BFC TRANSFER NEWS (MUST CONTAIN LINK)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Re: BFC TRANSFER NEWS (MUST CONTAIN LINK)

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:25 pm

We can all have our theories and opinions, but the bottom line is that it would be f***ing laughable if we took David Jones on.

In fact I've had to change my pants twice just thinking about it.
This user liked this post: jedi_master

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:26 pm

jedi_master wrote:Give me a more laughable transfer we have made than if (and it’s surely a huge if) we were to re-sign David Jones who we let go three years ago and is 35 in November?
Either you’re around 6 or 7 years old or you have a very selective memory.
I could very easily name you 50 worse transfers - but you know what I simply cannot be arsed.
The drama queenery on this board is reaching unprecedented heights - it will be such a shame that come Saturday we will have some actual football to discuss.
These 2 users liked this post: creepingdeath Quicknick

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2757 times
Has Liked: 4318 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:26 pm

Whining Babies
Bed Wetters
Lip Tremblers
...the list of name calling grows longer.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3591 times
Has Liked: 1028 times

Post by jedi_master » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:28 pm

TVC15 wrote:Either you’re around 6 or 7 years old or you have a very selective memory.
I could very easily name you 50 worse transfers - but you know what I simply cannot be arsed.
The drama queenery on this board is reaching unprecedented heights - it will be such a shame that come Saturday we will have some actual football to discuss.
I said laughable, not worse.

We could all list a million crap signings, that’s not what this discussion is about.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:28 pm

Sandal wearers

claretspice
Been Liked: 2827 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:30 pm

jedi_master wrote:All four were signed with no knowledge of how poor they would be - indeed, Besart is only on this list due to injury trouble.

You have just listed a bunch of poor signings, not ones that meet the criteria of signing a near 35 year old who we deemed not good enough three years ago, who has had a very poor three years at Wednesday. That’s without even mentioning our own established Premier League status with a very healthy bank balance behind us.

Edit - Worth mentioning that this entire debate is going to be irrelevant as I am still of the opinion there is no way we would ever consider it.
So what's the purpose of your contributions about what it would mean if we did sign him?

jedi_master

Post by jedi_master » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:31 pm

claretspice wrote:So what's the purpose of your contributions about what it would mean if we did sign him?
I replied to others who were discussing the prospects of signing David Jones, with my opinion on how laughable it would be if we were to sign David Jones.

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4254 times

Post by Greenmile » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:32 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:Largely signed when the club was skint...which we certainly arent now.
I reckon they all cost more over the course of their contracts (adjusted for football levels of inflation) than Jones would as a one-year stopgap.

I wasn’t too bothered either way about signing Jones (if we can’t find the CM we’re clearly looking for). Now I hope it does happen, just to see the epic levels of crying on here.
Last edited by Greenmile on Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 4 users liked this post: Lord Beamish AfloatinClaret Braindead dsr

jedi_master

Post by jedi_master » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:33 pm

Greenmile wrote:I reckon they all cost more over the course of their contracts (adjusted for football levels of inflation) than Jones would as a one-year stopgap.
I’ve no doubt you are correct.

What does that tell you?

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:33 pm

jedi_master wrote:There is absolutely no reason for Jones to be playing in friendlies that seem to be in place to give fitness to first team and Under 23 players, unless.....?

I am pretty certain we would never consider signing him as it would be the most insane thing we’ve possibly ever done, but I definitely am at this point of the opinion that we will not be signing anyone at all and possibly just seeing Vydra, Wells and Tarkowski leave.

Cue meltdown, and rightly so.
Why we signed wells when he was injured / signed crouch who couldn't get a game a division below / spent 28 million in players and not play them

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1997 times
Has Liked: 1141 times

Post by FCBurnley » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:34 pm

Would not be as bad as the Crouch signing.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:35 pm

jedi_master wrote:I’ve no doubt you are correct.

What does that tell you?
1 - that signing Jones would be less “laughable” than any of them

2 - that randomclaret’s point was entirely irrelevant, at best

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:36 pm

jedi_master wrote:I said laughable, not worse.

We could all list a million crap signings, that’s not what this discussion is about.
Laughable / worse - just semantics. It’s all the same - it’s effectively a transfer you don’t agree with.
I don’t agree with signing Jones either - but I can easily name 50 signings I disagreed with more.

Seriously it does not justify the negativity and outrage that you are showing....even if he signs we are still left with arguably the best squad of players most of us have ever seen.
Enjoy it whilst it lasts...because when we signed Joe Gallagher I really strongly disagreed with that. I was working in the Sparrow Hawk hotel behind the bar and he was stopping there and when I saw him limping around I knew the rumours about him being lame were true - and he got in the first eleven with that very same limp.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:41 pm

The bed wetters on here really will start crying over their keyboard when they see negative posts on here on Thursday evening.

I hope we weaken our squad just so I get the chance to see it x

summitclaret
Been Liked: 833 times
Has Liked: 1324 times

Post by summitclaret » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:42 pm

I thought I had seen it all, but we now have people trying to defend the possible resigning of Jonah instead of a ready made prem cm or someone for the future. Some people are so easy to please that it beggars belief.
Last edited by summitclaret on Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jedi_master

Post by jedi_master » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:43 pm

TVC15 wrote:Laughable / worse - just semantics. It’s all the same - it’s effectively a transfer you don’t agree with.
I don’t agree with signing Jones either - but I can easily name 50 signings I disagreed with more.

Seriously it does not justify the negativity and outrage that you are showing....even if he signs we are still left with arguably the best squad of players most of us have ever seen.
Enjoy it whilst it lasts...because when we signed Joe Gallagher I really strongly disagreed with that. I was working in the Sparrow Hawk hotel behind the bar and he was stopping there and when I saw him limping around I knew the rumours about him being lame were true - and he got in the first eleven with that very same limp.
I am a lot more positive than I am coming across, believe me. I love this team. I’m 32, I’ve only ever seen an upwards trajectory in my lifetime - and I don’t take it for granted.

I just want to see the money that we clearly have be invested to ensure we are at least trying to remain competitive. Surely that’s what we all want?

As I say, this debate will be something that we can laugh at in a few days time when Jones has signed for the likes of Blackpool or Burton Albion etc, which, genuinely, is his level now. That’s not doing him a disservice, I was one of the few fans of his on this messageboard (he got a lot of unwarranted criticism) and certainly wish him well.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 520 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:43 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:Why we signed wells when he was injured / signed crouch who couldn't get a game a division below / spent 28 million in players and not play them
Have we become a victim of our success?

No link provided.

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:45 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:We can all have our theories and opinions, but the bottom line is that it would be f***ing laughable if we took David Jones on.

In fact I've had to change my pants twice just thinking about it.
Won't happen . When we reappoint Brian Laws as Dyche exits at 9am tomorrow the deal will collapse.

Don't fret.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:46 pm

Greenmile wrote:I reckon they all cost more over the course of their contracts (adjusted for football levels of inflation) than Jones would as a one-year stopgap.

I wasn’t too bothered either way about signing Jones (if we can’t find the CM we’re clearly looking for). Now I hope it does happen, just to see the epic levels of crying on here.
I hope we weaken our team just so I can see the reaction of other fans , call yourself a Burnley fan , you’re an utter disgrace

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1182 times
Has Liked: 418 times

Post by Darthlaw » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:47 pm

Appointing Laws at 5pm on Thursday would be world class trolling on the part of BFC.

Part of me would like to see the meltdown.
This user liked this post: Lord Beamish

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3337 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:47 pm

Listen if we are signing any former midfielder it’s going to be Dean Marney alright.
No arguments.

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1149 times
Has Liked: 1443 times

Post by Pearcey » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:48 pm

summitclaret wrote:I thought I had seen it all, but we now have people trying to defend the possible resigning of Jonah instead of a ready made prem cm or sineone firctge future. Some people are so easy to please that it beggars belief.
Has anyone said they want Jones to sign? No doubt that it would be a backward step but there are a lot of people getting all worked up about nothing. If the window shuts and we haven’t signed a quality centre mid then it will have been a disappointing window. I’d just rather wait until it’s all over before commenting.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:49 pm

joey13 wrote:I hope we weaken our team just so I can see the reaction of other fans , call yourself a Burnley fan , you’re an utter disgrace
- how would making a signing weaken our team? Nobody is suggesting Jones would be first name on the team sheet.

- it’s only a game, mate. Chin up.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:50 pm

Pearcey wrote:Has anyone said they want Jones to sign?
I have, but only to see how upset folk like Joey and Boysie get.

Edit - and how could I have forgotten right-winger? That would be a perfect storm for him - a manager he hates signing a player he hates for next to no money. The meltdown would be epic.
Last edited by Greenmile on Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 2 users liked this post: BOYSIE31 Pearcey

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:56 pm

Pablo Hernandez rumour but could be made up of course.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:56 pm

summitclaret wrote:I thought I had seen it all, but we now have people trying to defend the possible resigning of Jonah instead of a ready made prem cm or sineone firctge future. Some people are so easy to please that it beggars belief.
You just see what you want to see
Nobody has said they want to sign him as far as I can see - the difference is that some with a bit more perspective than you don’t see it as the end of the world. We’d still have 24 other players - most of which have done pretty well in the last few years.
If you think Jones is league one standard you should see our 4th goalkeeper !

jedi_master

Post by jedi_master » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:57 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Pablo Hernandez rumour but could be made up of course.
Getting on but he is class.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2460 times
Has Liked: 1990 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:58 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:I get the idea of helping out Jones by letting him train with us but why did he play today. ? We have an under 23 squad and an under 18 squad full of players who would benefit from the experience.One of them who we have just given a contract to, got 10 minutes as a substitute for Jones.
Maybe SD thinks his experience will improve their game as an on field coach but you can be sure thought was put into it and he won't be anywhere near our first team.

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:59 pm

Jones signing wouldn’t change anything, because he does practically nada on a football pitch.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:59 pm

TVC15 wrote: ...Nobody has said they want to sign him as far as I can see...
I’m beginning to wonder if anyone can even see my posts.

Maybe everyone has me on their foe list. Fair enough.
These 2 users liked this post: Paul Waine CombatClaret

burnley007
Been Liked: 639 times
Has Liked: 670 times

Post by burnley007 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:59 pm

This has to be the most pathetic thread ever on this forum.
It's like a recording of my worst drunken arguments at 2am, all jumbled up into even more idiotic nonsense.
These 3 users liked this post: tiger76 creepingdeath longsidepies

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:01 pm

jedi_master wrote:Getting on but he is class.
15 million. Twitter though so could be made up

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:02 pm

jedi_master wrote:I am a lot more positive than I am coming across, believe me. I love this team. I’m 32, I’ve only ever seen an upwards trajectory in my lifetime - and I don’t take it for granted.

I just want to see the money that we clearly have be invested to ensure we are at least trying to remain competitive. Surely that’s what we all want?

As I say, this debate will be something that we can laugh at in a few days time when Jones has signed for the likes of Blackpool or Burton Albion etc, which, genuinely, is his level now. That’s not doing him a disservice, I was one of the few fans of his on this messageboard (he got a lot of unwarranted criticism) and certainly wish him well.
And I have argued many times that we have plenty of leeway in our financial position to be spending more money on transfers and wages than we have done. But I can also accept that whilst I might have a good understanding of football finances I have very little clue as to the actual day to day workings of the club and how difficult it is to get players in or the budget constraints and parameters Dyche is having to work with. I am pretty sure that whatever Dyche does he does it in the best interest of the club.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5551 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:05 pm

FactualFrank wrote:15 million. Twitter though so could be made up
I can’t believe for one minute we would pay £15m for a 34-year old.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2003 times
Has Liked: 3332 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:14 pm

TVC15 wrote:And I have argued many times that we have plenty of leeway in our financial position to be spending more money on transfers and wages than we have done. But I can also accept that whilst I might have a good understanding of football finances I have very little clue as to the actual day to day workings of the club and how difficult it is to get players in or the budget constraints and parameters Dyche is having to work with. I am pretty sure that whatever Dyche does he does it in the best interest of the club.
Absolutely agree, but surely we're better off signing nobody than re signing Jones at this stage of his career. (And as others have said, I was also actually a fan of Jones when he was "relevant" to us)

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 580 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:20 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Pablo Hernandez rumour but could be made up of course.
Let’s just make a bid for every member of the Leeds squad and see what happens.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:22 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:Absolutely agree, but surely we're better off signing nobody than re signing Jones at this stage of his career. (And as others have said, I was also actually a fan of Jones when he was "relevant" to us)
Yep probably - but we don’t see or understand all that is going on and given the controversy or confusion that such a signing would cause amongst fans I think if we did sign him that Garlick and Dyche should explain to the fans why we had signed him....usually I would say that they don’t have to justify their decision or signings because they have earned their credibility but IF we did sign Jones for most fans that’s going to need some explaining.

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:23 pm

Just give Leeds what they want for Phillips and get it done. £15 - £20m and Vydra should do it.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:27 pm

Tick tock

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:28 pm

TVC15 wrote:Yep probably - but we don’t see or understand all that is going on and given the controversy or confusion that such a signing would cause amongst fans I think if we did sign him that Garlick and Dyche should explain to the fans why we had signed him....usually I would say that they don’t have to justify their decision or signings because they have earned their credibility but IF we did sign Jones for most fans that’s going to need some explaining.
Agree up to a point. They don't necessarily have to "explain" it as such, but they have to realise the message it would send out to fans, our players, other potential signings and to other clubs would be very poor and would basically be saying "we tried hard, but we couldn't attract a decent quality CM to the club as the ones we looked at preferred to go elsewhere, so we've signed a guy we released 3 years ago, who is now 35 and who has been let go by a poor Championship side" Mmmm!

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7175 times

Post by Quicknick » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:32 pm

We haven't signed him.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:34 pm

Quicknick wrote:We haven't signed him.
Yes we have.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23465083" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These 4 users liked this post: Rick_Muller Paul Waine rob63 THEWELLERNUT70

Father Jack
Been Liked: 148 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by Father Jack » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:35 pm

Surprised we didn’t go in for James McCarthy. £8m and doubt ridiculous wage demands. Felt like an obvious choice to me.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 842 times
Has Liked: 577 times

Post by jojomk1 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:37 pm

Haven't signed who
David Jones
Plenty of time cos nobody else will go near him
Presume CT has his article ready

KlyBfc
Been Liked: 213 times
Has Liked: 128 times

Post by KlyBfc » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:38 pm

In an absolute emergency Dave Jones wouldn’t be the worst person to have to bring on / in. As in the case of a huge injury crisis (or with our current midfielders just an injury crisis). For example I liked the look of benson at Fleetwood but if we are nearing the end of the season and need a body in a relegation 6pointer I’d rather we started Jones. So I get why Dyche would resort to someone he knows and trusts.

However despite that perspective should we sign Dave Jones as our only centre midfielder incoming, there is absolute no doubt that our recruitment team are an absolute embarrassment, be it those who identify the players or those responsible for getting signings over the line. Crouch was bad enough but combined with this would be god dam ridiculous.

jojomk1

Post by jojomk1 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:39 pm

ksrclaret wrote:Yes we have.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23465083" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brilliant !!!

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:39 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:Agree up to a point. They don't necessarily have to "explain" it as such, but they have to realise the message it would send out to fans, our players, other potential signings and to other clubs would be very poor and would basically be saying "we tried hard, but we couldn't attract a decent quality CM to the club as the ones we looked at preferred to go elsewhere, so we've signed a guy we released 3 years ago, who is now 35 and who has been let go by a poor Championship side" Mmmm!
Yep or it could be along the lines that we tried to sign x and y player but the demands were too much and we signed Jones as emergency cover whilst he also looks to undertake his coaching badges / help develop the under 23s etc
I’ll just be glad when the transfer window is over and the football starts again...if we do get relegated it could very well be because we failed to strengthen or we could just as easily make a similar signing to the £35m midfielder Fulham signed and everyone will he happy for a short while and we still get relegated because he turns out to be sh-ite......when you are club like Burnley no decision we make is an easy one which we can guarantee survival. The irony will probably be that when we do go down (because 100% we will) it will be after spending a fortune in a transfer window !!
This user liked this post: creepingdeath

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2349 times
Has Liked: 3177 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:39 pm

Greenmile wrote:I’m beginning to wonder if anyone can even see my posts.

Hi Greenmile, "liked" just to show that I've not "foe'd" you.

jojomk1

Post by jojomk1 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:40 pm

KlyBfc wrote:In an absolute emergency Dave Jones wouldn’t be the worst person to have to bring on / in. As in the case of a huge injury crisis (or with our current midfielders just an injury crisis). For example I liked the look of benson at Fleetwood but if we are nearing the end of the season and need a body in a relegation 6pointer I’d rather we started Jones. So I get why Dyche would resort to someone he knows and trusts.

However despite that perspective should we sign Dave Jones as our only centre midfielder incoming, there is absolute no doubt that our recruitment team are an absolute embarrassment, be it those who identify the players or those responsible for getting signings over the line. Crouch was bad enough but combined with this would be god dam ridiculous.
He is good for the dressing room

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:42 pm

Greenmile wrote:I’m beginning to wonder if anyone can even see my posts.

Just to say you're definitely on my foe list (of one)
This user liked this post: Greenmile