Leeds move for Vydra

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
mkmel
Been Liked: 1270 times
Has Liked: 2234 times

Re: Leeds move for Vydra

Post by mkmel » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:57 pm

I would be delighted if we started the new season with Barnes,Wood, Rodriguez and Adams
These 3 users liked this post: Vino blanco ZizkovClaret Stalbansclaret

claret2018
Been Liked: 801 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:02 pm

Not a chance we will end up with Adams. People need to stop dreaming.

If any other PL or top half Championship club is interested in him (which they reportedly are) then they will offer him more money than us.
This user liked this post: claretfern

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:34 pm

claret2018 wrote:Not a chance we will end up with Adams. People need to stop dreaming.

If any other PL or top half Championship club is interested in him (which they reportedly are) then they will offer him more money than us.
I doubt even 1 of the "top half championship teams" could beat us on wages, never mind all of them.

I think you have a case for most premier league teams, but again, I'd not say all can beat us for a package.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:36 pm

MACCA wrote:I doubt even 1 of the "top half championship teams" could beat us on wages, never mind all of them.

I think you have a case for most premier league teams, but again, I'd not say all can beat us for a package.
I agree. And one thing to keep in mind - we don't have a bad record of buying forwards and them moving on for higher wages a decent sell on fee.

His agent will be well aware of that.

Braindead
Been Liked: 987 times
Has Liked: 1056 times

Post by Braindead » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:42 pm

Vydra goes for AT LEAST what we paid for him, all this talk of £6 million is laughable, particularly considering Dirty Leeds are putting a price tag of £20 million on an untried kid of their own.

We then put the £12 million to the £10 million we were probably going to offer for Che Adams and job's a good un.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2145 times
Has Liked: 3063 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:46 pm

Leeds trying to sign Vydra for Wells money then?

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6902 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:11 pm

FactualFrank wrote:But we haven't changed our style since we signed him, so when we put the bid in we were playing direct football.
He's a poacher. It's not all about passing it through midfield, he appears out of nowhere and nicks goals.

I'm clearly in the minority here, but I was also in the minority when I suggested we sign Chris Wood and Charlie Taylor. It's absolutely fine, I just hope he's given the time. It would be a mistake to sell him to Leeds.
Not sure why you feel the need to keep reminding people that you wanted us to sign Wood and Taylor. And I’m also not sure that you were in the minority that wanted us to sign them. They were both very highly rated at Leeds.

You also have this weird habit of making out that you’re the only one who has watched Championship football despite it being televised on a weekly basis.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:19 pm

Rileybobs wrote:Not sure why you feel the need to keep reminding people that you wanted us to sign Wood and Taylor. And I’m also not sure that you were in the minority that wanted us to sign them. They were both very highly rated at Leeds.

You also have this weird habit of making out that you’re the only one who has watched Championship football despite it being televised on a weekly basis.
Awww.... are you crying?

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:25 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Awww.... are you crying?
Maybe. But if I was I wouldn’t tell you because you’d probably laugh and be mean to me.

DustyBawls
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by DustyBawls » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:25 pm

Rileybobs wrote:Not sure why you feel the need to keep reminding people that you wanted us to sign Wood and Taylor. And I’m also not sure that you were in the minority that wanted us to sign them. They were both very highly rated at Leeds.

John Robertson mentioned signing them and was it apart from frank. sounds to me like sour grapes. you have a lot of enemies on here though so im not surprised

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:29 pm

Rileybobs wrote:Maybe. But if I was I wouldn’t tell you because you’d probably laugh and be mean to me.
Not at all buddy. I'm more than happy to disagree with you. I'll laugh at you now and I'll laugh at you in person.

I'll let you know when you come out with a valid point.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:29 pm

DustyBawls wrote:John Robertson mentioned signing them and was it apart from frank. sounds to me like sour grapes. you have a lot of enemies on here though so im not surprised
Your first sentence doesn’t make sense. I was happy that we signed Wood and Taylor so not sure why there would be any sour grapes - I just get a bit fed up of FF constantly reminding everyone how he scouted the Championship top scorer and very highly rated young full back.

I wasn’t aware that I had any enemies on here, never mind lots. Thanks for giving me the heads up though.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:32 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Not at all buddy. I'm more than happy to disagree with you. I'll laugh at you now and I'll laugh at you in person.

I'll let you know when you come out with a valid point.
Are you one of those enemies that Dusty Bawls refers to? I need to know as i like to keep my friends close but my enemies also close, and sometimes closer depending on the enemy.
This user liked this post: Darnhill Claret

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:33 pm

claret2018 wrote:Not a chance we will end up with Adams. People need to stop dreaming.

I am not sure there is one single top half team in the Championship who could currently get near to what we could offer. But feel free to name which you think.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:36 pm

Rileybobs, then ignore me! Jesus, it's not f-in difficult, is it? Don't reply to my posts. Christ. I miss 90% of your posts as you're on my list. I replied as I got the notification that you've quoted me.

You clearly read my posts and it's understandable, I know. I would read my posts too if I were you.

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 586 times

Post by rob63 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:40 pm

MDWat wrote:Leeds don’t have the money to pay what we want, unless they strike some weird deal with the Qatari’s.
But then they're sailing close to the wind with FFP........let them get promoted then get a 18 point penalty for overstretching themselves :lol: :lol:

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:42 pm

Does FFP actually exist? Teams just seem to get away with it, go to court and be fine.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:44 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Rileybobs, then ignore me! Jesus, it's not f-in difficult, is it? Don't reply to my posts. Christ. I miss 90% of your posts as you're on my list. I replied as I got the notification that you've quoted me.

You clearly read my posts and it's understandable, I know. I would read my posts too if I were you.
Just pointing out that you keep telling everyone that you were practically the only person who wanted us to sign Wood and Taylor, which is obviously not the case. No need to be so touchy like you’ve been with a number of people who have a different opinion to you on this thread.

Good to know I’m on your blacklist. I’ll have to remember to quote you every now and then so you don’t miss my best material.

rob63

Post by rob63 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:46 pm

dsr wrote:They won't sell for £6m. If they sell Vydra, they need a replacement, and there's no guarantee (in fact, it's unlikely) that a £6m replacement would be as good.
As long as they don't expect us to take Bamford in part-ex! :shock:

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:47 pm

rob63 wrote:But then they're sailing close to the wind with FFP........let them get promoted then get a 18 point penalty for overstretching themselves :lol: :lol:
I thought Vydra was on the verge of signing for Leeds last year before we came in at the last minute.
The Leeds local press reported that he has turned down a £40k per week deal at the last minute - which i’m guessing was directly as a result of us making an approach.
The transfer fee for him if Leeds would have bought him would surely have been pretty similar to what we ended up paying.

The Leeds manager is on a big salary - they must have made him promises about a decent transfer budget this summer before he agreed to resign - he was the one holding all the cards for sure.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:53 pm

Rileybobs wrote:Just pointing out that you keep telling everyone that you were practically the only person who wanted us to sign Wood and Taylor, which is obviously not the case. No need to be so touchy like you’ve been with a number of people who have a different opinion to you on this thread.

Good to know I’m on your blacklist. I’ll have to remember to quote you every now and then so you don’t miss my best material.
Well, it was the case. So deal with it. In fact, I created a thread suggesting Wood and 95% of replies was a no. So don't give me that crap. JDRobbo, when he next signs in - and assuming he sees this thread will no doubt say as much that we were both pretty much the only posters suggesting Wood and Taylor.

Had other people posted, I'd remember. They didn't. It's a case of if I say black, you say white. I get it - don't worry.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:53 pm

TVC15 wrote:I thought Vydra was on the verge of signing for Leeds last year before we came in at the last minute.
The Leeds local press reported that he has turned down a £40k per week deal at the last minute - which i’m guessing was directly as a result of us making an approach.
The transfer fee for him if Leeds would have bought him would surely have been pretty similar to what we ended up paying.

The Leeds manager is on a big salary - they must have made him promises about a decent transfer budget this summer before he agreed to resign - he was the one holding all the cards for sure.
He rejected the move to Leeds at pretty much the last minute to come to us.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:58 pm

As Footballers both Vydra and Wells Have Been treated Very Poorly By Burnley FC.imo. Why? I don't know.......I can't comment whether they're Good enough For Burnley as Both have had very limited Game time to have an opinion.

rob63

Post by rob63 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:01 pm

[quote="Braindead"]Vydra goes for AT LEAST what we paid for him, all this talk of £6 million is laughable, particularly considering Dirty Leeds are putting a price tag of £20 million on an untried kid of their own.

Particularly as they paid, what, £9m for Bamford was it?

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:07 pm

FactualFrank wrote:He rejected the move to Leeds at pretty much the last minute to come to us.
Which does suggest they can afford him - or that they nearly could !!
Leeds are a massive club - I despise them but they are huge.
They have a big catchment area for fans and also for young players.
Vydra has proven he can score in that league - he hasn’t proven he can score in the Premier League. It would be a great move for him - to play in front of those fans every week under a very good manager. Personally I think Leeds are big favourites for automatic promotion next year and with that manager I have them ahead of Fulham and the other relegated teams. The championship has got weaker IMHO in the last couple of years - teams relegated from premier league have struggled more than ever and that means after failing to go back up in their first year they are faced with having to sell their best players - like West Brom, Swansea, Hull etc have had to do.
With the big teams like Wolves and Villa now promoted Leeds will never be better placed next year to go back up.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:12 pm

TVC15 wrote:Which does suggest they can afford him - or that they nearly could !!
Leeds are a massive club - I despise them but they are huge.
They have a big catchment area for fans and also for young players.
Vydra has proven he can score in that league - he hasn’t proven he can score in the Premier League. It would be a great move for him - to play in front of those fans every week under a very good manager. Personally I think Leeds are big favourites for automatic promotion next year and with that manager I have them ahead of Fulham and the other relegated teams. The championship has got weaker IMHO in the last couple of years - teams relegated from premier league have struggled more than ever and that means after failing to go back up in their first year they are faced with having to sell their best players - like West Brom, Swansea, Hull etc have had to do.
With the big teams like Wolves and Villa now promoted Leeds will never be better placed next year to go back up.
Would I swap him for Che Adams... yes. But if he moves to Leeds he will make them stronger - they get promoted - which they will with Vydra, and they'll get a huge takeover. It makes life harder for us.

It sounds like me and you are very much on similar wavelengths. A billionaire is going to take over Leeds. Only a matter of time.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:12 pm

It’s a muchacho classic.

claretblue
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 961 times

Post by claretblue » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:39 am

rob63 wrote:Particularly as they paid, what, £9m for Bamford was it?
that was for his violin! ;)

:)
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat rob63

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:41 am

Swizzlestick wrote:It’s a muchacho classic.
Says the coward.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:24 am

Tetchy ! :lol:

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:37 am

Braindead wrote:Vydra goes for AT LEAST what we paid for him, all this talk of £6 million is laughable, particularly considering Dirty Leeds are putting a price tag of £20 million on an untried kid of their own.

We then put the £12 million to the £10 million we were probably going to offer for Che Adams and job's a good un.
Now, not saying this is correct but I heard that we got Vydra for 8 million on a few separate occasions, one of the occasions was in an interview with someone from Derby

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:15 am

Leeds bombing in the playoffs was the best thing that happened last May.
They will dodge their way out of any fair play rules as always and manage to pay top money for players
I never realised that they paid £9m for Paddy Poshboy it just shows is not only us that buys dud strikers

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:27 am

I doubt we paid the 15m or the 11m some say on here for Vydra.

Remember the famous 12m for Hendrick tag, it was no where near that.

I think the figure above of 8m will be nearer, with add ons possibly rising towards or above 10m.
I very much doubt any of them add ons have or will be activated.
This user liked this post: westend2016

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:29 am

FactualFrank wrote:Would I swap him for Che Adams... yes. But if he moves to Leeds he will make them stronger - they get promoted - which they will with Vydra, and they'll get a huge takeover. It makes life harder for us.

It sounds like me and you are very much on similar wavelengths. A billionaire is going to take over Leeds. Only a matter of time.
You don’t want us to sell him to Leeds because they may become a rival. In that case we’d better not sell him to any of about ten Championship sides who may also be promoted and become rivals.

And we shouldn’t sell him anywhere in the PL because they are already rivals (this bit does make some sense).

We’d better just sit on a £10m asset costing us circa £40k a week then.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:38 am

Swizzlestick wrote:It’s a muchacho classic.
What, who or when is Machcho when it's at home?

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Darthlaw » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:45 am

MACCA wrote:What, who or when is Machcho when it's at home?
Muchacho - Famous poster from the old place, who confessed to be faster than (and able to defend against) Cristiano Ronaldo.

One of my fave threads from the old days.
This user liked this post: Lord Beamish

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:01 am

Darthlaw wrote:Muchacho - Famous poster from the old place, who confessed to be faster than (and able to defend against) Cristiano Ronaldo.

One of my fave threads from the old days.
Ahh thank you.

I didnt see said thread, so cannot comment on the similarities to this thread.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:12 am

FF/Muchacho does have a tendency to self-aggrandisement. He invented Salt, don’t you know? And the Comma.
This user liked this post: Darnhill Claret

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:27 am

Lord Beamish wrote:FF/Muchacho does have a tendency to self-aggrandisement. He invented Salt, don’t you know? And the Comma.
It’s self-aggrizement you illiterate buffoon.
This user liked this post: Lord Beamish

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:49 am

Lord Beamish wrote:FF/Muchacho does have a tendency to self-aggrandisement. He invented Salt, don’t you know? And the Comma.
So is Frank the old Machacho then, or just similar in postings?
I'm confused

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:17 am

Rileybobs wrote:Your first sentence doesn’t make sense. I was happy that we signed Wood and Taylor so not sure why there would be any sour grapes - I just get a bit fed up of FF constantly reminding everyone how he scouted the Championship top scorer and very highly rated young full back.

I wasn’t aware that I had any enemies on here, never mind lots. Thanks for giving me the heads up though.
I find your posts interesting Rileybobs,and I like ya,can't see the dislike myself,must have missed it. :lol:
This user liked this post: Rileybobs

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:21 am

self-aggrandisement

Where's Ringo when you need him?

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3842 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:42 am

MACCA wrote:So is Frank the old Machacho then, or just similar in postings?
I'm confused
The one and only. Although he has had 3 or 4 other names.

I'm not sure if he gets banned or just likes a fresh start after getting into some beef with people?

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:19 pm

Steve1956 wrote:I find your posts interesting Rileybobs,and I like ya,can't see the dislike myself,must have missed it. :lol:
Cheers Steve. The cheque’s in the post.
This user liked this post: Steve1956

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:15 pm

If there is any truth to the rumour then I'm with Frank on this one. Vydra is a better player than Jay and the financials don't make sense.

A lot of people are jumping on the bargain £5m band wagon, but according to the rumour mill that isn't the price he is going for. The actual price is £10m (£5m now and another £5m in twelve months time ) which is a huge difference.

https://www.burnleyexpress.net/sport/fo ... -1-9813010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Okay, so we sell Vydra for £6m, making a loss on our purchase. Then we add another £4m from the transfer kitty to what we might receive for Vydra and spend £10m on Jay. Vydra drops down into the Championship, receives game time and good service at Leeds, and his value goes up to the £15m mark for a good Championship striker.

I also agree with Frank that Vydra could be exactly what Leeds need to secure promotion. They are struggling to sign Roofe up to a new contract to prevent him leaving on a free transfer. Chasing Vydra could move that along or it could allow them to ship out Roofe in this window while his stock is higher than it should be.

Jay comes in and sits on our bench as a third option, fourth if we manage to beat other clubs to the signing of Che, and we watch that £10m evaporate over his contract until he is worth nothing in respect to his resale value. He wasn't even that good last season against Championship opposition. Take away the eight soft goal penalties and all you have is hard work and an average goal threat in a less competitive league.

I could get behind spending £6m on Jay as a replacement for Crouch, to correct the baffling sale of Vokes, but as a £10m replacement and the loss of Vydra for a low amount ? No

Oh, but Che will be the replacement for Vydra.

Possibly, but only if we manage to sign him when other clubs are supposedly interested. Even if we match the transfer fee that Birmingham have in mind we will probably lose out to another club who could tempt him with higher wages.

Keeping our wages within a tight band helps solidarity, but it means any other team can offer outside that band to beat us to the punch and a lot of clubs are more than capable of doing that.

Do we break our wage structure and push everything forward to stay in line with a new high wage earner or do we shrug our shoulders and miss out ?

I would place Che in the £20m+ category given all of the supposed competition for his signature. Thanks to Birminghams "shoot on sight" protocol his form was outstanding last season, but so was Jukes. Prior to that the pair of them were very ordinary.

Would we pay £10M+ to bring back Juke on the basis of last season?

Don't get me wrong, I really like the look of Che, but £20m would be a very hefty price to pay for him. He might go for less, but if we experience any serious competition for his signature I doubt it. An awful lot will depend on how firm the supposed interest from other clubs actually is in him and how much they have to spend.

£20m is what I would expect us to pay for a striker with proven top level credentials. It isn't the price I would be rushing to pay for a player who is untested in the PL on the back of one amazing season. I suppose it is the price range we have condemned ourselves to by limiting all our transfer options to the domestic market once again. I can see the potential for an increase in value, but it is a big price tag and a big risk.

The bigger risk is that we sell Vydra, lose out on Che, and we start next season with a strike force of Barnes, Wood, Jay and Crouch.

Even if we sell Vydra and bring in Che and Jay we could end up spending £24m of our very limited funds to improve our bench. ( 20 + 10 ) - 6 = 24

Did the recruitment department forget that we could really use another quality midfielder or are we looking to cover that base with Harrison Reed.

Vydra is better and younger than Jay. Selling him so we can pay an extra £4m for a lesser player with no future resale value is lunacy. The only real argument I can see in support of it is that Jay would fulfil the support function that Juke Provided for Che last season. If we keep Vydra and add Che we won't be able to replicate that dynamic as easily.

Our window could include

Paying way over the odds for Che, because we tried to low ball Birmingham at Christmas and haven't scouted any viable alternatives in the last six months.

Swapping Vydra for Jay.

Bolstering our midfield with a pricey domestic addition who will offer more of the same after he has adjusted to the PL.

Replacing the 17 to 18 players who left our development set up with a single player that we scouted from the ground of our U23 squad. Senior could go on to establish himself as a first team player, and I really hope he does, but it doesn't say a lot in terms of "no stone left uncovered" scouting.

That doesn't strike me as a great window.

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 292 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:34 pm

Jeeezzz I'm off down the pub

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:43 pm

"that doesn't strike me as a great window.." ...Have you got this week's lottery numbers ?

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3842 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:45 pm

Can we put long time lurkers posts on Audio basis only?

Chris Boden doesn't write his articles that long.
This user liked this post: TVC15

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:49 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:It’s self-aggrizement you illiterate buffoon.
Sorry FC m8 this isn't a criticism but...

self-aggrandizement
/əˈɡrandɪzm(ə)nt/
noun
noun: self-aggrandisement
the action or process of promoting oneself as being powerful or important.
"critics accused him of self-aggrandizement"
This user liked this post: TheFamilyCat

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:54 pm

Bosscat wrote:Sorry FC m8 this isn't a criticism but...

self-aggrandizement
/əˈɡrandɪzm(ə)nt/
noun
noun: self-aggrandisement
the action or process of promoting oneself as being powerful or important.
"critics accused him of self-aggrandizement"
It’s a bit of an in-joke, Bosscat.