" Vote Rigging " Sunday Times report & comments ...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Re: " Vote Rigging " Sunday Times report & comments ...

Post by Lowbankclaret » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:04 pm

One person claimed he had with two others burnt around 1000 Brexit voting papers. People got screen shots and reported it to the police.
Another care worker claimed he and other care workers had filled in postal vote for patients. That was also reported to the police.
The bookies got it massively wrong, the polls got it massively wrong.
There was a large increase in postal votes.

Labour employed a guy who had been in prison for vote rigging and he was at the count, but denied he was there, until photos of him being there were produced.

I am going to say it was rigged.
This user liked this post: AndyClaret

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:32 pm

In 2015 the national average for postal ballots was 21,2% so Peterborough having 29.1% postal ballots is definitely significantly higher, but that can have perfectly reasonable explanations, such as campaign volunteers being more focus on one election than on 650 elections, so it would be better to compare that 29.1% with postal vote proportions from other by-elections, in particular closely fought ones.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:38 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:One person claimed he had with two others burnt around 1000 Brexit voting papers. People got screen shots and reported it to the police.
Another care worker claimed he and other care workers had filled in postal vote for patients. That was also reported to the police.
The bookies got it massively wrong, the polls got it massively wrong.
There was a large increase in postal votes.

Labour employed a guy who had been in prison for vote rigging and he was at the count, but denied he was there, until photos of him being there were produced.

I am going to say it was rigged.
I'm trying to find polling on the peterborough by-election with little joy. If you have links to some/any it'd be appreciated if you could share them.

And "the bookies got it wrong" is not a credible thing to say since the bookies don't set prices, bettors do, and just because someone has a greater than 50% chance of winning something, and then they don't win, doesn't mean the probability of them winning it was "wrong". Please teach yourself how bookies prices change, and how to apply probability theory.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:53 pm

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the tweet by Chris Newsem highlighted on this "news" page seems to have a date of two years ago. https://unitynewsnetwork.co.uk/claims-o ... ial-media/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They're claiming that 60% of votes came from postal ballots, which I also don't think is true,

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:01 pm

AndrewJB wrote:Can someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the tweet by Chris Newsem highlighted on this "news" page seems to have a date of two years ago. https://unitynewsnetwork.co.uk/claims-o ... ial-media/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They're claiming that 60% of votes came from postal ballots, which I also don't think is true,

That website isn't reliable as a source of news.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/unity-news-network/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lord Rothbury
Been Liked: 133 times
Has Liked: 68 times

Post by Lord Rothbury » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:02 pm

So there is a sizable increase in the number of postal votes mostly for the Labour candidate.There is an Asian involved with past history for vote rigging in favour of the Labour party. We now continue to say there is no conspiratory against the Brexit party.Lets have a rerun "Peoples vote " in Peterborough.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:11 pm

Lord Rothbury wrote:So there is a sizable increase in the number of postal votes mostly for the Labour candidate.
Source?

There is an Asian involved with past history for vote rigging in favour of the Labour party.
I'm not sure what his ethnicity has to do wit... oh, right.
And was he involved? I understand he was present, and it's fair to ask why he was present, but was he actually involved in the counting?

We now continue to say there is no conspiratory against the Brexit party.Lets have a rerun "Peoples vote " in Peterborough.
Well, there's just allegations right now. If fraud is demonstrated then of course the election results should be voided.

But i'd like to know where you got information that there was a "sizeable increase" in the number of postal votes and that they were mostly for the Labour candidate.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:12 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:You describe three examples of where the allowing the use biometric data is a choice made by the individual for their own personal convenience.

The government already has my name and address so that I can vote, and i'm ok with that. I'm OK with them requiring that i provide identification that they have issued in order to vote (providing it's equally accessible to everyone by being free), but i don't want the government having a record of any of my biometric information. I don't mind if others don't care if their biometric data is stored by the government, but I do. So such a requirement would disenfranchise me. But worse than that it would discourage dissent among a population if ever our government becomes the type of government that would use a person's private information to either embarrass them or simply lie about them.
I used to think bluelab was the biggest conspiracy theorist/tinfoil hat wearer on here, but I think they've got serious competition now...

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:14 pm

dsr wrote:Stamping out fraud isn't the only objective of life. Tattooing our names on our foreheads would also help stamp out fraud; but people would still object to it. Don't automatically assume that anything that reduces fraud is an unalloyed good.

Obviously there isa the other side of the question too, ie. would a national identity card actually help stamp out fraud? In some ways it would help; in others, it would make it easier.
Make it easier in what way?
Apart from something else for fraudsters to make copies of, of course..

Lord Rothbury
Been Liked: 133 times
Has Liked: 68 times

Post by Lord Rothbury » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:19 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Source?
It is not the counting that matters it is the form filling out.
I was only pointing out the ethnicity of the man involved... oh right
29 % of the vote against the average 21% or thereabouts

I'm not sure what his ethnicity has to do wit... oh, right.
And was he involved? I understand he was present, and it's fair to ask why he was present, but was he actually involved in the counting?

Well, there's just allegations right now. If fraud is demonstrated then of course the election results should be voided.

But i'd like to know where you got information that there was a "sizeable increase" in the number of postal votes and that they were mostly for the Labour candidate.

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:35 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:You describe three examples of where the allowing the use biometric data is a choice made by the individual for their own personal convenience.

The government already has my name and address so that I can vote, and i'm ok with that. I'm OK with them requiring that i provide identification that they have issued in order to vote (providing it's equally accessible to everyone by being free), but i don't want the government having a record of any of my biometric information. I don't mind if others don't care if their biometric data is stored by the government, but I do. So such a requirement would disenfranchise me. But worse than that it would discourage dissent among a population if ever our government becomes the type of government that would use a person's private information to either embarrass them or simply lie about them.
I take it that you don't go abroad much IT?
Every country I fly to requires me to scan my passport, scan my fingers and look into a camera, this includes when I return to the UK.
It doesn't bother me either, I've nothing to hide. It's a small price to pay for the ability to see and experience the world with my own eyes instead of through a computer screen.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:45 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:I used to think bluelab was the biggest conspiracy theorist/tinfoil hat wearer on here, but I think they've got serious competition now...
lol. Because i dont' trust my government? You're not supposed to trust your government, you daft sod.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1643 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:03 pm

Is there any reason why a postal vote could not be an online vote instead? If we can pay bills online with appropriate security it doesn’t seem unrealistic to have accurate online voting.

I would agree the system is ripe for fraud - the number of hands a ballot paper goes through has to be tightly controlled.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:23 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:Is there any reason why a postal vote could not be an online vote instead? If we can pay bills online with appropriate security it doesn’t seem unrealistic to have accurate online voting.

I would agree the system is ripe for fraud - the number of hands a ballot paper goes through has to be tightly controlled.
Online voting would be an awful idea. Security would be a massive issue (as it is with bill paying), but if you think postal voting is open to fraud then online voting will make your head explode.

Postal vote fraud, when it occurs, is pretty small scale. Online voting will turn voter fraud into election fraud that can rig an entire country's election.
That would make it pretty funny to implement, but it's not something you should want if you want to trust your election results and the process by which they are reached.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:49 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:lol. Because i dont' trust my government? You're not supposed to trust your government, you daft sod.
Nah, because you're paranoid to **** that's why.

I've never trusted any government, from either party, they just running a big con and lining their own pockets.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:15 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Nah, because you're paranoid to **** that's why.

I've never trusted any government, from either party, they just running a big con and lining their own pockets.

In what way am i paranoid? Look around the world and you see government misusing data to target dissidents. Honk Kong being the most recent example.

If this country is on the bring of electing a white nationalist government, which I think it is, I certainly don't want that government having any more information about me, or anyone else, than is absolutely necessary. That's not paranoia.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2335 times
Has Liked: 1040 times

Post by Clarets4me » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:37 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:In what way am I paranoid ? If this country is on the brink of electing a white nationalist government, which I think it is ....
I think he's finally imploded ....
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

aggi
Been Liked: 2116 times

Post by aggi » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:53 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:How could it be in any way useful as a form of ID if a copy of your fingerprint isn't held by the government?
Realistically it'd more likely be held by Capita or someone ...

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:57 pm

In 2015 there was a review of electoral fraud. It found 1522 alleged offences out of 104,000,000 votes over 10 years. Tell me again how not needing ID is ridiculous.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... pdf#page42" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:55 pm

Just like all the allegations of students voting two female in the last election. Only one person charged.

dsr
Been Liked: 4575 times
Has Liked: 2263 times

Post by dsr » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:57 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Make it easier in what way?
Apart from something else for fraudsters to make copies of, of course..
If there is one single document/card that proves who you are for all purposes, then the thieves only have to steal, clone, or copy one card, and they're into everything.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:11 am

dsr wrote:If there is one single document/card that proves who you are for all purposes, then the thieves only have to steal, clone, or copy one card, and they're into everything.
Driving licence will always be the first thing I hand over

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:13 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:In what way am i paranoid? Look around the world and you see government misusing data to target dissidents. Honk Kong being the most recent example.

If this country is on the bring of electing a white nationalist government, which I think it is, I certainly don't want that government having any more information about me, or anyone else, than is absolutely necessary. That's not paranoia.
i-wouldnt-be-so-paranoid-if-everyone-wasnt-out-to-get-me.jpg
i-wouldnt-be-so-paranoid-if-everyone-wasnt-out-to-get-me.jpg (107.69 KiB) Viewed 1768 times

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:14 am

dsr wrote:If there is one single document/card that proves who you are for all purposes, then the thieves only have to steal, clone, or copy one card, and they're into everything.
And for anything containing biometric information the issue will be much worse. You can't change your fingerprint or iris or whatever. The implications of this are only just starting to be considered.

dsr

Post by dsr » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:15 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:If this country is on the bring of electing a white nationalist government, which I think it is, I certainly don't want that government having any more information about me, or anyone else, than is absolutely necessary. That's not paranoia.
What country are you in?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:17 am

dsr wrote:What country are you in?
Unfortunately it isn't his beloved Scotland, with its nationalist ruling party.

Caballo
Been Liked: 421 times
Has Liked: 433 times

Post by Caballo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:32 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:

THE PLOT,

I'll leave that for you Turtle, you appear to have lost it.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:39 am

aggi wrote:And for anything containing biometric information the issue will be much worse. You can't change your fingerprint or iris or whatever. The implications of this are only just starting to be considered.
You forget that your fingerprint or iris will be converted into digital information once stored in a computer, thus it's therefore still possible for someone to get hold of that info.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4185 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:50 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:I used to think bluelab was the biggest conspiracy theorist/tinfoil hat wearer on here, but I think they've got serious competition now...

bluelab is more a turtlelight when it comes to the tin foil stakes

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:46 pm

Caballo wrote:THE PLOT,

I'll leave that for you Turtle, you appear to have lost it.
A very intelligent reply to my post. Well done. I like how you didn't have to think about what i said in order to make it too.

dsr

Post by dsr » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:56 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:A very intelligent reply to my post. Well done. I like how you didn't have to think about what i said in order to make it too.
Considering that your level of discussion includes comments like "Take your meds", I don't see how you can really object to the level of reply.
These 2 users liked this post: RingoMcCartney Rowls

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:45 pm

dsr wrote:Considering that your level of discussion includes comments like "Take your meds", I don't see how you can really object to the level of reply.
That was in reply to someone who was replying to their other account. It wasn't an argument, it was a serious suggestion. If you were publicly talking to yourself wouldn't you want someone to help you?

dsr

Post by dsr » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:11 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:That was in reply to someone who was replying to their other account. It wasn't an argument, it was a serious suggestion. If you were publicly talking to yourself wouldn't you want someone to help you?
I would leave diagnosis of mental illness to the professionals if I were you. However much of an expert you believe yourself to be.
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:26 pm

So have we found a solution that doesn't disenfranchise thousands of people yet?

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4185 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:27 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:So have we found a solution that doesn't disenfranchise thousands of people yet?

Millions not thousands

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:28 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Millions not thousands
Guess so, never realised that postal voting was so high

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:30 pm

Spijed wrote:You forget that your fingerprint or iris will be converted into digital information once stored in a computer, thus it's therefore still possible for someone to get hold of that info.
In theory once it's digitised it should be salted and hashed. That should mean that it's impossible to go from the stored data back to the original data. As we've all seen though, what should be done isn't always what is done.

dsr

Post by dsr » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:43 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:So have we found a solution that doesn't disenfranchise thousands of people yet?
Here's my solution.

1. Postal votes only available on request in person. People on holiday or working away can apply at the Town Hall or some other suitable council premises. Disabled people can be looked after by a council official visiting their homes.

2. Police on duty at polling stations, as they always used to be. They are trained observers and will spot many instances of personation, and they are also figures of authority who can prevent any breaches of law. Electoral officers on duty at polling stations are told to turn a blind eye.

3. Rules of secret ballot strictly adhered to. Specifically, any ballot paper which is shown to anyone after leaving the booth and before putting it in the box is disqualified; and anyone who attempts to accompany someone else into the booth (unless the other party is disabled and cannot vote independently) must be stopped from doing so.
This user liked this post: Rowls

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:45 pm

dsr wrote:Here's my solution.

1. Postal votes only available on request in person. People on holiday or working away can apply at the Town Hall or some other suitable council premises. Disabled people can be looked after by a council official visiting their homes.

2. Police on duty at polling stations, as they always used to be. They are trained observers and will spot many instances of personation, and they are also figures of authority who can prevent any breaches of law. Electoral officers on duty at polling stations are told to turn a blind eye.

3. Rules of secret ballot strictly adhered to. Specifically, any ballot paper which is shown to anyone after leaving the booth and before putting it in the box is disqualified; and anyone who attempts to accompany someone else into the booth (unless the other party is disabled and cannot vote independently) must be stopped from doing so.

:lol: council officials visiting voters in their homes.

:lol:

That won't cause further suspicion at all.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:51 pm

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/po ... r-slapped-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;£1000-fine-election-watchdog

Looks like they have been cooking the books too

SingaporeClarets
Been Liked: 43 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by SingaporeClarets » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:56 pm

It's a secret ballot but the serial number is still recorded against your name.

Didn't someone get arrested a few years ago because one of the candidates took objection to comments made on a spoilt ballot paper about them?

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:00 pm

Seems this was sour grapes after all. From The Guardian:

'Police investigating an allegation of the burning of ballots in the Peterborough by-election have concluded that no offences were committed, the Press Association reports. Cambridgeshire Police previously said no crimes were revealed in respect of one allegation of bribery and two relating to postal votes. The force said that it had concluded its investigation into an allegation of the burning of ballots, with no crime found to be committed. The investigation into a fifth allegation, of a breach of the privacy of the vote, is continuing. The Brexit party claimed last month that vote-rigging may have played a role in Labour’s wafer-thin victory in the by-election. Labour rubbished these claims as a “desperate attempt” to excuse a defeat, describing the allegations as “nonsense”.'

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10237 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:44 pm

So, complete ******** then. Oh dear.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:56 pm

martin_p wrote:Seems this was sour grapes after all. From The Guardian:

'Police investigating an allegation of the burning of ballots in the Peterborough by-election have concluded that no offences were committed, the Press Association reports. Cambridgeshire Police previously said no crimes were revealed in respect of one allegation of bribery and two relating to postal votes. The force said that it had concluded its investigation into an allegation of the burning of ballots, with no crime found to be committed. The investigation into a fifth allegation, of a breach of the privacy of the vote, is continuing. The Brexit party claimed last month that vote-rigging may have played a role in Labour’s wafer-thin victory in the by-election. Labour rubbished these claims as a “desperate attempt” to excuse a defeat, describing the allegations as “nonsense”.'

It really doesn't matter. The intent of the accusations were to feed into the right's sense of victimisation which is not reliant on being supported by facts, so there's no investigation that finds no wrong-doing that will change these minds that they weren't stitched up. This was about undermining faith in our Democracy, it was never about the truth.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:50 pm

Undermining faith in democracy?

That's been going on for a few years now, minimum, last I checked.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:29 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Undermining faith in democracy?

That's been going on for a few years now, minimum, last I checked.
Yep. But i suspect you're talking about the government not implementing a type of Brexit that wasn't promised by Vote Leave, while i'm talking about people trying to undermine faith in democracy.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:35 pm

SingaporeClarets wrote:It's a secret ballot but the serial number is still recorded against your name.

Didn't someone get arrested a few years ago because one of the candidates took objection to comments made on a spoilt ballot paper about them?
Doubt anyone would ever be arrested as it would mean it's not a secret ballot.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:51 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Yep. But i suspect you're talking about the government not implementing a type of Brexit that wasn't promised by Vote Leave, while i'm talking about people trying to undermine faith in democracy.
I know you're gagging for an argument, as always, but the type of Brexit voted for was quite simple.

To leave.

Trying to move the goalposts afterwards is still amusing.

If you don't like what the options were go whinge about it to your local MP.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:23 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:I know you're gagging for an argument, as always, but the type of Brexit voted for was quite simple.

To leave.

Trying to move the goalposts afterwards is still amusing.

If you don't like what the options were go whinge about it to your local MP.
Yes. moving the goalposts is indeed amusing. Which is why I find it funny that Farage and his sort who campaigned for a soft brexit in order to win the referendum are now saying that the only acceptable Brexit is a no deal brexit.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:10 am

I'm sure Farage advocated a Norway style brexit,which most people would accept,and would likely pass though parliament,if the hard brexiteers continue to push for a no-deal,it's much more likely that they'll cause a no brexit outcome.