in ukraine same of me. Wtf you wearing a burnley shirt for. Ironic thing is the same ***** probably had club flags draped on some local bar...

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:30 pm

ZizkovClaret wrote:Coming over in October? Should be in Prague for both games now as the Northern Irish have insisted on prague for their friendly a few days after
No. Ive still got my membership. And will take advantage of tickets if we get to the semis or beyond next summer. But thats it.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:30 pm

Besides i love prague. Cant imagine going with england.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:51 pm

The Enclosure wrote:How long will it be before the police and the courts get a grip on these scumbags that besmirch the name of true British football fans and come down on them really hard.
Foreigners were saying that the English were a brawling, drunken horde over 900 years ago. It seems to be trait that we drink a lot then go out looking for a fight. You can see it every weekend in town and city centres so why would you expect it to be any different at a football match abroad? I may not be a pleasant thought for you but even the nicest people can turn into absolute a-holes after a day in the heat with alcohol available all the time.

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:49 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:No. Ive still got my membership. And will take advantage of tickets if we get to the semis or beyond next summer. But thats it.
Fancy getting some in the away end for me? ha

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:07 pm

Burnley back four and keeper required.

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:01 am

[quote="bfcmik"]Foreigners were saying that the English were a brawling, drunken horde over 900 years ago. It seems to be trait that we drink a lot then go out looking for a fight. You can see it every weekend in town and city centres so why would you expect it to be any different at a football match abroad? I may not be a pleasant thought for you but even the nicest people can turn into absolute a-holes after a day in the heat with alcohol available all the time.[/quote

Oh well that makes it ok then.There was me thinking it was football related.