New handball rule. Could it be bad news for Burnley?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

New handball rule. Could it be bad news for Burnley?

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:40 pm

As of the 1st June, new rules have been brought in.

Crucially, the big change is that a handball does not have to be seen as deliberate and a handball will be awarded if the arm is moved to make the body bigger or is seen as an ‘unnatural position.

Deliberate handball remains an offenceThe following ‘handball’ situations, even if accidental, will be a free kick:

The ball goes into the goal after touching an attacking player’s hand/arm.

A player gains control/possession of the ball after it has touches their hand/arm and then scores, or creates a goal-scoring opportunity

.The ball touches a player’s hand/arm which has made their body unnaturally bigger.

The ball touches a player’s hand/arm when it is above their shoulder (unless the player has deliberately played the ball which then touches their hand/arm).

Now, we can successfully, soak a lot of pressure up , just look at the possession figures of certain games we've actually won. However, with the new rules coming in from August I'm worried that attack minded teams, will benefit, disproportionately, from situations arising that were previously seen as "No intention" or "accidental" so went unpunished with no penalty awarded.

I'm concerned that when, previously, we've had a brilliant seige mentality, and it's been like the Alamo. We will be punished by unscrupulous forwards , who will engineer a handball to secure a penalty.
Last edited by RingoMcCartney on Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Braindead
Been Liked: 987 times
Has Liked: 1056 times

Re: New handball rule. Could it be for Burnley?

Post by Braindead » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:42 pm

It is always going to benefit those teams that consistently get the ball into the opposition penalty area.

In other words Not Burnley.

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Re: New handball rule. Could it be for Burnley?

Post by SalisburyClaret » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:51 pm

I’d agree, I think the new rules will affect us far more than most as we spend long periods defending and blocking so the chance of one of these ridiculous new handballs being given will be much higher.

The way to avoid this is to keep the ball more or attack more - that’s not really our style so I think we will suffer

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2472 times
Has Liked: 2008 times

Re: New handball rule. Could it be bad news for Burnley?

Post by Tricky Trevor » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:09 pm

Just get your hands tucked away. Trippier has been doing it a long time. It’s just a new technique for them to brain train themselves to do. FBs have got away with blocking crosses for far too long and they know exactly what they are doing.
I don’t remember that many incidents that caused us palpitations last year. Mee’s against Cardiff was the most worrying and that was a different situation. Having headed(nosed) it onto his own arm.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:13 pm

Dyche was asked during the CL Final on 5 Live about this. He said the defence has worked on body shape for blocking for a very long time now.

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:15 pm

To be fair do you not think that all teams will be looking at this closely for next season?

I also think that these new rules will benefit Burnley and harm teams - like Palace - who rely heavily on penalties for their goals. Wasn't it something like 25% of their goals penalties?

With VAR you are going to see ALL teams getting a lot more penalties and this should even up the score on that front. Palace stayed up last year because they got pens. That advantage will disappear next season.

Furthermore, we get the ball in the box a lot from deep - probably more chance of the arm being in an unnatural position and of defenders fouling to limit our aerial threat.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:18 pm

Are we sure yet that the FIFA interpretation used in the European Cups and the Womens World Cup will be enforced as rigorously in the Prem though?
This user liked this post: Chip Harrison

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32530 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:22 pm

Foulthrow wrote:I also think that these new rules will benefit Burnley and harm teams - like Palace - who rely heavily on penalties for their goals. Wasn't it something like 25% of their goals penalties?
You are spot on with Palace, 10 pens scored and they scored a total of 41 goals.

I don't have a list of penalties that weren't scored (missed or saved) but the final totals of goals scored from penalties in the Premier League by club were:

10: Crystal Palace
9: Manchester United
7: Bournemouth, Liverpool
5: Brighton, Chelsea, Leicester, West Ham
4: Arsenal, Southampton, Tottenham, Wolves
3: Cardiff, Manchester City
2: Burnley, Everton. Fulham
1: Huddersfield, Newcastle, Watford

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:22 pm

Foulthrow wrote:To be fair do you not think that all teams will be looking at this closely for next season?

I also think that these new rules will benefit Burnley and harm teams - like Palace - who rely heavily on penalties for their goals. Wasn't it something like 25% of their goals penalties?

With VAR you are going to see ALL teams getting a lot more penalties and this should even up the score on that front. Palace stayed up last year because they got pens. That advantage will disappear next season.

Furthermore, we get the ball in the box a lot from deep - probably more chance of the arm being in an unnatural position and of defenders fouling to limit our aerial threat.
You're right, all teams will be looking at it and once players have adjusted to it following a bedding in period there may be a level playing field, for want of a better phrase.

You could look at Palace and say, if they got a lot of penalties under the old rules, in the new environment, i suppose, they could be awarded even more!

I like your positivity though. Fair play.
This user liked this post: Foulthrow

dsr
Been Liked: 4577 times
Has Liked: 2268 times

Post by dsr » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:28 pm

Foulthrow wrote:To be fair do you not think that all teams will be looking at this closely for next season?

It won't help as much as it might. VAR will (unless the officials change their attitude) give even more penalties to teams who dive, because the slightest of contact is routinely given as a foul to players who dive; but that same contact or worse will not be given (or even looked at) for a player who doesn't dive.

Foulthrow

Post by Foulthrow » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:28 pm

ClaretTony wrote:You are spot on with Palace, 10 pens scored and they scored a total of 41 goals.

I don't have a list of penalties that weren't scored (missed or saved) but the final totals of goals scored from penalties in the Premier League by club were:

10: Crystal Palace
9: Manchester United
7: Bournemouth, Liverpool
5: Brighton, Chelsea, Leicester, West Ham
4: Arsenal, Southampton, Tottenham, Wolves
3: Cardiff, Manchester City
2: Burnley, Everton. Fulham
1: Huddersfield, Newcastle, Watford
Really interesting stat that. People who claim it's our style of play that limits pens yet City only got one more. But the amount that Palace get is ridiculous.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11050 times
Has Liked: 5658 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:29 pm

out of all the things I'm concerned about this isn't one of them. We are going to sign 3 quality players this summer and get into the top 4 and comfortably finish about Man Utd and Chelsea

Foulthrow

Post by Foulthrow » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:30 pm

dsr wrote:It won't help as much as it might. VAR will (unless the officials change their attitude) give even more penalties to teams who dive, because the slightest of contact is routinely given as a foul to players who dive; but that same contact or worse will not be given (or even looked at) for a player who doesn't dive.
I agree but I also think we will go down (and already do) when we are fouled in the box. We never got these fouls though and I suspect (hope!) that we will with VAR! (Long at Arsenal being a case in point).

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:31 pm

Just looked at the two previous seasons in the Premier League for the scored penalties

2016/17

7: Bournemouth, Liverpool, Manchester City
6: Burnley, Tottenham
5: Sunderland
4: Arsenal, Crystal Palace, Leicester, Stoke
3: Everton, Hull, Manchester United, Southampton, Swansea, West Ham
2: Chelsea, Middlesbrough, Watford
1: West Brom

2017/18:

8: Crystal Palace
6: Manchester City
5: Brighton, Everton, Leicester
4: Arsenal
3: Bournemouth, Chelsea, Southampton, Watford
2: Huddersfield, Liverpool, Tottenham, West Ham
1: Manchester United, Swansea, West Brom
0: Burnley

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2472 times
Has Liked: 2008 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:33 pm

[quote="Foulthrow] But the amount that Palace get is ridiculous.[/quote]
It helps having Zaha, who runs like Bambi on ice, and Townsend dribbling in the area.

Foulthrow

Post by Foulthrow » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:33 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Just looked at the two previous seasons in the Premier League for the scored penalties

2016/17

7: Bournemouth, Liverpool, Manchester City
6: Burnley, Tottenham
5: Sunderland
4: Arsenal, Crystal Palace, Leicester, Stoke
3: Everton, Hull, Manchester United, Southampton, Swansea, West Ham
2: Chelsea, Middlesbrough, Watford
1: West Brom

2017/18:

8: Crystal Palace
6: Manchester City
5: Brighton, Everton, Leicester
4: Arsenal
3: Bournemouth, Chelsea, Southampton, Watford
2: Huddersfield, Liverpool, Tottenham, West Ham
1: Manchester United, Swansea, West Brom
0: Burnley
Those stats blow a lot of my conspiracy theories out of the water. They probably also show that VAR is being brought in to solve a problem that doesn't exist!!!

Foulthrow

Post by Foulthrow » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:35 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:[quote="Foulthrow] But the amount that Palace get is ridiculous.
It helps having Zaha, who runs like Bambi on ice, and Townsend dribbling in the area.[/quote][/quote]

But City have even more players like this and - at a guess - spend a lot more time in the box, yet didn't get them last year.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:37 pm

Foulthrow wrote:Those stats blow a lot of my conspiracy theories out of the water. They probably also show that VAR is being brought in to solve a problem that doesn't exist!!!
Palace have got a hell of a lot in the last two seasons and it is no surprise to see Bournemouth up there given their ability to go down. Dyche is still talking about the one recently in the 3-1 win, was it Josh King? Absolutely ridiculous.

I don't have the missed numbers but I seem to remember Palace missing quite a few in 2017/18.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:47 pm

Found these stats for penalties missed

2016/17

2: Arsenal, Crystal Palace, Manchester City
1: Everton, Leicester, Stoke, Tottenham

2017/18

2: Everton
1: Brighton, Crystal Palace, Leicester, Liverpool, Manchester United, Stoke, Watford, West Ham

2018/19

2: Manchester United
1: Bournemouth, Brighton, Cardiff, Crystal Palace, Everton, Manchester City, Newcastle, Southampton

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3863 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:00 pm

Palace have players that take you on at pace.

Whereas City try and pass it round you.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 1102 times

Post by bfcmik » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:21 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Palace have players that take you on at pace.

Whereas City try and pass it round you.
City usually pass it round you into the net!
This user liked this post: Quickenthetempo

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3080 times
Has Liked: 5053 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:28 pm

I think it benefits us.
As long as the rule had a grey area it will always be used to the advantage of the bigger teams. Now it is black and white, or should be, then Burnley are likely to get more penalties.
We dont get the benefit that often when in our own area, so although we might concede a couple more, hopefully we will be in credit come the end of the season.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Carport
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Carport » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:42 pm

The new handball rule may lead to more penalties but VAR is unlikely to

https://www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk/ ... t-forward/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:44 pm

It should be bad news for Koscielny and Arsenal next time they play us, but I suppose the ref will say it wasn't deliberate next time he knocks one into our goal...
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney