BFC TRANSFER NEWS (MUST CONTAIN LINK)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Re: BFC TRANSFER NEWS (MUST CONTAIN LINK)

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:03 am

Not incoming, but noticed Cameron Dummigan is being sought after. Grimsby knocked back, and claims a couple of league 1 clubs are interested.
Playing in the champions league for Dundalk this week.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:25 am

Let's hope his immaturity quickly disappears.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32239 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:29 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:That arguments fine when you are comfortable in the league. It was fine the first year we stayed up, as the squad was definitely weak. We are in a position now, where we have to improve the starting XI. If you stand still at this level, you get overtaken.
We know the money isnt a bottomless pit, so spending any of it on a back up for a player who if not injured will probably play the full season is a waste. Nothing against Pieters, just I think we should be prioritising elsewhere.
Who says we are not prioritising elsewhere? I doubt very much that 100% of our concentration was on this deal.

One priority we have is to bring in a left back to replace Stephen Ward. We are bringing in an experienced Prenier League player with 18 full caps for the Netherlands. That sounds absolutely fine to me.
These 2 users liked this post: tiger76 BertiesBeehole

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:37 am

IanMcL wrote:Let's hope his immaturity quickly disappears.
Who from? I'm trying to keep up.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:50 am

ClaretTony wrote:Who says we are not prioritising elsewhere? I doubt very much that 100% of our concentration was on this deal.

One priority we have is to bring in a left back to replace Stephen Ward. We are bringing in an experienced Prenier League player with 18 full caps for the Netherlands. That sounds absolutely fine to me.
We need an experienced left-back and Pieters fits the bill,also as he's in the last year of his contract,and Stoke are reducing their wage bill,he'll be a relatively cheap addition to our squad,good business for me.

UpTheClaretsFCBK
Been Liked: 372 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:01 am

Who is a better option for us at left back?

30-year-old Erik Pieters, who has played 170 Premier League games.

33-year-old Stephen Ward, who has played 152 Premier League games.

It seems like fantastic business to me.

Stoke City fans seemed to think he couldn’t get into their first team, but played 21 games last season and spent the second half on loan?

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Erik Pieters - BOOM!!!!

Post by Rowls » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:05 am

Dutch international left back.

BOOM!!!!!!
Daily Mail wrote:Burnley are on the brink of completing a permanent deal for Stoke defender Erik Pieters.

The Dutch left-back back is set to leave following six years with Stoke, having joined from PSV Eindhoven back in the summer of 2013.

Pieters, who enjoyed five campaigns in the Premier League with the Potters, spent the second half of last season on loan in Ligue 1 with Amiens.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... Stoke.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1208 times
Has Liked: 7098 times

Post by Quicknick » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:52 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:That was the point I made though. Pietersen isnt better than Taylor, so why waste money him as a back up
Pietersen? That didn't take long.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:29 am

Quicknick wrote:Pietersen? That didn't take long.
He'll fit in really well alongside Woods and Hendricks :lol:
This user liked this post: longsidepies

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:03 am

Steddyman wrote:You guys realise that Boden probably does hear about transfers well before he posts them, but is given the information under confidence. If he betrays that confidence, then he will no longer be told anything from the club again.
So you agree that he doesn't actually "know" anything, not good for a local joirnalist to be so pally,pally with the club.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Re: Erik Pieters - BOOM!!!!

Post by ClaretAndJew » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:32 am

Be original.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:33 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:That was the point I made though. Pietersen isnt better than Taylor, so why waste money him as a back up
Firstly i think Piertersen used to play cricket so I agree signing him as back up would be the wrong decision.
But putting that aside it isn’t wasting money buying an experienced decent player as back up - last season is very clearly evidence of that with Lowton and Bardsley. Not only does this give you cover for injuries as we saw when Lowts was injured but it also provides you competition for places as we also saw when Lowton was dropped.

What’s your alternative ?
No back up at all ?
Or a free transfer with no experience / who isn’t any good ?

Can’t think of any Premier League club who would risk going into a season with only one left back.

DAVETHEVICAR
Been Liked: 825 times
Has Liked: 1609 times

Post by DAVETHEVICAR » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:49 am

Hope so—-would be an excellent cover for Charlie Taylor.

UpTheClaretsFCBK

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:01 am

Steddyman wrote:You guys realise that Boden probably does hear about transfers well before he posts them, but is given the information under confidence. If he betrays that confidence, then he will no longer be told anything from the club again.
If that’s true, someone at the club loves winding him up. He reported categorically in the case of both Defour and Barton that the stories were untrue and they wouldn’t be signing for Burnley.

Blyclaret
Been Liked: 207 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Blyclaret » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:09 am

Boden reported Pieters story 1 hour after John Percy posted it on his twitter account.
Make of that what you like.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:19 am

AndyClaret wrote:So you agree that he doesn't actually "know" anything, not good for a local joirnalist to be so pally,pally with the club.
All local sports journalists have to be ‘pally pally’ with the club. Dyche and his staff give nothing away, all fees are undisclosed - it’s just the way it is. Other clubs are more open. If Boden starts giving info away w/o permission, he probably loses trust from Dyche, so no interviews post match etc.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Nonayforever » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:23 am

I thought the idea of an understudy / cover was to get a young up and coming guy who learnt his trade from the first team player.
He then slots into the first team when a player gets injured or suspended, retires or gets transferred.
But what do I know.
Good luck Erik.

Blyclaret
Been Liked: 207 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Blyclaret » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:28 am

So Charlie Taylor gets injured in first game against Southampton
And we have a young inexperienced left back to replace him
Ok ye sounds good....

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:30 am

Why would the club share news but then swear him to secrecy? Seems a bit of a waste of time telling him.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2316 times
Has Liked: 2692 times

Post by fatboy47 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:31 am

Boden doesn't know sh1t.
This user liked this post: AndyClaret

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:44 am

FactualFrank wrote:Who from? I'm trying to keep up.
https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/f ... rs-3064594

CFS
Been Liked: 231 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by CFS » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:44 am

DAVETHEVICAR wrote:Hope so—-would be an excellent cover for Charlie Taylor.
He's Erik Pieters not carlos

UpTheClaretsFCBK

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:47 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:Why would the club share news but then swear him to secrecy? Seems a bit of a waste of time telling him.
I understand why they might do that out of professional curtesy.

Media outlets don’t just find out about things and then report them without prep.

If they find out things that may happen or irons in the fire, they can have articles and reports ready to go when they have the green light.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:48 am

TVC15 wrote:Firstly i think Piertersen used to play cricket so I agree signing him as back up would be the wrong decision.
But putting that aside it isn’t wasting money buying an experienced decent player as back up - last season is very clearly evidence of that with Lowton and Bardsley. Not only does this give you cover for injuries as we saw when Lowts was injured but it also provides you competition for places as we also saw when Lowton was dropped.

What’s your alternative ?
No back up at all ?
Or a free transfer with no experience / who isn’t any good ?

Can’t think of any Premier League club who would risk going into a season with only one left back.
I would bring the likes of Koiki into the squad. I know he isnt proven, but he never will be unless we try. Development squad should be for kids, I'm amazed how many players stay on the books until their 20s, only to be let go. I would have thought their potential would have been clear before that age. Loans in the lower league are good for fitness, and the mental side of the game. I dont think it makes them improved skillwise. You get that from competing against the best.
As I said, I've nothing against Pieters, but we should be keeping as much money as we can for that far more important Centre Mid we need.

Reecey1987
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Reecey1987 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:52 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:I would bring the likes of Koiki into the squad. I know he isnt proven, but he never will be unless we try. Development squad should be for kids, I'm amazed how many players stay on the books until their 20s, only to be let go. I would have thought their potential would have been clear before that age. Loans in the lower league are good for fitness, and the mental side of the game. I dont think it makes them improved skillwise. You get that from competing against the best.
As I said, I've nothing against Pieters, but we should be keeping as much money as we can for that far more important Centre Mid we need.
Steve stone said he needs to go back out on loan

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:53 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:I would bring the likes of Koiki into the squad. I know he isnt proven, but he never will be unless we try. Development squad should be for kids, I'm amazed how many players stay on the books until their 20s, only to be let go. I would have thought their potential would have been clear before that age. Loans in the lower league are good for fitness, and the mental side of the game. I dont think it makes them improved skillwise. You get that from competing against the best.
How many times have you seen Koiki play then in order for you to think he would be good enough to play left back in the Premier League (if required) ?

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:53 am

Nonayforever wrote:I thought the idea of an understudy / cover was to get a young up and coming guy who learnt his trade from the first team player.
He then slots into the first team when a player gets injured or suspended, retires or gets transferred.
But what do I know.
Good luck Erik.
Needs to be ready to play premier league football, the understudy could be needed from game one, has to be ready. Under 23 or similar is where the youngsters need to learn, not at the etihad or anfield.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:55 am

No problem at all with us signing Erik Pieters - we want cover and competition for Taylor and Pieters, with over 150 Premier League appearances in the locker, certainly ticks those boxes. It's a shrewd, sensible and cost effective piece of business.

I get the desire for more exciting signings, but there's always going to be a balance. It may well be that we see another more experienced player come in first and then look to spend the last month of the window adding more expansive and ambitious signings in other departments, adding the athleticism/technical ability that I think most fans want to see. Once we've underpinned the essential requirements of the squad in the areas where we're genuinely short, we'll have a bit more freedom to speculate.
This user liked this post: Chuckypad

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:57 am

We've got one left back in the first team squad at the minute and we always play one of them. We've got 4 central midfielders and we generally only play 2 of them.

Even if Koiki is good enough in the long term, he's clearly earmarked for another loan, which makes the signing of Pieters as an experienced stop-gap to cover Taylor makes lots of sense.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:00 am

Reecey1987 wrote:Steve stone said he needs to go back out on loan
Yeah but compared to colburnclaret, what does he know?
This user liked this post: creepingdeath

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:03 am

What happened to him at Stoke?
Was there some sort of falling out?

From what I’ve seen of him he’s looked comfortable at this level.

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 438 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:06 am

Swizzlestick wrote:All local sports journalists have to be ‘pally pally’ with the club. Dyche and his staff give nothing away, all fees are undisclosed - it’s just the way it is. Other clubs are more open. If Boden starts giving info away w/o permission, he probably loses trust from Dyche, so no interviews post match etc.
Are you saying the club would ban local journalists from interviews if they did their jobs too well? Like Mike Ashley's Newcastle? I'd like to think we're much better than that.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:09 am

Because to buy a player better than Taylor would cost a lot of money on an unnecessary upgrade. Taylor developed into a solid, PL LB with room for improvement offensively. Buying a backup is fine and this fella is good going forward and ok defensively. As with all signings he’ll need bedding in to the SD defensive system, something a starter wouldn’t get.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 826 times
Has Liked: 1307 times

Post by summitclaret » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:15 am

There are some possible concerns about him in there especially as he is not going to be regular starter. However, it appears to be a solid signing that makes sense.

I await more exciting news in cm and up top. There is no excuse if the latter 2 are not sorted before the deadline.
This user liked this post: IanMcL

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:31 am

BOOM !!!!

More like a barely audible pop or a strangled fart.

I would rather have a young understudy with a career ahead of him and rely on Bardsley for cover or Mee with Gibson getting game time in the centre.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:39 am

Long Time Lurker wrote:BOOM !!!!

I would rather have a young understudy with a career ahead of him and rely on Bardsley for cover or Mee with Gibson getting game time in the centre.
You’d rather have a young, unproven player who’d get his arse handed to him on a plate every game and most likely cost us points? Sounds like a plan.
This user liked this post: creepingdeath

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:41 am

Nonayforever wrote:I thought the idea of an understudy / cover was to get a young up and coming guy who learnt his trade from the first team player.
But what do I know.
Good luck Erik.
Ah so that's where it all went wrong with Bardsley...

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3842 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:45 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:You’d rather have a young, unproven player who’d get his arse handed to him on a plate every game and most likely cost us points? Sounds like a plan.
If he's unproven, why think the worst that he would perform badly?

What if he turned out to be a superstar in the making like a Dwight McNeil?
This user liked this post: IanMcL

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:50 am

Lurker was never going to approve of someone who wasn't on his tombola list
This user liked this post: jedi_master

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:50 am

JohnMcGreal wrote:Are you saying the club would ban local journalists from interviews if they did their jobs too well? Like Mike Ashley's Newcastle? I'd like to think we're much better than that.
Ok maybe no outright bans as such but he’d be persona non grata round the Turf if Dyche, who you’d imagine places trust above most other things, says not to divulge targets etc. He has to play the game. Nobody knew about this Pieters signing at our end, not even Mr In The Know Nixon, which shows the level of privacy we attach to all our dealings.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:58 am

Call me old fashioned, but I'd sooner take a player on a low fee, with 190 Premier League Appearances, 18 caps for Holland and at a comparatively modest age of 30 over one of your names you have seen on Football Manager or 'scouted' on your foreign streams of the Slovakian Third Division.

It's a backup left back - he will probably play in both our Cup Games that we will get knocked out in, and cover any suspension that Taylor might get it. That's literally it.
These 2 users liked this post: creepingdeath tiger76

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:00 am

I know - it’s such a shame he didn’t take your advice and sign that 19 year old French Congolese prodigy playing in the Belgian 12th division you recommended.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:00 am

Imagine we bring Koiki into the squad and Taylor gets a bad injury in the first game. We could have seriously exposed ourselves then in that position. How many times have you seen Koiki play for you to suggest he’s good enough to step into a Premier League squad.

Keeping players into their 20s is something we are able to do now. It gives them more chance to develop and gives us more chance to see whether they will be good enough for us. It’s the right way to do things.

Koiki is 19 and Stone has already said we will be looking to get him out on loan.

You don’t think Pieters is going to be a good signing, I get that, but we need a left back good enough to be able to play in the Premier League. I think he’s going to be a good signing and I don’t share your view that Koiki is ready to fulfil that role, certainly not yet.
These 2 users liked this post: Tall Paul Quicknick

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:14 am

Good signing if it happens, cheap experienced and a decent age to get a few years out of him. I don’t understand the moaning about this one.
These 3 users liked this post: randomclaret2 Cleveleys_claret tiger76

Grimsdale
Been Liked: 551 times
Has Liked: 80 times

Post by Grimsdale » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:19 am

Jay Rodriguez on his way according to the Mail

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... -Brom.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:19 am

Jay rod incoming

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:20 am

Pieters may be a good back up if it comes off. However I'm disappointed we didn't sign James Justin from Luton.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:20 am

Swizzlestick wrote:Ok maybe no outright bans as such but he’d be persona non grata round the Turf if Dyche, who you’d imagine places trust above most other things, says not to divulge targets etc. He has to play the game. Nobody knew about this Pieters signing at our end, not even Mr In The Know Nixon, which shows the level of privacy we attach to all our dealings.
The point is, Chris Boden basically writes word for word, what the club tell him to. His job as a reporter is redundant where BFC are concerned. He just assumes the role of someone who copies text where the club are involved.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:22 am

Grimsdale wrote:Jay Rodriguez on his way according to the Mail

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... -Brom.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Think this one could be done very quickly. Could have both him & Pieters on the Portugal trip.
These 2 users liked this post: randomclaret2 jedi_master

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:24 am

Now things are starting to move...