Anal Fissure

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
yosserhughes
Been Liked: 36 times
Has Liked: 365 times

Re: Anal Fissure

Post by yosserhughes » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:39 pm

[quote="Rick_Muller"

If it's any consolation I am going for the film crew up the shoot on the 29th for my regular check up (joy!) - it always surprises me how much length they can manage to insert up there...[/quote]

Hi Rick

Have this done every 12 months because of my Colitis, have to be put to sleep cos of the pain it causes me.
This user liked this post: middleton claret

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2632 times
Has Liked: 6442 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:00 pm

yosserhughes wrote:Hi Rick

Have this done every 12 months because of my Colitis, have to be put to sleep cos of the pain it causes me.
I’m meant to have every 12 months too... been 4 years since the last one, cancellation after cancellation (privatised NHS for you... but that’s another thread!)

Inchy
Been Liked: 1333 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:56 pm

Healeywoodclaret wrote:Surgery involves cutting into the sphincter muscle to control the spasms. Surgically there's not a lot they can do for fissures unless it's so big it requires a Stitch. Generally they have to heal by themselves and that can only happen if the spasms are controlled. The GTN widens the blood vessels allowing the fissure to heal. It's certainly been a learning curve. Thanks for your good wishes. Pain is very humbling!

The ops I have seen are fissures caused by ingrowing hair from the bottom into the bowel. In the op they remove a square cube of tissue and then the wound requires packing to heal over several weeks/months

Healeywoodclaret
Been Liked: 259 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:52 am

Inchy wrote:The ops I have seen are fissures caused by ingrowing hair from the bottom into the bowel. In the op they remove a square cube of tissue and then the wound requires packing to heal over several weeks/months
Yes I think that is when an ulcer it abscess develops which requires drainage, removal of tissue and packing. And yea that can take months to heal and sounds dreadful

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:27 am

Healeywoodclaret wrote:Yes I think that is when an ulcer it abscess develops which requires drainage, removal of tissue and packing. And yea that can take months to heal and sounds dreadful
Had 3 of these over the years - the surgery is nowhere near as nasty as it sounds. The pain from a perianal abscess exceeds that of childbirth apparently, but after the surgery it’s very mild discomfort for a few weeks or couple of months.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:48 pm

I am clenching my bum!
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Healeywoodclaret

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:45 am

Rick_Muller wrote:Had 3 of these over the years - the surgery is nowhere near as nasty as it sounds. The pain from a perianal abscess exceeds that of childbirth apparently, but after the surgery it’s very mild discomfort for a few weeks or couple of months.
I can believe that the pain exceeded that if childbirth Rick. I'm hoping I don't have an abscess as the pain does subside after a few hours. Is this the case with an abscess?

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:08 am

Healeywoodclaret wrote:I can believe that the pain exceeded that if childbirth Rick. I'm hoping I don't have an abscess as the pain does subside after a few hours. Is this the case with an abscess?
The abscesses I've had the pain was pretty much intense all of the time, and not subsiding at all. I had them dealt with within 48 hours each time though, so I cant say whether the pain would subside in any way. The thing I felt about abscesses is that they build up and the pressure just increases as the fluid has no where to go until it either bursts or is lanced in surgery.

I hope you get relief from it soon, it is really quite debilitating having pain in that region of your body - I look quite "normal" to most people and they have no idea of the constant battle I have with my mental health because of the pain from my disease - I do have "better" days, but most days aren't great even if I am in clinical remission at the moment.

Healeywoodclaret

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:34 am

Rick_Muller wrote:The abscesses I've had the pain was pretty much intense all of the time, and not subsiding at all. I had them dealt with within 48 hours each time though, so I cant say whether the pain would subside in any way. The thing I felt about abscesses is that they build up and the pressure just increases as the fluid has no where to go until it either bursts or is lanced in surgery.

I hope you get relief from it soon, it is really quite debilitating having pain in that region of your body - I look quite "normal" to most people and they have no idea of the constant battle I have with my mental health because of the pain from my disease - I do have "better" days, but most days aren't great even if I am in clinical remission at the moment.
Hells Teeth Rick you are a brave man. So you must be under constant follow up by the Colorectal Team? Did they say what causes the abscesses?

I haven't had a proper examination. I've been told to use this GTN ointment for six to 8 weeks in the hope that the fissure heals over that time. The pain is intense but can subside in 4 to 6 hours. I've been signed off work with rectal pain. I've been using this treatment only 2 weeks. I've had good days and bad days during this time but today is not great and I feel disheartened because when I have a good day I think I've turned the corner. They say if this doesn't work they will have to examine me using anaesthetic. My main problem is it takes me 4 attempts every morning to clear myself out. I wake up in the middle of the night feeling the urge which is really difficult to put off but if I give in my day can start at 0200hrs with pain and it's impossible to go back to sleep. Im starting to worry because I need to get back to work but I was warned this may take several weeks to heal.

Does this sound similar to your problems? How come you've had surgery 3 times? Why can it not be cured once and for all? I totally empathise with you. It's depressing and impossible to work with this condition.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6477 times
Has Liked: 2908 times

Post by Steve1956 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:47 am

Healeywoodclaret wrote:Hells Teeth Rick you are a brave man. So you must be under constant follow up by the Colorectal Team? Did they say what causes the abscesses?

I haven't had a proper examination. I've been told to use this GTN ointment for six to 8 weeks in the hope that the fissure heals over that time. The pain is intense but can subside in 4 to 6 hours. I've been signed off work with rectal pain. I've been using this treatment only 2 weeks. I've had good days and bad days during this time but today is not great and I feel disheartened because when I have a good day I think I've turned the corner. They say if this doesn't work they will have to examine me using anaesthetic. My main problem is it takes me 4 attempts every morning to clear myself out. I wake up in the middle of the night feeling the urge which is really difficult to put off but if I give in my day can start at 0200hrs with pain and it's impossible to go back to sleep. Im starting to worry because I need to get back to work but I was warned this may take several weeks to heal.

Does this sound similar to your problems? How come you've had surgery 3 times? Why can it not be cured once and for all? I totally empathise with you. It's depressing and impossible to work with this condition.
That's sounds an horrible thing to have to put up with,good luck in your battle against it.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:07 am

Never heard of this before but I feel ill just reading it. Just as a point of interest I would imagine a visit to the toilet is not something to be anticipated with any deep sense of joy?

Reminds me of the old joke: with friends like these who needs enemas.

Seriously though if you have this it sounds awful.

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:23 am

Healeywoodclaret wrote:Hells Teeth Rick you are a brave man. So you must be under constant follow up by the Colorectal Team? Did they say what causes the abscesses?

the cause is my bowel disease (colitis) that results in ulcers in my large bowel, and I am under permanent care at the hospital and I have my own nurses I can bother when I need to. I think I was unlucky with the surgery, as the first one didn't heal properly (I didn't find out until the abscess returned) and then my delightful anus decided to change sides where it wanted another hole for the third one... ;) all in all I think I am quite lucky as I still have a functioning back end, albeit with the usual complications with my disease.

I'm afraid that the only advice I can offer is a sitz bath (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Medipaq-Portab ... pons&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) - it converts your toilet into a bath for your butt. I use this when I have small tears and small fissures, you can fill it with warm salty water (stings at first but I felt it does help healing), or just warm water to soak your back end and help sooth the pain whilst cleaning it too, but check with your doctor first that it is appropriate for your needs.

Healeywoodclaret

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:22 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:the cause is my bowel disease (colitis) that results in ulcers in my large bowel, and I am under permanent care at the hospital and I have my own nurses I can bother when I need to. I think I was unlucky with the surgery, as the first one didn't heal properly (I didn't find out until the abscess returned) and then my delightful anus decided to change sides where it wanted another hole for the third one... ;) all in all I think I am quite lucky as I still have a functioning back end, albeit with the usual complications with my disease.

I'm afraid that the only advice I can offer is a sitz bath (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Medipaq-Portab ... pons&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) - it converts your toilet into a bath for your butt. I use this when I have small tears and small fissures, you can fill it with warm salty water (stings at first but I felt it does help healing), or just warm water to soak your back end and help sooth the pain whilst cleaning it too, but check with your doctor first that it is appropriate for your needs.

Thank you for sharing all of this Rick. Long may you be free from pain.

From what I've told you does it sound like simple anal fissure to you? Sounds like you are pre disposed to those as well you poor thing.

Healeywoodclaret

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:29 pm

houseboy wrote:Never heard of this before but I feel ill just reading it. Just as a point of interest I would imagine a visit to the toilet is not something to be anticipated with any deep sense of joy?

Reminds me of the old joke: with friends like these who needs enemas.

Seriously though if you have this it sounds awful.
The need to visit the toilet brings a feeling of dread and some anxiety. I think learning how to manage it has been a huge learning curve and I'm still hoping current treatment will work without the need for surgical intervention. Anal fissures are common apparently so never take the most important job of the day for granted girls and boys. Easy does it!
These 2 users liked this post: houseboy Rick_Muller

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:44 pm

Healeywoodclaret wrote:Thank you for sharing all of this Rick. Long may you be free from pain.

From what I've told you does it sound like simple anal fissure to you? Sounds like you are pre disposed to those as well you poor thing.
No problem sharing the info, I'm told often that I talk a lot of sh!t ;)

I wouldn't like to say whether yours is similar to what I suffer with, I'm no medical expert really and I dont think any anal fissure can be described as simple either - but that said, from what you've described it does sound like a nasty one. My advice is that if you are worried about it, and want it checking out get back to your doctors for reassurance and advice and see if there's anything else that can be done to help you.

good luck Healeywoodclaret I hope you get relief soon :)

Healeywoodclaret

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:25 am

Rick_Muller wrote:No problem sharing the info, I'm told often that I talk a lot of sh!t ;)

I wouldn't like to say whether yours is similar to what I suffer with, I'm no medical expert really and I dont think any anal fissure can be described as simple either - but that said, from what you've described it does sound like a nasty one. My advice is that if you are worried about it, and want it checking out get back to your doctors for reassurance and advice and see if there's anything else that can be done to help you.

good luck Healeywoodclaret I hope you get relief soon :)
Thanks Rick.

I have seen the Colorectal Team and that's their diagnosis based on the symptoms. I've been using the GTN almost two weeks and have seen some small improvements, no blood, a little easier to go, the pain afterwards not quite as severe as it has been so I'm hopeful. I have a follow up booked in a few weeks time.

I've found it helpful talking to you. I must say personal as it is it's been my main topic of conversation this last few weeks and if I ever recover I will never take it for granted because I will never forget the pain.

Best wishes for the future and as you say it's all about good management of the condition.