BFC TRANSFER NEWS (MUST CONTAIN LINK)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Re: New signing

Post by CombatClaret » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:09 pm

Merge!

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:10 pm

:) 3....2........1

s6t9a2f3f
Been Liked: 82 times

Clarets double BOOM landing shortly.......fingers crossed

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:10 pm

Burnley have made a bid of £10m for their former striker, Jay Rodriguez, triggering the release clause in his existing West Brom contract. Burnley are also expected to complete the signing of Stoke defender Erik Pieters today.

Possible BOOM, BOOM

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Re: Clarets double BOOM landing shortly.......fingers crossed

Post by Spijed » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:10 pm

Never, where have you heard that?

Nothing mentioned on here!

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:11 pm

Merge!

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 686 times
Has Liked: 3950 times

Post by mybloodisclaret » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:11 pm

Popcorn eating guy will appear any sec....

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Re: BFC TRANSFER NEWS (MUST CONTAIN LINK)

Post by mdd2 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:11 pm

Are we to assume that these signings will not occur before the lads are back from Portugal?

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:12 pm

Erik Pie eaters, great name for a claret

Marney&Mee
Been Liked: 655 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Marney&Mee » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:12 pm

s6t9a2f3f wrote:Burnley have made a bid of £10m for their former striker, Jay Rodriguez, triggering the release clause in his existing West Brom contract. Burnley are also expected to complete the signing of Stoke defender Erik Pieters today.

Possible BOOM, BOOM
Shake the room...

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:13 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:We are all entitled to our views not just the select few in here - everything I type gets a negative from you - I repeat the club needs to invest in some youth so I don't get excited about players who are on their last legs
And I will be delighted when Mr dyche looks further than the Midlands
Does it matter where the players are signed from?

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5252 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:13 pm

mdd2 wrote:Are we to assume that these signings will not occur before the lads are back from Portugal?
One of them has already gone to Portugal

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:13 pm

mdd2 wrote:Are we to assume that these signings will not occur before the lads are back from Portugal?

Pieters has gone to Portugal

Selby Claret
Been Liked: 402 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by Selby Claret » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:13 pm

Pieters is on the plane - see earlier pic

Ric_C
Been Liked: 742 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:14 pm

Jarrod Bowen + an athletic centre mid and we are sorted
This user liked this post: xxmunkyennuixx

TopCat
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by TopCat » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:16 pm

Jarrod Bowen + a midfield starter + keeping Tarks would be an unbelievable window.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

Selby Claret

Post by Selby Claret » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:21 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:We are all entitled to our views not just the select few in here - everything I type gets a negative from you - I repeat the club needs to invest in some youth so I don't get excited about players who are on their last legs
And I will be delighted when Mr dyche looks further than the Midlands
What's the matter? Pieters is Dutch and Rodriguez sounds Spanish...

Last Clarets signed from outside British Isles:

Defour
Hennings
Vossen
Richards
Nimani
Guerrero
Van Der Schaf
Penny
Berisha

Discuss...

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:23 pm

TopCat wrote:Jarrod Bowen + a midfield starter + keeping Tarks would be an unbelievable window.
Happy if that happens. But if £40m+ came for Tarkowski in the next week or two I’d take it since we’d have time to act for a backup.

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1599 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:24 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Erik Pieters talking to Phil Bardsley

I was looking for Jay Rod. :lol:
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6891 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:24 pm

Bit disappointed we didn’t show more ambition and pay £15-£20m for Rodriguez. The dry powder store must be getting full.
These 2 users liked this post: jtv Rick_Muller

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:25 pm

Selby Claret wrote: It staggers me that - after more than six years in the job and the progress that's been made - there are people like you that think Dyche is driving the bus with his eyes shut.
I'm hippety hip hop happy with the way that Dyche is driving the bus. Barring the pre Christmas hiccup of last season what we have achieved is outstanding and the performance of our players on the pitch is amazing. Each and everyone one of them is a credit to the club. However, like it or not football is finance and the landscape has changed.

You can drive the bus and put a big happy smile on the face of all your customers, but if you don't pay equal attention to the revenue stream the bus is generating then you won't have any money to buy petrol and the bus will be condemed to stand in the depot and rust away.

We have an ageing bus, with parts that are decreasing in value and more likely to break. The price of petrol is rising.

I can't really understand the need to rebuke me. If you look back a few posts you will see quotes from Mike Garlick and Mike Rigg advocating their intention to follow the same financial strategy as I detailed.

My concern is that despite the obvious agreement we don't seem to be doing it, because our last three signings have all been counter to it.

Jay Rod at £10m could represent a potential loss of £10m over the next 3 years. Adams at £15m could represent a loss of £10m over the next 3 years if he fails to step up in spectacular fashion or a substantial profit if he does. Che might not be the best example, because Southampton would have trumped us in wages, but that is the difference between buying a young player with potential and a player with the majority of their playing career behind them.

While we don't know the actual cost for Jay yet it looks like we are going to pay the full asking price of his release clause, despite the compelling reasons for WBA to sell and no firm interest from other clubs at £10m. This time last year we were bending over backwards to pay £18m for him, so the bus drivers aren't immune to making the odd mistake.

I can see the signing as a 3-4m outlay to correct the bizzare Vokes/Crouch deal, and we have made things difficult by limiting ourselves to the domestic market again, but taking everything into account £10m and a long contract is still a hefty price to pay for him.

Hopefully our next signings will be in line with the financial strategy of younger players with re-sale value and they will be in positions that will strengthen us for the coming season. Tarks leaving and Tomori arriving would put some cash in the pot, but it would weaken us.
These 3 users liked this post: BOYSIE31 tim_noone rob63

Selby Claret

Post by Selby Claret » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:29 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:I'm hippety hip hop happy with the way that Dyche is driving the bus. Barring the pre Christmas hiccup of last season what we have achieved is outstanding and the performance of our players on the pitch is amazing. Each and everyone one of them is a credit to the club. However, like it or not football is finance and the landscape has changed.

You can drive the bus and put a big happy smile on the face of all your customers, but if you don't pay equal attention to the revenue stream the bus is generating then you won't have any money to buy petrol and the bus will be condemed to stand in the depot and rust away.

We have an ageing bus, with parts that are decreasing in value and more likely to break. The price of petrol is rising.

While we don't know the actual cost for Jay yet it looks like we are going to pay the full asking price of his release clause, despite the compelling reasons for WBA to sell and no firm interest from other clubs at £10m. This time last year we were bending over backwards to pay £18m for him, so the bus drivers aren't immune to making the odd mistake.
You know it's not a real bus right?

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:33 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:I'm hippety hip hop happy with the way that Dyche is driving the bus. Barring the pre Christmas hiccup of last season what we have achieved is outstanding and the performance of our players on the pitch is amazing. Each and everyone one of them is a credit to the club. However, like it or not football is finance and the landscape has changed.

I can't really understand the need to rebuke me. If you look back a few posts you will see quotes from Mike Garlick and Mike Rigg advocating their intention to follow the same financial strategy as I detailed.

My concern is that despite the obvious agreement we don't seem to be doing it, because our last three signings have all been counter to it.

Jay Rod at £10m could represent a potential loss of £10m over the next 3 years. Adams at £15m could represent a loss of £10m over the next 3 years if he fails to step up in spectacular fashion or a substantial profit if he does. Che might not be the best example, because Southampton would have trumped us in wages, but that is the difference between buying a young player with potential and a player with the majority of their playing career behind them.

I can see the signing as a 3-4m outlay to correct the bizzare Vokes/Crouch deal, and we have made things difficult by limiting ourselves to the domestic market again, but taking everything into account £10m and a long contract is still a hefty price to pay for him.

Hopefully our next signings will be in line with the financial strategy of younger players with re-sale value and they will be in positions that will strengthen us for the coming season. Tarks leaving and Tomori arriving would put some cash in the pot, but it would weaken us.
Another sensible post and exactly where I am coming from but don't let them grind you down on here
These 2 users liked this post: Long Time Lurker tim_noone

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:42 pm

For the fee we’ve paid it’s a good signing. £5m up front and another lot next year for a 20+ goal Championship striker can’t be labelled as anything other than a good deal for us.

Would I rather have Che Adams? Yes. But we can’t have him, so for me this is an acceptable signing. Versatile player, would work in our team, etc etc. I was very much against him last year because the fee of £15-20m just didn’t represent value for money whatsoever. That sort of money should be spent on a player who will get better, it’s an investment. But this is a good deal and we still ((one would think)) have the funds to make that investment where it’s really needed: central midfield.

So yeah, works for me.

Selby Claret

Post by Selby Claret » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:55 pm

Apologies if I am being seen to be grinding someone down - I understood that the idea of a forum was to express an opinion - I didn't realise that, if my opinion is not aligned with everyone else's then this is somehow unacceptable

Let me - for the sake of humouring Messrs Lurker and Boysie - add some flesh to my grinding:

As posted previously, the last Clarets signed from outside the British Isles were:
Defour / Hennings / Vossen / Richards / Nimani / Guerrero / Van Der Schaf / Penny / Berisha
This list suggests our international recruitment policy doesn't work and - even if you were to argue Defour in the 'for' camp - there are still cons against his value for money / resale value / wages to games ratio etc
You might want to play Championship Manager with my football club but thankfully - for my sake - SD and the board do not

With regards to revenue stream:
1) we are in the premier league...if we stay there then the revenue stream takes care of itself
2) player sales - Vokes / Keane / Gray / Ings / Trippier / Shackell / Rodriguez / Austin / Mears / Eagles / Fletcher - all sold for more than we paid - we even got most (if not all) of our money back for Juke! I would happily listen to any names of outgoing players who were sold at a loss or released for free that we didn't get our money's worth out of (Ward / Arfield / Marney / Boyd / Jones.....??)
3) As much as I hate the cliche - we are still little old Burnley - despite ALL of this new found PL wealth - we still cannot compete with most of the teams in the PL financially for signing fees / wages and when you throw in other intangibles like prestige / geography / playing style it makes it clearer to see just how difficult it is for Dyche to do business in these days of player and agent power

And as you liked the bus analogy let me offer you some more.... you seem to have missed the point that we are still trying to run a 'bus' whereas the likes of Pep are driving Ferraris - you can bury your head in the sand if you like - but its still a 'bus' and we can only buy parts that fit a 'bus' and the passengers have to be prepared to ride a 'bus' - even if we suddenly had a billion quid in the bank I think you'll find that - under the current regime (board and management) - we would still buy the nicest bus parts than trade in for a supercar - if you want that then I suggest the Etihad down the road
These 3 users liked this post: Rick_Muller levraiclaret bfcmik

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4159 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:58 pm

Imagine going to all the trouble of typing out essay after essay only to find boysie agrees with it. Someone who struggles to cope transfer window after transfer window.

Can't think of anything clearer.
These 3 users liked this post: Selby Claret levraiclaret Quicknick

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:58 pm

Pieters may be in Portugal but it doesn't mean he has signed yet

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:00 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:Another sensible post and exactly where I am coming from but don't let them grind you down on here
Thanks for that. Honestly, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, it is what makes discussions interesting. So I'm happy for others to hold different view points, as long as they aren't rude when they express them.

I simply look at situations, pull the various puzzle pieces together and try to identify the underlying pattern. Looking at the bigger picture is always easier for me than focussing on the isolated details. That is the advantage of being Dyslexic.

In this case I'm also crossing my fingers and hoping that I'm wrong about one of the key players. However the sequence of events and some of the decisons being made do seem to suggest a pathway to an end goal that I'm not comfortable with.

I'm looking forward to being proved wrong and eating a healthy dose of humble pie.

It is imperative we avoid relegation this season, confident the lads will all do us proud, Dyche forever, UTC

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:02 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:It is imperative we avoid relegation this season
Why this season, and not last year?

Sausage
Been Liked: 637 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Jay Rod - signature imminent

Post by Sausage » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:02 pm

According to BBC, Jay Rodriguez is set to re-sign for the Clarets

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48905593" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:03 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:Thanks for that. Honestly, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, it is what makes discussions interesting. So I'm happy for others to hold different view points, as long as they aren't rude when they express them.

I simply look at situations, pull the various puzzle pieces together and try to identify the underlying pattern. Looking at the bigger picture is always easier for me than focussing on the isolated details. That is the advantage of being Dyslexic.

In this case I'm also crossing my fingers and hoping that I'm wrong about one of the key players. However the sequence of events and some of the decisons being made do seem to suggest a pathway to an end goal that I'm not comfortable with.

I'm looking forward to being proved wrong and eating a healthy dose of humble pie.

It is imperative we avoid relegation this season, confident the lads will all do us proud, Dyche forever, UTC
See above posts they think we play championship manager but they want their opinions but not ours

kaptin1
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 109 times

Post by kaptin1 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:03 pm

Jay will have to get his hair cut

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Re: Jay Rod - signature imminent

Post by theroyaldyche » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:04 pm

Good back up. Thats all

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:05 pm

I’d be happy at £10m. Not the silly amounts of last summer

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 545 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:05 pm

If Nixon is to be believed in any sort of manner then earlier in the window he did state that we were after both Adams and Rodriguez not either or, but both. If this is the case then perhaps we are still in for another striker, younger hopefully as Adams was, and if that incorporates the sale of Vydra as he also stated to fund such a transfer then I’d be all for it, if indeed vydra isn’t to be used much by Dyche.

I’m happy with the signing of Jay and Pieters, Jay is very versatile and will bring a sense of passion to the club being a homegrown lad. Pieters has the experience at this level to be good backup to Taylor.

For me a central midfielder or possibly 2 with one being an up and coming talent is needed , with Defour being somewhat of a bonus player if fit we lack quality on the ball in the middle of the park which sees us chasing the ball far too much.

Add to that another winger due to the injury records of messers Brady and Lennon and to some extent JBG and we have ourselves a decent squad! I’d look at possibly moving on Lennon also due to his age and the ideal replacement as many have already pointed to is Jarrod Bowen , goal threat, hard worker and only 22 years old.

UTC

COBBLE
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 466 times

Post by COBBLE » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:06 pm

Two signings (hopefully) that improve our improved second half finish squad. Nothing not to like.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:06 pm

The clubs Twitter account has deleted the picture showing Pieters with the squad at the airport

Inchy
Been Liked: 1332 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:06 pm

10 million is nothing in this day and age.

randomclaret2

Post by randomclaret2 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:08 pm

Is " messers Brady and Lennon " a Freudian slip ?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:17 pm

mdd2 wrote:Pieters may be in Portugal but it doesn't mean he has signed yet
He wouldn’t be there if he was still a Stoke player

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:18 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:The clubs Twitter account has deleted the picture showing Pieters with the squad at the airport
Spotted that

randomclaret2

Post by randomclaret2 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:21 pm

Im guessing the club maybe feel its a wee bit disrepectful before the deal is officially signed off ?

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 577 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:21 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:The clubs Twitter account has deleted the picture showing Pieters with the squad at the airport
lol, good one, lads! No one will ever know!

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:22 pm

Lets hope they officially announce them soon.

It's my lads 13th birthday so I can tell him BFC have got him two presents to go with the happy birthday Email he has received from them.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:30 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Lets hope they officially announce them soon.

It's my lads 13th birthday so I can tell him BFC have got him two presents to go with the happy birthday Email he has received from them.
I got Djemba-Djemba on my birthday

Selby Claret

Post by Selby Claret » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:30 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I got Djemba-Djemba on my birthday
So good they named him twice
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:37 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Lets hope they officially announce them soon.

I hope you actually bought him something as well you cheap skate! :D
These 4 users liked this post: ClaretTony Quickenthetempo BertiesBeehole tiger76

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:41 pm

Claretmatt4 wrote:I hope you actually bought him something as well you cheap skate! :D
I'm just waiting to see how the Jay Rod news goes down first :D

Papabendi
Been Liked: 346 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:43 pm

Hedontplayforyou wrote:If Nixon is to be believed in any sort of manner then earlier in the window he did state that we were after both Adams and Rodriguez not either or, but both. If this is the case then perhaps we are still in for another striker, younger hopefully as Adams was, and if that incorporates the sale of Vydra as he also stated to fund such a transfer then I’d be all for it, if indeed vydra isn’t to be used much by Dyche.

UTC
Pretty sure Dyche wants to have another look at Vydra this season. Would love Bowen, but given the wide options (unless we are losing bodies) he looks like a bit of a luxury given probable cost. That said, a consistent goal return from someone who is not a forward would be very good.

Still think centre midfield is key.

MDWat
Been Liked: 871 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by MDWat » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:49 pm

Papabendi wrote:Pretty sure Dyche wants to have another look at Vydra this season. Would love Bowen, but given the wide options (unless we are losing bodies) he looks like a bit of a luxury given probable cost. That said, a consistent goal return from someone who is not a forward would be very good.

Still think centre midfield is key.
It's definitely key!

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1599 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:33 pm

Inchy wrote:10 million is nothing in this day and age.
Can you lend me £10million, Inchy? ;)