BFC TRANSFER NEWS (MUST CONTAIN LINK)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
BurnleyPaul
Been Liked: 158 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Re: BFC TRANSFER NEWS (MUST CONTAIN LINK)

Post by BurnleyPaul » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:01 pm

rob63 wrote:Just can't get a handle on the Hart situation tho
I’d imagine that Hart won’t move until the end of July- when his Man City contract would have expired. As they’re still paying part of his salary why would he want to do anything which jeopardises that? Surely they’re only paying him whilst he’s with us and not if he moves elsewhere...?

I don’t see him still being here when the transfer window ends though. He knows that he won’t be first choice and he believes that he should be. Better then to move on to somewhere else with a squad more suited to his style of goalkeeping.
This user liked this post: Lonsdaleclarets

Goobs
Been Liked: 1462 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:21 pm

rob63 wrote:Think they've shown their intent already by the contracts offered, they prefer £8m now & maybe put towards a CM or £3m in Jan when choice of midfielders is less. Just can't get a handle on the Hart situation tho
They offered him an extra year which signifies that the want him here for another two seasons by which time he will be 35. Personally feel that is a fair offer and could easily be reviewed again in the future.

Yeah don't get the Hart situation but if him and Heaton do leave we need to make sure we get a good young number two.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2904 times

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:32 pm

Goobs wrote:They offered him an extra year which signifies that the want him here for another two seasons by which time he will be 35. Personally feel that is a fair offer and could easily be reviewed again in the future.

Yeah don't get the Hart situation but if him and Heaton do leave we need to make sure we get a good young number two.
But age is not the driving force of the contracts. It is not unreasonable for Tom to have another five or six seasons at the top. The issue is more likely to be purely a case of two (even 3) keepers who deserve and expect to be first choice for their clubs at this point of their career. Pope can be reasonably expected to accept that Tom remains number one for now, but Pope isn’t a full international because he sits on our bench. Pretty sure it’s not a matter of finance or contract details for Tom.

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 588 times

Post by rob63 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:34 pm

TVC15 wrote:There’s a lots of ifs and buts there....if he gets injured, if Leeds go up, if Leeds want to buy him, if Tom wants to go to Leeds etc

More likely than your scenario is that Heaton doesn’t get injured. He retains the no 1 shirt and either he signs a new contract with us and stays or we get another year out of him where he helps secure another year in the premier league and another £120m income...and he moves on a free and we start again with another really good keeper in Nick Pope.
If he leaves I don’t really care where he goes because there is nothing we can do about it - so why worry about something outside of your control ? Even if he decides he wants to leave now - again why worry about where he goes. We should just make the best effort we can to keep him and then it’s up to Tom....if he leaves we just focus on ourselves and the players left here - like we always have done when players we all want to stay end up leaving or being sold.
I know there's nothing we can do about it, it wasn't me who said I wouldn't sell him to a rival, it was Rick.........I only asked , in reply to his post, what he'd say if BFC decided to forgo the £8/9m transfer fee this season & he still went to to a rival (using Leeds as an example as a likely promoted club next season) anyway for nothing next year.
I know Pope is a really good keeper but our Premier league survival this season doesn't revolve solely around Heaton, that too is an unlikely scenario. BFC are in possession of more info on Toms contract details than anyone on here & presumably have weighed all the pros & cons to arrive at their response so far, it's their gamble not mine or yours.

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 588 times

Post by rob63 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:39 pm

BurnleyPaul wrote:I’d imagine that Hart won’t move until the end of July- when his Man City contract would have expired. As they’re still paying part of his salary why would he want to do anything which jeopardises that? Surely they’re only paying him whilst he’s with us and not if he moves elsewhere...?

I don’t see him still being here when the transfer window ends though. He knows that he won’t be first choice and he believes that he should be. Better then to move on to somewhere else with a squad more suited to his style of goalkeeping.
It's cutting it fine tho, doesn't our transfer window close on the 8th Aug? But I suppose he could still move abroad if the buying/receiving clubs window closes later? is that how it works now, I lose track :?

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1485 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:28 am

Why does anyone think Dirty Leeds are getting promoted this season.There are a lot of good clubs in much better shape.Cardiff and Boro to name two possibles.Fulham wont be far off top spot as will Bristol City

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2460 times
Has Liked: 1990 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:23 am

Villa reportedly in for Kalvin Phillips with £11m bid. Papers suggesting they need to treble that. He’s not a £30m player but he has to be worth getting involved in the bidding.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3591 times
Has Liked: 1028 times

Post by jedi_master » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:30 am

Phillips is a great player, but I think Joe Allen on a fee of 10-12m would be a better shout for us as we know he can perform at this level. Still only 29 and would improve us, in my opinion.

Unsure on wages but I am sure he would be wanting to get back into this league and Stoke are a million miles away.

claretblue
Been Liked: 1835 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Post by claretblue » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:40 am

jedi_master wrote:I am sure he would be wanting to get back into this league and Stoke are a million miles away.
but do we have Stokes telephone number? :?
These 2 users liked this post: jedi_master Buxtonclaret

Andingle
Been Liked: 274 times
Has Liked: 351 times

Post by Andingle » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:12 am

Told Stoke have a restraining order against Sean Dyche
These 2 users liked this post: jedi_master Juan Tanamera

NL Claret
Been Liked: 522 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:27 am

I'm amazed at how many UTC posters know the ins and outs of Joe Hart's contract and who's paying him however they know nothing (or don't care to mention) other player's contracts. Odd.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Woodleyclaret

Post by Woodleyclaret » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:04 am

Everyone makes mistakes.BFC managed a few over the years.Sordell Juke Vydra Hart to name but 4

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:11 am

jedi_master wrote:Phillips is a great player, but I think Joe Allen on a fee of 10-12m would be a better shout for us as we know he can perform at this level. Still only 29 and would improve us, in my opinion.

Unsure on wages but I am sure he would be wanting to get back into this league and Stoke are a million miles away.
I like Joe Allan but he doesn’t improve our lack of a physical presence in CM. We need a 6’, 13st hardman who can win the ball and then play.
Not many about and they don’t come cheap.
These 2 users liked this post: Woodleyclaret Blackrod

Selby Claret
Been Liked: 402 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by Selby Claret » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:24 am

SKY SPORTS 1019h

VILLA HAVE HEATON BID REJECTED

Aston Villa have had a speculative bid for goalkeeper Tom Heaton rejected and classed as derisory by Burnley, according to Sky sources.

Sources in the Midlands have told Sky Sports News that Villa’s opening move was to gauge Burnley’s reaction, which was emphatic in response to a bid they felt was too low.

We understand Heaton is not the only goalkeeper Villa are interested in, with another as-yet unnamed player also a strong target.

Villa are big admirers of Heaton but have reservations over getting value for money for the 33-year-old, who is entering the final year of his Burnley contract and struggled with a shoulder injury last season.

Woodleyclaret

Post by Woodleyclaret » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:25 am

Can Peters play cm?I think Tarks can and we can bring in Kev or Ben G to fill the gaps.
The advantage of Tarks is that he can tackle pass and is decent in the air.

Cheshireclaret
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Cheshireclaret » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:27 am

Selby Claret wrote:SKY SPORTS 1019h

VILLA HAVE HEATON BID REJECTED

Aston Villa have had a speculative bid for goalkeeper Tom Heaton rejected and classed as derisory by Burnley, according to Sky sources.

Sources in the Midlands have told Sky Sports News that Villa’s opening move was to gauge Burnley’s reaction, which was emphatic in response to a bid they felt was too low.

We understand Heaton is not the only goalkeeper Villa are interested in, with another as-yet unnamed player also a strong target.

Villa are big admirers of Heaton but have reservations over getting value for money for the 33-year-old, who is entering the final year of his Burnley contract and struggled with a shoulder injury last season.
That final paragraph at the very least is just lazy, fabricated nonsense (save for the bit about his contract). For a start, he didn’t have a shoulder injury last season.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6950 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:10 pm

Cheshireclaret wrote:That final paragraph at the very least is just lazy, fabricated nonsense (save for the bit about his contract). For a start, he didn’t have a shoulder injury last season.
He started the season with a shoulder injury.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2633 times
Has Liked: 6445 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:31 pm

Rileybobs wrote:He started the season with a shoulder injury.
I'm sure he didn't - if it was anything it was a little tightness in his calf if memory serves...
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3181 times
Has Liked: 1864 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:35 pm

He didn't as he was back back on the bench for the last few games of the 17-18 season

He missed the start of the 18-19 season with calf strain, and is part of the reason we brought Hart in

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:36 pm

My mistake - I thought he wasn’t 100% recovered from the shoulder injury.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:38 pm

Selby Claret wrote:classed as derisory by Burnley
The irony.
This user liked this post: IanMcL

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:39 pm

Barely. He played against Olympiakos, in August.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:42 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:Barely. He played against Olympiakos, in August.
Yes already cleared up above. My mistake, cheers.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:42 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:I like Joe Allan but he doesn’t improve our lack of a physical presence in CM. We need a 6’, 13st hardman who can win the ball and then play.
Not many about and they don’t come cheap.
Don't particularly think we lack physicality in midfield, nor someone who shudders into tackles like Kevin Ball - those days are gone. But especially if we're looking for someone to play with Westwood as often as not, we do need someone who is at the least 5"11 and who can hold their own in the air and hold off opponents on the ball. And I'd agree that someone who has a decent range of passing is desirable. If we're compromising on anything therefore, it's probably athleticism and mobility (which we need less because of how tight we keep the midfield unit.

That's not really Aaron Mooy, and it's not really Joe Allen, because they're both about 5"9. It might be Philip Billing, who is being linked with a move to Bournemouth, it might be Kalvin Philips (at huge expense), but realistically it's a tough position to fill given what we're asking for, and realistically this might be one position where we do have to go for a rough diamond from abroad - but we can afford to take a bit of a punt because we've got Cork and Westwood who are already excellent first choice options.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

benstone12
Been Liked: 8 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by benstone12 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:39 pm

Someone like James McCarthy could be a good shout? Not the biggest but he can more than hold his own on the pitch.
He has lost his way a little bit especially after an awkward injury but seems to be back fully fit - just out of favour. So much so, a bid of £10m is supposedly enough to secure him.
https://www.footballinsider247.com/reve ... -mind/amp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For a seasoned premier league midfielder who has international experience, I think that's a decent price, he would add great competition and ultimately improve the squad.

Murger
Been Liked: 1243 times
Has Liked: 845 times

Post by Murger » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:07 pm

Delph joining Everton for £8m.

wilks_bfc

Post by wilks_bfc » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:13 pm

Murger wrote:Delph joining Everton for £8m.
That’s a bargain price for him.

Would have been a good signing for us

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2904 times

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:19 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:That’s a bargain price for him.

He was a big catch when he went to City from Villa... his wages would be mind boggling. Has been a nice dream when the rumours started every window, but it was never likely to be more than a pipe dream. Top player.

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 498 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:22 pm

Philip Billing is an excellent shout - big, strong, tall and combative - and still only 23.

Coming from Huddersfield he'll be very much aligned to the role of CM without the ball and would offer an alternative to our preferred pairing without the expectancy of a guaranteed start. Liked the look of him in both games we played against Huddersfield last season. If you add him to the three CMs you'd expect to be in contention - Cork, Westwood and Hendrick we look strong in that area and less dependent on an injury prone Defour to give us an alternate option.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32390 times
Has Liked: 5270 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:27 pm

EarbyClaret wrote:Philip Billing is an excellent shout - big, strong, tall and combative - and still only 23
But he ended the season unable to get into the Huddersfield team
This user liked this post: rob63

bodge
Been Liked: 729 times
Has Liked: 475 times

Post by bodge » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:36 pm

My misgivings on Billing surround his mobility, like Defour he would be a real asset in a midfield 5 but our preferred pattern of play is with 2 forwards up top.

If that's the case Billing's languid style wouldn't fit.

A player with real ability and poise no doubt.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:37 pm

Ive no idea about Billing but Scotty Arfield couldnt get in the Huddersfield team and that worked out pretty well

EarbyClaret

Post by EarbyClaret » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:40 pm

"But he ended the season unable to get into the Huddersfield team"

Agreed - but then Pieters had been frozen out at Stoke - just as a comparison. I'd see a signing like Billing as good quality back-up which would give us options. Unlike a number of posters on here I thought the Cork/Westwood combination was very effective from the turn of the year onwards.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:49 pm

EarbyClaret wrote:"But he ended the season unable to get into the Huddersfield team"

Agreed - but then Pieters had been frozen out at Stoke - just as a comparison. I'd see a signing like Billing as good quality back-up which would give us options. Unlike a number of posters on here I thought the Cork/Westwood combination was very effective from the turn of the year onwards.
Can't believe any posters weren't impressed with Westwood in the second half of the season, he was as good as anyone we had.

I think Pieters, in some ways, is a good comparison in that him losing his place came about with a change of manager. Jones ditched Pieters because he didn't think he fit into the way he played, from what I've heard over at Huddersfield, Siewert doesn't rate Billing so I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave. He did win their players' player of the year award last season.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:50 pm

ClaretTony wrote:But he ended the season unable to get into the Huddersfield team
I think that’s because the new manager fell out with a few of their Danish players. The keeper, Lossl being one. That said, a Hudds supporting mate of mine thought that Billing thought he was better than he was and was looking for a move as soon as relegation became almost certain.

Definitely the type of player who would enhance our squad though.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:50 pm

EarbyClaret wrote:Philip Billing is an excellent shout - big, strong, tall and combative - and still only 23.

Coming from Huddersfield he'll be very much aligned to the role of CM without the ball and would offer an alternative to our preferred pairing without the expectancy of a guaranteed start. Liked the look of him in both games we played against Huddersfield last season. If you add him to the three CMs you'd expect to be in contention - Cork, Westwood and Hendrick we look strong in that area and less dependent on an injury prone Defour to give us an alternate option.
What about his attitude problem?
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:56 pm

joey13 wrote:What about his attitude problem?
If he has one he won't be coming anywhere near our football club.

EarbyClaret

Post by EarbyClaret » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:01 pm

"What about his attitude problem?"

I guess it depends. You probably know more about it as some of your previous posts suggest you know a bit about the inner workings of HTFC. If they are insurmountable then it's a no-go. If SD thinks they are something that can be overcome (similar to Joey/Jeff for example) then he'll be prepared to take on the challenge if he thinks the probable benefits are worth the work and effort involved.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:10 pm

EarbyClaret wrote:"What about his attitude problem?"

I guess it depends. You probably know more about it as some of your previous posts suggest you know a bit about the inner workings of HTFC. If they are insurmountable then it's a no-go. If SD thinks they are something that can be overcome (similar to Joey/Jeff for example) then he'll be prepared to take on the challenge if he thinks the probable benefits are worth the work and effort involved.
Joey I can half understand but Jeff? Wasn't aware of any attitude problem there if you are referring to Hendrick. Come to think of it, Joey had a damn good attitude too.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:12 pm

ClaretTony wrote:But he ended the season unable to get into the Huddersfield team
Not the only one, so not sure I'd read anything into it - any more than I'd read anything into Pieters ending up at Amiens last season.

No doubting Billing's ability and potential.

EarbyClaret

Post by EarbyClaret » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:23 pm

I was referring to the fact that Jeff joined us with a serious criminal conviction hanging over his head - no question about his on-field conduct - just to be clear.

As far as Joey was concerned some managers handled him better than others - doubt any of them surpassed SD. He even did his best with the near enough lost cause that was Keith Treacy. It's telling that no former player has ever had a bad word to say about either SD or the club if you discount the incoherent ramblings of Patrick Bamford whose record at Norwich and Palace, in addition to his time here, tends to speak for itself.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:28 pm

EarbyClaret wrote:I was referring to the fact that Jeff joined us with a serious criminal conviction hanging over his head - no question about his on-field conduct - just to be clear.

As far as Joey was concerned some managers handled him better than others - doubt any of them surpassed SD. He even did his best with the near enough lost cause that was Keith Treacy. It's telling that no former player has ever had a bad word to say about either SD or the club if you discount the incoherent ramblings of Patrick Bamford whose record at Norwich and Palace, in addition to his time here, tends to speak for itself.
SD was asked when we signed Joey whether he could handle him. "Handle him," he said. "He's 32, not 19." The simple thing is, he didn't try to handle him, he treated him like an adult.

I think your comment on Treacy is a bit out of order given his mental health problems.

You are bang on with former players not having a bad word and that's been added to today by Peter Crouch. I think he treats players with respect and they give it back. Paul Robinson, the goalkeeper, was heaping praise on Dyche recently too.

EarbyClaret

Post by EarbyClaret » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:42 pm

"I think your comment on Treacy is a bit out of order given his mental health problems."

Fully aware of KT's mental health issues and read a very good interview he gave when he had signed for Drogheda where he spoke highly of SD's efforts to help him. I thought he had been badly let down up until that point and SD did the best he could to salvage a fairly desperate situation. That's not to apportion blame. I would say SD is amongst the first generation of managers, through appropriate education and training, to have a proper appreciation of the pressures and difficulties faced by the current generation of players.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3861 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:44 pm

Claretspice we need athleticism and strength in the middle of the park as unfortunately Cork seems to lose out on too many battles. Passing should be taken for granted if we're signing a premier league quality player.
I like Cork and the same with most of our CMs he would be a lot better in a 3, but Dyche doesn't like that so we need to upgrade.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:04 am

He will end up in the top flight im certain. hed do a job for us im sure.Huddersfield lost their way .

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:47 am

benstone12 wrote:Someone like James McCarthy could be a good shout? Not the biggest but he can more than hold his own on the pitch.
He has lost his way a little bit especially after an awkward injury but seems to be back fully fit - just out of favour. So much so, a bid of £10m is supposedly enough to secure him.
https://www.footballinsider247.com/reve ... -mind/amp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For a seasoned premier league midfielder who has international experience, I think that's a decent price, he would add great competition and ultimately improve the squad.
This is a good a shout as any. Fits the bill (Irish) and is the sort of box to box midfielder that suits the 4-4-2 we will be playing. Only 28 too.

Only issue is his fitness which is why we shouldn’t mess about and get him in early so he gets a full pre season with us.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:25 am

EarbyClaret wrote:"What about his attitude problem?"

Apparently wasn’t putting the effort in training soon after the new manager arrived hence why he stopped being picked ,another one who won’t play for Huddersfield ,no doubt he has talent though

Papabendi
Been Liked: 346 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:39 am

wilks_bfc wrote:That’s a bargain price for him.

Bargain wages too no doubt

DCWat
Been Liked: 4139 times
Has Liked: 3603 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:50 am

RVclaret wrote:This is a good a shout as any. Fits the bill (Irish) and is the sort of box to box midfielder that suits the 4-4-2 we will be playing. Only 28 too.

Only issue is his fitness which is why we shouldn’t mess about and get him in early so he gets a full pre season with us.
Good player - my concern is the injuries though. We’ve a few of our own already, struggling with injuries and / or form on the back of injuries. Do we want to risk another?

wilks_bfc

Post by wilks_bfc » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:53 am

Papabendi wrote:Bargain wages too no doubt
I’m aware that the wages would be high but the initial fee is a bargain.