BFC TRANSFER NEWS (MUST CONTAIN LINK)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Re: BFC TRANSFER NEWS (MUST CONTAIN LINK)

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:22 pm

Tall Paul wrote:Presumably you think these players would walk into most bottom half PL teams? If that's the case why are they still at Sevilla if they can come to the PL for a massive pay rise?
No idea mate, maybe we think players who play in La Liga and Europa league finals aren't as good as Jack Cork yet we were apparently (who knows the truth) in for Camarassa as he had proved himself at Cardiff :D

My point wasn't really about why we or anyone hadn't gone for particular players, just that we could afford quite a lot of them if we deemed them good enough (which many clearly are)

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:23 pm

Hibsclaret wrote:How many Spanish players do you see playing for teams outside the top 6 in England?

Not many and the reason is they need the best part of 100k a week to leave the sunshine...irrespective of what they earn at Sevilla.
do they ****, and I gave Sevilla as an example. I could have picked players from Germany, France and Belgium. Amazing how we afforded Defour

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:25 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:No idea mate, maybe we think players who play in La Liga and Europa league finals aren't as good as Jack Cork yet we were apparently (who knows the truth) in for Camarassa as he had proved himself at Cardiff :D

My point wasn't really about why we or anyone hadn't gone for particular players, just that we could afford quite a lot of them if we deemed them good enough (which many clearly are)
I'm not convinced. If they're clearly good enough and can earn more in the PL, the market dictates that they'd be here.
Vegas Claret wrote:do they ****, and I gave Sevilla as an example. I could have picked players from Germany, France and Belgium. Amazing how we afforded Defour
We could only afford Defour because his value was reduced due to his fitness problems.
Last edited by Tall Paul on Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1426 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:27 pm

Amazed we haven’t raided Huddersfield for a couple.lets see what tomorrow holds but so far, so good. UTC

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:28 pm

Tall Paul wrote:I'm not convinced. If they're clearly good enough and can earn more in the PL, the market dictates that they'd be here.
not really, it's down to clubs to take a chance I suppose. Many clearly don't work out but plenty do - but we've an endless list of players just under Dyche that haven't worked out, **** happens !

Newcastle spending 40 million on that Brazilian is insanity for example, Leicester trying to sign Praet for 20 million is a no brainer as he is real known quality (I'm ignoring wages on this as these two clubs just throw money about)

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Re: Danny Drinkwater

Post by tiger76 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:29 pm

ksrclaret wrote:I suspect Brighton could. Reports that they've just made a £30m bid for a player from Belgium, so they've got a bit of brass down there

Edit - although that bid is for a midfielder, so they might not even want or need Drinkwater
£30m blimey! and people think the European market's full of bargains.

BFC88
Been Liked: 34 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Post by BFC88 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:29 pm

mybloodisclaret wrote:Burnley will not pay DD 100k... i would be surprised if they hit 50k per week on a loan. That's still 2.5 million for the year. Also aren't West Ham now in the running? It reminds me of the Snodgrass situation.
Barely touches the sides of the cash we've got squirrelled away. Hope we get this over the line, he'd be an excellent addition.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:33 pm

Tall Paul wrote:I'm not convinced. If they're clearly good enough and can earn more in the PL, the market dictates that they'd be here.

We could only afford Defour because his value was reduced due to his fitness problems.
he could have gone to China and earned a boat load more cash - so how did we attract him ? I'll take a stab at Premier League football

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:33 pm

Pay Chelsea £5million to loan him-Drinks get paid £50k/week by Chelsea- we pay him the other £50k-job done and he plays for us as opposed to £5million for Wells and £11million for Vydra who don't play for us. At the end of the year he has cost us £7.5 million-BARGAIN

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:34 pm

And who do we replace him with when he goes back to Chelsea next year because we can't afford the transfer fee?

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:36 pm

mybloodisclaret wrote:Burnley will not pay DD 100k... i would be surprised if they hit 50k per week on a loan. That's still 2.5 million for the year. Also aren't West Ham now in the running? It reminds me of the Snodgrass situation.
I don't think that would necessarily be a problem. Burnley could pay half his wage (£2.5m) while Chelsea agree to pay the other half (£2.5m). And then Burnley pay Chelsea a £2.5m loan fee. That way, the price for Burnley is no more than a year of (say) Hendrick or Cork when their transfer fees are split pro rata, and the wage cap isn't broken.

Of course, that depends on two things - one, whether Burnley think he's worth that much; two, whether Chelsea want to make a profit on the deal (ie. bigger loan fee) as opposed to just getting him off the wage bill.

[Edit] - or do what mdd said! :)
Last edited by dsr on Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:37 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:And who do we replace him with when he goes back to Chelsea next year because we can't afford the transfer fee?
I don't think that that should be a priority in our thinking at present. We need someone for this season and we can start to worry about his replacement once we've got him here.

BFC88
Been Liked: 34 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Post by BFC88 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:38 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:I'm amazed we have managed to keep hold of him this summer then - we must be fighting off bids daily

The only ones to leave after heaton and maybe tarks will be dropping down a league.
To be fair Westwood was brilliant last season. He played out of his skin and was a standout performer alongside Taylor IMO

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:38 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:not really, it's down to clubs to take a chance I suppose. Many clearly don't work out but plenty do - but we've an endless list of players just under Dyche that haven't worked out, **** happens !

Newcastle spending 40 million on that Brazilian is insanity for example, Leicester trying to sign Praet for 20 million is a no brainer as he is real known quality (I'm ignoring wages on this as these two clubs just throw money about)
You seem to have shifted the goalposts from these players being clearly good enough to it's taking a chance and it might not work out, which is more realistic and probably the reason they're not all over here playing PL football.

Joelinton is a good example that maybe the European market isn't always such great value after all.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:38 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:And who do we replace him with when he goes back to Chelsea next year because we can't afford the transfer fee?
Cross that bridge when we come to it-if it keeps us in this league another season if that is what we want that will be money well spent (assuming he does well for us)

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:41 pm

So he's slotting into Cork's position? Cork to leave on a free in 2020, Defour also out of contract and Hendrick? So what are we to do?

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:42 pm

Tall Paul wrote:You seem to have shifted the goalposts from these players being clearly good enough to it's taking a chance and it might not work out, which is more realistic and probably the reason they're not all over here playing PL football.

Joelinton is a good example that maybe the European market isn't always such great value after all.
No shifted any goalposts, Maddison from Norwich was a risk for Leicester but he worked out and anyone who had watched him would have said he would be good enough but maybe not to the degree he has proven to be

McNeil was a risk for us but that has worked out

Every signing is a risk no matter the cost

The Joelinton fee is hilarious tbh

All just my opinion though, I've been known to be wrong plenty of times, just ask the mrs :lol:

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:42 pm

Panic.
This user liked this post: rob63

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:43 pm

Didnt think of that. Call it off. Scrap the loan system Jeremy Corbyn has found a massive flaw
Last edited by Damo on Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:44 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:With all due respect you don't watch nearly enough football if the above is your argument.
I'm not suggesting we do what any of those clubs are doing, they are almost throwing darts at it and hoping one sticks.
Pepe was a standout years ago, I've no idea why nobody took a chance on him and to me they will be proven very foolish for not doing so.
Maybe watch some of the foreign leagues this season (not just the odd game) and you will see there are players we could comfortably afford that would walk into our midfield.

edit: I will add we were linked with a bid for Ajax's Ziyech a couple of years ago so we must be looking
So you haven’t got a clue why nobody bought Pépé when you thought it was a “no brainier” and you are not suggesting that we do what all the clubs I referenced do - despite the fact that a number of the players they were buying had decent records playing for their countries or previous teams.

It sounds like you are saying let’s just buy the good players at decent prices and wages and let’s not buy any expensive bad players.
I agree 100% and i’ll email the club first thing tomorrow with this fantastic new initiative. Hopefully we’ll have a few hours before the deadline to implement the new transfer policy.
If you could let us know anymore of these no brainier signings that will go up in value fivefold like Pépé can you let me know and i’ll add it to the email
This user liked this post: Hibsclaret

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 586 times

Post by rob63 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:44 pm

tiger76 wrote:£30m blimey! and people think the European market's full of bargains.
He'd be £60m here!

Rumbletonk
Been Liked: 313 times
Has Liked: 285 times

Post by Rumbletonk » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:46 pm

Dyche clearly sees him as the perfect partner for Jones so that'll do me

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:48 pm

TVC15 wrote:So you haven’t got a clue why nobody bought Pépé when you thought it was a “no brainier” and you are not suggesting that we do what all the clubs I referenced do - despite the fact that a number of the players they were buying had decent records playing for their countries or previous teams.

It sounds like you are saying let’s just buy the good players at decent prices and wages and let’s not buy any expensive bad players.
I agree 100% and i’ll email the club first thing tomorrow with this fantastic new initiative. Hopefully we’ll have a few hours before the deadline to implement the new transfer policy.
If you could let us know anymore of these no brainier signings that will go up in value fivefold like Pépé can you let me know and i’ll add it to the email
How would I know why nobody signed Pepe ? Do I sit in boardrooms at football clubs and help them make decisions ??

Plenty of other players have been mentioned on here by the likes of Zikov and Belgian to name just a few. Like I've said to others, maybe start watching some other leagues instead of just the PL and you'll see for yourself.

And don't get me wrong, I think the money we paid for Jay Rod and Pieters are fantastic bits of business - no reason why that can't be replicated

Sarcasm suites you, you should be more sarcastic in all your posts :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Vegas Claret on Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:50 pm

The Nets Filling nicely. Job almost Done!

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:54 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zdcd08XWRs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3748 times
Has Liked: 7520 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:55 pm

tim_noone wrote:The Nets Filling nicely. Job almost Done!
Nah
A good few left yet.

The sequel when DD doesn't arrive is what I'm looking forward to. :lol:

Bin Ont Turf

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:57 pm

tim_noone wrote:The Nets Filling nicely. Job almost Done!

Caps lock tourette's?

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:58 pm

Tall Paul wrote:What don't you think I get?

My post was in response to the person who thinks there are players out there better than our first team squad who will play for under £30k a week. There are plenty who aren't as good that we could sign, like Vydra, Gibson, Wells etc but the we get people moaning that we're wasting money (the same ones who moan that we can't sign anyone good enough).

There probably are such players, but if they're good enough to replace players in our first team (that have proven they're good enough for PL football), other clubs will probably know about them and be prepared to offer them more. They won't play for £30k a week if they can get £31k somewhere else.

That's the reality of the market.

It's also not very cost effective to add £30k a week to our wage bill for what would probably be a marginal upgrade.
The £30k a week isn't particularly relevant though, our wage ceiling is way higher than that.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:58 pm

Where does he play ? :D :D

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:04 am

aggi wrote:The £30k a week isn't particularly relevant though, our wage ceiling is way higher than that.
That was the figure in the original post I was replying to. The point is the same though, whatever number you use.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:06 am

Vegas Claret wrote:How would I know why nobody signed Pepe ? Do I sit in boardrooms at football clubs and help them make decisions ??

Plenty of other players have been mentioned on here by the likes of Zikov and Belgian to name just a few. Like I've said to others, maybe start watching some other leagues instead of just the PL and you'll see for yourself.

And don't get me wrong, I think the money we paid for Jay Rod and Pieters are fantastic bits of business - no reason why that can't be replicated

Sarcasm suites you, you should be more sarcastic in all your posts :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers i’ll try my best.
I might start even laughing at my own jokes too.

If everyone else missed out on this “no brainier” of yours then that’s absolutely fine as it means we are no better or worse than every other team at this stuff.
It’s amazing that 20 teams with the biggest resources and finances of any league in the world failed to see what you could....absolutely incredible.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:06 am

Funkydrummer wrote:Where does he play ? :D :D
He plays where he wants it's Danny Drinkwater he plays where he wants.... :roll:

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:09 am

This thread has overtaken the Brexit threads for the amount of up their own backside participation.
We just need some YTIB comments to beat the claretsmad record

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:09 am

TVC15 wrote:Cheers i’ll try my best.
I might start even laughing at my own jokes too.

If everyone else missed out on this “no brainier” of yours then that’s absolutely fine as it means we are no better or worse than every other team at this stuff.
It’s amazing that 20 teams with the biggest resources and finances of any league in the world failed to see what you could....absolutely incredible.
or maybe they weren't brave enough given his age, his ability was clear for all to see though (not just me) and there are plenty of others TVC. Like I said, we went in for Ziyech at the same time so maybe we thought he was a better/more viable option but he opted to stay at Ajax - that proves we are looking though which is a good thing.

Nice work on the continued sarcasm :D

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:10 am

Our window is closing....we move on

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:15 am

The Enclosure wrote:Our window is closing....we move on
Quite apt me thinks :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiHhTdg8qrc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bin Ont Turf

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:23 am

Funkydrummer wrote:Quite apt me thinks :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiHhTdg8qrc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pffffftt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEv6jy_7PQQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:26 am

Vegas Claret wrote:or maybe they weren't brave enough given his age, his ability was clear for all to see though (not just me) and there are plenty of others TVC. Like I said, we went in for Ziyech at the same time so maybe we thought he was a better/more viable option but he opted to stay at Ajax - that proves we are looking though which is a good thing.

Nice work on the continued sarcasm :D
When you say his ability was clear for ALL to see I take it you mean all except every football club in the Premier League and every other scout and manager of all the top European teams ?
I’m getting good at this

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:28 am

TVC15 wrote:When you say his ability was clear for ALL to see I take it you mean all except every football club in the Premier League and every other scout and manager of all the top European teams ?
I’m getting good at this
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1208 times
Has Liked: 7098 times

Post by Quicknick » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:41 am

Granny WeatherWax wrote:We best get planning for relegation then as we will never be able to bring any even as good a player as the quality of the ones we have now.
Drivel.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:59 am

Darnhill Claret wrote:Why do folk complain when SD states that trying to land targets is difficult but are seemingly oblivious when other managers say the same thing. Pep is on record just recently saying the same thing. Have you noticed how busy Watford have been, close to London, just had a great season. Spurs last season. BFC and SD are not the only ones struggling.
Spurs, no money due to the new ground, they'll sign players last day of the window like they usually do
City - always going to be a hard market for them but for different reasons - they have to find players that will improve them, money isn't an issue
Watford, signed loads of players last season, how many more do they need ?

No doubt it's difficult but every club has a different situation so to compare them is pointless

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2687 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:07 am

One day to go,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I just hope we don't lose any of our Top 15 / 16 players

It would be good to add one.

Low expectations I know.
But we are Burnley ........
Some posters really expect too much.
Yes we have a framework .... there is a very good reason we have...

Danny Drinkwater loan might be good for both parties.
Why do posters on hear think we can compete on financial levels?
We can't.

I don't think we are doing too badly doing it our way.
Why cripple a Town Club we are all proud of on - buying over valued expensive might work maybe's. This is not our market.
Hence we sign players with something to prove.
Or Potential.
Or at the tail end of their careers that are proven and want a chance to actually play.

We can't and won't do it any other way.

We pay less wages which puts off the payday journeymen - and this is a good thing.
Bonuses for working to keep us top flight rather than wages.

Bottom line - We are not doing much wrong.

Drinky link
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... -deal.html
This user liked this post: creepingdeath

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:10 am

HunterST_BFC wrote:One day to go,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I just hope we don't lose any of our Top 15 / 16 players

It would be good to add one.

Low expectations I know.
But we are Burnley ........
Some posters really expect too much.
Yes we have a framework .... there is a very good reason we have...

Danny Drinkwater loan might be good for both parties.
Why do posters on hear think we can compete on financial levels?
We can't.

I don't think we are doing too badly doing it our way.
Why cripple a Town Club we are all proud of on - buying over valued expensive might work maybe's. This is not our market.
Hence we sign players with something to prove.
Or Potential.
Or at the tail end of their careers that are proven and want a chance to actually play.

We can't and won't do it any other way.

We pay less wages which puts off the payday journeymen - and this is a good thing.
Bonuses for working to keep us top flight rather than wages.

Bottom line - We are not doing much wrong.

Drinky link
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... -deal.html
"buying over valued expensive might work maybe's"

Not seen a single poster suggest that.

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2687 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:35 am

Vegas Claret wrote:"buying over valued expensive might work maybe's"

Not seen a single poster suggest that.
Out of context - see the full post.
Vegas, read it again.

Your posts are usually worth a view.

This is my view with a day to go to close and seeing our trend with signings.

In a nutshell it's how we work and how we have to work.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:48 am

HunterST_BFC wrote:Out of context - see the full post.
Vegas, read it again.

Your posts are usually worth a view.

This is my view with a day to go to close and seeing our trend with signings.

In a nutshell it's how we work and how we have to work.
I don't think I was taking it out of context, I agree with your post, just saying I hadn't seen a poster suggest us buying over valued expensive might work maybe's (mind you, I've not read the entire thread!)

Untinted Glasses
Been Liked: 132 times
Has Liked: 152 times

Post by Untinted Glasses » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:40 am

Admin can you please delete this thread, it’s embarrassing

Father Jack
Been Liked: 148 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by Father Jack » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:12 am

Ill say it again on the thread because it’s probably been lost in all of the bickering but James McCarthy at £3m is something we could have done in our finance structure. Would have ticked the boxes for me.
These 3 users liked this post: Woodleyclaret Raggus tiger76

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:34 am

Darnhill Claret wrote:Why do folk complain when SD states that trying to land targets is difficult but are seemingly oblivious when other managers say the same thing. Pep is on record just recently saying the same thing. Have you noticed how busy Watford have been, close to London, just had a great season. Spurs last season. BFC and SD are not the only ones struggling.
Because those managers still land their targets despite saying it.
This user liked this post: Lonsdaleclarets

nyclaret
Been Liked: 335 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by nyclaret » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:34 am

Father Jack wrote:Ill say it again on the thread because it’s probably been lost in all of the bickering but James McCarthy at £3m is something we could have done in our finance structure. Would have ticked the boxes for me.
How do you know we weren’t in for him? Palace would’ve offered him higher wages and the lure of London.

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:41 am

Just been looking through the list of players signed by Championship clubs. How did Knockaert sign for Fulham on a Free? He would have been perfect for us:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/0/ ... lub-guide/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Forrest seem to have done really well without spending much (other than undisclosed). We were supposedly in for Adomah last year.
Last edited by Steddyman on Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.